College Football : 2013-14

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 521 comments
The Texas A&M at Missouri game is a game the Aggies can win. My confidence, however, is very shaky that TAMU will actually pull it off. It is going to be a good match regardless.
No one has any faith in the Aggies, so it's going to be even sweeter when we prove them wrong!

Holy @$&?'!!!&@$!!!!!

That was CLOSE. Huge sigh of relief as the buckeyes barely hang on 42-41, with Michigan just missing the game winning 2pt conversion. Complete with an epic brawl and a down to the wire contest, this was everything "The Game" is supposed to be.

Sloopy hangs on!!!!!!

Bama goes down on what will now be called a questionable decision. Tied 28 with 1 second left, Tide go for a 57 yd fg, it's short, Chris Davis runs back missed FG for a TD.

Final score: #4 Auburn 34 #1 Alabama 28.

I lost my voice and nearly made myself deaf laughing so hard. Not a 'tide fan at all. Fitting to see their entire season of hard work erased in a single second.

kjb
That was a bad decision. I guess Saban didn't want to go OT.
Now the question is who goes to the BCS. Alabama is out now (barring a meltdown in all 3 championship games), Ohio State edges closer but they need to have a statement victory or else they are out. Auburn needs a win vs. Missouri or SC and FSU needs to beat Duke AND not have any news come out about Winston.

DOWN GOES ALABAMA!

You got to be freaking kidding me! I did not see a good deal of this game, but I kept seeing that wicked long field goal Alabama tried to cash in on. Auburn made the Crimson Tide look like fools- even including Lee Corso, who picked 'Bama. Three words were all I could say: "Oh. My. God." It was a 34-28 victory for Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Florida State and Ohio State will likely move up the ladder after both won. And with Alabama losing and not going to the SEC Championship game, it almost feels like Alabama got up to all this power and all this hype... and have nothing to show for it by not making it to the SEC Championship game. As a pro football analogy, this is like when the New England Patriots were one win away from a perfect season until they lost to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII. It's just that feeling of doing amazing but having nothing to show for it in the final game.

Now some random musings...

* Speaking of Ohio State, let's face it- Ohio State's only remaining opposition after the Wisconsin game was at the Wolverines. "That school up north" put up a major fight- figuratively and literally. Congrats to Ohio State... uh, THE Ohio State University on a job well done. Up next for the Buckeyes... their love affair with the state of Michigan isn't over yet- they're going to have some Michigan State Spartan problems next weekend in the B1G Championship Game.

* What about two other best friends? Duke downed North Carolina 27-25 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. So while CAM's ECU Pirates got smoked, his other favorite school takes down a hated rival.

* The 2013 Bayou Classic saw Southern spank Grambling State 40-17. You have to feel for Grambling State with all they've been through.

* (off-topic) Texas A&M at Missouri is going on as of the initial time of this post. I didn't know that Johnny Manziel (Johnny Football) was from Kerrville, TX. I've been to Kerrville before. Beautiful small city in the Texas Hill Country. I know Kerrville on the college front for the NCAA Division 3 non-football school, Schreiner University.

Congratulations to all other winners up to and beyond the time of this original post.

Only 4 teams can make the BCS game now
Auburn, Florida State, Ohio State, Missouri/Alabama.

Alabama can only make it if Missouri loses to Texas A&M.

Would've been nice to see Bama go for a 3peat. Oh well. That was a hell of a game. Amari Cooper is a beast. Why can't Nick Saban recruit any kickers worth a damn?

Missouri will play Auburn in the SEC Title game following their 28-21 victory over Manziel and Texas A&M. I have to imagine that that is a killer blow to BCS hopes for Alabama.

"War Eagle fly down the field, ever to conquer, never to yield. War Eagle fearless and true. Fight on you orange and blue..."

Best game of the year. The atmosphere was insane in Auburn. I honestly think if Auburn wins the SEC championship they get the nod to the BCS championship because of the schedule strength gap between Auburn and OSU, but I'm very biased in saying that

My oh my , oh my. What a dramatic turn of events this past weekend in College Football. Told 'ya it was gonna get good.

