Cities: Skylines (the Sim City we deserve)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 1,530 comments
Last night I followed, in first person view, one of the Cims going home from Uni. Got a Tram to a Metro, that Metro to another Metro, and then a short walk home. :eek: It is nice to see that the transport links up, and they use it. :)

Weird view from beneath the surface, but interesting to see what is modelled and not in some buildings.

Im guessing the free ps+ game will be the base game, is it worth getting dlcs,? Seems fun the disaster thing hehe.

I don't have much experience with this type of game, did a little like tropico on 360.

I'm really not a fan of the disasters DLC. It's probably fine if you're only playing the base game, but if you've put any level of thought into a city's design, or laboured over any aspect of it, it can be pretty annoying to have to try and fix it again afterwards. It comes with some useful services, but I've turned the disasters off.

I had no experience with games like this either, but I've racked up a few hundred hours at least.

For the closest population zones set it so they prefer education. I can't remember what the actual policy is called. If that doesn't work set more areas to prefer education.

This might be what I've missed, I think I've nailed everything else...

..except for the paths, mostly my campus has a little internal road network... does this make a difference?

I'm really not a fan of the disasters DLC. It's probably fine if you're only playing the base game, but if you've put any level of thought into a city's design, or laboured over any aspect of it, it can be pretty annoying to have to try and fix it again afterwards. It comes with some useful services, but I've turned the disasters off.

I had no experience with games like this either, but I've racked up a few hundred hours at least.

..except for the paths, mostly my campus has a little internal road network... does this make a difference?
Yh i guess the idea sounds fun at 1st but is annoying in practice.

I think as long as you have good transport links to the Campus area, it should be OK. The easier it is to get from all areas of the map the better.

I do have roads that go through the Uni buildings, with Trams and Buses. And they link to a Monorail and Metro as well as other bus routes. I think the biggest change was changing to favour education though, and also building more houses and shops in a gap I had between an area and the Campus. That gave the little push I needed. :)

I think as long as you have good transport links to the Campus area, it should be OK. The easier it is to get from all areas of the map the better.

I do have roads that go through the Uni buildings, with Trams and Buses. And they link to a Monorail and Metro as well as other bus routes. I think the biggest change was changing to favour education though, and also building more houses and shops in a gap I had between an area and the Campus. That gave the little push I needed. :)

Well, seems I was just being a dumbass. I enabled the prefer education policy in a local high-density residential area, and the Uni student number climbed a little bit... then... I realised, that although I'd intended not to, I'd built a university about 3 blocks up the road! I 'dozed this and dumped a library there instead, and within a few minutes the the main campus student level jumped by 100%!

__

25-tile Rockwood V2 is now at about 85,000 citizens. Going FAR better than V1 did. I've build so much infrastructure I could dump down a load of zoning and probably climb to 130k or so in short order... but I'm still trying to be more thoughtful than that... running out of ideas though, think I'll have to take a leaf out of Eran's book and maybe take inspiration from real-world locales.

.. also, don't drink a bottle of wine and build an oil field... the outcome is lots and lots and lots and lots of traffic. Lots of money too... but mostly just lots of traffic.

I'm currently working on my fourth city since getting the game for PS4 about two years ago, and with all the expansions in place I must say I wish I could have 12 tiles instead of 9. It's beginning to feel more like a matter of finding room for everything than letting creativity run wild. Kinda ironic when considering the fact Cities Skylines happened to save the world from the ridiculously cramped Sim City 2013. Anyway, still a great game Cities Skylines.

9 tiles is fine for Vanilla with no DLC, with all the DLC, 25 tiles on the PC is about right, there's a mod that takes it to 81 tiles also, but outside of the 25 tile area things can get glitchy.

Downloaded the Monaco Yacht Club from the workshop and reworked the waterfront area. Looks like a nice place to hang out in the summer. :cool:

Skärmbild (614).png

Skärmbild (615).png

Hit 100k citizens in Rockwood V2 tonight..

The city so far...
20200502222939_1.jpg

Castor and Pollux, the two traffic spirals of Cape Ring junction...
20200502222820_1.jpg

The Cake junction to the left, Acinom district in the middle.. this got flooded numorous times when the dam at the bottom was build.. It's called Acinom, because it's Monica backwards.. and everytime it flooded, for some reason, I wanted to say "Monica..." like Ja Rule in the Fast and the Furious...
20200502222700_1.jpg

Look-out mountian, at the bottom of the map
20200502222557_1.jpg

Lakeside...
20200502222508_1.jpg

Too much oil...
20200502222423_1.jpg

A 4 way rail junction...@redhed17... this is what I mean when I say,
20200502222346_1.jpg

Just a local population centre for the Henge mountain Ore Mines...
20200502222311_1.jpg

... and Henge mountain...

