Cars that look best in odd colors

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 967 comments
Seen one in orange
IMG_0957.jpeg

Some more oddball paint to sample 911 colors:

Viola Purple Metallic on a 991.2 GT3, almost looks like that purple Diablo color... maybe it is?
90202973.jpg

Superior Red Metallic on a 992 GT3 Touring. Interior color is also an interesting choice here.
FvsIo9xXgAAgxB4.jpg

Lime Yellow on a 964 Carrera RS. Yellow is unusual on this car already, but this is a unique paint to sample shade of yellow.
Porsche-911-964-Carrera-RS-PTS-limonengelb-TJS-German-Sports-Cars-1-1-2000x1208.jpg

Dragonfly Turquoise Metallic on 993 Carrera 4S.
PORSCHE-911-993-CARRERA-4S-COUPE-012-2000x1333.jpg

Horizon Blue on a 996 Turbo S. This generation Turbo S is very rare and easy to forget it even existed, cool to see some in weird colors.
996TS.jpg

Last edited:
Some more oddball paint to sample 911 colors:

Viola Purple Metallic on a 991.2 GT3, almost looks like that purple Diablo color... maybe it is?
View attachment 1282314
It's based on Violet Blue Metallic which was offered on the 964 and 968
337_9858B161F840628AFEC32B4326A7A47D.jpg

Viola 30 has a bit more pink in it but they are fairly similar all things considered.
162878005249782.jpg

I'm a big fan of Arena Red on the 991, a color made famous on the 993 and 986/996. Rich me would totally spec an Arena Red 992 S/T.
d45015cbc49bfcbdd85052382ef0bf04.jpg

Last edited:
It's based on Violet Blue Metallic which was offered on the 964 and 968
337_9858B161F840628AFEC32B4326A7A47D.jpg

Viola 30 has a bit more pink in it but they are fairly similar all things considered.
162878005249782.jpg

I'm a big fan of Arena Red on the 991, a color made famous on the 993 and 986/996. Rich me would totally spec an Arena Red 992 S/T.
d45015cbc49bfcbdd85052382ef0bf04.jpg
Good information, thanks! I also agree about Arena Red on the 991, it looks great. It's nice to see some of Porsche's famous colors from the past on modern 911s, but Arena you don't see all that much.

1696209781273.png

This might not be a "strange colour" on most other cars, but of all the Hyundai Elantra N colour options I've seen driving around so far, they always seem to appear in either black, or the N-signature lavender colour.

Intense Blue is a pretty unpopular choice as far as I've seen, but it's honestly my favourite of the options. If I could go out and get one today, which at some point I hope I own an Elantra N, it would be in Intense Blue.

Interesting color, for sure. Supposing it must be some sort of custom color as the official Porsche color called Viper Green is this:

View attachment 1297465
Did some more digging and you're absolutely right, the 996 I posted is definitely not Viper Green. I just copied and pasted that from an Instragam caption without being careful. The only image of a 996 in that shade of green seems to be that particular car itself, uploaded to Autogespot about 10 years ago. Either it's a super rare GT3 Clubsport only color and there's only one of them, or its an aftermarket paintjob, which is more likely.

Did some more digging and you're absolutely right, the 996 I posted is definitely not Viper Green. I just copied and pasted that from an Instragam caption without being careful. The only image of a 996 in that shade of green seems to be that particular car itself, uploaded to Autogespot about 10 years ago. Either it's a super rare GT3 Clubsport only color and there's only one of them, or its an aftermarket paintjob, which is more likely.
Absolutely, either a super rare paint to sample color or a custom job. Looks a little bit pearlescent, too. Either way, I dig it. Looks great on that generation GT3.

I know, “it’s just a blue Ferrari!”, but I think one can argue that most 360 Stradales are usually spotted in red, so I think it’s kinda rare to see a Stradale in sky blue. Bonus points for the backdrop not being overly photogenic or the seeming absence of a filter (I’m seeing a lot of these in my Discover feed), both of which would probably make a certain car/colour combo look more palatable.

BTW, can anybody confirm that the colourshift paint on this pre-facelift SL 65 AMG is actually a factory-specced option? This also fits the bill of what this thread is for, but I wonder if this is something MB is actually offering as a factory option…

I'm very partial to Alfa Romeo's Monza Red
Sadly 2023+ Giulia does not have unique colors like this. Also no green, gold and other colors. I prefer 2023 facelift to prefacelift but pre facelift had such an interesting color choices. I also don't recall AR having something like Fuoriserie customization program for Maseratis. At least the choice is wider than than XE's color choices, which is white, gray, silver, dark grey, dark blue and red AFAIR. Way too safe.

Last edited:
BTW, can anybody confirm that the colourshift paint on this pre-facelift SL 65 AMG is actually a factory-specced option? This also fits the bill of what this thread is for, but I wonder if this is something MB is actually offering as a factory option…

**** I love this car. The presence, the power, the stance.. Peak luxury from Mercedes Benz. I still remember having a metallic red 1:24 scale SL55 in the DUB style when I was young. I now regret throwing that away.

Last edited:
**** I love this car. The presence, the power, the stance.. Peak luxury from Mercedes Benz. I still remember having a metallic red 1:24 scale SL55 in the DUB style when I was young. I now regret throwing that away.
Yeah, there’s something special about MB’s range from ~2005-15 in that they all look very good to me; I can’t think of a model right now that doesn’t look nice provided it’s in a specific colour/trim. Same can’t be said for previous or subsequent eras of Merc, there’s always a model from then that I just couldn’t quite bring myself to like, like the W210 E-Class. Even the facelifted W164 ML 63 looks better than the X166 GL-Class. Colourshifting Mercedes sports cars are even more of a rare breed. :drool: The IG page I snatched the SL 65 above from has quite some more goodies of Mercs from that era scattered throughout the last year (no affiliation/self-promotion here), if you also like Mercedes. Worth spending several minutes to go treasure-digging, provided that the curator looked for them on internet all by himself and did not “plagiarize”, of course.

Here’s another colourshifting one that looks pretty nice to me, this time a slightly tamer SL 55 ;)

And a non-colourshifting Benzy whose colour makes it look a bit bulbous but also does it to me:

Back