Cars on track on PS4/xb1

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 140 comments
Italy
Italy
karsten_beoulve
I can't find a topic concerning this pretty important information.

I think i saw up to 64 cars race on pcs i do not think the same is possible, but will grids be around 16 (gt6 like) or more? Any word about it was ever said from developers or anyone at Games show managed to make a full grid race and report about this?

Thanks.

Well, hoping for more than 32. On PC, there are at least 55 (Le Mans license), and possibly more, so those 55 would be cool to have on console as well. Better yet: 60 cars, Nurburgring, 3 hour race, 3 class race, 20 cars per class. :drool: PS4 should be able to do that.

Here's a screen shot of Project CARS on Xbox 1.

8581274_orig.png

That looks like plenty to me!

Source.

Well, hoping for more than 32. On PC, there are at least 55 (Le Mans license), and possibly more, so those 55 would be cool to have on console as well. Better yet: 60 cars, Nurburgring, 3 hour race, 3 class race, 20 cars per class. :drool: PS4 should be able to do that.
The PS4 lacks the punch and flexibility of a really good gaming PC but has the advantage of better optimization. With the PC you can change numerous display options to maintain your framerate whereas the PS4 will likely be a fixed 60FPS with a fixed set of graphical options that support that and a lower car count. But you never know....

The PS4 lacks the punch and flexibility of a really good gaming PC but has the advantage of better optimization. With the PC you can change numerous display options to maintain your framerate whereas the PS4 will likely be a fixed 60FPS with a fixed set of graphical options that support that and a lower car count. But you never know....

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Anyway, I count 17 rows on the starting grid in that XB1 screenshot, so 34 cars aren't bad either. Already more than any other PlayStation game I've played. :)

I am slightly worried about the lack of information regarding how consoles will perform, being a PS4 user. Not just regarding this matter either.

I get the impression there's not really much testing going on for the console versions and I'm worried that they think a quick port from the PC will be enough.

Can anyone think of another game that was so openly developed that was released multi platform? Were there issues? Was it a success?

I am slightly worried about the lack of information regarding how consoles will perform, being a PS4 user. Not just regarding this matter either.

I get the impression there's not really much testing going on for the console versions and I'm worried that they think a quick port from the PC will be enough.

Can anyone think of another game that was so openly developed that was released multi platform? Were there issues? Was it a success?
It's not being ported from the PC to consoles. It's a cross platform development project, so it's being developed in parallel on all platforms. Most of the code is shared between the platforms, only the bits that have to be different are written specifically for each.

The console versions are being tested by a professional testing outfit behind closed doors, like most console games - therefore you hear nothing about it.

^ Exactly this. And before anyone asks again: No, they cant do an open console beta cause that costs a lot of money and time to do and SMS is a small developer on a tight budget.

VBR
Here's a screen shot of Project CARS on Xbox 1.

8581274_orig.png

That looks like plenty to me!

Source.

Yep and if you count... That shot shows 16 rows of 2 cars = 32 cars overall. ;)

It's not being ported from the PC to consoles. It's a cross platform development project, so it's being developed in parallel on all platforms. Most of the code is shared between the platforms, only the bits that have to be different are written specifically for each.

The console versions are being tested by a professional testing outfit behind closed doors, like most console games - therefore you hear nothing about it.

That would explain some I guess, never really been involved with the PC development scene until Project Cars, i guess PC users in general are used to developers being more open and upfront with their process. I had expected a little more information considering this is a crowd funded project however, it isn't only PC users who have invested.

Would be a great shame if they released buggy console versions, professional QA is one thing but it doesn't stack up with thousands of players spending thousands of hours basically bug reporting in the PC beta.

20 seems like enough for me, as long as the ai is actually challenging unlike gran turismo. I hope to not finish first at all. I say 20 would be enough, but I've never played any sim with more, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

I am not sure if this is a slip up or not, but Andy Tudor says in this interview, 55 cars on track at Lemans:

Oh and @drivatar he also mentions that 1080p/60fps has been achieved on the PS4 - 0:22.

55 cars on track at Lemans

God, I can't wait to do a 55-cars race on a public lobby on console. Oh, the carnage that will ensue!

(In all seriosity, move over Forza Motorsport, there's a new sheriff in the town of console-based simracing leagues!)

I know it's their target but there's a difference between the 60fps of FM and GT ;).
As far as I know, 60fps is the same in any game, the difference between the two is the graphics engine behind it and as far as I can tell, PCars looks pretty outstanding.

Are you guys actually sure he was talking about console? Since (I think that) he didn't specify that it was on console, I'm guessing he was talking about the pc version, but I could be wrong.

I just don't want you guys to be disappointed IF there is't 55 cars on console.

I don't really care how many cars are on track online, 12 is a good number for me.
Can you imagine the carnage with 55 cars online, messy.

Any one got any info on the TTs for real life prizes? i liked the sound of that in the vid.

I agree with c172fccc, Andy might just have mixed up PC and console versions. We will have to wait and see.

@STEVE182rs: There already were some of those TT competitions during development - you set a time in a hot lap event over the course of a week and either the first place or some randomly picked guy out of those who set a time will win the prize. IIRC, one of the prizes was a T500RS.

Are you guys actually sure he was talking about console? Since (I think that) he didn't specify that it was on console, I'm guessing he was talking about the pc version, but I could be wrong.

I just don't want you guys to be disappointed IF there is't 55 cars on console.
That's why I posted the question originally about PC vs. console, but it is a Playstation interview and he mentions nothing about PC in the interview IIRC.

I think it would be a bit of a faux pas if Andy is talking about PC specs in a Playstation interview. Some recanting may need to be done.

Back