ClubSport V2 Introduction

• Thread starter thehawk05
  • 184 comments
He will likely send you a V2 set for your review, well I hope he does.

I will say now I expect the V2 to be a great competitor to your "Real Feel" brake pedal. So yes indeed progression, improvement yet just like the Porsche chassis going from GT3 - GT2 incremental.

CSW wheel deserves a truer more motorsport specific set of pedals.

Oh and while Thomas is reading, here is an idea. Lets be creative, let's innovate and lets have a set of pedals that works in essence as the wheel having quick release rim changing.

I put to Thomas, allow people to run F1 wheel rim with easy swap F1 pedals. Oh you want to change to rallying. Simple easy pedal inversion and pedal positioning please. All in a new design that accommodates various driving formats. Yet does so with higher quality springs, heavier build improved precision and response.

Does any of this get your attention?

A cursory glance at CST's website found....load cell brakes, no hydraulic fluid in sight. Maybe I should check again.

Scotty

p.s.Yikes.. A triple post. Sorry just catching up & slipped up.

Still think this entire comparison to pedals that cost seven times as much is pretty ridiculous. In fact you can probably get an entire CSW, CSPv2, TH8, and TH8 as hand brake and still be under the cost of the CST pedals.

Mayaman
Still think this entire comparison to pedals that cost seven times as much is pretty ridiculous. In fact you can probably get an entire CSW, CSPv2, TH8, and TH8 as hand brake and still be under the cost of the CST pedals.

So would you say the CSP is just as good as a set of CST's? I mean will a person get just as much feel/realism from both?

Mayaman

Have you bothered to look at what CSTs cost before making that statement?

CST 3B with floor brackets are $698.......that's the top pedal they have available on their site.

So would you say the CSP is just as good as a set of CST's? I mean will a person get just as much feel/realism from both?

That's pretty much irrelevant. Like I said above, they aren't even in the same league as far as cost. Why even try to compare them? Would you say, gee the CST pedals sure are great but could you please charge $300 for them? It's just as dumb a comparison really.

The part I find funny is that CST pedals have existed for a while. Never before we're the original CSPs not good enough compared to the CSTs. Now we have the CSPv2 and they're all of a sudden not good enough???

Listen, I understand what some of you are trying to say. But this is more of an instance of INTERNET than anything else. For months people have clamored for CSPv2, they've known that they would be an evolution, not a revolution. Now they're announced, and people are upset they're not matching up to pedals costing SEVEN TIMES AS MUCH? Are you guys for real?

I've used the original CSP for two years. I switched to G27 pedal because of perfect pedal. I can't wait to compare the new CSPv2 brake against my Perfect Pedal brake.

Edit. Hawk, just checked. The CST F1 pedals in the review I saw are indeed 1300 dollars.

Last edited:
@Mayaman. I am not trying to compare the two. I just want some insight as to will I get just as much satisfaction from one or the other. I have the T500 pedals now so anything will be an improvement.

Well if you play only PC games and have the money it's up to you. I haven't tried either so I can't make a judgement. My point in this thread is the what I feel is unfair scrutiny of products in obvious different segments.

I will say the CSPv2 clutch looks and more than likely feels more real than any other clutch before.

ARC team makes a real clutch as well or maybe it's frex but just the clutch costs as much as the CSPs themselves.

I can't give you the answer you're looking for. CSTs are PC only I believe.

Edit,I just saw that the CST F1 I saw in another forum were actually 1300 dollars. Here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1483-CST-F1-3-Pedal-Set-Review

Those are SWEET, but again the expense. I don't see those for sale anywhere.

Last edited:
The point is CSPV2 are simply not impressive enough to make me want to sell my V1's and replace them, if they just sold us an upgrade kit I'd be interested in that, but it's too much hassle for such minimal upgrades.

Fair enough and that is a more logical reason than comparing to more expensive equipment. But that isn't the point trying to be made by many here.

Selling my V1s is actually easier for me than taking them apart though :P. I can mod almost anything but could never figure out the CSP.

I'd say for an evolutionary product I like the upgrades. Just have to see how they perform in real life.

Mayaman
. I can mod almost anything but could never figure out the CSP.

WTF: My jaw just hit the floor! After quietly following your build thread I am left dumbfounded ;)

I agree totally with the INTERNET comment. People like to piss&moan( not in any way aimed at anyone here, just as a species.)

I think what is getting lost in Mr. @Latte post is...
He is/was expecting an entirely new design. Something that adds modular design like the csre line, but with the bullet proof build of the csp. Not that he is dissapointed in them as a product, but, and I believe he clearly stated, Thomas is going after the FREX/ECCI market with the clubsport wheel why is he not with the pedals. But I will also agree with your point about never hearing how the original pedal set was never frowned upon when comparing to the ultra high end stuff. As it stands now, the pedals are the "weak" link in the clubsport line. And I am using weak for conversation sake, I do not believe there is anything wrong with either version.

