Cities: Skylines (the Sim City we deserve)

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Akira AC, Mar 10, 2015.

1. eran0004

eran0004

Update: It seems like I got it working now. I reverted to my old save, edited the ship paths, but instead of using Move It I bulldozed all of the ports and built new ones in their place. Now there's just one outside connection per terminal and as you can see the number of ships is a lot more realistic. I also managed to fit a third cargo terminal in there.

To conclude: Never ever ever ever use the Move It mod on seaports.

Skärmbild (1061).png

RetroJohan, redhed17 and MatskiMonk like this.
  2. Samus

Samus

It's funny how the most interesting stuff you build seems to come out of nowhere, rather than extensive planning. I made this junction and I was just going to continue backing houses onto it, probably with a gap of trees and paths. Then I thought maybe I'll make a very small raised rocky bit of land instead, it could look nice. Nothing too drastic.

real1.jpg

Then before you know it I'm terraforming what was originally completely flat land and...

real2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Cities_ Skylines_20201012213459.jpg
    Cities_ Skylines_20201012221926.jpg

Had absolutely no intention of doing that but before I know it I've made a natural walking/camping mountainous area with a path above the road between it. Think it should look pretty good once everything else is built around it.

Yet it feels like when you do plan ahead and think "Yeah, i'm gonna build X there later" it never turns out as well as you'd hoped. Just me?

3. eran0004

eran0004

It depends on the size of the build, but for the bigger projects it always takes at least two iterations before I’m happy with the result. Sometimes you need to start building before you get an idea about how it should be.

4. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

So since the new PC didn't arrive this week owing to graphics card supply issues... I've been fiddling around a bit more with Cooper County tonight.

Some randoms...

Scumhole shack (GTA:VC reference). It actually operates as a trash facility. Farm windmill on site generates electricity also.

20201017230430_1.jpg

First thing I made using PO's. Still trying to get the highway geometry to smooth out, but the walled off sections under the slip roads, and graffitti are PO's. Also this was my first experiment with the lane marking mod.
    20201017230459_1.jpg

Again, nothing special, just trying to get used to more detailing. Here on the left, I thought I'd flesh out the crematorium asset with some memorial gardens. On the right I was experimenting again with PO's, this time to recolour a 1×1 asset black - it's in the back yard of the fire station and serves to be a fire training tower.
    20201017230537_1.jpg

.. in Suburbia ... ooooohh.. ... the new town that sprunt up to support the expanding forestry industry...
    20201017230553_1.jpg

The edge of the new town, with some remnants of the old town...
    20201017230615_1.jpg

Again, just a PO experiment. I wanted to flesh out the high school, so it has an additional 'wing' on the left... I like to think this is for sciences... I also tried to make a sports field as part of the highschool.
    20201017230702_1.jpg

Another shot of the Martel logging yard...
    20201017230115_1.jpg

... and the local impact...
    20201017230229_1.jpg

__

All these shots were optimised in PS before uploading. I need to get my head around LUT mods to get them to look like this in game.

eran0004 and redhed17 like this.
  5. redhed17

redhed17

Love the windmill. I hadn't seen one like that before. :) It'll be like playing a new game when the new PC is sorted. ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:00 AM
  6. eran0004

eran0004

Looking good @MatskiMonk !

Edit: I spent around one million credits on building a second port in the city to the southwest.

Skärmbild (1069).png

Around half of the budget was for tweaking the placement of the passenger terminal until the cruise ships stopped doing this:

Skärmbild (1062).png

To compensate for the cost I invested in a new oil field. Although I got carried away and ended up extracting way more oil than I needed. In the end I just turned off 25% of the pumps and temporarily turned off another 25% just so that they all wouldn't spawn their trucks at the exact same time.

Skärmbild (1068).png Skärmbild (1067).png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    RetroJohan likes this.
  7. Samus

Samus

I'm guessing not since people say the traffic mod is practically essential on PC, but when two single lane slip roads merge to a two lane highway at an interchange is there any tricks to stop the idiotic AI all trying to immediately cross into the inside lane, causing traffic from one lane to stop while the other cuts across?

Cities_ Skylines_20201017225002.jpg

The stupid thing is that at the next node some of them move back to the outside lane!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 1:59 PM
  8. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

I don't know of one. Could try running it into a two line highway for a node or two.

9. eran0004

eran0004

The only trick I know is to increase the angle between the roads so that the one-lane road joining from ground level shows an arrow turning left instead of straight on. They will still pick the inside lane if they feel like it leads to a more direct route to their final desitnation, but those who are happy to sit in the outside lane should be able to go there straight away.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 3:05 PM
  10. Samus

Samus

I'll give it a try. I've got pretty good at managing console traffic, usually keep it around 90% even with 75,000+ but some of the things they do is just so frustrating!

So another unrelated question, in my early progress snow city when I check my exports panel I see that literally every single industrial zoned building is currently exporting generic goods (purple). Does that just mean I've not got enough commercial in my own city for them to sell to?

11. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

It can do, if you have high commercial demand.

If commercial demand is low and your exporting a lot, it means you're more than meeting your own needs, and profiting from export.

If your exporting a lot, but importing a lot too (of the same thing) then perhaps theres some logistics shenanigans afoot.

Obviously generally better for the bank balance to be exporting a lot than importing a lot.

12. Samus

Samus

Ok thanks. Will check later but I believe imports were about 200, and only the stuff I wasn't producing locally yet (Ore & Oil). So good there, exports were about 1200, 80% of which is generic goods from my generic industry buildings. It seemed on and off whether the unique factories were exporting, although I only have two so far in this city.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 3:14 PM