Crash's Photos

• Thread starter Crash
  • 451 comments
The Sigma is listed as an EF mount but "designed for APS-C" sensors. What, is that meaning that you're not supposed to use it on a full frame?
It means that it can't be used on full frame cameras unfortunately. Much like the Canon EF-S lenses.

The Sigma is listed as an EF mount but "designed for APS-C" sensors. What, is that meaning that you're not supposed to use it on a full frame?

Prime lens are fun, but I should save my money and start getting some good zoom glass to be able to cover a decent focal range first before spending much money on primes.

@Solo is right in comparing it to an EF-S lens, which means the image circle projected is big enough to cover APS-C but not full-frame. Additionally, some crop lenses have rear elements that will interfere with the mirror on a full-frame dSLR.

As for the prime vs. zoom thing, I usually champion primes but I also am a bit obsessed with lens speed and size over versatility. But the 18-35mm (I'm a bit fascinated by that lens) seems to do everything, and then a 70-200mm zoom would handle the other end pretty damn well.

That looks like a gorgeous place and you've captured it well! 👍

EDIT: Looks like the Canon 35mm f/2 is $600 or $1300 for a f/1.4 L. How much is a Nikon 35mm?

Nikon has the 35mm 1.8G DX that works on crop sensor cameras and it sells for around $200, I owned it for a while and I thought it was a pretty good lens.

Looking at the tags, what you got you out to SLC and whats the story behind that rail photo? A part of me really likes that you've framed/cropped out the right most element that is casting that shadow - the colors and composition all work well with the scene.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I was out in SLC for a couple of weeks for work a few months go, and I'm now finally getting around to posting some pictures from that trip. I spent the weekend and a few of the weekday evenings that I didn't work late exploring the city and surrounding areas. That train station is on the way to and from the office that I was working out of, and I just saw that scene with the station with flat fields around it standing out against the mountains on my drive back to the hotel. With the sun starting to go down, I thought it was real pretty with how clear it was, so I stopped a snapped a few pictures.

Look at it on flickr, I'm guessing you shot it wide open for that focal length? Wondering as the shutter speed is quite high and you can see the edges getting soft. For work like this I'd recommend staying at F/8 unless light conditions demand you drop down, and even then I'd push my ISO to 200 before losing clarity.

On a personal taste note, I like a bit more recovery in shadows and then locally adjusting the contrast when dealing with snowy mountain situations, despite how flat the overcast weather makes the capture.

Look at it on flickr, I'm guessing you shot it wide open for that focal length? Wondering as the shutter speed is quite high and you can see the edges getting soft. For work like this I'd recommend staying at F/8 unless light conditions demand you drop down, and even then I'd push my ISO to 200 before losing clarity.

On a personal taste note, I like a bit more recovery in shadows and then locally adjusting the contrast when dealing with snowy mountain situations, despite how flat the overcast weather makes the capture.

It was wide open, yeah. Thanks for the tip on staying at F/8, I'm trying to be better about picking the right aperture for the right situations. Now that you've explained it and having done a bit of reading, what you said makes a ton of sense.

To adjust the contrast locally, are you using the graduated filter in LR, or are you doing that in PS?

To adjust the contrast locally, are you using the graduated filter in LR, or are you doing that in PS?

Either the adjustment brush tool in LR or dodge/burning in PS, depending on the extent of it. Fiddle with highlights and shadows in addition to contrast, and well all the sliders actually, when working in LightRoom. In Photoshop, I generally leave the dodge/burn tools set to 5% to 10% outside of extreme situations.

Back