Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
Santa Monica Street Circuit (Los Angeles, CA)

zlvszd.jpg

Here's another one that I found in my drawer, a three-layout track with the same sort of idea as the last one.
IMG_0010[1].JPG

Key differences include an additional pit lane for the 8-turn 'Club' layout - more a circuit for smaller touring car races than anything - and a greater focus on smooth and sweeping turns.

I was cleaning out my photos on my phone and among all the bad selfies and memes, I found this:

Screenshot_2015-06-07-19-44-55_1.jpg

I was clearly so proud of it I took a screenshot of it... I think it would be better if it ran the other way, though.

I keep making tracks in classes so I'll post the best ones.

Here one from World Studies. It runs counter clockwise starting at the half dash

image.jpeg

I've been a big fan of the Rouen Les Essarts track since it first appeared in games but it would obviously be no good for modern racing if it still existed for many reasons, so I wanted to see what a modern version might be like. The idea is that this could be located anywhere in the world, the original location is no longer available, but it would follow the rough layout of the original track and of course have a total change to the runoff/scenery, a totally modern circuit. The most important thing is that the elevation and camber would be emulated, as would most of the fun corners.

Guh90YN.jpg

The yellow line is the old final 1970s route, the blue line is my new layout. The first downhill sweepers of the old track would be easy flat and boring to modern F1 and LMP cars so they're both tightened to something enough to force them to lift before rejoining the original route, I modeled them on the first part of Pouhon at Spa. Six Freres would be a fast kink without the chicane into a mostly similar Nouveaux Monde hairpin. Again a totally modern track though, no cobbles or anything.

Follow the original track design before adding an extra corner onto the old 50s route briefly, then rejoining the last route which again i'd just tighten up a bit through the esses, make them more of a corner for modern cars. A final little kink into the final turn Paradis.

I'd love to see a track like this made as a mod for a PC game, I have zero skill in doing that myself.

Inspired by one of the challenges in the track design competition thread, I tried doing a re-design of Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
New Catalunya.jpg

Immediately, you can see that I've essentially Tilked the place. Sharp, medium to low-speed corners are a big theme in this version of the circuit, making it a point-and-squirt ring of tarmac.

The first change I've made is sharpening and shortening the first chicane, making for a longer braking zone and speeding up the approach to the sweeping turn 3 - a turn now entered via a sharper kink that turns the bend into a double-apex deal and de-stabilises the car, encouraging different driving lines and therefore a few more overtaking manoeuvres. Turn 4 has been stolen from Fuji Speedway and contrasts against the rest of the corners in the track for the primary purpose of making setting the car up that little bit harder than before.

Turn 5 is largely the same as before the redesign, but with a slight re-profile that gives it two apexes. Turn 6 remains untouched in the name of keeping the feel of the circuit in some state that resembles the current layout before the changes resume after turn 8. The chicane here is a re-profiling of the existing chicane that sharpens it up and opens up another clear overtaking opportunity.

Turn 11 feeds through a shorter sprint into another chicane that allows drivers who are following close to put pressure on or pass the driver in front. The right-hand turn 14 is sharper than the original double-apex turn that always seemed pointless to me. Its hard, straight braking zone encourages a further overtaking move and leads into the final two turns - both designed as they are for the purpose of controlling speed on the pit straight.

I also had a go at changing the Catalunya circuit. The blue is the proposed GP layout and the orange is alternate circuits based on the current layout.
GtlWyKs.jpg

I tried to keep the essence of the circuit, since its such a nice track to drive. The first sector stays original. Turn 5 becomes a 2-part 'double-apex' corner giving a straighter run down into the tightened Turn 7 and 8 complex. The high-speed Turn 9 stays the same but the run down into 10 is extended to give a better chance of overtaking. T10 has a similar profile as current.
Now, this is where the biggest change takes place. The left kink into/and the long, awful right-handed corner have been removed in favour of tight-ish right. The off-cambered right hand corner has also been replaced by a chicane. This means the run to the last corner (and first turn) has been extended which gives the following driver a better chance at making a move into T1.

Finally a place to publish track designs.
I hope you guys approve fantasy tracks or better explained tracks that don't have real world placement.
Hope you like it.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Work in progress by citroengt1:

This is my rough idea for a fiction race track for Gran Turismo.
Yes, it looks like a weird frog, but the Nurburgring looks like a pigs head,
yet it's one of the best track in the world.

The whole course is imagined to be built near the sea shore,
passing trough a thick pine forest, a small town and a steep mountain.

