Can't go back to GT6 after playing AC

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 316 comments
MY PC is too slow too. AMD Athlon x2, 2GB Ram and a Radeon 5670HD 512MB unfortunately is too less. I can only hotlap. With 10 AI oponents I get 5 frames per second :D

I readed that multiplayer does not suck that much power because AI is sucking CPU power. Will try that out.

I started with PC sim racing. I did everything there was to do, including iRacing, before I ever touched GT5 online.

For some people it's more about the community than the driving, or multiplayer depth. Myself, I could never really get into the iRacing community for whatever reason, I never really set out to try and be the best, or super fast, I just wanted a good group of people to hang out and race with and I found that more easily on GT5 than I ever could on iRacing. It's whatever drives you to do online racing that'll really lead you onto different titles. No one title can cover all the bases, so you stick with what you like for whatever reason you like it for.

I'm more into AC because of how great the driving felt in FVA and nK, but I won't stick around for it. I get bored after a while of hot lapping, I need competition. I grew into that while playing GT5.

But I stuck to GT5 because I ended up becoming friends with a bunch of quick dudes that I liked learning from, it was a great experience - that and GTA. When I grew into this competitive mindset, I was too hungry to stay on GT5, so I tried iRacing again, but I was put off by the community again, and investment of time. So I decided to stick to GT5 until I found something worthwhile on PC again, that I knew would have a big multiplayer community, and that's AC. No guaranteeing how "good" the community will be for me, but I have a lot of my friends from GT5 going over, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Man...I love you guys.

Awesome thread. I'm there too - although still in my tweaking phase, I've had AC for a couple of days and already it is at least as good as GT6 even with some issues I'm working through with the graphics and lag. Tonight I plan to play with the camera angle a bit more (I've been driving the Lotus T125 at Monza - don't really like cockpit view but nose view is too high and narrow). It's also pretty cool that on PC you can have the combo of wheel and pedals you want (G27 with CSR Elites for me).

The main thing I miss from GT5/GT6 is the Nordschleife... but GT6 just made me angry too often.

I do occasionally miss GT4 though believe it or not - using a DFP wheel since it was small and solid and I have a modded G25 pedal board that works with the DFP/DFGT. The Formula GT and GT40 both sounded cooler too. I still have my PS2 hooked up (for Vice City) so maybe I'll give GT4 a spin sometime...

Awesome thread. I'm there too - although still in my tweaking phase, I've had AC for a couple of days and already it is at least as good as GT6 even with some issues I'm working through with the graphics and lag. Tonight I plan to play with the camera angle a bit more (I've been driving the Lotus T125 at Monza - don't really like cockpit view but nose view is too high and narrow). It's also pretty cool that on PC you can have the combo of wheel and pedals you want (G27 with CSR Elites for me).

The main thing I miss from GT5/GT6 is the Nordschleife... but GT6 just made me angry too often.

I do occasionally miss GT4 though believe it or not - using a DFP wheel since it was small and solid and I have a modded G25 pedal board that works with the DFP/DFGT. The Formula GT and GT40 both sounded cooler too. I still have my PS2 hooked up (for Vice City) so maybe I'll give GT4 a spin sometime...

There is a very good non-official Nordschleife for AC modeled by Snoopy (latest version 0.9.3), and quite a few other track mods.

In no other game I can play in cockpit view. Only in AC it feels great for me. In GT I can only play bumper view.

The Nordschleife (laser scanned) will come in September if you dont know it already :)

In no other game I can play in cockpit view. Only in AC it feels great for me. In GT I can only play bumper view.

The Nordschleife (laser scanned) will come in September if you dont know it already :)
I'm exactly the same! I thought I was crap from not being able to play in cockpit view in GT6, in AC I've played with the field of view and seating position and now I really enjoy it. Just need to improve my driving now :)

There is a very good non-official Nordschleife for AC modeled by Snoopy (latest version 0.9.3), and quite a few other track mods.

Yep I hope to install that in the meantime until the official laser-scanned one comes out :) What do you think of its accuracy (the unofficial Nordschleife)? I understood that it was adapted from one from rFactor that I think I've driven before and had caused a bit of frustration from certain sections being less than accurate (too short, weird decreasing radius exits, etc). Or is that due to being used to the GT version which perhaps contains inaccuracies (or is it a different rFactor one that's more accurate)? I've only been there once in person so it's hard to compare but I've seen a lot of videos that seem to agree with the GT version and not so much the rFactor one I drove... I have high hopes for the AC version.

