Corvette C7 Test Prototype ’13 DLC Out Now!

• Thread starter Marky264
  • 1,605 comments
To drive stock as they are? They are fun to drive on Sports Hard tyres (or Comfort Soft).

Don't get me wrong, I too was looking forward to upgradable production cars and am quite disappointed you can't and don't understand why you can't tune them but I still enjoy them however.
As for the time it took them, how's that relevant to being customizable or not? They've now modelled the C7, we might get the upgradable production version in a while as well (the modelling is the same).
Didn't think about the modeling being the same for the production model but then again the game may never be updated again. We never know.

It is disappointing that they spend time and money on two prototypes that aren't upgradable. That time and effort could have been spent elsewhere. Perhaps Chevy paid them, who knows?

I was so excited to get the unmasked version I jumped in it and changed the oil and tried the RM. It didn't work so I tried to add aero to it which didn't work. I tried the paints and they didn't work. I drove it for a bit and wanted faster shifting and to tune the tranny but it wasn't an option. I love modding cars, what can I say lol.

Didn't think about the modeling being the same for the production model but then again the game may never be updated again. We never know.

It is disappointing that they spend time and money on two prototypes that aren't upgradable. That time and effort could have been spent elsewhere. Perhaps Chevy paid them, who knows?

I was so excited to get the unmasked version I jumped in it and changed the oil and tried the RM. It didn't work so I tried to add aero to it which didn't work. I tried the paints and they didn't work. I drove it for a bit and wanted faster shifting and to tune the tranny but it wasn't an option. I love modding cars, what can I say lol.

Being the first game to get one of the most important sports car in the year and the prototype before anyone else is hardly wasting resources .

I guess it's foremost a C7 promo for now, a virtual test drive of the stock version, don't know if Chevrolet or any manufacturer literally pays them or that they get other benefits by doing so (easier or earlier access/licenses for other GM products for example).
As for RM-versions, with the TC-versions being offered as DLC I don't think we'll be able to RM new cars anymore in GT5.

Again, I was also expecting the full production car and also don't really understand this decision, don't know what Chevrolet gains by offering a car which can't be tuned either, maybe they just still want a level of secrecy left intact until the car becomes available to buy and drive in real life, you know, something which tuning the car ingame might reveal (although I still can't see why that would be an issue).

Amazing car, alot of fun to drive. Too bad it can't be painted, but then again, I think the red version with dark rims is almost how I would have customized it myself. Ferraru looks, eh?

I've uploaded a video with some random footage of it, great fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBanCzgaZ58

Last edited:
Despite the negativity, i still love this new FP. Maybe if Chev decide to ditch the grill, it look less F12 and throw away that rear light eye-liner to look less Camaro.

8389987354_50c8f28812_z.jpg

The car handles like a ****box on ice...

Really? I think it handles great, a bit of understeer in slow corners (as you'd expect) but on the whole quite neutral, yes it's easy to get the car to oversteer or drifting if you choose to (and I frequently choose to) but completely controllable when sideways.

Really? I think it handles great, a bit of understeer in slow corners (as you'd expect) but on the whole quite neutral, yes it's easy to get the car to oversteer or drifting if you choose to (and I frequently choose to) but completely controllable when sideways.

yeah, campared to a 599 its a blast to drive:tup:

Thoughts after driving it around: Noticed this car is not as tail happy as the Test Prototype was, its abit more composed. The Test Prototype would snap loose whereas this car gradually steps out and is abit more predictable.

agreed 👍 wonder how it will sound in real life.

Might be just me but I can't seem to produce flames from the exhaust

Usually changing to the sports Cat allows you to spit flames but as don't think you can tune the c7 you won't be able to do this (I haven't played with it on GT5 yet so I'm just guessing you can't tune it)

Ferrari F40: 201 with 478hp.
Porsche 959: 197 with 450hp.
Lamborghini Diablo: 202 with 492 horsepower.

Top speed overwhelmingly has to do with gearing, horsepower and aerodynamics. The weight of the car has very little bearing on it; to the extent that it only influences it indirectly through the rolling resistance of the tires.

Why don't you give us the fact that these cars you wrote have less weight than C7? F40 1200 kgs, P959 1150 kgs and Diablo is more powerful to overcome its added weight. 👍

Definitely goes better with SM or stickier tyres. Handles really good once you spend time with it(just like any car).

