Cape Ring South 464pp Mazda Roadster Touring

I finally got the supercharger to work for me. Low 1:23's is best so far. Not sure where to find more time. I can't get my head around the diff. Set up I use 6 12 5 but is there really anything substantial to gain there ? Still feels like I'm going backwards against top dawgs. Let alone that they can shake me off line or crash me out like nothing. Damn fast 1:19's. It's like I'm running a radio flyer with row boat paddles.

Zallbie, Im using ST3 and HRPM; my best so far 1:23's. Still working on transmission. Yesterday we raced together against the fastest driver of Cape Ring. Save the video, and you'll notice that he slides in curves and turns very well so I conclude that it is not about HP but has a great suspension. I will send you an email to exchange data. My goal is 1.22.00

We've had a few races mcbo. I'm Digtater on quick match.:cheers:

On the rare occasions I run a perfect lap, I can get down to 22.4 with a 237hp tune but the lap is picture perfect and no matter how many times I look at it, I can't see where more time can be made up. I'm already using about 105% of the grip to get round the corners without scrubbing speed off so finding a 1:19 would be impossible with my set up unless I added a hell of a lot more power to make the most of the flat out sections.

I'm not ruling it out as I'm sure the suspension could be adapted to carry more weight and balance the added power but 3 seconds worth of gain? I'd say that was a tall order.

Yes, you are a good driver Digtater !!! your comments/setup helped me a lot. The fastest driver of Cape Ring slides perfectly in turn 2, and the end of the second section he is 1.5 seconds faster and in the last turn he is .5 second better. I saved the race and he turns and breaks very well, probably because his suspension. I will try to create an online room for testing later today around 8pm (central time) but I'm not sure if Cape Ring South is listed.

We've had a few races mcbo. I'm Digtater on quick match.:cheers:

On the rare occasions I run a perfect lap, I can get down to 22.4 with a 237hp tune but the lap is picture perfect and no matter how many times I look at it, I can't see where more time can be made up. I'm already using about 105% of the grip to get round the corners without scrubbing speed off so finding a 1:19 would be impossible with my set up unless I added a hell of a lot more power to make the most of the flat out sections.

I'm not ruling it out as I'm sure the suspension could be adapted to carry more weight and balance the added power but 3 seconds worth of gain? I'd say that was a tall order.
Thx for explaining what a reality lap time is. I believe you cause I've seen you run .So if I get into 1:22's that's close to unobtainium. I don't know anything about the SRF. I hope I'm not running it cause if I am then I gonna need one of those plug electric superchargers...lol.

I tested out SRF offline and could see a 1:19 lap but with offline having a bit more grip and a higher temperature difference on top of the SRF, hardly conclusive. I was running into the 20s after 3 laps and could have added more weight to take advantage of the extra grip but I'd seen more than enough of SRF at that point and quit. I'd say you could easily go up to 150kg and run quicker laps with SRF on though. Probably 245+hp.

The lighter cars lose way too much time over the fast sections with the drop in hp and there's only 3 slow corners on that track that really benefit from lower weight anyway.

I think I'll have to give it another go and see if I can get it to take more weight. Stiffen the suspension up or something. If I find anything beneficial, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Yes, you are a good driver Digtater !!! your comments/setup helped me a lot. The fastest driver of Cape Ring slides perfectly in turn 2, and the end of the second section he is 1.5 seconds faster and in the last turn he is .5 second better. I saved the race and he turns and breaks very well, probably because his suspension. I will try to create an online room for testing later today around 8pm (central time) but I'm not sure if Cape Ring South is listed.
If the driver you're referring to is that fast, he may well be one of those that has SRF on. When I tested it offline, I found the car to be 2 seconds a lap quicker with SRF on.

If the driver you're referring to is that fast, he may well be one of those that has SRF on. When I tested it offline, I found the car to be 2 seconds a lap quicker with SRF on.