The problem I've always had with cockpit view is the depth perception is so compressed... as well as the sensation of speed. I've raced F2000 cars so I just want something close to what that perspective looks like :) Not difficult at all to feel your line and sight your apex and braking points. I didn't get the camera position adjusted yet in AC but I know from everyone else's comments it's possible to get it just right :)

Last edited:
Yep I hope to install that in the meantime until the official laser-scanned one comes out :) What do you think of its accuracy (the unofficial Nordschleife)? I understood that it was adapted from one from rFactor that I think I've driven before and had caused a bit of frustration from certain sections being less than accurate (too short, weird decreasing radius exits, etc). Or is that due to being used to the GT version which perhaps contains inaccuracies (or is it a different rFactor one that's more accurate)? I've only been there once in person so it's hard to compare but I've seen a lot of videos that seem to agree with the GT version and not so much the rFactor one I drove... I have high hopes for the AC version.

The problem I've always had with cockpit view is the depth perception is so compressed... as well as the sensation of speed. I've raced F2000 cars so I just want something close to what that perspective looks like :) Not difficult at all to feel your line and sight your apex and braking points. I didn't get the camera position adjusted yet in AC but I know from everyone else's comments it's possible to get it just right :)
I'm not a good one to ask for how accurate Snoopy's AC version is as I am not a stickler for the small details. It's not as accurate if comparing to the new FM5 laser scanned version or the pCARS version but in general I know where I am on the track. It's more challenging as there are some elevation changes that don't match the other versions. It's fun, that's all that matters to me and it's only a matter of time before the official AC version is released.

Biggest difference I noticed with snoopy's is the big drops somewhere in the middle of the track, they are noticeably less inclined in GT6 and you can go faster over them without having your wheels in the air.

But it is definitely a good substitute until we have Kunos' own laserscanned Nords. It's definitely difficult to drive both GT and AC as the physics definitely feel vastly different and I always have to take a lap or too to orient myself with AC, funnily don't have same problem going back to GT6..

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Ok had to get that out of the way... :) So, big steps forward now - I did some suggested tweaks to the ini files (fixing a lag issue, enabling the developer tools) and I'm also enjoying cockpit view with the virtual steering wheel *hidden* (virtual driver's arms hidden of course also), so no more fists blocking my view of the apex; and the dev Onboard settings window is awesome, adjusted FOV/seat position/pitch so all I see is the windscreen and nose and front wheels, and the horizon is the right height for my TV in my rig. Hard to get used to how corners look in 2D cockpit view but at least I can hit apexes and keep the car on track most of the time ;) Once in a while I even nail the throttle on the exit just right. I think I could fine tune a bit more but it's drivable now. And I love the way the inside front wheel is easy to see when it locks up (disabled ABS/TC/etc). Can't wait to see what all this feels like on the cars with fenders.

Snoopy's Nordschleife for AC is FAR better than driving it in rFactor - some places it even seems to have corrections to distance but mainly it's the way the car traces the line through the corner... e.g. in rFactor the whole Hatzenbach just never felt like it flowed correctly to me, but in AC it feels like it's supposed to. Still a learning curve for me though, and the remaining input lag is just enough to make the Nordschleife pretty difficult in places... but hey, progressing big time.

No way I'll ever go back to GT6 now... even though I see they finally fixed camber ;)

The mass exudos from console to PC has begun, Sony will you make the same mistake as microsoft and make us pay for a new wheel for PS4 or is that a REALLY bad idea?

PD already has alot of work if they are to convince any of us going back to GT7. But buying a new console + wheel is gonna be harsh only for us to be let down by sound yet again.

I wish Kaz the best and hope they can turn things around but AC is simply the best driving experience available.

It's likely not so much that you can't feel it, but that you're so used to the GT way of feeling the car that you're not picking up on what AC is telling you.

The information is there when you're losing grip, but it doesn't feel the same as losing grip in GT. You will find however that most games are different like this. If you can learn a new game, you'll find it even easier with the next one, and eventually you'll have no problems switching between games at all.

