Car drawings

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 3,547 comments
I went bat:censored: crazy with this drawing. Please don't mind the static.
MOMjFYP.jpg

I went bat:censored: crazy with this drawing. Please don't mind the static.
MOMjFYP.jpg

I guess was that meant to be Orochi Mitsuoka ?

View attachment 559640

It's been a year since I last drew anything, and that was the BAe Hawk "Red 8". So this time, a Mazda RX-7 (With some Tuning) doing a bit of a slide.

You're damn good for being away from drawings for a year... looking forward to see this one again when it's done with coloured pencils or shadings with graphites. :)

You're damn good for being away from drawings for a year... looking forward to see this one again when it's done with coloured pencils or shadings with graphites. :)

Thank You very much. I will be scanning the image in and printing off a version to colour at some point I think. But I only have my 50 colour pencils and my trusty HB pencil

Hello all! Been a while since I've been on GTP but I'm back again. Here's some of the stuff I've done while I was gone :D

EDIT: oh lord, I didnt think that embedding images would make them so big! Are there any better ways to share pictures from my gallery on mobile?

Last edited:
EDIT: oh lord, I didnt think that embedding images would make them so big! Is there any better ways to share pictures from my gallery on mobile?

Share the image URL if at all possible, though I'm unsure how to do it with Instagram images.

That's pretty swell, Jacojamon.

It's wild in form, but it's not over-the-top or overexaggerated at the same time. Very good job with keeping balance and subtly in mind. 👍👍

I'd +rep you for this if I could.

That's pretty swell, Jacojamon.

It's wild in form, but it's not over-the-top or overexaggerated at the same time. Very good job with keeping balance and subtly in mind. 👍👍

I'd +rep you for this if I could.
Thanks a lot for your kind words! I've come to realise how difficult it is to come up with a decent car design... The people who are good at it (many in this thread) make it look so easy. On the other hand it took me weeks to come up with that one sketch. :lol:

That decides what the front's going to look like:

Wide low front end.

Lots of triangular forms and grills.

Triple canards.

Big "J" upfront and center.

lol, well the front looks like this so far... But I'm not happy with it because it looks pretty hideous front-on. But I'm looking for something clean and modern. Good idea on the canards though! :)

20160923_133645_zpsle42smz8.jpg

Also, I'm starting to model it in 3Dsmax. I haven't got a clue how to use the program though... Just bent a bit of mesh around and blind luck got me here so far:

Model%20Screenshot%201_zpsk6g244j8.jpg

Model%20Screenshot%202_zps40jxo8v6.jpg

I finally tried some semi-renderings on my Intuos. The first drawing didn't begin as and still isn't an ideal resolution, but the second one of a better resolution. The top car is designed to be a compact almost prototype-like early 90's car whilst the bottom is meant to be more mid 80's (but the shape ended up going full 2005).

8AgUdqk.png

DiEu7TN.png

Here is a land speed record car design from Kerbal Space Program.

KSP_land_speed_record_i.png

It works surprisingly well up to about 970 km/h, but then the front suspension collapse due to the shifting center of mass which causes the top-mounted rocket to induce torque, pushing the front of the vehicle down.

Some rough looking drawings, I guess.

Here's a Ram SS/T, Runabout style.

IMG_3437.JPG

A custom '95 Sable, inspired by an early 2000's Midtown Madness 1 mod.

IMG_3448.JPG

Sort of the same situation here, with the SHO.

IMG_3449.JPG

Tried drawing a car i'd like to see IRL...an Australian Supercar inspired '70 Coronet 500 four-door.

IMG_3450.JPG

Trying my hand at drawing cars I'm not good at drawing...clearly evident with the Supra. The Viper I had drawn was pretty good though.

IMG_3753.JPG

Here's the Viper. Did redraw the wheels in this pic to resemble the typical three-spokes the Viper usually comes with.

IMG_3759.JPG

A sketch of a '78 or so Dodge Magnum XE doing old school car chase things down a dark alley.

IMG_3237.JPG

I'll probably post more in the upcoming weeks.

technique please. i am not very good

Okay let's use your RWB render as an example.

If you're using crayons, I suggest a light cross hatch. Avoid using circles, and avoid applying a lot of pressure. Have patience and keep going until you reach your desired depth.

You want to visualize where your light source is coming from. Once you've set a light source you can then visualize your shadows.

Colouring a car comes in various gradients. A car is not just one solid colour. So try to get as many gradients of a certain colour.

Back to the light source. On your RUF, based on your shading, it looks like the light is mainly above the centre of the car, offset a few degrees behind the driver's side fender.

If you're using colouring markers, use straight and curved lines to define the car's body lines. Go over the lines a few times until you reach ypur desired depth. Think of how light cascades.

Use your deep colours to define edges, body lines, and shadows. Use your lighter shades to blend between gradients.

In regards to blending, if you're colouring your passenger side fender, take your lighter color over your darker colour and fill it in upwards toward your hood.

You've got the basic idea of shading so just replace the graphite with colour.

All in all you just need practice.

With oily hardened materials, I prefer a cross hatch. I avoid the use of circles for major body panels or on cars that are mainly straight. I use circles for shading head light housings or any circular part on a car.

I'm sure there are more experiencedand capable artists in thisthread that can give more in depth details about this. Especially when it comes to using markers and acrylics.

Back