Codemasters Reveals Off-Road Racer ONRUSH

Right? I'm glad Codemasters is taking an unorthodox approach with this title. That's what I love about Arcade racing games, you get to push the boundaries more than you do in sim racers and OnRush looks like it could be a lot of fun. Plus you have got two experienced studios working together on this project which reassures you that they can pull this crazy concept off.

Regarding online, I hope Codies throw in some party modes for added variety. 👍
Codies also produced FUEL for Asobo which was a similar type of game as this, just a different back-story/setting.

As to the general level of wishing for another DRIVECLUB - that game took ten years to get out. That's an expensive thing to gamble on for Code Masters, not so much for Sony and as it needed to sell a lot to compensate for that, which it didn't; so this isn't too big a surprise for me.

Why do they put those ugly dune buggies . It looks like Burnout with some pieces of Motorstorm which is good but i can't stand those types of vehicles .

This will be a nice break for me from more serious games. Driveclub became a serious game for me as well and it's now a break for me from other games. I was really really hoping that they created a spiritual successor to Driveclub and it hurts that they didn't because Driveclub is my most favourite game all time. Having played only Motorstorm 1, I'm happy to try something new with this game however.

Not to mention, after how much I enjoyed Driveclub (my favourite PS4 game and racing game all time), I have complete faith in "evolution studios" to create a fun, fast paced racer that looks brilliant.

Ahhh. I'm happy to see another arcade racer made for joy and laughter. This one looks to be super fun, and it's made by the same people who made Motorstorm right? Count me in! :D

Sim racing is becoming like a norm in the racing genre Nothing wrong with that, just need a break from it.

On one hand I really like that they have return to off-road madness, are doing crazy arcade game and if there will be photo mode... :D:tup: But on the other hand Driveclub was jaw-dropping and it's a shame that we won't be having fun with real cars and incredible photo mode developed by Evo Team :( One thing for sure - bring it on next year and we will see what they have created, I love off-road games :cheers:

O...on the other hand Driveclub was jaw-dropping and it's a shame that we won't be having fun with real cars and incredible photo mode developed by Evo Team :(
Give 'em another six or so years and we may well have a DC style game, even an off-road one to match both tastes - this is only eighteen months after Sony shut them down though, so it would be a miracle if they could get that level of yumminess ready in just thirty months. Patience my friend :)

The arcade element is completely fine but this seems some kind of FlatOut and with those huge jumps (dam) I only think :ouch:

If they kept the arcade style handling but opted for a more natural approach in jumps, added adjustable real life vehicles and the powerup system of Blur I would be excited.

I'll follow its progress maybe some actual gameplay can change my mind.

The arcade element is completely fine but this seems some kind of FlatOut and with those huge jumps (dam) I only think :ouch:

If they kept the arcade style handling but opted for a more natural approach in jumps, added adjustable real life vehicles and the powerup system of Blur I would be excited.

I'll follow its progress maybe some actual gameplay can change my mind.
The jumps and such are part of a power-up you feed with ramming, slamming, contact, tricks and stunts, so they sort of fit into that kind of game. Good physics take time too and I suspect we'll likely get a more serious off-road, possibly open world looker sometime in the future.

As you say though, the game play usually is a good indication of what it'll be like with all these aspects together. I see Milestone are following 'em.

This GIF looks actually pretty cool

It really depends on the gameplay for me. A game of this type can look good in these sizzle reels but we've got to believe in Evolution/Codies ability right now.

A similar type of game was Pure, developed by Black Rock Studios. I remember seeing trailers and the like, not caring at all about the game but the gameplay was unbelievable. Here's hoping ONRUSH nails it in that department.

I wasn't head over heels for Motorstorm, I'll be hoping for a more responsive bonkers title this time around.

There's also this point that I think is really good, in my eyes:

It's a considerable risk for Codies to take considering that again, Motorstorm fans are vocal, but by the end of Apocalypse's life span, which I admittedly played a lot of online and enjoyed, are they going to come out?

Motorstorm failed in the end not because the games were bad or anything. It failed because Sony completely mishandled the franchise.

1. After 2 very sucessful entries they decided to make a PS2 and PSP game (in 2009). It predictably bombed.

2. They delayed Apocalypse last minute because of the earthquake in Japan, but there were copies in stores already being sold, reviews were out, but they couldn't market the game. By the time it came out 2 months later nobody was talking about it. The game bombed.

3. They tasked them with making a PSN game (RC), which was actually pretty good. I'm not too sure how the game did sales-wise, but it was a $10 game, so the gross income wouldn't have been high anyway.

At that point Motorstorm was no longer a big name, only remembered by the people who got the PS3 fairly early into its life cycle.

