Cobra Coupe Shootout - Lex wins 24 Hours of Spa - Pimiki Crowned Triple Champ !!!Finished 

I would like to share this picture of Sick that I made. Of course there's a slight chance that @Sick Cylinder doesen't look anything like this since, I've never seen him, but I've heard is voice a few times and I'm pretty sure that this is dead on! And if I don't race with you guys next Sunday, this might be the reason! :bowdown:;)
sick.jpg

Good races today! I liked them despite DESPISING this track :lol:. Though, I had an issue. For some reason, my Internet was being painfully slow today. No idea why. Anyway, this caused lag and you know how lag works in Gran Turismo... cars are all over the place and smoke is everywhere! Seriously.

In the first race at the beginning it was like that, so I'm sorry if I hit somebody at the start. I managed to stay away for a while which was good, because I wouldn't hit anyone that way. The El Camino felt very wrong for this track! It just didn't really match it well, especially with only 2 gears.

Second race went very well for me. I managed to stay away from the others the whole race, which helped a lot with the lag. I gotta admit, I really loved the Lancer in this track. It just fits it very well. I guess because this track is rally-ish. It just fits it perfectly! The jumps, the tight turns and some really long twisty roads. I enjoyed the 2nd race the most because of that.

The Cobra was also fine, though it hates jumps as some people figured out. I was fine during qualifying and the first lap, but for some reason I spun right upon landing after a big jump on the second lap! I guess I might have steered a bit more before jumping? Anyway, the lag hurt me a little during this race. I was mostly alone, but when Lex overtook me and I got close to his I found his car completely sideways in front of me with lots of smoke! It was after exiting a turn that was followed by a long straight (which is basically what this whole track is :P). I had to lift off the throttle for a bit until that disappeared and went to the normal position, but that tiny lift off cost me 2 seconds! It's because I lost speed right after exiting and the full-thorttle section was long. Though, I'm not using this as an excuse or anything, I messed up myself which caused Lex to overtake me in the first lap and I didn't drive that well in the 2nd lap. Lex is always consistent which is very important in racing, which is why he's mostly at the top. I need to improve my consistency haha.

Anyway it was pretty fun today and welcome to the new racers! See you all next week.

I was right behind you when you jump-crashed on the second lap! In fact, I crashed almost exactly at the same time and the same spot :P

The racing was awesome! Too bad I had to go away during the El Camino race, hopefully there'll be no distractions next week.

Cobra_Sierra.jpg

I would like to share this picture of Sick that I made. Of course there's a slight chance that @Sick Cylinder doesen't look anything like this since, I've never seen him, but I've heard is voice a few times and I'm pretty sure that this is dead on! And if I don't race with you guys next Sunday, this might be the reason! :bowdown:;)View attachment 359529

Great picture DVart and it bears an uncanny resemblance to IfAndOr!

To get it more like Sick, recede the hair so the top is bald, make the hair short and grey with a full white beard! - like Santa after a trim for his summer holiday!

Great race picture Eran

Great pictures IfAndOr! How come in the picture above, the middle car is red with white stripes, but the other red car has black stripes? (the real Willment Cobra Coupe had white stripes).
Well I noticed that the colour you chose - Bolero Red - when applied to the car turns the stripes black. Some other shades of red, including the one GKgamer used, keep the stripes white. So in effect while being a slightly different shade to the others, GK's car has the correct stripes.

It works the same with the blues and greens. I think it's usually the slightly darker shades that lighten the stripes and visa versa.

Last edited:
Well I noticed that the colour you chose - Bolero Red - when applied to the car turns the stripes black. Some other shades of red, including the one GKgamer used, keep the stripes white. So in effect while being a slightly different shade to the others, GK's car has the correct stripes.

It works the same with the blues and greens. I think it's usually the slightly darker shades that lighten the stripes and visa versa.

OK- we need to find out @gkgamer shade of red and get the Willment cars that colour as his car is much more realistic!

attachment.php

Above the Willment Cobra Coupe pictured at Goodwood in 2004. Main visual differences from the Shelby Coupe are lowered roofline, single black sidepipes (instead of double white ones) and triple white Willment stripes (two thin and one thick stripe). Vertically mounted rear window was fitted when the car was restored in the 1970's - presumably to save money.

