Toyota Reveals 86 Successor: GR 86

This explains a little bit about the rear suspension geometry of old & new S2000. Also, the differences when using the new 17" wheels on the old car.

I like the Toyota version a lot more but here’s a cool video of the BRZ

I think I’m sold. It looks like it’s a blast to drive. They fixed the torque dip, and is a full second faster 0-60. I really like the looks of the new GR 86 over the last gen 86. The side profile reminds me of the Lexus RC350, especially with the duck tail trunk spoiler, the front kind of reminds me of Jag F type for the GR 86 and Porsche Panamara for the BRZ. The back reminds me of Lexus RC, civic or NSX. The only thing I’d do is lower it, there’s too much gap between the tire and wheel arches, and get slightly bigger wheels, they look a bit small. I heard that the older model 86/BRZ exhaust sounded bad but in this video it sounds decent. The only question now is reliability.

Another video

I'm 99.9% sure I'll be buying the Toyota GR 86 when it comes out. I've heard a little bit about the engine on here that has me wondering about reliability. Or is it just due to disappointment the low hp/torque figures from the first gen and no substantial increase in hp and no turbo for the new one? The new engine has a modest hp gain and fixed torque dip which is fine for me I have other cars for power. Is the new engine the same just an increase in displacement (2.0 to 2.4)? Is reliability an issue?

Last edited:
I'm always a little bit suspicious about videos like this one. The things Scott Speed says are too positive. I think he is hired by Subaru to test this car so he can't say anything negative. Just my opinion.

I'm always a little bit suspicious about videos like this one. The things Scott Speed says are too positive. I think he is hired by Subaru to test this car so he can't say anything negative. Just my opinion.
That's very true and I took that into consideration but the previous model has already been proven to be a great drivers car, with the new model improved with more hp, fixed torque dip and stiffer chassis, a digital display, etc.

It's a video produced and hosted by Subaru on its official channel. Of course it's PR, and not an objective review.

I'm 99.9% sure I'll be buying the Toyota GR 86 when it comes out. I've heard a little bit about the engine on here that has me wondering about reliability. Or is it just due to disappointment the low hp/torque figures from the first gen and no substantial increase in hp and no turbo for the new one? The new engine has a modest hp gain and fixed torque dip which is fine for me I have other cars for power. Is the new engine the same just an increase in displacement (2.0 to 2.4)? Is reliability an issue?

I don't think the engines are notoriously unreliable but I doubt you can't expect something like a Toyota/Honda inline 4 in terms of durability. Subaru engines seemingly eat head gaskets, though, again, I've not heard of this happening with the FA20 very much.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/hks-has-already-supercharged-the-new-toyota-gr86/
09a851134c55a831414599876bd23843.jpeg

This HKS version is a (without that stupid wing) worthy option for the not-to-Europe-coming Nissan Z.

I like the looks of the GT86 more. The GR86 looks more generic and the rear end is not the most attractive rear end.

A Lexus-badged variant of the GR86 may have been spotted
ExojG6XVgAE1xsd-e1624385872646.jpeg

It could receive the UC badge (stands for urban coupe) and feature a hybrid powertrain

Last edited:
.... three rear-wheel drive....
From the article that @FT-1 posted. I misunderstood and was wondering how can they drive 3 out of the 4 wheels. I can be so stupid sometimes.

Nice! Very interesting concept.

1624520166454.png

... which is already geared with electrification in mind, ...
Is there going to be an electric BRZ or GR86?

Last edited:
From the article that @FT-1 posted. I misunderstood and was wondering how can they drive 3 out of the 4 wheels. I can be so stupid sometimes.

Nice! Very interesting concept.

View attachment 1062234

Is there going to be an electric BRZ or GR86?
By Electrified, they are probably referring to a mild hybrid or full hybrid setup.

When Lexus was asked about the Lexus version of the 86, they responded with this

Unfortunately, we cannot comment or speculate on future product strategy. That said, we do have some exciting things coming up for Lexus. Please stay tuned!

I think styling wise the car is a big step back.

The original car still has a fresh look, even the 2012 launch model.

This new one is an amalgam of cars that I dont find particualry noteworthy... the honda ish rear end, the jaguar f type notes, the lexus bits.

Its lost its identity.

I realise at this late juncture any rwd manual car is worth celebrating but while I like C6 corvettes and the SS 1LE and that type, I dont have any feeling for this car, nor would I want to own one, nor do I think its at all desirable as a 'future classic' although I'm sure it'll be one.

WHat do I want? A late model original GT86 say a 2016 or 17 etc. with an LSX and Tremec 6 spd in it.

Using it on GT Sport yesterday, I couldn't help but lament that it's the most dated looking car they sell. Heck, even the C-HR looks more contemporary sports coupe than this.

Luckily numbers in Japan are the same. It seems that an MT is a little bit faster than an AT.

USD pricing for the BRZ revealed

TrimTransmissionMSRPMSRP + $960 destination
Premium6MT$27,995$28,955
Premium6AT$29,595$30,555
Limited6MT$30,495$31,455
Limited6AT$32,295$33,255

In comparison, according to Subaru's website, the 2020 BRZ Limited begins at $28,845

Latest Posts

Back