Chances of Porsche in GT6

Paid Porsche DLC

• Total voters
A few months back I asked Andy Tudor, creative director on Project CARS, whether it was frustrating to not be able to include Porsches in Project CARS. His one-word response was simply, “Nope.” :lol::lol:

............Didn't SMS (devs of PCars) work on Need For Speed games for EA before? If anyone has inside track on exactly what is going on with Porsche/EA shenanigans it should be these guys. If they aren't too bothered by it, they must know something the rest of the world doesn't....

What frustrates me the most is that the only game that has all 3 LMP1s is a pay 2 win mobile game with horrible physics and a broken economy and not a racing simulator for the actual car enthusiasts that care about those cars.
Pearls before swines.

A great read
............Didn't SMS (devs of PCars) work on Need For Speed games for EA before? If anyone has inside track on exactly what is going on with Porsche/EA shenanigans it should be these guys. If they aren't too bothered by it, they must know something the rest of the world doesn't....
They did but I'm not sure if it even had Porsche and I think EA were just the Publisher

I hope Porsches make it into GT7. I believe all the major consoles games should have them

In the meantime I'll have to make do with this :cool:
I love the oversized Porsche logo on the hood , says 'THIS IS A PORSCHE, NOT A RUF'

image.jpg
Unfortunately, I think the chances of porsche in Gran Turismo are slim to none. If Forza doesn't have Porsches, than why would Gran Turismo get them? But I would love to see this.

RUFs are a good enough replacement for me, I really never got this deal between EA and Porsche, never seen anyone say oh GT/Forza/DC/CARS/AC/Iracing doesn't have Porsches so I'm going to buy Need for speed instead and although Porsche are doing well, they'd still be losing some fan appeal.

Nice article.

EA are sitting on such an historic license for what? It's sad to see that unless they end that ridiculous deal, we're not going to see any Porsche cars in GT/PCars/any racing games other than NFS and it's an absolute shame. I can't even begin to describe how upset that makes me to know that they're sitting on one of the most beautiful brand in the whole world to do nothing with it. Porsche is a brand that is loved by so many people, Porsche has been loved by different generations, they don't need any game for that if you're already into motorsports and cars.

It can make Porsche be a bit overlooked compared to other brands that are being exposed to the whole gaming world a lot more these days, look at how much new race car gamers grew love for the Audi R8, Ferrari 458 Italia, Ferrari LaFerrari, Mercedes SLS, Mercedes AMG GT, Nissan GT-R, Lamborghini Aventador, Pagani Huayra, McLaren MP4-12C and lately the McLaren P1. Where's the love for the Porsche 911 in all that? EA is giving the pleasure to drive (virtualy) that amazing brand to people who probably doesn't even understand how much Porsche means to cars enthusiasts such as the GT/FM/PCars/AC/iRacing community.

And that part in the article that talks about PCars having the official license for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. How disappointing is that if you can't even include the star of last year's show? The big return of Porsche at Le Mans? It's just a shame.

It’s honestly hard to see how any of this benefits Porsche in any real way. After all, there was no new Need for Speed game or Real Racing game released in 2014. Why is Porsche content with this deal? Is Porsche simply satisfied to sit in the grandstand watching gamers test driving vehicles from every other major auto manufacturer all year? It makes no real sense.

This is the same kind of humongous logical leap so present in the forum posts the article alludes to, and it tarnishes the rest if it pretty bad. If the deal didn't benefit Porsche in 2014, did it benefit them in 2001? 2003? 2004? No Need for Speed games with Porsches in those years, and EA obviously had the licence then too. Why would Porsche not only continuously renew the deal between the two companies, but in the past decade seemingly make it even stronger than it had been?

Could it be because the article makes the same mistake so many of those forum posts do, overstating the impact of the "serious" racers and downplaying the ones that are "just" arcade racers? Need for Speed games are bona fide million sellers. No, not individually more than Gran Turismo games (though that Real Racing 3 game apparently has 5 million downloads); but they come out a hell of a lot more frequently and on a hell of a lot more systems; far moreso than any other individual series. Does rapid, wide releases of a series with high popularity not increase exposure compared to one game every ~3 years at best?
The article mentions that the licence isn't being used to the fullest potential because a Porsche isn't on the cover even though it's the only place to get it. Is there any proof that a Porsche would be a lock for the cover of a GT title? We already know that they wouldn't be for a Forza, so if a Porsche wasn't on the cover of a GT game it would also just be another car in the game. Except unlike Need for Speed, it wouldn't be 1 or 2 cars out of ~40, but maybe 5 or 6 cars out of well over a thousand.

Could it be because Porsche isn't interested in trying to deal with multiple parties and thus find the current deal where EA handles everything on their (and EA's) behalf ideal? For all of the outrage when EA cut off the NFL 2K series at the knees in 2005 after ESPN NFL 2K5 outsold Madden, we now know that it was the NFL that initiated that deal because they wanted a sole partner instead of dealing with multiple licencees. Who's to say Porsche isn't the same way?

