Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
As a youngster frustrated with the Tilke-ification of various circuits I doodled up my own versions a while back that I felt would be superior. I've got a few pages of them, actually.
IMG_3233.JPG

So with the recent rumours of the old sections of the Osterreichring being restored, I thought I'd have a crack at creating a potential layout for a new Red Bull Ring.

View attachment 565349

The first corner is now a chicane similar to the first one a Monza. This leads into a series of esses on the site of the Hella-Licht chicane, however instead of blasting off down the old track you would be sent back towards the current one, rejoining it via a mid-speed left hander.
The run towards Remus is cut short as you take a tighter left to go back to the old track, with some more esses before turning towards the former Tiroch Kurve. I left this corner intact because....yes.
Finally another chicane at Remus puts you back on the current route for the remainder of the lap.
The layout reminds me this

37479-Ridge_Racer_Type_4_[U]-8.jpg

Done a draft on a re-doing of Monza tonight. I've of course applied a similar philosophy to this job as I have with Catalunya.
Barstool's Monza.png

I've again Tilked the place a bit, but tried to maintain the feel of the circuit to the greatest degree. The main changes are basically summarised by stating that I've applied a change resembling the proposed Rettifilio-Biassono re-profile and following with the current shape of the road up until the second Lesmo, which has been loosened into a kink with a long, curved exit. Roughly 450 metres down the road, a medium-sized chicane creates a new overtaking point. Business as usual through Ascari leads to a sharpened Parabolica, theoretically extending overtaking opportunities.

I'll come back with the final version if I can be bothered with creating it.

Done a draft on a re-doing of Monza tonight. I've of course applied a similar philosophy to this job as I have with Catalunya.View attachment 622515

I've again Tilked the place a bit, but tried to maintain the feel of the circuit to the greatest degree. The main changes are basically summarised by stating that I've applied a change resembling the proposed Rettifilio-Biassono re-profile and following with the current shape of the road up until the second Lesmo, which has been loosened into a kink with a long, curved exit. Roughly 450 metres down the road, a medium-sized chicane creates a new overtaking point. Business as usual through Ascari leads to a sharpened Parabolica, theoretically extending overtaking opportunities.

I'll come back with the final version if I can be bothered with creating it.
This is horrendous.

I'd re-profile the first chicane so the cars used the motorcycle one.

You've absolutely murdered a classic, high speed track. Equally as bad as what Tilke did to Hockenheim. Some tracks shouldn't be touched.

Hockenheim was improved, not murdered

Was the pre-2002 layout boring? In many respects, yes. But it was different. It gave cars with strong engines and low drag/inadequate downforce a fighting chance against the cars that cleaned their clocks at the Catalunyas, Magny-Cours and Imolas of the world. Now basically every circuit on the F1 calendar save Monaco and Monza demands more-or-less the same speed/agility balance, meaning cars that fall way over toward the top speed end of the spectrum *cough*Williams*cough* really only have one chance to shine per season.

I'd re-profile the first chicane so the cars used the motorcycle one.

You've absolutely murdered a classic, high speed track. Equally as bad as what Tilke did to Hockenheim. Some tracks shouldn't be touched.
So I've tried doing a bit of re-jigging, but I think that this will only make everyone furious...
Slaughtered Monza.jpg

I think I might be losing my touch slightly...

You keep ruining it. What's the point of the chicane between lesmo and Ascari? You think you're making another overtaking point, but instead you're eliminating the one at Ascari because there's now not enough room to accelerate and get alongside someone.

You keep ruining it. What's the point of the chicane between lesmo and Ascari? You think you're making another overtaking point, but instead you're eliminating the one at Ascari because there's now not enough room to accelerate and get alongside someone.
But I've made it smaller to further reduce its use. I've also loosened the first turn at Ascari to totally destroy any prospect of overtaking there in F1 and then taken the track off into a field in order to create more useless tarmac.

Let it be known, I'm just doing a parody here of the first effort.

So, a day has passed and I've decided to stop being an utter something-or-another to Monza and have a little crack at a rallycross track - the one at Catalunya.
Barstool's Catalunya RX.jpg

This is an adaptation of the track to fit in with the Grand Prix revision that I did on the previous page. It adds kinks and chicanes everywhere in order to make the supercars a right game to drive.

The first change moves the start/finish straight along by a couple of meters and starts with a sharp right into the existing turn, making the brakes nice and hot as the run down the dirt leads to a sharpened hairpin into the new road and the totally different joker, which instead of going along the horrible chicane, takes a shallow angle off the end of the hairpin and does a Lydden Hill type of thing and demands a bit of slide and throttle feathering in order to make the chicane into the track. The left-hander down the road is now tighter and leads into a tight right-left chicane that opens into the left-hand turn and goes down the dirt as it already is, into the hairpin on the tarmac and is followed by a relatively large left-right chicane onto the start/finish straight.

Could be fun, that.

I really want to make a longer Monza but i don't have the means to on my computer. I think I have to physically print it out and draw on the satellite image

oo5VxHf.jpg

Messed with the Solvalla STCC circuit. The current track is SUPER awkward and really uninspiring, so I decided to try and improve it. It uses a lot more of the trotting oval for higher speeds, and a few passing areas in the "infield" portion.

Current layout(.777mi/1.250km):
Solvalla14.a9f666dde3426ea1ecb5f557fefa2964.png

It's literally the easiest thing to use. "Start Route," Then under the "Draw Route" thing you select "manually(straight lines)" and then go to town. Each double click adds a point.

I was double clicking and nothing was happening, or it was making it's own random route by catching a delayed click idk... I'll try again

Yea no this isn't gonna work. I'm trying to connect points on the actual track and random roads around and it's making it's own route to the place I double clicked instead of just straight following the track.

Wow thanks, http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7060351

The top bit after turn one is supposed to be a high speed chicane but I messed up and I don't wanna go all the way back lol. Imagine the second chicane that exists now but inverted, so instead of the quick kink left and then you steer right as you drive away, it will extend a bit further straight before cutting hard left AND hard right. Like it follows the perimeter of the sand trap. I wanted to use more of the surrounding roads and it creates a nice high speed area with a few bends and a chicane to split it up before coming back to the historic oval straight (might need repairs) and then a hairpin returning you to the back straight for the Ascari curves and Parabolica.

Edit: I updated it but the link should be the same.

This was easier to see the road lines. I imagine I drew on some residential streets that would have to be either taken over or make the circuit half street course/half road course

Back