You guys are pulling me back out of my quiet corner again ;) sometimes the voyeur participates too.

I think this thread needs the year + old video of the "new" clutch being installed.
To end I will humbly admit I was wrong on many occasions about the prototype V2 not being proto types,but only that modders work.

Scuttles off into my cave again

I am amazed some just don't get what I'm saying or see that the updates to a 3year old pedal set could have been greater.

Thomas has as I have already commented brought a nice update and still within an affordable and no doubt good value price point. Their is no doubt these could well be the best pedals in the market for under 300-400.

The CSW is a major step forward over the Porsche Chassis wheels. Mr Latte questions "If" these are a comparable match, are they a similar major step forward? The wheel price points since the original wheels will have approx doubled yet some of you do not seem to grasp the simple matter that the pedals have not had the same attention or moved forward that much.

Nobody is saying the V2 should cost more at all but I personally feel people buying a CSW will want more than what the V2 offers. Have put my case across that I see a market for a 400-500 pedal set that is like the wheel approx double the price of the original but again a major upgrade to bring the pedals inline with the wheel.

Something like the CST F1 (only on Australia distributor website) the top model which yes costs approx £700 depending on options of course is likely one of the best pedals on the market. They are 12bit offering upto 4096 steps not 1024 like the Clubsports and using Leo-bodner electronics. Videos can be found as can reviews...

Read one guys review on Virtual R if you want and how these pedals made that reviewer shave off 2 seconds in his lap times. Now it is silly to expect the V2 to match these but it is NOT silly to expect a buyer of the CSW to consider something like them or indeed want a pedal set to that calibre.

Last edited:
The CSP V2 will fit perfectly to your CSW. You will miss nothing.

Please consider that the combination of a vibration motor, degressive clutch, magnetic hall sensors, adjustable load cell and the hydraulic brake you will hardly find on any competitor product on the market, no matter what they cost.

Don't be scared by the low price ;)

I think calling it a hydraulic brake is misleading. Hydraulic brakes on sim racing pedals refers to something much more advanced than what is on the CSP V2.

I hope the Quality control on the version 2 is better then version 1. I own 2 sets of version 1. The first set has been relatively free of problems. A few basic tuneups and they are fine. The second set has been nothing but problems right from the get go. If it wasn't such a hassle dealing with Fanatecs CS I would have sent them back.

Don't get me wrong, I like the CSP, if version 2 works out I will look at them. Can they be inverted like version 1's?

The CSP V2 will fit perfectly to your CSW. You will miss nothing.

Please consider that the combination of a vibration motor, degressive clutch, magnetic hall sensors, adjustable load cell and the hydraulic brake you will hardly find on any competitor product on the market, no matter what they cost.

Don't be scared by the low price ;)

Well the proof lies in the testing Thomas and I'm sure in time these will be compared to other pedals. You always offer great spec to price. I do not think these are quite "The Real Deal" or will be much competition to the higher end of the market and thats the direction your moving towards with the CSW. For those that are willing to spend such I think they might want alternatives just like many bypassed your shifters.

More competitors are coming to the market as well so it will be interesting.

The way I see it, with the wheel costing quite a lot already (you'll need the rim too) if there would not be proper pedal set for it in this current price range (200-300) and instead the pedals costing added 400-600 it just might be too much when you're looking after volume. Sure enough, there is now still room to make that leap and make another even higher end pedal set, but it needs to be "separate" set that the people loaded with money can spend on if they choose. I just can't see any point having say a 500€/$ pedal set as the only option for the CSW (or optionally a 3 year old V1).

Updating the CSP's they are now "new" with new features etc. and like that fit nicely with a new wheel.

Wouldn't be suprized to see a higher end pedals from Fanatec, but the volumes must be catered first.

It is quite clear to me that Fanatec's new version 2 is aimed at the mid level racers. For those that have access to the iRacing forums they will see many threads on various pedal sets. This revolution started over a year ago. There have been some very smart individuals coming out with very good products.

Derek Speare is coming out with a very good set of pedals. I can't say much more then that but Derek will comment on them here when he is ready. I believe they are at the beta testing stage now.

So the reason we are seeing Fanatecs new pedal set with perhaps specs not up to what some think they should be. Fanatec has jumped on the gravy train at a perfect time. People see that hydraulics and various other pedal sets are coming to market.

