Crazy ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jordan Was on Chrome on my ZTE Zmax Pro, on 4G, when this happened:

Screenshot_20180107-141410.png

I was reading @Brend's Knockhill article when it just suddenly forced me into that page.

I was logged in and I'm premium. I'm not sure if it was site specific because TV Tropes has the same issue on mobile (and there my Chrome blocks the forced pop-ups).

I was logged in and I'm premium. I'm not sure if it was site specific because TV Tropes has the same issue on mobile
Both of those factors suggest your redirects could be due to malware; I'd suggest taking a closer look at the software installed on your device.

Both of those factors suggest your redirects could be due to malware; I'd suggest taking a closer look at the software installed on your device.
Will do. I just did a cursory look and didn't see anything odd, but when I have time I'll dig through the apps one by one.

It's not so much the malware, than the ad itself.
Because I test things on a factory default phone and get these.
Until I get a popup blocker than I get 0

It's not so much the malware, than the ad itself.
Because I test things on a factory default phone and get these.
Until I get a popup blocker than I get 0
You're receiving the exact same Amazon Rewards redirect that Obelisk reported above? That's what I was referring to.

The fact that he's seen it on multiple sites, while signed in to his Premium account, suggests that it is likely not coming from GTPlanet's ad providers.

You're receiving the exact same Amazon Rewards redirect that Obelisk reported above? That's what I was referring to.

The fact that he's seen it on multiple sites, while signed in to his Premium account, suggests that it is likely not coming from GTPlanet's ad providers.

The same redirect ads.
It happens on random sites.
I noticed when it does happen it has something to do with the ISP too. (Not always)
Because it will say the IP ... Then the Provider of (Ex Comcast) said you have won Amazon, Ebay, Google, etc.

But all those goes away when an adblocker is in use.

I’m getting very annoying pop up ads! Using Chrome on iOS iPad.

I click close ad but it comes back almost immediately!

Jordan, I didn't see the same ad across several sites. :lol: I should've been more clear in that the random hijacking happens across sites but not the same ads. I think the same rogue ad provider is hitting both places.

The same redirect ads.
It happens on random sites.
I noticed when it does happen it has something to do with the ISP too. (Not always)
Because it will say the IP ... Then the Provider of (Ex Comcast) said you have won Amazon, Ebay, Google, etc.

But all those goes away when an adblocker is in use.
Jordan, I didn't see the same ad across several sites. :lol: I should've been more clear in that the random hijacking happens across sites but not the same ads. I think the same rogue ad provider is hitting both places.
It doesn't matter what the ad is; you're both Premium members, and if you're signed into your account, there is no code on the page which could cause this behavior.
I’m getting very annoying pop up ads! Using Chrome on iOS iPad.

I click close ad but it comes back almost immediately!
Please provide a screenshot of the pop-up that you see.

I had a few pop-ups similar to @Obelisk a while ago but only ever while on the Independent newspaper site. I stopped using that site and haven't had a similar pop-up since. Does that suggest that they can be site specific?

6zsnmpj.png

It's the one at the bottom and it's really annoying because you can't scroll past it and even if you close it, it comes back!

@Jordan
On mobile I am not always signed in right away when it happens.
I am always signed in on desktop.
Although that's when I have learned to just use a popup blocker which is not "Right" because it loses out on revenue.

Yesterday was fine. Today, I just got nailed a few times. One ad was a pop up while reading the Alanso story. Others were while the main News page loaded. At least this time I can back page a bunch of times.

It’s an Amazon ad with a spin at the wheel of misfortune.

I’ll post a screenshot if it happens.

Hate to be reporting this, but I just left a thread open on my phone and when I came back to it I had a Playboy page there instead :(

Hit back on my phone many times and eventually that page disappeared, but I got this instead:

Screenshot_20180109-220229.png

When reading the new BMW article I got two ads like this. Not concerning, but they are quite small.

gtp_ads_0.PNG

Yeah, I got this one today too. Not the first time for this kind of ad. I also understand the need for ads, but I have to close the page and reopen it again in a different tab to be able to see the page. The back button works as a redirect to a similar ad.
Screenshot_2018-01-13-18-01-35.png

I've been getting ads like those recently posted I'd say for about a month when I'm not logged in to my account. I could be half way reading through a post and something like this would pop up:

Screenshot_20180114-143759.png

Android and Chrome redirects might be some rogue app issue, check apps installed and uninstall any that look dodgy. Clearing web data might help. I just tried on my Android phone Chrome and had no redirects. Firefox on Android shouldn't have any issues. I noticed some ads target Chrome and Android users a lot while on Firefox on Android I don't have such issues so stick to using that as my main web browser.

3EEAC43F-1392-4CA9-8873-645D4F1068AA.png
4E630163-E03D-4E76-93C9-6FA3C81C0D7B.png
While watching the embedded new Bullitt video. I had to close the tab.

Last edited:
Got another one of these redirects. Like the last time, my computer was idle on the forums home-page.

Screenshot (85).png

Quote from a different thread. This pop up happens very rarely on certain websites. Usually off random Facebook articles.

It happens much more frequently here on gtplanet

I have experienced this issue on multiple phone's and phone web browsers.

When on this website, I will be randomly scrolling through and reading articles when all of the sudden I am taken to a new webpage.

This new webpage is usually a spin the wheel to win something or a fake Facebook or Target thing. The next time it happens, I will screenshot and post it here. These spammy websites do not allow me to back out of the page, so I have no choice but to close the browser and refind the forum/news article I was reading.

It's becoming a very frustrating annoyance with this website. Has anyone else experienced it?

I've experienced it again. I don't even live in Illinois...
Screenshot_20180121-083308.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back