20200502222222_1.jpg

@MatskiMonk I like the watertowers inside the traffic spirals!

It's a habit, I'll often put either a water tower, a radio mast or a wind turbine in the middle of my roundabouts.

I’m curious how that mining company got permission to set up their business next to what I presume is a prehistoric monument

Henge mountain mining corporation knows that the mayor of Rockwood is partial to doing silly things after a few too many drinks... and the area is very very rich in ore deposits.

Installed the SateliteView mod...

Rockwood 2048x2048 2083-11-17 mid.png

One click fixed, plan view, photo of the city... like a photo version of the CSL Map tool. Although as of this shot I'm at 112,000 population in Rockwood V2 25-tile, I'll probably just click off a snap shot each session, and then put together an animated gif of the city's growth.

edit: If there are any noobs this month, my tip - as you can see here - build roads pro-actively, not re-actively.

Seems like my computer is not powerful enough to run the satellite mod. It just freezes everything, even at 1024 resolution.

Seems like my computer is not powerful enough to run the satellite mod. It just freezes everything, even at 1024 resolution.

I got a stutter at 2048 shooting 25 tiles... and my PC is 10+ years old. Seems more likely it's clashing with another mod perhaps? The only 'visual' mod I use is clouds and fog toggler.

edit:

Current system specs

upload_2020-5-7_17-46-0.png

Last edited:
I got a stutter at 2048 shooting 25 tiles... and my PC is 10+ years old. Seems more likely it's clashing with another mod perhaps? The only 'visual' mod I use is clouds and fog toggler.

edit:

Current system specs

View attachment 918610

Yeah it could be mod incompatibility. I have some camera mod that allows me to change the field of view. It could also be the tree LOD mod, since the satellite mod would attempt to view all trees on the entire map at the same time. You do have 2GB more RAM then me, but on the other hand your city is also twice the size of mine.

Free for ps+ subscribers. This is an awesome game, it’s not hard to spend an obscene amount of time playing it in one sitting.

Whenever I decide to build a PC I will buy this again just so I can mod the crap out of it.

I finally got a new SSD over the weekend to start clean with an installation of Win10 instead of Win7. Everything went pretty well, nearly got all progs I had before installed. Some progs not getting put back on though after you realise what you use and don't use. ;) Not rushing it, add a bit more bits and pieces when I am in the mood after seeing things are stable. I have all the progs I need now for work. Didn't think I had any work until about Sept because of the situation until last week, so wanted to get the basics sorted as quickly and as easy as possible.

Put in Cities Skylines, and after getting to a point I had before with all the Mods, loaded in a saved city. Started losing money pretty instantly on a city that was quite stable with about 2.8m in the bank and about 150k population. Looked around to see what was losing all the money, and there were whole zoned sections of the city with no buildings. :eek: Not sure what caused it, a Mod or what. So loaded an earlier game save, to see if it was the last save, and it did the same thing. :eek:

I restarted the scenario I was on, because I liked the original challenge, and like the map to carry on with. The challenge isn't going as well as the first time I did it, but I think that is because I can't remember how I beat the challenge last time. :rolleyes: :lol: Not really interested into tracking down what went wrong as I have a long list of Mods and I don't want to be searching through does and doesn't work with what if I don't need to. :rolleyes: It seems to be working now, and that is all that matters. :)

With Win10 the game seems to be running a bit better, and close up the graphics look slightly improved, even though it is at the same resolution as before. I haven't changed any settings, so I assume all other settings were the same as before, but it looks better for some reason. :) And a clean installation every so often works wonders. :lol:

Do the buildings in the Japan-themed content creator pack grow at random like University City, or is it district-dependent like the European Surburbia and Modern City Centre packs? I've been wanting to buy it since it came out a few weeks ago, but I'm on the fence until I know the answer to this question.

Do the buildings in the Japan-themed content creator pack grow at random like University City, or is it district-dependent like the European Surburbia and Modern City Centre packs? I've been wanting to buy it since it came out a few weeks ago, but I'm on the fence until I know the answer to this question.

