Cars which share the same headlights?

The Chrsler/Talbot Sunbeam is an interesting example. Developed in 18 months and only on sale for 4 years. It took its headlights from the Avenger.

Chrysler Sunbeam (1).jpg
Im20110101Yeo-Hil-BDX1.jpg

And then a year before being replaced, it got face-lifted with the lights from the it's upcoming replacement, the Samba

7462878570_324e5b37bc_b.jpg
samba.jpg

The Chrsler/Talbot Sunbeam is an interesting example. Developed in 18 months and only on sale for 4 years. It took its headlights from the Avenger.

View attachment 819566 View attachment 819567

And then a year before being replaced, it got face-lifted with the lights from the it's upcoming replacement, the Samba

View attachment 819568 View attachment 819569

Very similar front to the slightly larger Horizon too, which I believe also shared the same (later style) lights, the US equivalent being the Dodge Omni (which had smaller recessed lights again, similar to the Sunbeam but probably from another parts bin)

The taillights from the Jeep CJ7 were used on the Hummer H1.
1984495855_small_1.jpg

2003-hummer-h1-wagon-suv-angular-rear.png

Yes I know that they are basically just trailer lights, but I found it funny!
I've seen this one sold as aftermarket lights. They also use this for heavy trucks, too.

Those (and more) are Fiat 850 Special lights. Later some Italian specials used the 850 Sport Coupe/Fiat 128 Rally lights.

Doesn't look like it.

I mean, it does look like it, sorta, but they aren't the same lights.
They are the same lights though, it's pretty well documented. The Quattroporte's lights were slightly modified but the same light as the Nubira at first. Maybe this picture shows it better.

What the pictures show is that they're not the same, really. At least not in the way that basically every single other car in this thread has shown. They resemble each other sure, but I'm not so sure you can say they're the same.

2004-2012 Maserati Quattroporte shares the same taillights as the Daewoo Nubira.

maseratinubira-56e00c75bd52b.jpg

These are definitely not the same lights.

• For starters, the Maserati uses LED bulbs. The Daewoo does not. (This requires a completely different circuit board)
  • The clear section is centralized on the Maserati. The equivalent part on the Daewoo is offset.
  • The edges of the cluster are sharp on the Maserati while they are rounded on the Daewoo.

Just to eliminate further doubt on the Quattrporte / Nubira headlights, here is a headlight unite from the Quattroporte:

GetProductPicture

And here is one from the Nubira:

517MGLviIoL.jpg

Although there is a similarity in the style, not only do they house different types of bulbs in different cluster formations, they are completely different shapes and the finer details are all different too.

It's an interesting comparison though, I had never noticed the similarities between them before. A quick Google does actually bring up a "random facts" type website that states that they are the same, but they clearly aren't.

Last edited:
This article suggested that those two cars shared the same taillights, though it seems that it isn't true. Also, a google image search for "Maserati Quattroporte Daewoo Nubira headlights" brought up results comparing the two headlights.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/10-expensive-rides-with-parts-borrowed-from-cheap-cars/
You'll note the photo in the article says "not the same part, but the design is near identical" so even they knew it wasn't the same. I do like the comparison between the VW GTi wheels and a City of Louisville garbage can, though.

I'd also question why Maserati would be swiping parts from crappy cars in the first place after Fiat/Ferrari actually started giving their cars real development budgets instead of just "money provided by whoever de Tomaso tricked this year."

Just to eliminate further doubt on the Quattrporte / Nubira headlights, here is a headlight unite from the Quattroporte:

GetProductPicture

And here is one from the Nubira:

517MGLviIoL.jpg

Although there is a similarity in the style, not only do they house different types of bulbs in different cluster formations, they are completely different shapes and the finer details are all different too.

It's an interesting comparison though, I had never noticed the similarities between them before. A quick Google does actually bring up a "random facts" type website that states that they are the same, but they clearly aren't.
Seems like they're only similar in terms of shape and layout. Other than that, not much else.

I maintain that the Matra Murena really doesn't look like the sort of vehicle that would be mid-engined. The Bagheera doesn't either, but the Murena appeals to me more.

I'd also question why Maserati would be swiping parts from crappy cars in the first place after Fiat/Ferrari actually started giving their cars real development budgets instead of just "money provided by whoever de Tomaso tricked this year."
You must not be familiar with the parts bin sharing then, considering the Masers use the same switch units as lowly Dodge Darts.

Back