1st - Congrats to the Ohio State Buckeyes. It wasn't the prettiest, but it sure as hell was exciting.

2nd - Congrats to Brady Hoke and his Michigan Wolverines (I can say that now, rivalry week is over) on such a fine performance. Coach Hoke did a superb job in prepping his boys for this bitter hard fought rivalry. Coach Hoke, I agree with you whole heartedly about going for the 2 pt. conversion at the end of the game. It was a gutsy as hell call, but it could have very well worked in your favor had you succeeded. You had the Bucks on the ropes, you could have been up by 1 pt., OSU would have had only had 31 seconds to play with and with no time outs remaining. It very , very well could have went the other way. Keep your heads up Michigan, you've nothing to be ashamed of.

3rd - Ashamed ... I'm very ashamed of Marcus Halls obscene gesture towards the Michigan crowd, after he was tossed out. Grow up Marcus, you've lost some points with me because of your shenanigans. Rivalry games are hard fought and bittersweet, fun and games are fun and games, but there is no room for this kind of thing at this level. I hope Coach Meyer has a field day on your ass when you get back to Columbus.

4th - Congrats Auburn ..... WOOOOOOT !!!

So, here's how I see the top 5 rankings falling this week ..... just my opinion.
1. FSU
2. Ohio State
3. Auburn
4. Alabama
5. Mizzou

1&2 , just for the sake of running the table. Next weeks rankings will be the big ones, the whole enchilada.
Pending on how well teams play in their respectful divisional playoff game, there could be a huge shuffling taking place here. Just have to wait and see.

Congrats to this weeks winners and to those who get to advance into Divisional Playoff games. We are still not done here, far from it. Things are still going to get interesting.

Good luck to your team(s) this coming weekend (if you are in the running).

I do think it's Florida State, Ohio State, and Auburn the top three in that order. Wisconsin's disappointing defeat probably isn't going to help Northern Illinois too much.

On the FCS side, it's nice to know teams like Sam Houston State and Fordham won their FCS playoff matches. I'm pleased for my beloved SHSU Bearkats as much as Blitz24 is proud for his Fordham Rams to win.

It does but if Auburn passes them they could be in a lot of trouble.
According to Cleveland.com, with the human element of the BCS is in, here is the top 3:

1. Florida State (97 First Place votes on the Harris Poll)
2. Ohio State (5 First Place votes on the Harris Poll)
3. Auburn (No First Place votes on the Harris Poll)

Combining the Harris and Coaches poll, Ohio State will have earned a .9455 to .9249 advantage over Auburn heading into the BCS computer polls, which throws out the highest and lowest scoring computer.

Latest BCS Standings:

1.) Florida State
2.) Ohio State
3.) Auburn
4.) Alabama
5.) Missouri
6.) Oklahoma State
7.) Stanford
8.) South Carolina
9.) Baylor
10.) Michigan State

The top 3 in the BCS standings all have games this coming week. If any of the three lose, that may hinder their National Championship hopes. Or let's imagine a strange (but realistic) scenario- let's say Florida State, Ohio State, and Auburn all lose. What will be the BCS National Championship game be then? Who'll play for a title, and who will have to settle for some other major BCS bowl?

This coming week will be very interesting.

* The Apple Cup was on the line in Seattle. Crash's Washington Huskies tamed the Washington State Cougars 27-17.

We did win the Apple Cup, but that win was not as easy as I would have liked to see. Good on WSU I guess, it means that they have improved a lot in the past couple of years.

--

I am NOT happy that Sarkisian is leaving for USC. I guess I'm not actually super surprised as I've kind of expected his decision to go this way since it was announced that he's being recruited. He's done a good job, but I guess now we have to find a new coach, and hopefully the new coach can take us even further and higher. I'll wait patiently to hear about our new coaching search though. :grumpy:

We won't be Barking for Sark no more here in Seattle.