The AC A98 Cobra Coupe is registered and driven on the road in Scotland - here shown leaving the Fennel restaurant - famous for it's V8 car meetings!

Last edited:

OK- we need to find out @gkgamer shade of red and get the Willment cars that colour as his car is much more realistic!

attachment.php

Above the Willment Cobra Coupe pictured at Goodwood in 2004. Main visual differences from the Shelby Coupe are lowered roofline, single black sidepipes (instead of double white ones) and triple white Willment stripes (two thin and one thick stripe). Vertically mounted rear window was fitted when the car was restored in the 1970's - presumably to save money.

The AC A98 Cobra Coupe is registered and driven on the road in Scotland - here shown leaving the Fennel restaurant - famous for it's V8 car meetings!

Yes guys , sorry I forgot I fiddled a bit with the color to find a rather light shade of red that would keep the stripes white. I finally chose the "tartan red" paint chip that is available on the Mini Marcos GT.
Great races yesterday, and smooth, almost flawless network through the races made it very enjoyable except for the blown engine curse @nonka suffered. Apologies to everyone for leaving early in the bonus race, but I had to leave after I pushed and sent my team leader spinning. The think is I did quite the same move on Patrick in the first cobra race. I will put some more practice on the Williment Cobra before next round, sorry for being a moving hazard but it was way too optimistic from me to hope to tame the snake running my first kilometers on the car during the race since I missed Q.
cheers everyone

I finally chose the "tartan red" paint chip that is available on the Mini Marcos GT.
There you go @Sick Cylinder, "Tartan" red it is. And a nice cheap car to go with it.
Team Willment, get your spray guns at the ready.

Now if we had all got a Mini Marcos GT, that would have made a good bonus race. :)
(I'm going to get one - just in case ;))

Should we paint the Trucks in "Tartan Red", too, or leave them "Bolero"?

Yes - All Drivers in the Willment Team please paint your Trucks and Cobra Coupe's Tartan Red from the Marcos Mini Marcos. I will amend the page 1 thread details accordingly. Congratulations and thanks to @gkgamer for finding this paint. Incidentally Tartan Red is also a great colour for other classic cars such as Ferrari's and Mustangs and is also great for brake calipers - so a very useful find.

Regarding the Marcos Mini Marcos - it raced at Le Mans and I have been trying to develop a series which would include it - possibly a multi-class event.

I repainted my (unused) Willment vehicles to test the Tartan Red paint:

Syracuse.jpg

^ There's that beloved PD logic again right there!

Well we could make three races á 15 min. ;)

Qualifying - Race #1 then change to reverse grid, Race #2 and #3. Add some weather and leave time progression running then there would be a possibillity of a little rain now and then, it's Silverstone after all, and maybe we could find ourselves driving in the sunset at Race #3. Maybe? Sounds romantic, no? :D

^ There's that beloved PD logic again right there!

Well we could make three races á 15 min. ;)

Qualifying - Race #1 then change to reverse grid, Race #2 and #3. Add some weather and leave time progression running then there would be a possibillity of a little rain now and then, it's Silverstone after all, and maybe we could find ourselves driving in the sunset at Race #3. Maybe? Sounds romantic, no? :D
That sounds very cool honestly. The rally race is only 15 minutes and the trucks race is canceled. We have more than enough time for that!

@Sick Cylinder
45min. endurance is not settable.
only 40 or 50.

Thanks Lex - if we are running on schedule the Cobra Coupe race will be 50 minutes, but if we are running behind schedule I will set it at 40 minutes. I will alter the thread on page one from 45 minutes to 50 minutes.

Regarding the length of races - when we did the poll a couple of months back there were some requests to try endurance races so I modified this series to fit in three endurance rounds for the Cobra Coupe's. I would like to see how successful and popular those are and review the format at the end of this series.

Thanks Lex - if we are running on schedule the Cobra Coupe race will be 50 minutes, but if we are running behind schedule I will set it at 40 minutes. I will alter the thread on page one from 45 minutes to 50 minutes.

Regarding the length of races - when we did the poll a couple of months back there were some requests to try endurance races so I modified this series to fit in three endurance rounds for the Cobra Coupe's. I would like to see how successful and popular those are and review the format at the end of this series.

What fuel consumption and tyre wear settings will be used at the endurance?

