Chevrolet Corvette (C3) L88 SCCA #12 Tony DeLorenzo 1969

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sick Cylinder
  • 15 comments
  • 5,446 views
Messages
5,282
Messages
Sick_Cylinder
In 1969 Tony DeLorenzo won the United States SCCA championship in his L88 Corvette - this is the winningest Corvette in history with 22 consecutive victories!


Corvette L88.jpg
OwensCorningCorvette_01_1500.jpg
Corvette L88 1.jpg
Corvette L88 2.jpg
 
the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport raced by Bob Bondurant was a killer too and the L88 raced by DeLorenzo later on, both Corvettes are a piece of true racing history & they both looked like something out of this world at that time!... you got my vote :)
Grand Sport.jpg
 
Great picture GTChampion. I also liked the Greenwood cars paint scheme - these cars were probably better known in Europe as they raced at Le Mans. It would be nice if PD could give us a range of historic liveries especially for race cars like the Corvette and GT40.
Greenwood Corvette.jpg
Greenwood Corvette 1.jpg
 
I agree with Sick Cylinder - I think we need a base model race car and then a range of liveries which can be purchased such as Greenwood, Tony DeLorenzo etc - it could even be more credits for the most famous livery.

Definitely would like to have the Gulf Oil livery available for the Ford GT40.
 
In that first picture was it racing against prototypes?
 
In that first picture was it racing against prototypes?

Yes - the first picture is from the world sports car championship which was open to Group 6 Prototype Sports Cars, Group 4 Sports Cars and Group 3 Grand Touring cars. Tony won the SCCA championship in 1969 not the world sports car championship.
 
Yes - the first picture is from the world sports car championship which was open to Group 6 Prototype Sports Cars, Group 4 Sports Cars and Group 3 Grand Touring cars. Tony won the SCCA championship in 1969 not the world sports car championship.

Wow I knew the L88's were fast but I didn't know they were fast enough to compete with prototypes.
 
Wow I knew the L88's were fast but I didn't know they were fast enough to compete with prototypes.

They didn't compete against prototypes - they competed with prototypes. Endurance racing contains multiple classes - one of the big challenges for drivers is to pass cars from lower classes and also for drivers to allow others to pass without losing a position in their category.

In 1969 The World Championship for makes (Prototypes) was won by Porsche with Ford second and Lola third.

The International Cup for GT Cars was won by Porsche with Chevrolet second and Ferrari third.
 
I love these L88 and also the ZL1 Stingrays!!! I have a 72 Stingray 454 Coupe and plan to add the L88/ZL1 wheel flares to it when I repaint it.
 
I took these photos during the July 2016 "Legends of Brands Hatch Super Prix" - I hope you all like them.

Slide Chevrolet Corvette 4 Pictures.jpg
 
Back