No college football action until Thursday. This week mostly features a bunch of extra rivalry games as well as some conference championship games. December 14 will be the Heisman Trophy Presentation. HEre is a look at some of the upcoming matches this weekend:

--- THURSDAY ---
* #19 Louisville at Cincinnati

--- FRIDAY ---
* Bowling Green State vs. #14 Northern Illinois (MAC Championship Game)

--- (some of) SATURDAY ---
* #25 Texas at #9 Baylor
* #17 Oklahoma at #6 Oklahoma State {Bedlam Game}
* Marshall at Rice (Conference USA Championship game)
* #5 Missouri vs. #3 Auburn (SEC Championship Game)
* #7 Stanford at #11 Arizona State (Pac-12 Championship Game)
* #20 Duke vs. #1 Florida State (ACC Championship Game)
* #2 Ohio State vs. #10 Michigan State (B1G Championship Game)

The other divisions of NCAA Football are in playoff mode. The National Championship games for other levels of NCAA Football will likely be aired through this month.

Unless your team(s)' season is over, good luck to all of your teams this weekend.

Good luck to all of your teams this weekend, including in tonight's match involving #19 Louisville at Cincinnati.

[UPDATE] I forgot to mention that we should know more about the whole Jameis Winston deal and how he'll be treated moving forward. Either the Florida State QB will be vindicated or be faced with lots of scrutiny.

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN...

Jameis Winston has been cleared of sexual assault. So he's been vindicated. This guy can probably now get on with his life now. I was watching FOX Sports 1 (formerly SPEED Channel) when I saw this report.

Any thoughts you want to share on this bit of news?

Just that I'm ready for the talking heads to shut up about it so everyone else can get on with their lives. Seriously how is 4 hours or different people repeating the exact same information necessary?

If #14 Northern Illinois loses tonight in the MAC Championship game, the only real BCS Buster remaining will be no more. Right now, Bowling Green State is up 17-10 with 13:07 left in the 2nd Quarter.

Good luck to your team(s) this weekend if they are still playing out the regular season.

DOWN GOES NORTHERN ILLINOIS!

Just like I feared a few years ago when unbeaten Ball State took on Buffalo in the MAC Championship game, the Bowling Green State Falcons hammered the unbeaten #14 Northern Illinois 47-27. The birds from Bowling Green, Ohio took down the doggies from DeKalb, Illinois. Another possible BCS Buster goes down... and in flames. This is a chance for someone lower-ranked BCS team to move up potentially.

John did you see any of that Cincinnati vs Louisville game last night? The drive Bridgewater put together to eventually put the game in overtime was unreal. First the 4th and 12 run where he essentially stumbled backwards 14 yards for a first down followed by a perfect pass and catch as he was falling to the ground for a late TD. The bearcats almost stayed alive in overtime but a receiver dropped the ball on 4th. Just thought it was an interesting game all around.

As for NIU, BG thoroughly trounced them proving the probably didn't deserve to be in the BCS race in the first place despite an impressive season from Jordan Lynch.

Hoping Ohio State doesn't crumble under pressure tomorrow and also that Duke can pull out a miracle against FSU (seriously doubt it but anything is possible)
Tiger battle for the SEC will be one to watch...can't say I have a preference personally but I'm going to put my money on the tigers...

... Of Misery (or Missouri, however you spell the name of that state...sorry that's my crimson and blue blood talking)

Once again good luck to your teams this conference championship weekend..unless they're from the State of Michigan; specifically Michigan State :P

Update on UW's search for a new head coach. We hired Boise State's Chris Petersen to be our new head coach.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think we may have gotten an upgrade in coaches, which is good for us...

I think Peterson is a good fit for U of W. It will interesting to see how today's games turn out. I like Mizzoou today because I think they have a chip on their shoulders because all talk about Auburn deserving a title shot if they win.

OK St. loses against Oklahoma, costing themselves a BCS bid. Baylor wins the Big 12.

Auburn knocks off Missouri, clinching the SEC Title and possibly allowing Alabama to stay in BCS Championship conversation.

Back