This GIF looks actually pretty cool

Yeah, that's the'Rush' boost ability that you build up with tricks etc. I hope we have driver's view because that's going to look stupendous in first person.

My guess is that this game has in part been lifted from the previous off-road title they were working on before DC - it would explain a few things.

Uhh... Gravel
That was my first thought for the first few seconds. It looks different though.
I'm not saying no to this game, as it has some motorstorm vibe in it (But Gravel is coming soon). I was hoping for an simcade racing game like Driveclub. :(

What do you think @torque99 @doblocruiser
Well, we are surely due another proper road racing title from milestone. Hopefully they get on to it with their new engine.
I wouldn't be surprised after this flurry it will go back to being a wasteland. Racing games, especially arcade games like we saw in the past, simply aren't profitable and indie teams can't pick up the slack.
It might not help them by the fact they're all coming out so close to each other. It's our duty to ensure it's worth their while, so long as the product is good.

I have been a Motorstorm fan for years. To me, one of the best gaming franchises ever. Pure fun! When I 1st watched the trailer, all I could see was a possible Motorstorm ripoff. However, when I saw (on PS4 Blog pages) that this was being made by the same crew that was canned by Sony (by shutting Evolution) I know it isnt a ripoff....but a new IP made by the same people. This may really be awesome....and now my most anticipated title in 2018. This may not be for the serious racer.....but probably for the serious gamer. Woohoo!!
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Brendan Rorrison (@Brend) on October 30th, 2017 in the Gaming category.

I have been a Motorstorm fan for years. To me, one of the best gaming franchises ever. Pure fun! When I 1st watched the trailer, all I could see was a possible Motorstorm ripoff. However, when I saw (on PS4 Blog pages) that this was being made by the same crew that was canned by Sony (by shutting Evolution) I know it isnt a ripoff....but a new IP made by the same people. This may really be awesome....and now my most anticipated title in 2018. This may not be for the serious racer.....but probably for the serious gamer. Woohoo!!

In the end, it all boils down to how much fun this is online. I'm a huge Motorstorm fan (less on Apocalypse) and we haven't had a decent PS4 arcade racer since. Hope it's not 200 mph the whole time as I love to look back and see where the other racers are. Importantly, it's something new in the genre, so excited, but will need to see more gameplay than shown in the trailer.

Why do they put those ugly dune buggies . It looks like Burnout with some pieces of Motorstorm which is good but i can't stand those types of vehicles .
You mean like these? ;)

DRIVECLUB™_20150401110702.jpg
DRIVECLUB™_20150629091528.jpg
DRIVECLUB™_20150623105337.jpg

Eurogamer:How the devs behind Driveclub plan to bring the arcade racer back to life

"There's no concept of position or startline or finishing position as such," explains Rustchynsky. "It's all about scoring points. So, if you wreck it doesn't matter - it's an opportunity to be put back in the pack, in the thick of it, to fight to score more points. If you fall behind, we put you back in the pack. If you race ahead, we put you back in the action. It's essentially all 24 vehicles on one track, racing around our version of off-road heaven.

"We feel like we're redefining many rules of racing. Racing's very much a part of it - going fast, flying around corners, going over massive jumps, that's all there, but we're removing a lot of the frustrations. We've worked with racing games a long, long time, and as much as we love the genre there are so many kind of niggles that we want to address. Those rage inducing moments when everyone crashes out on the first corner. The spreading of the pack. We know racing is most fun when you're side by side, bumping into one another, and we wanted to double down on that. How do we get to have that all the time?"

So a "racing" game not about racing it self? Just why? :banghead:

A game about just driving fast and mixing it up with other cars instead of trying for 1st place is nothing new. That's what Out Run and Out Run 2 are.

Not entirely sure I am a fan of the lack of grid positioning, I really need to see some gameplay footage first to make a better judgement though. I guess the closest thing I've experienced to style taking priority over winning is the Online XP Championship found in Forza Horizon 2 & 3, but a better finishing position still goes a long way towards winning the playlist.

Information dump on the Codies Blog

Official release date: 5th June 2018

Deluxe edition (Xbox items to be announced at a later date)

Also...
  • Pre-ordering (via Playstation for now) grants access to an early access Beta in May
  • Photomode confirmed with various camera setting options
  • Speaking of which, all the photos featured in the blog have been taken in-game

Not sure why people expected a spiritual successor to Driveclub. The publisher is the boss not the developer. They were forced to do this game. Sony gave them creative freedom to make what they wanted and thus Driveclub came to be. The publisher of this game absolutely sucks and frankly I find it embarrassing to be a publisher of only racing games and yet none of your racing games are hits and get out sold by exlcusive racers on every platform. At the very least they could at least give us clones of other hit racing franchises like Gran Turismo, nfs ext... But noooo they don't like money.

Back