Could it be that perhaps Porsche isn't too bothered that the people who are already aware of Porsche's racing ("enthusiasts") can't replicate that history in sim games because those people are already aware of it? Porsche doesn't go racing so the race cars can be featured in games. If people already know about Porsche's racing efforts and can link them to Porsche road cars, Porsche has already accomplished what they went racing for in the first place.
Gran Turismo certainly was fundamental (as was the rise of the tuner culture following Fast and the Furious) in the Lancer Evolution (and the WRX) finally being offered in America. But comparing that to Porsche not being in Gran Turismo/Forza, and to futher imply that it might lead to lost sales in the future, is a false equivalency. No one knew about the Lancer Evolution in America, because there was no popular outlet other than Gran Turismo to link this piece of crap:
e28b6ee66c2cebf74b8c71b8f57e9e26.jpg

With a 300 HP AWD rally machine.

You can't say the same thing of Porsche; because even if you ignore the inherent brand cachet, the TV advertisements, the popular representation in movies and shows and music, the actual races that Porsche takes part in... Porsche is still featured fairly prominently in a highly popular, long running video game franchise.

So how are they actively hurt by not being in more serious titles to the extent that their deal with EA isn't worth pursuing?

Last edited:
.............That article from IGN states nothing new, actually. Folks who wants to see Porsche in non-EA games always mention a couple of points that's basically saying German marque will lose future business.
Porsche PR folks are no dummies, let's make that clear - they probably ran a lot of numbers and came to a conclusion that was a most ideal for them. If they wish to stick to EA, then they must have a good, sound reason to do so.
On the flip side, however, the fact that pretty much no Porsches appearing in a game outside of limited scope of EA-published cars should concern EA themeselves; I mean, they are getting a bad rap, for one, and as far as business case goes, they aren't making as much cash as they could because no one else is ready to pony up the $$.
Why is EA being a little too stubborn about this? How much exactly are they asking for the sub-license?
..........Dang it, wish I knew...

Nissan as a brand has raised it's profile with me personally. It's marketing and motorsports strategy has grasped my attention in recent years.
They are a company that really seem to understand the value of reaching out to potential consumers of there products.

It's no wonder then that I'm not surprised when I read things like this
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., today announced financial results for the third quarter of fiscal year 2014, ending March 31, 2015, as well as for the first nine months and filed the following results with the Tokyo Stock Exchange:

• Net revenues of 8.09 trillion yen
• Operating profit of 417.9 billion yen
• Net income of 338.8 billion yen

For the April-December 2014 period, Nissan sold a total of 3,835,000 vehicles globally.

Now I don't know the length of Porches tie in with EA. The intricacies of the agreement or how Porsche view driving and racing simulators such as GT or if they even care.
But It does seem to me that Porsche are missing a trick. Nissan posting strong profits is no coincidence when you consider there marketing strategy.

But It does seem to me that Porsche are missing a trick. Nissan posting strong profits is no coincidence when you consider there marketing strategy.
Volkswagen's third-quarter earnings jumped as profit margins at its main passenger-car division rose for the first time in almost two years, adding to record sales of luxury Audis and Porsches.

Third-quarter vehicle sales at Audi and Porsche, which account for two-thirds of VW group earnings before interest and tax (EBIT), were up 7.2 percent and 25 percent respectively to 429,250 and 47,800 cars.

Linky.

That's the very same third quarter.

Last edited:
Nissan as a brand has raised it's profile with me personally. It's marketing and motorsports strategy has grasped my attention in recent years.
They are a company that really seem to understand the value of reaching out to potential consumers of there products.

It's no wonder then that I'm not surprised when I read things like this

Now I don't know the length of Porches tie in with EA. The intricacies of the agreement or how Porsche view driving and racing simulators such as GT or if they even care.
Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world measured in profit/unit.

I keep seeing this thread pop up and for some reason I continue to hope for positive news (slim as it may be).

I love Porsche and VW Group in general but I've given up on a more inclusive list of the cars from any of their brands. Instead, I'll just go outside and drive my Porsches. A shame though because it would be nice to virtually flog the out of reach Porsches. Autocross and a 987S can only go so far.

Yeah, I honestly knew for a while that Porsche doesn't care about being represented in the virtual world. I can understand why, they're successful in the racing world and they're profitable. For that though, I still can't help with being upset about that. After FM4, I will probably never be able to have a decent experience with Porsche cars ever again. I have to stick with Rufs and I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to be fully okay with that. I mean, they look like Porsches, but I know that they aren't. It's like how I replicate a car in a game, it looks similar to that car, but I know that it really isn't that car.

Back