Crazy ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it might be worth adding to this thread about the ads something else I noticed just how obtrusive they are, Its getting annoying now.
Please see the screenshot below. Not only do they get in the way of checking alerts but also the search function as you can see.

ads.png

Thought it might be worth adding to this thread about the ads something else I noticed just how obtrusive they are, Its getting annoying now.
Please see the screenshot below. Not only do they get in the way of checking alerts but also the search function as you can see.

View attachment 683119
Thanks for the screenshot, that is definitely not acceptable and should be out of the rotation later today. You'll notice the "Report Ad" link is still visible in the middle of the page there; please use it if you see something like this.

On mobile, I have had random times where I get redirected out of nowhere to this and it's one of those where I can't go back. Happened twice already.
View attachment 683419
No other ads to report though.
I've had that happen to me on other sites too like Forbes. Usually only happens when I click on a Facebook link though.

I've had that happen to me on other sites too like Forbes. Usually only happens when I click on a Facebook link though.
Can confirm it happening on my mobile device too, but I wondered if its from already existing adware on my device? Don't really know how these things work, but it only seems to be happening here.

There's still a problem with the ad banners sitting over the forum's own menu layer. Sometimes it's invisible but I got a screenshot of the CoD banner. The redirects from mis-clicks are pretty annoying :D

It depends on the size of screen that one's using - I took this pic on my main HD machine, on the laptop more of the menus are covered by banner.

AdOverlay.jpg

I am now getting audio ads that automatically start playing on page loadup. Nothing awkward about the ad itself, but it has startled me a few times. Also, trying to report these ads kicks me back to the forum homepage before I can click anything.

PC, Windows 7.

There's still a problem with the ad banners sitting over the forum's own menu layer. Sometimes it's invisible but I got a screenshot of the CoD banner. The redirects from mis-clicks are pretty annoying :D

It depends on the size of screen that one's using - I took this pic on my main HD machine, on the laptop more of the menus are covered by banner.

View attachment 684712
Are you seeing this CoD campaign on every page view?

I am now getting audio ads that automatically start playing on page loadup. Nothing awkward about the ad itself, but it has startled me a few times. Also, trying to report these ads kicks me back to the forum homepage before I can click anything.

PC, Windows 7.
Do you recall what the ad was for? Any additional information is very useful in tracking down the bad ads.

Do you recall what the ad was for? Any additional information is very useful in tracking down the bad ads.
No, unfortunately. If I do get them again, I will note what the ad was for.

I can't give you a definite log but it seems to be on every page. It's on this page as I write.

EDIT: Just did a random click-through of several forums and news pages, it was on all but one (the other ad was Evil Within 2).

I couldn't use the drop down for several things due to the problem I already mentioned, here it is just now:

AdOverlay2.jpg

I've had the audio ones pop up from nowhere and there were no visible ads on the page related to the audio at all, The first time I heard it was something to do with cocktails or something like that, Been happening to me since today and has now happened about 3 times in an equal number of hours.

Edit 4:44PM Audio ad for 888poker, Nothing visual just the sound coming out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Here's another odd thing, although I accept it may be by design.

I saw a post in this thread and clicked to visit... but I mis-clicked and opened @Lameonade's little profile summary. Rather than use the red cross to close it I clicked off the edge as I normally do (and as is conventional for such pop ups), I've highlighted the area where I clicked on the below screenshot. Rather than just closing @Lameonade's summary I was redirected to GAME to purchase Evil Within 2. Pfft. :D

Clickzone.JPG

E1447C95-B07D-4891-BA1C-9E012713EF4B.png
Getting a facebook ad on my phone. It’s every time I go to a thread from my notifications. If you click close is redirects to what appears to be Facebook but it’s for a free tablet that seems malicious?

Just got a pop up add on the news home page with links to news articles that are too inappropriate to repost.

Just got a pop up add on the news home page with links to news articles that are too inappropriate to repost.
Oh no, really? Did you catch a screenshot? If so, you can send the image to me via private conversation. Were you on a your phone or desktop computer?

Oh no, really? Did you catch a screenshot? If so, you can send the image to me via private conversation. Were you on a your phone or desktop computer?
Yeah. It caught me off guard and I second guessed capturing a screen shot. If it pops up again I’ll send you a message. Was on me phone. Thanks Jordan.

It sounds like the new ad provider wasn't expecting this to happen.

I've been getting redirected to a fake sketchy Walmart or whatever giveaway page. It happens even if Chrome is in the background and I'm on Instagram or something.

I've just today started getting alerts from Malwarebytes about it blocking access to a domain while I'm browsing the Project Cars 2 forum, and according to this blog post it's them blocking malicious ads. The domain it's blocking is gp.symcd.com

Posting it in here as I guess it will be related to the new ad provider.

72843A1E-B462-4333-97F0-D66939F9B913.png
O.M.F.G. they’re relentless! It’s surprising I made it this far without this pop up. Every almost 5 seconds this dammit thing pops up. Close the browser...clear history and web data...go to GT planet...re-log back in and Groundhog Day. I’m on iPhone. This isn’t the only site this is happening to either as I’m sure most of you have probably noticed by now. There’s something crazy going on with the inter webs lately. Could it be the internet apocalypse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back