Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
So I've decided to take one final pass on Monza before finally giving up and leaving it be. I've tried making everything a bit faster as a means of improving the existing overtaking points.

Bit fast Monza.jpg

The main changes in this one include slightly loosening the kink at Grande and shrinking the chicane into a more Suzuka type of deal. I've then rounded off the right-hander of the following chicane in order to keep a similar sense of flow in the lead up to the Lesmo, which I've attempted to keep at the same radius as it currently is whilst swerving off into the slightly extended straight leading to Ascari, which is the same, but loosens onto the newly-lengthened back straight and leaving F1 cars pretty much at top speed on the entry into Parabolica, which is now longer and is now better taken as a double-apex corner than an early-apex thing that it currently is.

What do you think? Is it still a bit 🤬?

AXNOXFK.png

So I'm not one for making lines from nothing since I don't know the elevation changes but following the roads there are some nice sections. I wanted to keep the section that everyone knows and loves and just add to the boring part. That last left/right before the last turn, should it be tight like that or a loose ess to keep the speed up?

Let's eliminate the tight hairpin and make that tight left right into some sweepers. Hang on lemme go back to the site. lol Much simpler? Too simple? I really liked the double apex left at the chicane that extends the track. It could be that into a sharp right which leads back to the straight that the "2" pin is on. I like the little kink before the big curve. I wanted something similar to Watkins Glen's classic loop, not the new one that goes to the boot. Lastly, that's the esses I was talking about stretching to make faster instead of two almost 90-degree turns. I'm not one to make up completely new lines but using what's already there can make some cool changes. Just have to add the proper safety features and fence in the circuit from the Klever Kids right behind it. I'm assuming that's a kids clothing store next to Britain's oldest purpose built racing circuit? That's just silly.

LeVd6nP.png

Last edited:
A race track I designed south of Sydney, Australia
Light blue track is the main track,
Dark Blue extensions would allow for a short course for F1 races,
Orange and yellow extensions allow for variations of the main track.

Attachments

• Colo Vale Track.jpg
    Colo Vale Track.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 47
Well, if you're a GT fan, you're likely aware that GT's fictional city courses are based on real routes.
So I've decided to make one for giggles using the streets of my home city.
tomskcircuit1.png
Rather rough, but should give you an idea of what it is.
(the yellow road is a pit stop)
It's a high speed circuit, about 5km long. Looks rather primitive, but I've still managed to fit a decent set of turns in it (it turned out surprisingly less angular than I've expected). Not to mention that this route is probably the most decent-looking one.
Here's the location near the supposed start line in case if you'd like to explore it. (please note that the route goes into the oncoming lane's direction at certain places)
The roads' condition would surely prevent it from becoming an actual race circuit, but I think it could be fun to race at in a more smooth digital form.

What do you think?

(special thanks to TB for merging it with this thread)

Last edited:
The thought of a Birmingham ePrix makes me curious.
2018-01-15.png

It's a pretty safe bet that the SuperPrix circuit would be a pretty lackluster race track today, along with being somewhat unsuitable for ePrix racing. I therefore threw together some street race-style corners on a relatively open route around Birmingham. I'd suppose that a few interesting features of a possible circuit here could include a figure-of-eight layout, A reasonably balanced mix of speeds and a challenging terrain.

In toward the Bullring (together with Birmingham New Street, the northernmost building in the picture), the roads are somewhat straight, junctions square and somewhat open to a creative bit of configuration. Toward the ring road at the south, a few arterial junctions and roundabouts open up for the creation of some fairly tricky corners.

The pits - now there's a bit of a tough one. Bristol Street is still as it was in the SuperPrix days - the only difference being that Monaco House is now gone.

Any ideas on what could be done if Formula E does end up swerving Donington, Brands and the Norisring?

There's a good reason for that.

I forgot how long ePrix circuits generally are and didn't bother with doing research before drawing the path.
Really, you want to be under 2.5km for a regular ePrix circuit.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7186938
This is more like what they would go for. It follows a lot of the old Superprix circuit without the faff of going onto the main road down to the hairpin, allowing traffic to still flow, and follows the Formula E philosophy of straight into tight corner, with the roundabout and chicane thrown in to give it at least a chance of some fun corners.

Shortening things down does change the profile a fair bit.

2018-01-15 (1).png

I'd think that following the SuperPrix route is basically unavoidable in the interests of logistics, but the back-roads do offer a few good options.

I would say that Birmingham suits a longer layout as this seems to allow for the inclusion of a good number of turns. This would balance it similarly to Mexico for periods of time spent accelerating and Buenos Aires for overall technical challenge.

Though I do get the impression that I'll never reach Hermann Tilke's level for the ability to design facilities that host motorsports events.

Edinburgh street circuit. Now even those widest-looking streets turn out to be too narrow for any reasonably fast cars to properly race on, even with the chicanes I added for safety (and perhaps overtaking opportunities) but it was a fun idea to toy around with.

Another for good measure. In the case of this one, I hope the locals don't mind the track cutting through some green areas.

Last edited:
With all the talk of adding more GPs in North America, it got me thinking....what about Willow Springs? It’s 2 hours from LA, weather is warm (if not too hot, maybe a night race?), there’s space to grow. I also really like the layout, with its very fast sweepers, there aren’t many circuits like it left, if any.

So this is my attempt at modernizing Big Willow, but trying to leave as much unchanged as possible.

-Turquoise is run off and tech pro barriers
-Green is area for potential camping / RV village (lots more room for this outside the circuit too)
-Red spots for covered grand stands, trying to get sightlines of as much as possible
-Purple is the main grand stand and pit building
-Pink is the pit lane

The one thing I can’t figure out a good solution to is pit entry, I’m a bit stuck on how to make a safe one.

Sorry if the colours and shapes throw things off, this was my first attempt drawing on a tablet :lol:

Back