Great pictures again @LexLathor. I do like your race start to checkered flag trademark sequences.

The trucks looked good at the beginning of the race. The pictures show how big (wide) they are.

The second Cobra shot - that's me pointing in the wrong direction! The slightest of contact saw me put a wheel on the grass. I should have eased off the throttle, but I didn't, and hello opposite barrier. I think the majority managed to avoid contact but sorry if I took anyone out or had a penalty.*
I spent the rest of the race catching up and didn't do to bad after I'd passed a few others having off road excursions.

*On that point @Sick Cylinder, how about dropping the penalty system down to low or even turn it off. It's a bit unpredictable and unfair at times. There's been a couple of times I've come around a corner and driven straight into a car that had spun. I normally get a collision penalty and the other car doesn't. And then it gives me a shortcut penalty because I've ended up on the grass! I'm sure it must have happened to others.
There's also the problem with lagging, you can sometimes get a penalty for hitting a car that can "jump" in your way.

Most of us have raced together long enough to know we are clean and fair drivers. We don't take shortcuts and any contact should be unintentional.
The damage system should be enough of a deterrent to avoid contact.
Thoughts anyone?

... how about dropping the penalty system down to low or even turn it off. It's a bit unpredictable and unfair at times. There's been a couple of times I've come around a corner and driven straight into a car that had spun. I normally get a collision penalty and the other car doesn't. And then it gives me a shortcut penalty because I've ended up on the grass! I'm sure it must have happened to others.
There's also the problem with lagging, you can sometimes get a penalty for hitting a car that can "jump" in your way.

Most of us have raced together long enough to know we are clean and fair drivers. We don't take shortcuts and any contact should be unintentional.
Thoughts anyone?
I'm with you there. I think the ghosting just tempts us to drive right through others, instead of trying to avoid any contact.

Great pictures again @LexLathor. I do like your race start to checkered flag trademark sequences.

The trucks looked good at the beginning of the race. The pictures show how big (wide) they are.

The second Cobra shot - that's me pointing in the wrong direction! The slightest of contact saw me put a wheel on the grass. I should have eased off the throttle, but I didn't, and hello opposite barrier. I think the majority managed to avoid contact but sorry if I took anyone out or had a penalty.*
I spent the rest of the race catching up and didn't do to bad after I'd passed a few others having off road excursions.

*On that point @Sick Cylinder, how about dropping the penalty system down to low or even turn it off. It's a bit unpredictable and unfair at times. There's been a couple of times I've come around a corner and driven straight into a car that had spun. I normally get a collision penalty and the other car doesn't. And then it gives me a shortcut penalty because I've ended up on the grass! I'm sure it must have happened to others.

Thoughts anyone?

I will switch the penalty system to weak - it was on strong - I got a 5 second penalty which dropped me from 7th to 14th in the Cobra Coupe race when it was someone else that rammed me! I also got a 15 second penalty for hitting Lex when his car was blocking the track after a jump - I didn't know penalties could go as high as 15 seconds!

Regarding tyre wear, it will be on fast. I've decided to reduce the pit stops to 1 - the tyres were hardly worn after 2 laps of Zahara so should be fine for 25 minutes each.

Regarding weather and time changes, we have tried weather changes in the past and it appeared to reduce the quality of the racing by increasing the size of gaps between cars. I am interested in time changes, but I am not convinced that the PS3 can cope with time changes and full rooms at the same time. When we tried time change at Daytona Road, with a nearly full room, we had a lot of graphical problems - missing lamp posts, missing track etc. I expect these problems will be solved when GT7 comes out on PS4.

These problems are solved already. Those missing objects and track surfaces don't happen anymore and I've been in plenty of full rooms with pooring rain and at night around the Nordschleife. OK, I don't know about Silverstone International since it's not used that much online I think. But I don't believe there would be issues because of weather/time like these Daytona glitches.

Edit: Oh and 50% weather means that there will be, if any at all, only slight rain with the track wetness not increasing dramatically.

I'm with you there. I think the ghosting just tempts us to drive right through others, instead of trying to avoid any contact.
Yes, that as well. And when they return to solid just before you drive through them... Bang. :)

Some bad weather on the rally stage would be good. Although since it's a time trial event, the random factor might make it unfair.

Last edited:
Back