The turns are displayed by numbers (1),(2),(3)...
At the start, there is an easy, long turn (1),
which leads to a small, sharp S like turn (2).
From here, the road climbs very high up the mountain to the top, highest point in the track (3).
Then the track starts to run down around (4) & (5)
leading into a tunnel trough the mountain to turn (6) & (7).
Here the drivers race trough a underwater tunnel just 3 or 4 meters bellow the surface.
The Underwater tunnel is transparent to allow the daylight inside the tunnel.
After the tunnel, the track follows the shore, passing by the small town, the lowest part of the track (9).
Finally coming to the 360 degree turn which is curved towards inside (10) and reaching the finish line.

Anyway, here are some fictional and estimated info about the track:
Surface - Asphalt/concrete
Lenght - 15 km
Width - 11 meters widest
Turns - 10
Elevation change - 2300 meters

Gran_Turismo_6_Race_Track.png

Finally a place to publish track designs.
I hope you guys approve fantasy tracks or better explained tracks that don't have real world placement.
Hope you like it.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Work in progress by citroengt1:

This is my rough idea for a fiction race track for Gran Turismo.
Yes, it looks like a weird frog, but the Nurburgring looks like a pigs head,
yet it's one of the best track in the world.

The whole course is imagined to be built near the sea shore,
passing trough a thick pine forest, a small town and a steep mountain.

The turns are displayed by numbers (1),(2),(3)...
At the start, there is an easy, long turn (1),
which leads to a small, sharp S like turn (2).
From here, the road climbs very high up the mountain to the top, highest point in the track (3).
Then the track starts to run down around (4) & (5)
leading into a tunnel trough the mountain to turn (6) & (7).
Here the drivers race trough a underwater tunnel just 3 or 4 meters bellow the surface.
The Underwater tunnel is transparent to allow the daylight inside the tunnel.
After the tunnel, the track follows the shore, passing by the small town, the lowest part of the track (9).
Finally coming to the 360 degree turn which is curved towards inside (10) and reaching the finish line.

Anyway, here are some fictional and estimated info about the track:
Surface - Asphalt/concrete
Lenght - 15 km
Width - 11 meters widest
Turns - 10
Elevation change - 2300 meters

Gran_Turismo_6_Race_Track.png

That track looks more at in home in a Ridge Racer title or the abondoned "90's Arcade Racer" than Gran Turismo... But, I kind of like it.

The Vatican Ring, a street circuit in Rome that, you guessed it, encircles an entire state! If unique attributes are what people want to see from modern racetracks, then this one would certainly deliver.

My first go at this.

This is a rather long street circuit set in my hometown. Some facts:

-Pit row skips the last turn and takes the next right.
-DRS detection is before the S-curve on Industrial Drive, and DRS activation is on the following straight.
-Yes, there is a switchback at the bridge.

And, um, plenty of shorter circuits can be made from this titanic as reference.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6889103

Last edited:
So with the recent rumours of the old sections of the Osterreichring being restored, I thought I'd have a crack at creating a potential layout for a new Red Bull Ring.

red-bull-ring.png

The first corner is now a chicane similar to the first one a Monza. This leads into a series of esses on the site of the Hella-Licht chicane, however instead of blasting off down the old track you would be sent back towards the current one, rejoining it via a mid-speed left hander.
The run towards Remus is cut short as you take a tighter left to go back to the old track, with some more esses before turning towards the former Tiroch Kurve. I left this corner intact because....yes.
Finally another chicane at Remus puts you back on the current route for the remainder of the lap.

Last edited:
I thought I'd have a crack at creating a potential layout for a new Red Bull Ring.
I think there's a few too many corners there.

I like this version that I found on the internet, though it means cutting Hella Licht. I'm sure that it could be recreated, though:

images

A bunch of street circuits i made in Google Earth across Europe:

Berlin (3,20 miles):

30x7h3p.jpg

Moscow (3,10 miles):

160sri9.jpg

Paris (3,33 miles):

288tq2g.jpg

London (3,34 miles):
f41m48.jpg

It's intended to be more of a footrace than one with automobiles, but here's the Nurburgring Marathon, with the length of an official marathon in the world of running. The race starts at the beginning of a public lap at the Nurburgring, and goes along the GP circuit and the Nordschleife, then going along the highways near the track.

It's definitely not the best route I could have used, as I could have exchanged the extra highway section in favor of K72 (it appeared to look similar to the former Sudschleife).

Latest Posts

Back