I'm not 100% since I don't have it, but reading the reviews on Steam, it appears they are ploppable only. They won't spawn automatically anywhere.

Today I made lots and lots and lots of traffic...

But also, I experimented with this...

20200509223814_1.jpg

My City has 2 main line rail lines off map. I've also got an internal rail network that connects dedicated industry areas that can effectively only really export (via Ship, or Air hubs). Every time I link the internal rail network with the external one, it gets ****ing swamped with traffic.

So, I thought I'd try and build a rail-only hub. The main rail cross-roads on the left connects the North/South and East/West outside connection routes. This is laid out so trains never have to cross incoming traffic. Off that, I took an in feed and out feed from/to the north, south, east and west lines, and fed them to the uppermost cargo station in the screen shot. Again, doing it with eight separate connections means traffic in one direction never crosses the other, this is vital for high capacity rail networks... then the bottom two cargo stations in the screen shot are fed by a single spit line in, which is the end of the internal cargo rail network.

So.. the internal trains come in, the trucks leave the cargo hub with my industry export cargo, and follow a one way clockwise route, that twists and turns underground, then feeds back up to the external hub... and the returning trucks then go through a couple of traffic spirals back to the incoming station. I kept adding to the length and adjusting the speed limit on the roads down, until the traffic flow between the two, even with 2 loco's in and 1 out in permanent use, became pretty much constant. Crucially there is NO road connection from the this rail hub to the outside world, so the traffic is finite, and does not impact the surrounding road network. Also... since there's no direct rail connection between the internal lines and external lines, the external lines never get overloaded... in Rockwood V1, big spikes in Cargo trains crippled the passenger lines bringing tourists into the city,

So far it works well, even with a queue of trains waiting to unload everything keeps moving reasonably well, and there's no impact on the road network. I use the Biogas Silo extensively for trash collection, so there's one of those within the closed loop, but wince natural disasters DLC comes with Helicopter Police, Firefighters and Air Ambulances, the services are all taken care of. I didn't even have to put anything in for workers to access the site.. though I will put in a bus only route at some stage.

I made some changes to the highways. The main north-south route was running to the east of the airport, but I wanted to make a highway connection between the southern entrance to the city and the north-east entrance. That made the eastern route kind of obsolete, so it was downgraded to a main road.

Before:
highway1.jpg

After:
highway2.jpg

Skärmbild (624).png Skärmbild (623).png Skärmbild (621).png

All your pics look so much more realistic than the pics i see on the sony ps4 store for this, looking cartoony.
Im guessing you all used mods for realistic graphics..

All your pics look so much more realistic than the pics i see on the sony ps4 store for this, looking cartoony.

Mods definitely can be used to give a more realistic look to screen shots, but it's not the only element. Firstly, @eran0004 is very good a designing cities and putting the time into building them one building at a time. This can only really be done with mods, but it allows you to skip over some of the original vanilla assets which shipped with the game. These were not realistic looking at all, especially when you look at some of the quality that does get made by the community, and, you have to want to make the layouts look realistic... this is an uphill battle since generally speaking, the game doesn't really allow for the fine detail in placement that we see in the real world.

Choosing the right assets, placing them carefully, and having some good lighting mods will make for a realistic looking city... on the Playstation you would be limited.

Personally, I don't take that approach. I rarely place individual buildings, and I don't use any visual mods (except for clouds and fog toggler, but that's just so I can turn them off and regain a few FPS), so my cities - visually at least - would be achievable with patience on the PS4.

I really don't have the skill of patience to work on the look of my city anyway, I'm more about getting the logistics right.

Watch this guys Kobayashi Island and Mars builds to see how far it can go visually.

Yeah I use a mod that change the lighting settings (I think it's called Relight). I guess the most noticeable thing is that the shadows are darker and that shadow blur is turned off. But if you have a good map theme it will look pretty realistic without mods. Don't know what map themes are available on the PS4, but there's some nice ones on the workshop for PC at least.

I'll normally turn the texture, detail and shadow settings up if I'm posting a screenshot, but at 135,000 citizens on 25 tiles, If I don't turn everything back down FPS starts to drop dramatically when scrolling around the map.... like, it drops to 1 fps, and even when zoomed in on neighbourhoods or districts, if it's heavy traffic it gets really stuttery.

Still thinkin' 'bout getting a new PC for this... I passed 500 hours in game over the weekend.

Back