Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
Lake Park Raceway is a permenant facility centered around one large lake inside of a valley. This setting provides rather smooth elevation changes that blend nicely with the course's long, fast bends.

kejMWdd.jpg

Turns 1 and 2 are identical to Apricot Hill's first two turns except they are on an uphill rather than a downhill. Turn 3 is a stable and smooth right hand bend, followed by a very slight decline. Turn 4 is a large sweeper on the edge of a small cliff, bordered by guard rails. The descent into Turn 5 rapidly sharpens, and continues through the turn into Turns 6-8 being a very fast turn complex. The road sharply ascends after turn 8, smoothing out across Turn 9, cresting and slightly dropping into Turn 10. The gradual ascent that follows makes Turn 11 a blind bend. Turns 12-14 are on the following descent, before Turn 15 rising back to the start/finish straight.

GChI2zp.png

Unnamed circuit I made in paint. Based off Streets of Willow, this is made to be a test track. Turns 2-6 gently dip and climb around some rolling hills. The section labeled "Autocross" is entirely on a skid pad, with Turns 8 and 9 being marked by nothing but cones.

Hi there, everyone. =) Just signed up here, thought this looked like fun. Allows me scope to be creative and such. Here's my first shot at a track, using Paint.NET. Very useful with the layers and such, plus it's totally free. Not come up with a name for it yet, I've still to improve there, but I wanted something with a nice variety of corner types. Hopefully it's worked.

Track1_zps12877375.png

Track Length: 5.676 km

One-and-a-quarter kilometre main straight drops downhill into Bomber, continuing the descent toward Turns 2 and 3, levelling out before the heavy braking zone at the Vice hairpin. A quick right at Turn 5 heads into the flat yet twisty infield section. Turn 6 leads into the River chicane, through the lefts of 9 and 10, before the double-apex Clubhouse right-hander. A kink at Turn 12 starts the climb back uphill, following through 13 towards the off-camber Radar. An unassuming Turn 15 leads into the long, sweeping arc of Terminal around the top of the circuit, emerging back onto the main straight.

Welcome to :gtplanet:! Have a good time, and try to maintain the quality of your previous post. 👍

:gtpflag:

Nice design anyway. I'd cut the chicane personally, but fair dues.

Another shot at putting a track together. Started out with the main layout in black, and then added a few alternate layout ideas in gray.

Track2_zps0592a14f.png

Track Length: 4.290 km

Fairly short and fairly flat offering. A sharp Turn 1 and a wider Turn 2 kick off the lap, into the first heavy braking zone and overtaking opportunity at Turn 3. Kink at Turn 4 precedes a decidedly tight Turn 5 at the start of Sector 2. Turn 6 sweeps left, leading up to the end of the North Circuit and a left-right-left complex. Sector 3 begins with the slower section of Turns 10 through 14, before the longest straight on the circuit into the final hairpin at Turn 15.

Nice to see some activity in this thread, may as well join in.

This is a digitised version of a design I found in a sketchpad while attempting to draw Code Geass characters. Elevation-wise, it'd be downhill through the first section until turns 6 & 7, then it'd begin to climb back up for turn 14, and then finally back down a little towards the finish line.
racetrack1.jpg

NFX
Welcome to the forum, beautiful looking track but overtaking looks like it could be difficult, following in a car's dirty air through the last sector will be hard and due to the nature of T1 it won't be easy to park the car at the apex but as I said it looks great.

So I threw together another circuit for my fictional motorsports series on another forum, but this is the first one I decided to share here.
Yakumicha%20Circuit.png

The layout displayed is the 5.256km Grand Prix circuit, intended for international motorsports and top-level domestic series. Two shorter layouts, the 3.256km National circuit and 1.962km Junior circuit can be used for lower level championships or for karting.

From the First corner to the exit of WhiteRock, the circuit flows downhill before leveling off for Shameimaru. The National circuit takes the second right-hander after Turn 7, bypassing the Junior circuit.

Exiting the Chicane, the track joins at the exit of the Junior circuit's 50R. Climbing 85R, the apex of 90R is the highest point of the Junior circuit. The Junior back straight and 55R are taken downhill, leveling off again for 25R through Junior pit exit before sloping downwards again. The middle third of the Valley corner marks the lowest point of the Junior circuit. Climbing out of the final third of Valley, 30R is taken as a slight left-hander to continue towards 50R, or an about-face to return to the National circuit.

Grand Prix corner 17 marks the beginning of the National circuit's climb back uphill. Flying up the National back straight, drivers ascend the Hairpin and HIEDA corners. The track levels off again for the West Chicane, with one last climb through the Final corner to the National pit straight.

There's quite a lot going on with that track. I imagine it would lead to eventful racing, though. Elevation changes seem to match the turns pretty well too.

Needed some ideas for tracks, so I started out by going to Google Maps and searching for my old high school. =D This was the end result.

