Cars on track on PS4/xb1

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 140 comments
AFAIK MS/Sony don't allow to change resolution. At least I remember SMS saying that when Someone suggested it on the dev forums.

GT6 allows you you to choose between 720p and 1080p.

If 720p is needed for a ful 55 car grid at lemans on the ps4, Ill take it. Leave eye candy/tech demo racing to GT

If 720p is needed for a ful 55 car grid at lemans on the ps4, Ill take it. Leave eye candy/tech demo racing to GT
It might be different on the PS4

If Project CARS PS4 really wants to have a 1-1 feature list with the PC version, then give us the option to turn the resolution down to 720p or reduce some effects in order to run more cars on track at a higher framerate.

AFAIK MS/Sony don't allow to change resolution. At least I remember SMS saying that when Someone suggested it on the dev forums.

You can change the resolution of the game to suit the display that you are ouptutting to, but it doesn't change the visual fidelity of the game. That is what Sony and MS will not accept, the deliberate reduction of visual fidelity. To be honest, reducing the resolution doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of frame rate anyway.

To be honest, reducing the resolution doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of frame rate anyway.
It makes a difference in my PC gaming experience, but I'm also one to pick the smallest or second-smallest option, as long as the HUD/GUI is legible and fits the screen properly.

As a standard-definition holdout, I've occasionally wondered why I can't at least get a more stable framerate out of some console games.

👍
VBR
Here's a screen shot of Project CARS on Xbox 1.

8581274_orig.png

That looks like plenty to me!

Source.
Looks like 32 to me. And that is plenty for any platform.

Anyway, I count 17 rows on the starting grid in that XB1 screenshot, so 34 cars aren't bad either. Already more than any other PlayStation game I've played. :)
Nascar 2007 on PS2 had all 43 cars on the grid. :lol:
I remember I thought that was pretty cool back then.

I only played offline though, don't know if it worked online.

Let's hope there are plenty of cars on the grid in the multiplayer. Still curious to see how the NETCODE will be.

There have been 43 car grids in NASCAR games since thunder 2002 or 2003 I think (for ps2, GameCube, and Xbox), though the AI was a lot simpler back then than it is now.
Nascar 2007 on PS2 had all 43 cars on the grid. :lol:
I remember I thought that was pretty cool back then.

I only played offline though, don't know if it worked online.

I am very sorry to say, but I've read there will be not more then 16 cars on the grid at the Project Cars home consoles versions:

"Darin Gangi also confirms that Slightly Mad Studios' Andy Tutor mentioned that the cars on the track for the home consoles will be limited to 16. This isn't quite as expansive as the PC version, but given the limitations of the console hardware, I don't think anyone was really expecting them to compete feature-for-feature."

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ch...age-Project-CARS-Featuring-16-Cars-64844.html

Don't know if this true, but if it is it's a BIG dissapointment in my opinion

If the physics are calculated the same way like AC, the problems of a bigger grid it's not the graphic engine, it's the cpu power to calculate AI and other drivers physic.
In AC i could have 100fps with high graphics settings, but if i put a bigger grid with AI i have a lot of cpu occupancy, and a massive frame drops created by the cpu not by the graphics card.
I have a GTX 970 but my cpu its a bit old Xeon 3520.

^Online (the car amount not confirmed yet though).

It really bothers me that SMS has been so quiet about what will and will not be in the console release. That's usually never a good sign when a game is coming out in less than two months. When everyone seems to know every detail of what's coming to PC, for the console versions to be clouded in so much ambiguity does not instill confidence at all.

If the physics are calculated the same way like AC, the problems of a bigger grid it's not the graphic engine, it's the cpu power to calculate AI and other drivers physic.
In AC i could have 100fps with high graphics settings, but if i put a bigger grid with AI i have a lot of cpu occupancy, and a massive frame drops created by the cpu not by the graphics card.
I have a GTX 970 but my cpu its a bit old Xeon 3520.
AC is not a well optimized game and I expect PCars to be far better optimized.

It really bothers me that SMS has been so quiet about what will and will not be in the console release. That's usually never a good sign when a game is coming out in less than two months. When everyone seems to know every detail of what's coming to PC, for the console versions to be clouded in so much ambiguity does not instill confidence at all.

The only reason why we know so much about PC is because all the backers are already playing it there. Not because SMS would be particularly blabby about the PC version.

The console features everything that the PC version does, what is there to hide? The only things that are lacking is the link to external weather website (MS and Sony's fault), and custom livery support on the console, and that is coming.

As far as the number of cars on track goes, they are leaving it to the last minute to try and get as much optimisation out of the game's engine as possible before committing themselves to a final number. How would you feel if they said 20 per online lobby, and then struggled to get that reliably, so dropped it down to 16? What about the other way round, wouldn't you prefer them to push and get the maximum possible?

The console features everything that the PC version does, what is there to hide? The only things that are lacking is the link to external weather website (MS and Sony's fault), and custom livery support on the console, and that is coming.

