Cars on track on PS4/xb1

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 140 comments
I think it would be a bit of a faux pas if Andy is talking about PC specs in a Playstation interview. Some recanting may need to be done.
That's the kind of thing that if it's actually a mistake and it's left to hang, will cause a lot of rage among some gamers and rightfully so. Hopefully he corrects it somehow if it's a misspeak.

Not saying you're wrong but do you know this for a fact or are you guessing?

AndyG said that it will either be 16 or 24 on consoles online. Offline he was not exactly sure. I'd take 55 with a grain of salt, but there probably will be somewhere between 16-55 cars. Some tracks (even on PC) won't have 55 cars, just because of the track itself.

At the moment its the starts for large lobbies that kill performance. At the moment it drops to 15-20fps then as the field spaces out it returns to 30-45 on my pc

At the moment its the starts for large lobbies that kill performance. At the moment it drops to 15-20fps then as the field spaces out it returns to 30-45 on my pc
I hate to say it, but I can live with that, if that's what it takes to get a huge field racing. Obviously I'd rather a steady 60fps at all times but I can take a crappy frame rate for a half lap or however long it lasts until the field spreads out sufficiently, if it means the rest of the race is more cars and runs smoothly.

What is the start/first corner frame slow down like on your PC in a field of say 40 in single player? Like Johnny said a slowdown like the one you described is mostly an acceptable compromise although it has a detrimental impact on driving at less than say 22-25fps for me. I think that if first corner slowdown can be kept above 25fps then it's manageable. It is noticeable but doesn't have a really bad impact on driving. That's only how I see things on other older PC Sims where fps is easily measured and viewed.

Obviously when online if a player is lagging it will be interesting to see how the game deals with it. Personally I'd like to see the player ghost, incur a minor slow down penalty and/or be informed their connection is lagging.

I hate to say it, but I can live with that, if that's what it takes to get a huge field racing. Obviously I'd rather a steady 60fps at all times but I can take a crappy frame rate for a half lap or however long it lasts until the field spreads out sufficiently, if it means the rest of the race is more cars and runs smoothly.
What is the start/first corner frame slow down like on your PC in a field of say 40 in single player? Like Johnny said a slowdown like the one you described is mostly an acceptable compromise although it has a detrimental impact on driving at less than say 22-25fps for me. I think that if first corner slowdown can be kept above 25fps then it's manageable. It is noticeable but doesn't have a really bad impact on driving. That's only how I see things on other older PC Sims where fps is easily measured and viewed.

Obviously when online if a player is lagging it will be interesting to see how the game deals with it. Personally I'd like to see the player ghost, incur a minor slow down penalty and/or be informed their connection is lagging.
two answer both it takes a few corners before it increases back up to its normal rate. But while many of us sim racing fans accept that, the average fan wont. Not only this but in a review it would get mentioned as well and probably have a reasonable effect on the score.
I will say though that the little tweaks here and there have made a substantial effect on the performance of game. So it may not be as bad as my pc due to consoles being optimized individually.

This sounds very bad.... I hope it's just your pc! O_o
while yes it sounds bad but i accept it. My pc has similar specs to a xb1/ps4. However these consoles due to the purpose and design are more powerful than there spec would suggest.

Its far easier to optimise for to two dedicated machines than 100s of different configurations.

i would be really unsatisfied... it would a performance worst than gt6 and i won't be happy at all... Not even gt6 crawls at 15fps with 16 premium cars on track in turn 1 :/ hope you are wrong mate, else we would have tiny room online

Its far easier to optimise for to two dedicated machines than 100s of different configurations.

This is the most important sentence. On each PC, you can have a vastly different experience because its so hard to optimize a game for millions of different hardware combinations. I m losing only about 10-15 fps on my laptop at the start of a race in pcars and I m stilll in the 50s, yet I cant for for the life of me bring rfactor 2 to run at more than 20 fps.

Optimization is so much easier on consoles, as they are closed environments with fix hardware. I would be very surprised if pcars dips under 45 fps on PS4/XBone, even with the biggest possible starting fields.