This is the sad part for me. I also tested my car with SRF online. I can't explain how I get it, from 10 rooms I enter, only one I get SRF. My laps were around 1:22.7xx that means only 1 second faster with my setup. This driver I'm referring usually is in 1.20.7xx, so most probably SRF can explain why he slides so well in the curves but he is still faster, my guess he is 1.21.5XX without SRF.

I tested out SRF offline and could see a 1:19 lap but with offline having a bit more grip and a higher temperature difference on top of the SRF, hardly conclusive. I was running into the 20s after 3 laps and could have added more weight to take advantage of the extra grip but I'd seen more than enough of SRF at that point and quit. I'd say you could easily go up to 150kg and run quicker laps with SRF on though. Probably 245+hp.

The lighter cars lose way too much time over the fast sections with the drop in hp and there's only 3 slow corners on that track that really benefit from lower weight anyway.

I think I'll have to give it another go and see if I can get it to take more weight. Stiffen the suspension up or something. If I find anything beneficial, I'll be sure to pass it on.

In theory, stiffen the suspension up is for tracks without bumps but I will give a try. The weight is a good point, currently I'm using 105 kg, I will increase the weight to see what happens.

My goal is 1:22.0xxx; last night I raced with a Japanese guy, he is .7 sec faster than me; in the first race he won by 3 sec but in the second race he made a mistake in the "S" in the first lap and I was in front the rest of the race, that means with .7 sec is not enough to overtake if you are a clean driver (those that avoid to hit the car when overtaking).

This is the sad part for me. I also tested my car with SRF online. I can't explain how I get it, from 10 rooms I enter, only one I get SRF. My laps were around 1:22.7xx that means only 1 second faster with my setup. This driver I'm referring usually is in 1.20.7xx, so most probably SRF can explain why he slides so well in the curves but he is still faster, my guess he is 1.21.5XX without SRF.

In theory, stiffen the suspension up is for tracks without bumps but I will give a try. The weight is a good point, currently I'm using 105 kg, I will increase the weight to see what happens.

My goal is 1:22.0xxx; last night I raced with a Japanese guy, he is .7 sec faster than me; in the first race he won by 3 sec but in the second race he made a mistake in the "S" in the first lap and I was in front the rest of the race, that means with .7 sec is not enough to overtake if you are a clean driver (those that avoid to hit the car when overtaking).
It's another oddity of this QM that the car in first place can often drive faster than the rest.

Cape Ring is actually very smooth and has some very helpful camber on the corners to swing you round them. I know I'll struggle with more weight (I've tried already) but I haven't tried catering for it with stiffer suspension. Worth a go but even with another 10% more power (@260hp), I can't see me finding 2 seconds, never mind 3.

It's another oddity of this QM that the car in first place can often drive faster than the rest.

Is it really an oddity to be in first place and be faster than everyone else?:odd::D

Two main things, not including the expected practice, patience and tuning....

Learning the track so that you aren't waiting to accelerate based on what you see ahead. You should be entering the turns and using the throttle based on what's ahead way before you can see it with your eyes.

And, don't over drive the car. You can get away with it on racing slicks a little, but not on any tire that isn't really hooked up. Once you over cook a corner, you've lost an easy .5 seconds. Do it 5 or 6 times a lap and your 2.5-3.0 seconds slower.

Many want to over drive the car because it feels faster.

It isn't. 8)

Thank you wedjim for keeping it simple "the car is only as good a the driver" BTW... I finally got one best time in the high 25's, only once, so I'm sure it was a freak. Tuning is still driving me nuts... I've got three sets... two are great thru the corners and the other is great on top end. I'm tweaking the tranny settings to try and find a happy medium. Again, thanks for the sage advice.

Cape Ring is actually very smooth and has some very helpful camber on the corners to swing you round them. I know I'll struggle with more weight (I've tried already) but I haven't tried catering for it with stiffer suspension. Worth a go but even with another 10% more power (@260hp), I can't see me finding 2 seconds, never mind 3.

Is it really an oddity to be in first place and be faster than everyone else?:odd::D
What is odd is that the first car, provided it is a well tuned/driven one, is able to drive faster than the cars behind. Get into a well-matched room and you will see what I mean.