As far as the number of cars on track goes, they are leaving it to the last minute to try and get as much optimisation out of the game's engine as possible before committing themselves to a final number. How would you feel if they said 20 per online lobby, and then struggled to get that reliably, so dropped it down to 16? What about the other way round, wouldn't you prefer them to push and get the maximum possible?
Thisi is why devs shouldn't make promises they can't deliver. Make the best game possible and that's it. No dev should say something is definite if it is not ingame and will not work on release.

Last edited:

The console version physically cannot feature everything the PC one does. You know it, I know it, and if that's SMS's fall back explanation, they are lying. Even if you get past the hardware limitations, there are other issues. For example, the PS4 and XB1 have no method for adding maps for custom liveries, and the game has no editor. Result? No custom liveries.

And optimization is great and all, but the game is releasing in two months and they've been working with these systems for a very long time. If they're two months out and they have absolutely no idea how many cars they can fit on track, that's a serious problem. If they are say, solid at 16 and trying to squeeze one or two more, give us a ballpark estimate. Give us something, that's the idea. The PC backers know exactly what to expect, and console players know nothing. That's my only complaint and I feel it's a valid one.

The console version physically cannot feature everything the PC one does. You know it, I know it, and if that's SMS's fall back explanation, they are lying. Even if you get past the hardware limitations, there are other issues. For example, the PS4 and XB1 have no method for adding maps for custom liveries, and the game has no editor. Result? No custom liveries.

And optimization is great and all, but the game is releasing in two months and they've been working with these systems for a very long time. If they're two months out and they have absolutely no idea how many cars they can fit on track, that's a serious problem. If they are say, solid at 16 and trying to squeeze one or two more, give us a ballpark estimate. Give us something, that's the idea. The PC backers know exactly what to expect, and console players know nothing. That's my only complaint and I feel it's a valid one.

If you have a look at DG_Silvas post that you quoted again, you will find that he rightfully said that there is gonna be no costum livery support on consoles at launch. Other than that and car count, we dont know of any feature differences between the PC version and the console version. That is the only answer we can give you since there are no public console builds, like it or not. And lastly, there is a big difference between not yet giving out definitive car counts and having "absolutely no idea how many cars they can fit on track". See timppaqs post for what is to expect, but they are still shooting for more. What is to gain if they now say they will have 24 or 32 online and 48 offline on track and then they have to reduce that last minute because 60fps at 1080p is the highest priority? Imagine the outcry.

Most of us have been through devs making promises they can't keep. I'd rather they say nothing if they are uncertain, rather than guessing and leading up to disappoinment if they are wrong. I would assume that if we are leading up to a March release, you'll get all your information in late February and early March as the hype machine goes into overdrive.

The numbers of 16 online/32 offline is the minimum that the devs feel they can get out of the system, with the ultra slim chance of more to come with further updates. However, to turn around and say that they would have more cars on track than they could comfortably run, and then have to renege on that promise would make them no better than PD or T10. Everything else that has been mentioned is confirmed to be in game.

I am very sorry to say, but I've read there will be not more then 16 cars on the grid at the Project Cars home consoles versions:

"Darin Gangi also confirms that Slightly Mad Studios' Andy Tutor mentioned that the cars on the track for the home consoles will be limited to 16. This isn't quite as expansive as the PC version, but given the limitations of the console hardware, I don't think anyone was really expecting them to compete feature-for-feature."

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ch...age-Project-CARS-Featuring-16-Cars-64844.html

Don't know if this true, but if it is it's a BIG dissapointment in my opinion

And optimization is great and all, but the game is releasing in two months and they've been working with these systems for a very long time. If they're two months out and they have absolutely no idea how many cars they can fit on track, that's a serious problem.

Expect 16 online, 32 offline.

If it's just 16 online i'll be really disappointed and surprised. I would trade eye candies for more real drivers Online.

I'll stay on the fence until release for i'm endurance racer and big grids are a major thing for me. :(

EDIT: just noticed the article is 7 months old. There might be hope.

The car amount in online lobby obviously doesn't depend on the PS4/XONE HW specs as far as calculation performance goes. How can you change eye candy for more cars on track (online) if they are dependent of totally different things?

The car amount in online lobby obviously doesn't depend on the PS4/XONE HW specs as far as calculation performance goes. How can you change eye candy for more cars on track (online) if they are dependent of totally different things?
Online is more dependant on the players internet connection.

As has been said above, the limitation is based on the Sony and MS server technology, and the amount of cars it can handle. It has been stress-tested at a much higher number, but was dropped down to keep lobbies relatively lag-free.

As has been said above, the limitation is based on the Sony and MS server technology, and the amount of cars it can handle. It has been stress-tested at a much higher number, but was dropped down to keep lobbies relatively lag-free.
Does Project Cars even use dedicated servers from Microsoft?

Latest Posts

Back