You can just stick with GT if you want. It's a fine game. But there's a whole world of good sims out there, not just AC, and this is a problem that you're going to continue to encounter if you try to play them.

Exactly; I do not mind at all switching between FM4, Dirt 3, GRID II or Horizon. Though I must admit being the realism whore I am, FM4 gets the most play time.

MY PC is too slow too. AMD Athlon x2, 2GB Ram and a Radeon 5670HD 512MB unfortunately is too less. I can only hotlap. With 10 AI oponents I get 5 frames per second :D

I readed that multiplayer does not suck that much power because AI is sucking CPU power. Will try that out.

Maybe I'm taking shots in the dark here as I haven't gamed on a PC in years, but for a good gaming experience you need at least (if you're ever planning to upgrade):

* 2 GB vid RAM
* 8-10 GB conventional RAM
* A processor that clocks at 4 Ghz or higher
* And of course all the latest drivers

I don't know what else is involved as far as performance is concerned, but I suppose that's pretty much it. You can enjoy games with a lot less too, but for absolutely the best experience - as in, highest resolution and detail level/filtering/AA maxed out, audio quality and detail maxed out, you're going to need all those bells and whistles.

GT4 really was the best back when it graced the PS2. Nothing like it. Good times. Oh those memorable endurance races with my fav music blaring in the background.

Maybe I'm taking shots in the dark here as I haven't gamed on a PC in years, but for a good gaming experience you need at least (if you're ever planning to upgrade):

* 2 GB vid RAM
* 8-10 GB conventional RAM
* A processor that clocks at 4 Ghz or higher
* And of course all the latest drivers
A good estimate. More than 8 GB RAM is not needed at this point IMO. But I fear that 2 GB VRAM may be too little going forward. Google "watch dogs pc performance" or something like that. We might see increased VRAM requirements because of PS4/Xbone. Also, one might probably get away with 3.5 GHz CPU in many games, but then I'm nitpicking. :)

Oh? I meant 4 GB VRAM. With PC games, if its one thing I've learned (and something I certainly don't look back on) is that it's ALWAYS good to have excess of everything, in terms of RAM and CPU specs - if you want zero stuttering or performance hiccups in your 60+ fps games.

I am running an I5 - 4670K with 8gig RAM and a R290X 3GIG RAM. Smooth as butter at 1440p resolution. Its a little bit overkill but that's the way I like it

I bought it yesterday so I only ran 20 laps or so in the BMW E30 M3 evo. Once I get more familiar with the cars, I'll record some laps.

^Yup. Even there's a lot if debate that the only sim really stands out physics wise is Iracing and AC. Also AC tire model is unmatch right now IMO. They still need to remove a lot of bugs though. And the multiplayer lag, but that can be fix when more servers pop up.

Currently the only thing I dislike about Assetto Corsa are my driving skills.

You should start slow and spend a lot of time with 1M or E30 then work your way up to GT3 cars if you're into GT racing, and KTM, Lotus cars if you're into open wheeler.

You should start slow and spend a lot of time with 1M or E30 then work your way up to GT3 cars if you're into GT racing, and KTM, Lotus cars if you're into open wheeler.

Yep. its the only way. If you try to go too fast too soon, you will fail. I start my first lap very slowly. I take notice at what gear I can take each turn in a conservative approach. You may want to put the racing line on just to give you some help for your breaking point.

I was lapping on Mugello last night. I started with time of 2:22 -2:24. I ended up around 2.15. Which would be in the top 1000 of RSRlive. Unfortunately, I didn't have the app running.

Last edited:
Yea, better imo. Although some do need some polishing.

With most racing games and sims alike, it ends up being a mixed bag. Though the good to bad sounds ratio seems to be getting better progressively.

Mehh.. can't have it all!

Yep. its the only way. If you try to go too fast too soon, you will fail. I start my first lap very slowly. I take notice at what gear I can take each turn in a conservative approach. You may want to put the racing line on just to give you some help for your breaking point.

I was lapping on Mugello last night. I started with time of 2:22 -2:24. I ended up around 2.15. Which would be in the top 1000 of RSRlive. Unfortunately, I didn't have the app running.

I wonder if AC devs ever plan to release an open road game somewhere down the line... WITH AC physics!! *winky winky*

Back