Crazy ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ad1.png

I get this ad on the PC version of GTPlanet (sadly, although these don't appear on mobile for me but are replaced by other, slightly NSFW ones). It seems to slow the page down as well, although that might just be the download I'm doing in the background. The banner round the side is just an image and clicking on it doesn't do anything if you click on it.

P.S: Sorry about the gap between the image and the text. This was an error while saving the picture in Paint.

As it seems I'm not the only one who's started getting weird rouge ads/popups. At least once a day, usually within a few seconds or minutes of opening an article, I get automatically redirected (usually) to a fake flash player update page. I was worried at first that my computer (Macbook Pro, Safari, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) got infected with malware - but at the same time the same exact rouge redirects started occurring on my phone and iPad. Neither had been connected to my computer since the issue started occurring for me, and I've never had a problem like this on any other site. It doesn't happen every time or at consistent intervals so I don't have any screenshots right now, but I can grab them if (or rather probably when) it happens again.

Edit:

Just minutes after posting this, it happened again. Here's screenshots:

This is the most common redirect, there's a coulee others I recall seeing, but it's almost always this one:

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.09.04 AM.png

After hitting the "close" button (similar on both phone and iPad given their respective prompts):

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.09.16 AM.png

When trying to hit the back button on the desktop version:

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.09.26 AM.png

Result of hitting "leave page" (it can be any of many sites, it often just goes back to an auto-redirect script and just lands me back on the same page). I pretty much always have to spam the back button because it does a lot of layers of quick auto-redirect scripts:

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.09.35 AM.png

Jesus, as I'm typing this it happened again. Getting a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
Thanks for the screenshots, @Quakebass, I've notified the ad provider.

If anyone else sees those redirects, please let me know.

Yeah I had my third redirect tonight, usually I can just hit the back button and return to the thread I was reading, but this one actually tried to download a flash popup. Similar to the screenshots above, never had this issue on GTP until this month. I ran my malware and anti virus stuff just to see if I had some issues on my end but nothing comes up.

I can second @LMSCorvetteGT2. I've been taken to a "congratulations you won" page at least twice these past five days. I can confirm the source of it is GTPlanet and not some other page I had running.
Thanks for the heads-up. If you can grab a screenshot of the redirect it is always very helpful.

Right now I'm running through the site in desktop mode, despite being on mobile, because ads are unable to load in mobile mode but keep trying anyway, resulting in me being taken out of text entry and to the top* of the page.

*Interestingly enough, it stops just short of the ad that's trying to load.

I don't run any kind of ad blocker, and this issue is new today.

Edit: It seems to no longer be an issue.

Last edited:
I seem to be getting this massive ad for COD Black Ops 4 and it's really really annoying. I feel like I'm using a PlayStation Forum; it's the worst I've seen it.
Outrageous Ad.PNG

I got a redirect ad used for phishing this time. Perhaps, Google Adsense is the cause.
Screenshot_20180724-201611.png Screenshot_20180724-201629.png

Last edited:
@Jordan sorry bro, it's back. It's very annoying. Its popping up a lot and making it hard to read/type. It appears multiple times on the same page without it being reloaded.

Screenshot_20180728-000825_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know; I'm sorry about that.

I've notified the ad provider again so hopefully they can get a fix in place in the morning.

Screenshot_20180730-112343_Chrome.jpg

Oof. The HD ad has returned :( Ignore the message send error. I don't get great service in my office, so my text won't go through.

Wow, OK. The ad provider has been very responsive to my complaints, so I'm not sure why this continues to be a problem. I've reported it again. Fortunately we're in the middle of the workweek so their devs should be able to get to it quickly.

Been getting this one this week. Not particularly bad, but I do find it annoying in an OCD kind of way. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

Screenshot_20181011-001752.png

^ Don't have screencaps of my own, but I got the exact same ads and redirects yesterday.

So about that issue I posted about on my profile, here is the ad I mentioned:
IMG_2939[1].PNG

As I said before, I have noticed once this ad shows, my entire browser will lock up and my controls, like the refresh button or switching tabs for instance, will become unresponsive for about half a minute. Once they unfreeze, if I tap on something, it will start loading and then hang there for a long time. If I close out of the tab, open another and then type in GTP's address, it will load then, but only for the issue to start all over again.

I can be certain it's this ad causing it because it don't happen when it's not there. Only happens on mobile, doesn't happen on PC, in fact I am on my laptop right now and it's there, but isn't causing any problems. Only happens on GTP, every other website I have been to doesn't do this. I should note this is one of two ads I have seen that do this, the other is from the same provider, but I don't have a screenshot of it.

This add is REALLY LOUD (and annoying). Every time it comes into view it starts, but as soon as I scroll down the volume disappears.
Edit: And now it's doing it whenever it's at the top of the page, even if I've gone to the newest post at the bottom of the page, forcing me to scroll to the top to shut it up then back down again :irked:.

uyjrr.png

I've also been getting this redirect lately (only on this site) but luckily my security stops it.

Untitled12.png

Edit again:
gfdx.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back