This is the most important sentence. On each PC, you can have a vastly different experience because its so hard to optimize a game for millions of different hardware combinations. I m losing only about 10-15 fps on my laptop at the start of a race in pcars and I m stilll in the 50s, yet I cant for for the life of me bring rfactor 2 to run at more than 20 fps.

Optimization is so much easier on consoles, as they are closed environments with fix hardware. I would be very surprised if pcars dips under 45 fps on PS4/XBone, even with the biggest possible starting fields.
When we say large fields were talking 40 plus cars. Below that it has a slight drop (a few fps).

You look at the grids of real life series in the uk and Europe if you have more than 25/26 your doing extremely well. The large international series are the only ones with more. With a few exceptions such as btcc.

What of Practicing? Any word on how many AI cars will be on one track at any given time? Or are those details for game modes not completed?

If the grid can take n cars (see screenshots), surely you could have n cars as well in a practice session, since the cars would be spread out on track and/or even some in the pits.

Yes, in the practice sessions of Quick Races the AI also do practice runs. In the Free Practice game mode, there's currently a padlock on "number of opponents", but I assume that it will open up to allow AI cars there as well.

Yes, in the practice sessions of Quick Races the AI also do practice runs. In the Free Practice game mode, there's currently a padlock on "number of opponents", but I assume that it will open up to allow AI cars there as well.
This game just keeps getting better and better! :D

This game will bring true sim racing (iRacing, AC and GTR) to the console masses. No driving lines, no unrealistic assists, proper AI, pit stops, I could go on all day. I am so buying this. Maybe this game will really challenge T10 and PD to up their game.

This game will bring true sim racing (iRacing, AC and GTR) to the console masses. No driving lines, no unrealistic assists, proper AI, pit stops, I could go on all day. I am so buying this. Maybe this game will really challenge T10 and PD to up their game.
there are options for these to allow for all player to enjoy it. I used driving line to learn the tracks i never raced on as well as for learning new vehicles. There is nothing wrong with aids such as this.

there are options for these to allow for all player to enjoy it. I used driving line to learn the tracks i never raced on as well as for learning new vehicles. There is nothing wrong with aids such as this.
I know some people enjor using them and they should if they need the help. I'm gonna just race with assists relevant to the car I'm driving (ABS and TCS for BMW 1M, all off for BMW M3 E30 etc.). I hope theres a "Realistic Assists" setting somewhere so I don't have to fiddle with the driver aids for each and every car I use.

I know some people enjor using them and they should if they need the help. I'm gonna just race with assists relevant to the car I'm driving (ABS and TCS for BMW 1M, all off for BMW M3 E30 etc.). I hope theres a "Realistic Assists" setting somewhere so I don't have to fiddle with the driver aids for each and every car I use.
There will be a "factory" type setting. Better brush up on your heel and toe.

If Project CARS PS4 really wants to have a 1-1 feature list with the PC version, then give us the option to turn the resolution down to 720p or reduce some effects in order to run more cars on track at a higher framerate.

If Project CARS PS4 really wants to have a 1-1 feature list with the PC version, then give us the option to turn the resolution down to 720p or reduce some effects in order to run more cars on track at a higher framerate.

AFAIK MS/Sony don't allow to change resolution. At least I remember SMS saying that when Someone suggested it on the dev forums.

AFAIK MS/Sony don't allow to change resolution. At least I remember SMS saying that when Someone suggested it on the dev forums.
I doubt it, the ps4 supports lower resolution and all games must be playable on 720p screens too..

Largest ive seen is 120ish on pc, hopefully ps4 will have 32
That seems likely at this point. XBone:

8581274_orig.png

A quick cut'n'paste from here[/URL]: "...pCARS has three driving assist modes: "Off" (no assists allowed), "On" (user can choose ABC, TC and ASC) and "Real" (forces the assists that the real car has). These modes can be set by the host/server."
Just what I want, I'll be using real assists unless an online lobby has no assists

Back