I wish there was a "One Make" match, where every car had the exact same settings. Then, it would be strictly a contest of driving skill. I admire the tech skills of all you savvy tuners out there, and would certainly support a "Super" class of matches to acknowledge your superior status. For the less advanced driver/techies, like me, it would be nice, and less frustrating, to limit the contest to your ability behind the wheel. It would sure keep me from using the cop-out that I lost because the other guy had better tuning. Happy racing guys, and remember, buckle-up and no texting while driving.

I wish there was a "One Make" match, where every car had the exact same settings. Then, it would be strictly a contest of driving skill. I admire the tech skills of all you savvy tuners out there, and would certainly support a "Super" class of matches to acknowledge your superior status. For the less advanced driver/techies, like me, it would be nice, and less frustrating, to limit the contest to your ability behind the wheel. It would sure keep me from using the cop-out that I lost because the other guy had better tuning. Happy racing guys, and remember, buckle-up and no texting while driving.

The problem with this idea is which tune do you use. They may pick a tune that matches my driving style better than yours. Consequently, I get better times. If it matches your driving style then I don't do as well. Hence, it doesn't necessarily show one's driving skill. That said, I have to admit that I am not a tuner and tend to use other posted tunes (thanks @wedjim).

The problem with this idea is which tune do you use. They may pick a tune that matches my driving style better than yours. Consequently, I get better times. If it matches your driving style then I don't do as well. Hence, it doesn't necessarily show one's driving skill. That said, I have to admit that I am not a tuner and tend to use other posted tunes (thanks @wedjim).

Good point! One way to minimize this effect would be to have a championship series where a number of different types and styles of cars are used. So the advantages and disadvantages equal themselves out of the course of the series.

Thanks wedjim... I'm not advanced enough to have a driving "style" yet. I just try to map out the cleanest line without forcing it. Like you, I've been trying 3 different set-ups I've found posted. Two of them work best for cornering but cars blow past me on the straights. The other is great top end, but is sluggish through corners. I try to corner "easy in"-"fast out". When I am able to define my style, I doubt I'll be able to determine which intricate settings (camber, dampers, toe, torque, not to mention gear ratios and etc.) to adjust the cars performance to fit. Oh well, I'll just keep working on my personal best, and if I can't break into the 40's and compete with the guys up front, so be it. Again, thank you for your input.

Good racing POP. Sorry I don't know how to friend or send messages. Is it in the settings?
Seems like good ole "fordlaser" got you covered....thank you for the kind words on my racing... as you can see I'm most definitely a "work-in-progress". Right now I provide a certain level of entertainment... I'm the car everybody gets a kick out of passing. 8- )

Seems like good ole "fordlaser" got you covered....thank you for the kind words on my racing... as you can see I'm most definitely a "work-in-progress". Right now I provide a certain level of entertainment... I'm the car everybody gets a kick out of passing. 8- )
You seem like you got the power right. Suspension setup may be where your lacking. I can guarantee you that my set up won't help you. I run super soft springs all the way down and dampers all the way up sways are 3 2. Need I say more my set up is a little weird. Lol if it makes you feel better I think I'm gonna change my name to superball or maybe nerfball cause I get bounced all over the place.Some players may be 2 seconds slower than me and can still check me into the weeds.Whatever it's all good. I always get mine too.

You seem like you got the power right. Suspension setup may be where your lacking. I can guarantee you that my set up won't help you. I run super soft springs all the way down and dampers all the way up sways are 3 2. Need I say more my set up is a little weird. Lol if it makes you feel better I think I'm gonna change my name to superball or maybe nerfball cause I get bounced all over the place.Some players may be 2 seconds slower than me and can still check me into the weeds.Whatever it's all good. I always get mine too.
"nerfball"... gets my vote! Ya can call me "Bank Shot" for all the times guys use my car to ricochet off! Between you an me, I can't see what fun there is in that. Hell, when I see a fast car coming up behind me I give him a clear path and wish him a good run. Happy driving buddy, pleasure to meet ya.

Back