• 41 comments

GTvsForza

Premium
United States
The Gem State
GTvsForza
GTvsForza
I accidentally scratched my Forza Horizon :banghead:

Anyone know how to clean it properly? I searched online and it keeps saying that toothpaste is a good solution :confused:

I accidentally scratched my Forza Horizon :banghead:

Anyone know how to clean it properly? I searched online and it keeps saying that toothpaste is a good solution :confused:

I've actually tried that and as far as I can tell it works. You can get cd polish from computer stores but who knows. I've also heard car wax works but never tried.

I've actually tried that and as far as I can tell it works. You can get cd polish from computer stores but who knows. I've also heard car wax works but never tried.

Well it makes sense because car wax removes scratches on the cars. I don't know, it's a little risky putting toothpaste on a $60 game. But if people say it works, then I should try it :nervous:

Depending on how deep it is, white tp should work. A dab near center, add a bit of water and go in a circular motion, working outwards. Also some retailers will allow an exchange for same product, just make sur they stock the game first.

If the sratch is deep enough some data will be gone, which could be the game start up, meaning you are done...
A digital scratch is different than a car scratch. I've used toothpaste, but like I said the depth makes the difference.

Make sure the toothpaste is a gentle one, not too abrasive.

It's missing the next data string to tell it where to go. Hopefully cleaning may clean it up, but sounds a deep cut to me. IMHO.

It was pretty deep. I took it to Hastings to have it cleaned and the scratch is still slightly visible. I could try toothpaste next. If that doesn't work, I might trade it with another.

One thing to remember is that even though a DVD is fairly robust a human hair is roughly 6,000 times thicker than a data bit.

Now that is something astonishing browneyedman, never thought of it like that.

GT, if you have a Walmart near by or Target they may exchange your copy for a new one, I did this once a few months back cause of a game not working and all I needed was an ID, no receipt either. Just make sure they have the same copy in store, meaning if you have a limited edition they wont exchange.

Now that is something astonishing browneyedman, never thought of it like that.

GT, if you have a Walmart near by or Target they may exchange your copy for a new one, I did this once a few months back cause of a game not working and all I needed was an ID, no receipt either. Just make sure they have the same copy in store, meaning if you have a limited edition they wont exchange.

Walmart? At this time of year? I don't think so!

The little toothpaste trick is very usueful, but it won't work if the scratch made it past the first layer of clear code on the DVD. Scrubbing that off a bit, with toothpase, can work well on light scratches. Otherwise, exchanging the disc will be the only possiblity.

Yep, the game is definitely gone :(

I used soap, I paid for a clean up, and I even used toothpaste! It is gone for good.

The little toothpaste trick is very usueful, but it won't work if the scratch made it past the first layer of clear code on the DVD. Scrubbing that off a bit, with toothpase, can work well on light scratches. Otherwise, exchanging the disc will be the only possiblity.

I tried trading it at Gamestop, Walmart, and Hastings, and they all said the same thing: "We can't trade a game with a ring in it."

🤬

Well, I have a Hastings that does disc cleaning. I can go there.

In the meantime, I got some catching up to do with Forza 4 :)

question is have you tried the toothpaste? if not then i would not recommend until trying it on another cd. i tried the tp before with too much and messed up the cd.

I have tried toothpaste, but I don't think I did it right. Was I supposed to wait for it to dry and then wipe it off?

Hmmm...

Sooo...how'd you scratch it so deep??

Being the one who doesn't take out the disc when finished playing, I was helping replace my old TV with a flatscreen. I guess I dropped the console while I was taking it off of the TV.

After everything was hooked up with the flatscreen, I tried playing Horizon and then the console started making a clicking sound and the game froze.

If the game actually reads, then what you can do is go rent a copy from red box. Install it to your HD and then as long as your scratched disc still reads as "forza horizon" instead of "unrecognizable disc" or something along that, it should still work.

You wouldn't even have to drop it, GTvsForza; the 360 has an insatiable appetite for DVD plastic and is ridiculously grumpy about being moved. Don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to my first copy of FM4:
reflections.jpg

Fun fact: The portable CD Walkman was launched in 1984. It's just a tad ridiculous that over 20 years later, Microsoft can't manage to sell a console that can handle being gingerly moved without destroying your software.

Here is what the scratch looks like
photo.JPG

Plus
You wouldn't even have to drop it, GTvsForza; the 360 has an insatiable appetite for DVD plastic and is ridiculously grumpy about being moved. Don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to my first copy of FM4:
reflections.jpg

Fun fact: The portable CD Walkman was launched in 1984. It's just a tad ridiculous that over 20 years later, Microsoft can't manage to sell a console that can handle being gingerly moved without destroying your software.
Holy cow! That's messed up!

The xbox standing up is not what causes scratches. Moving it while the disc is in play is what will cause a circular scratch. Also GTvsForza your photo doesnt show.

The xbox standing up is not what causes scratches. Moving it while the disc is in play is what will cause a circular scratch.

I was just implying that it is easier for it wobble standing up than lying down. Causing motion for scratching :)

Back