Canadian GT Sport Contest Announced: Win Long Beach GP Tickets and Porsche Gear

Yeah, I set a 2:39, on my 2nd try, from a 2:43 on my first one, and both laps were garbage. I’m still 4th for the day though, but the 1st place guy is 2:32.7, which is probably only possible by cutting a lot of corners, it really doesn’t seem like they’re enforcing much of anything. I could probably do a 2:36 if I knew the game and the track. Luckily I started 1st in both of my races, you’re going to be racing against mostly children and early teens. I think I won by about 30 seconds in a 1 lap race.

Yeah, I set a 2:39, on my 2nd try, from a 2:43 on my first one, and both laps were garbage. I’m still 4th for the day though, but the 1st place guy is 2:32.7, which is probably only possible by cutting a lot of corners, it really doesn’t seem like they’re enforcing much of anything. I could probably do a 2:36 if I knew the game and the track. Luckily I started 1st in both of my races, you’re going to be racing against mostly children and early teens. I think I won by about 30 seconds in a 1 lap race.

I've been watching the livestream and fastest today is 2:27.2

And as @SlipZtrEm said its not about winning the race.... just hang back and wait for everyone to get ahead... then start with some distance before the starting line so you can get a good amount of speed in when you start your lap.

Ah, Yas Marina — a track infamous for the ability to cut corners. I'm sure that'll end well.

So when I ended up going I had a quick chat with one of the staff before my attempt about cutting the track... and he didn't hesitate to admit the guy with the fastest time that day had very much cut the track multiple times. He then said "its discouraged... but his lap has a big asterisk beside it"... so I asked what that meant... he said "well we're reviewing it". :odd:

So which is it... are you allowed to cut or not? You'd think with $10k on the line these guys would have a proper rule book in place 👎

So when I ended up going I had a quick chat with one of the staff before my attempt about cutting the track... and he didn't hesitate to admit the guy with the fastest time that day had very much cut the track multiple times. He then said "its discouraged... but his lap has a big asterisk beside it"... so I asked what that meant... he said "well we're reviewing it". :odd:

So which is it... are you allowed to cut or not? You'd think with $10k on the line these guys would have a proper rule book in place 👎

It's the same in this contest. I'm about a second off the pace at the Nurburgring because proper track limits won't be policed and I'm not a track cutting master. I'm probably going to come last because of it.

It's the same in this contest. I'm about a second off the pace at the Nurburgring because proper track limits won't be policed and I'm not a track cutting master. I'm probably going to come last because of it.

Are there really that many opportunities to cut in Nurburgring that won't trigger a penalty? In GT Sport there's penalties that are applied to your finishing rank when you make an obvious track cut... whereas in Forza penalties are not added to your lap time if you make any cut whatsoever. So it seems it's a lot better in this competition.

This argument has been had multiple times.
GT:Sport has track limits in effect, push them to the limit or don't - but you can't expect everybody to drive like you just because you don't want to push the limits of the track.

Two wheels on curb at all times, this is the limit I️ drive to on all the tracks. Not cutting at all

Are there really that many opportunities to cut in Nurburgring that won't trigger a penalty? In GT Sport there's penalties that are applied to your finishing rank when you make an obvious track cut... whereas in Forza penalties are not added to your lap time if you make any cut whatsoever. So it seems it's a lot better in this competition.

You can basically put your whole car over the kerbs in the arena section. Schumacher S you can put half the car over before you hit sand and the following corner allows nearly full car again. Then the chicane apexes pretty much no amount of car has to remain on tarmac.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that lots of people say 2 wheels on. Okay, but there a lot of space between each side of your car. Almost all of those people have the oustide 2 wheels on tarmac and that's it. You aren't on the track anymore. 80% of your car is in the grass/filler blocks/whatever is on the inside of the corner. Just because an area is paved does not mean it is track.

Last edited:
Who here is going to the finals to watch?
Other than me...

I'll be there!

Was it "Beans"? He seemed to be around multiple days.