Now people need to decide, are you just a causal console gamer? if you answered yes then the CSP version 2 are aimed at you. Or are you a serious iRacer that is out for a shot of the money? Then put in an order from Todd and wait 6 or 7 months and get $800-$1000 ready. I see some people with a pile of money spending a boatload of cash on Sim racing and they are causal gamers, does that make sense? Of course not, but there is nothing wrong with that. If you got the cash go for it.

For me, I am a serious PC iRacer. I am certainly not the fastest although I have put up a few top 5's and improving all the time. I am happy at the moment with my CSP ver 1. Will I buy ver 2, probably not, at least not now.
I would love a set of CST pedals from Todd, however he told me the demand for his stuff is causing these serious wait times. Am I good enough for a set of his pedals, probably not :) If I come into a time where $1000 or so of free cash comes up perhaps I will.

BTW if you are slow with CSP ver 1 you will not be faster with ver 2 and probably not even faster with a set of CST's. Just like a carpenter, he will do fine work with old tools, if he has experience he will do slightly better with better tools. My point is you have to know how to race before you will see the benefit of better pedals.

I hope the Quality control on the version 2 is better then version 1. I own 2 sets of version 1. The first set has been relatively free of problems. A few basic tuneups and they are fine. The second set has been nothing but problems right from the get go. If it wasn't such a hassle dealing with Fanatecs CS I would have sent them back.

/signed

That's what I mean Darren, you won't buy a set of CSP V2, but I bet you would spend 100 dollars on an upgrade kit. I really don't think Thomas understands what a huge market he's missing of people that already have the CSP's.

Don't worry about any mod kits for version 2, there will be individuals with kits at market in probably less then 6 months.

What better way to proove the worth of the V2 than earing Darin in the ISR show saying that he won the Daytona race with a set of beta V2s? knowing his history with Fanatec?
And Im being the devils advocate here... but cmon the pedals werent even released yet so give them a break

^^^bingo

Wanted to say when I receive these I'll be putting them up against my CSP V1, my fully modded G27 with Perfect Pedal, modded clutch, and gas, and a Standard set of G27 pedals which are stock.

My perfect pedal set is the ones you see in my pics. I have to put this out there. The V2s are going to have to blow me away because I LOVE LOVE LOVE my G27 pedals with the mods and Perfect Pedal.

We'll see.

Last edited:
^^^bingo

Wanted to say when I receive these I'll be putting them up against my CSP V1, my fully modded G27 with Perfect Pedal, modded clutch, and gas, and a Standard set of G27 pedals which are stock.

My perfect pedal set is the ones you see in my pics. I have to put this out there. The V2s are going to have to blow me away because I LOVE LOVE LOVE my G27 pedals with the mods and Perfect Pedal.

We'll see.

How much money do you have, total, in your G27's ?

Almost $500 easily. this includes buying another set as a test bed. Yes sounds dumb, but once I got the Perfect Pedal and its tuning kit, I just kept tweaking and modding. I currently have on order the SimWorx pedal extensions. So another $240

At one point I'll get the CST F1s from the link I provided. $1300 but I'm really curious about them.

Last edited:
I think calling it a hydraulic brake is misleading. Hydraulic brakes on sim racing pedals refers to something much more advanced than what is on the CSP V2.

It will be interesting to see when and how much Derek Speares charges for his upcoming pedals. These are to be hydraulic as you may know whats impressive is they too will be 12 bit precision offering much greater resolution.

I'm puzzled but shocked why Fanatec has opted to stick with 10 bit as going with 12 has to be an improvement.

Not wanting to start anything but going to be curious to see what the market has to offer and just indeed how good these V2 turn out to be.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see when and how much Derek Speares charges for his upcoming pedals. These are to be hydraulic as you may know whats impressive is they too will be 12 bit precision offering much greater resolution.

I'm puzzled but shocked why Fanatec has opted to stick with 10 bit as going with 12 has to be an improvement.

Not wanting to start anything but going to be curious to see what the market has to offer and just indeed how good these V2 turn out to be.

In the real world do you think 12bit is going to be absolutely noticeable ? Because marketing wise it's apparently a home run, doesn't mean it's a home run performance wise. I do agree it's better but skeptical that it's meaningfully better.

Scotty

have you guys seen this video? it's kinda old but it shows how the v2 were improved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYszxngjRc&feature=player_embedded

I think most of this thread's frequenters are probably already familiar with this.

For more information see post #26 on down in this related thread Where did the clubsports go?:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=242208&highlight=club+sport+pedal&page=2

Thomas has also stated that "Our Japanese friend Teki Ei-Ichi developed a new mechanism for the clutch for us." on the official Fanatec CSP V.2 intro page at: http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8358

Last edited:

His upcoming pedals are going to be a lot more then cst's, he is using true hydraulic pedal system which probably cost more then the a set of csp's

Back