Track3_zps253214a8.png

The run from the start/finish line to Elm is only a slight descent, before the track gradually drops through the surprisingly long Turn 2 and levels out for Bell, along with Turns 4, 5 and 6. The track starts undulating a lot more noticeably from this point, with Grove a sweeping uphill bend. Turn 8 flattens out a little, then Turn 9 resumes the climb up to the highest point on the track, Westfield. A fairly steep drop into 11 (with plenty of run-off) and through the right-left chicane of Douglas lead into a sharp Turn 14. Turn 15 ascends gently into a slower Turn 16, before the two 90-degree corners at Park, and the final tight left-hander leading back onto the main straight.

There is also a Club Circuit configuration, which follows the main track until Turn 6, where it continues through a small uphill zig-zag, rejoining the main track at Turn 14.

Oh, I guessed from the display. Hodori, right?
Yes, my main nation is Hodori. Since you recognised it from the style, I'm guessing you've seen my motorsports thread, then?

NFX
There's quite a lot going on with that track. I imagine it would lead to eventful racing, though. Elevation changes seem to match the turns pretty well too.
Thanks.

NFX
Needed some ideas for tracks, so I started out by going to Google Maps and searching for my old high school. =D This was the end result.

Track3_zps253214a8.png

The run from the start/finish line to Elm is only a slight descent, before the track gradually drops through the surprisingly long Turn 2 and levels out for Bell, along with Turns 4, 5 and 6. The track starts undulating a lot more noticeably from this point, with Grove a sweeping uphill bend. Turn 8 flattens out a little, then Turn 9 resumes the climb up to the highest point on the track, Westfield. A fairly steep drop into 11 (with plenty of run-off) and through the right-left chicane of Douglas lead into a sharp Turn 14. Turn 15 ascends gently into a slower Turn 16, before the two 90-degree corners at Park, and the final tight left-hander leading back onto the main straight.

There is also a Club Circuit configuration, which follows the main track until Turn 6, where it continues through a small uphill zig-zag, rejoining the main track at Turn 14.
It might be because of how it's drawn, but at first Elm and Turn 6 (and 19, sorta) seemed a bit sharp to me. But now, after looking at it for a bit, they're growing on me. Maybe increase the radius of those corners a little? Either way they seem fine now, and the map on a whole is rather nice.

Yes, my main nation is Hodori. Since you recognised it from the style, I'm guessing you've seen my motorsports thread, then?

Yup, Nekoni here. This forum is pretty much where I cut my teeth doing track design.

There's a couple of racing series in NS Sports where all the tracks are custom made maps. There's no thread like this because presumably there isn't that much demand for it, but still.

Raceway of the Spartans

http://www.imgur.com/89zDx6S (Image won't show)

Turns 1-4 are all slightly downhill, which intensifies through turns 5-9. The elevation snaps back up through turns 10 and 11, smoothing out but continuing to climb through turn 12 and its following straightaway. Turn 13 crests a hill at the apex, diving down into turns 14 and 15. The rest of the circuit climbs back to the start/finish straight.

P.S: If anyone uses reddit, there's an entire Subreddit dedicated to designing tracks. It's called r/racetrackdesigns.

So I threw together another circuit for my fictional motorsports series on another forum, but this is the first one I decided to share here.
Yakumicha%20Circuit.png

Looks like Suzuka For the first 1/3 or the track. Even them names of your corners are similar. I like the rest of the track but the first bit just seems like you had no imagination or you were inspired by it (Suzuka) too much.

Yes, it is. Filepath gave it away?

Some progress on translating it to 3D:
WIP%20Circuit%20Render%2002.png

WIP%20Circuit%20Render%2003.png

WIP%20Circuit%20Render%2004.png
This is good work, I need to get back on to Sketchup and get some tracks done, I fell over trying to come up with a good technique for getting the 3D terrain and the track layout to intersect, whilst still keeping the track in a fashion I could tweak it after it was intersected.

Lake Park Raceway is a permenant facility centered around one large lake inside of a valley. This setting provides rather smooth elevation changes that blend nicely with the course's long, fast bends.

kejMWdd.jpg

Turns 1 and 2 are identical to Apricot Hill's first two turns except they are on an uphill rather than a downhill. Turn 3 is a stable and smooth right hand bend, followed by a very slight decline. Turn 4 is a large sweeper on the edge of a small cliff, bordered by guard rails. The descent into Turn 5 rapidly sharpens, and continues through the turn into Turns 6-8 being a very fast turn complex. The road sharply ascends after turn 8, smoothing out across Turn 9, cresting and slightly dropping into Turn 10. The gradual ascent that follows makes Turn 11 a blind bend. Turns 12-14 are on the following descent, before Turn 15 rising back to the start/finish straight.
This makes me think of Laguna Seca.. but I like it!

Back