Why don't you give us the fact that these cars you wrote have less weight than C7? F40 1200 kgs, P959 1150 kgs and Diablo is more powerful to overcome its added weight. 👍

Play with this, set the rolling resistance and drag coefficient to zero - notice that top speed is only limited by drag forces. Notice also that, with sensible drag figures re-instated, mass only affects the rolling resistance. In effect, changing the mass only alters the split of power given to overcoming rolling resistance and that overcoming aero drag. That varying proportion gives rise to the variance of the transition point in the power requirement vs. speed graph from being straight (rolling resistance dominated) to curved (aero dominated).

Some interesting points: with the defaults on that calculator, you only need 17 bhp to get to 60 mph. But, 17 bhp enables a 0 - 60 time of about 50 seconds in a drag-less system, much more with drag (well, infinitely more, actually - you need more than 17 bhp to achieve 60 mph at all). 120 mph requires 90 bhp and takes 40 seconds without drag.
Drag is the key issue with top speed, and rolling resistance (and hence mass) is usually secondary to aero - all that's left is a requirement to add kinetic energy to the car at a certain rate, which comes from how much larger the accelerative force is over the drag force. Thus, as long as the driving force is even only slightly larger than the drag, the car will keep accelerating indefinitely (see Newton's laws of motion) - mass does not in itself limit top speed, only really acceleration.

You could exploit this in one of the past Daytona seasonals. You found the heaviest 200 bhp car you could and, although it might have been a challenge to stay in the slipstream at the start, once up to speed, it'd have no problem with winning just the same as if it were an Elise, and your PP bonus would have been through the roof! ;)

Again, I was also expecting the full production car and also don't really understand this decision, don't know what Chevrolet gains by offering a car which can't be tuned either, .

That's one way of stopping people from ruining it. :P

Fifth gear did the test: one Jason Plato makes a hot hatch faster than a lot of go faster bits. They were right. I got a Plato, shoved it in my glove box - well, the important bits that is - and my family car does all the stuff a Chevy Cruze does. Money well spent I'd say :)

Raced the Stingray in the first two races in the Stars and Stripes event. Handles like a dream.

Just slap on Racing Soft tyres and let fly, and you've got an easy win! :)

Im very happy with the new C7, i only did sport softs on it, because with harder compound the car just slides and steers harder, but with the sofer tires it behaves how i want, love it.

Raced the Stingray in the first two races in the Stars and Stripes event. Handles like a dream.

Just slap on Racing Soft tyres and let fly, and you've got an easy win! :)

Well it will handle well if you put unrealistically grippy tyres on it. It's a road car, it doesn't need racing tyres.

I don't know why, but I've been starting to like using Sports Hards more often and after driving both the Test Prototype and now the final Prototype of the Corvette, I really love using them.

Why don't you give us the fact that these cars you wrote have less weight than C7?

Because (again, and as pointed out above in more detail) weight is almost irrelevant, and:

F40 1200 kgs, P959 1150 kgs and Diablo is more powerful to overcome its added weight. 👍

Your figures for how much the 959 weighed are off by 300kgs even if Porsche's claimed weight figures were accurate (which period testing suggests that Porsche probably fudged the numbers a bit) or weight did matter. But regardless, here's another example:

steve-jobs-plateless-car.jpg

That car has two speed limiters. If you pay Mercedes to remove one it will hit 186. If you have someone else remove the second one or ask Mercedes to remove it for the purposes of testing, it will break 200. There are multiple tests done by magazines confirming it (one by Auto, Motor und Sport where the test was done; and one by Motor Trend where they tested it with the first limiter removed and AMG techs said that it would break 200 if they removed both). It had less horsepower than the Diablo and weighed about 900 pounds more than the C7 Corvette. Surely if weight was that much of a factor, it wouldn't be that fast.

But it is.

As an aside:

That's pretty cool.

Last edited:
@Toronado: SL55 AMG has Cw=0.27 and a lot more torque than Diablo or C7 as it is supercharged. These two factors allow it to reach 200 mph as they overcome the added weight. It is simple physics. Mass plays a great role in top speed and a lot greater in acceleration from stance. Not the first though.
1) Cw-dimensions (total drag)
2) HP-Torque-Transmission (total power)
3) Weight
are all important but with diffirences in which factor weighs more in the final result.

@Toronado: SL55 AMG has Cw=0.27 and a lot more torque than Diablo or C7 as it is supercharged. These two factors allow it to reach 200 mph as they overcome the added weight. It is simple physics. Mass plays a great role in top speed and a lot greater in acceleration from stance. Not the first though.
1) Cw-dimensions (total drag)
2) HP-Torque-Transmission (total power)
3) Weight
are all important but with diffirences in which factor weighs more in the final result.

How so? the only way I see it affecting top speed is how fast it gets there...

Back