I'm not surprised there's no rule book; it all feels thrown together. There's no discerning between clean and dirty laps, even though Forza does have a system in place for that. The problem is that, in the rush to have people racing on track against one another, you're likely to end up with a dirty lap anyway, since either some kid will hit you, or you'll accidentally draft (or be drafted). With a one-lap race, there's very little opportunity to do much of anything.

It's all so weird. They're all very adamant about making sure people are all on the same settings prior to the run (to avoid the friction assist being turned on), but to allow corner cutting more or less defeats the purpose IMO. From my understanding, the people that normally run Xbox Canada PR/activations like this — I saw some of them later that day actually, at a PUBG-focused event — aren't the main showrunners. A time trial would've made sense considering they want to have a finale on the last day.

Also, I got clarification on the prizes — it's $1000 for the winner on Sunday, and then other smaller amounts for the grid. The original $10k figure is for overall throughout the week, which I believe includes copies of the game and other such prizes.

Anywho, sorry to drag this thread so far off-topic. Hopefully more Canuck contests pop up, then we can just have a general Canadian Sim Racing Esports thread. :lol:

You can basically put your whole car over the kerbs in the arena section. Schumacher S you can put half the car over before you hit sand and the following corner allows nearly full car again. Then the chicane apexes pretty much no amount of car has to remain on tarmac.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that lots of people say 2 wheels on. Okay, but there a lot of space between each side of your car. Almost all of those people have the oustide 2 wheels on tarmac and that's it. You aren't on the track anymore. 80% of your car is in the grass/filler blocks/whatever is on the inside of the corner. Just because an area is paved does not mean it is track.

The thing is, that if they deamed that all four tires had to be on “black” pavement everyone would do that. If you want to keep your moral compass staying north because that’s how you drive, then so be it. But when there’s money like this on the line don’t expect people not to use every inch they are allowed.

Also other then the final chicna ecutting only really gives you about .2, final chicane is wort prob .4/5 if you get it right

The thing is, that if they deamed that all four tires had to be on “black” pavement everyone would do that. If you want to keep your moral compass staying north because that’s how you drive, then so be it. But when there’s money like this on the line don’t expect people not to use every inch they are allowed.

Also other then the final chicna ecutting only really gives you about .2, final chicane is wort prob .4/5 if you get it right

Kyoto has blue tarmac between the line and the curb.

@SlipZtrEm
@Nando deBem
@vvise

Not sure if you guys are coming to watch the finals, but we're planning a karting trip afterwards (for Sunday evening).
https://www.k1speed.com/adult-parties.html

The website says we need 8, but the form I got from the guy at K1 actually asks for 10 minimum, we've currently got 7 of us, for the Grand-Prix series which works out to $70 each.

Let me know if you guys are interested, or if anyone else wants to come.

Thanks, but I live in Vancouver. I’ll watch the stream. Good luck to you all!

@SlipZtrEm
@Nando deBem
@vvise

Not sure if you guys are coming to watch the finals, but we're planning a karting trip afterwards (for Sunday evening).
https://www.k1speed.com/adult-parties.html

The website says we need 8, but the form I got from the guy at K1 actually asks for 10 minimum, we've currently got 7 of us, for the Grand-Prix series which works out to $70 each.

Let me know if you guys are interested, or if anyone else wants to come.

Ah, I've got plans in the evening so probably can't swing it. Sorry!

Does anybody fancy going to the event that isn't already? Asking for a friend. :D

@SlipZtrEm is there a planned article/blog post for tomorrow's event? I ask because I have some tech-unsavvy people asking how they can watch the event. I expect them to not know what Twitch is, so I was hoping I could direct them to the front page where there would be an article with an easy one click link.

@SlipZtrEm is there a planned article/blog post for tomorrow's event? I ask because I have some tech-unsavvy people asking how they can watch the event. I expect them to not know what Twitch is, so I was hoping I could direct them to the front page where there would be an article with an easy one click link.

Would they prefer watching in person?

I'll be finding out shortly what the plan is for the live stream. 👍

Back