Toyota Reveals 86 Successor: GR 86

And this is why using RTV in such a location is almost always a bad idea. It's the garage mechanic method of creating a gasket and it's kind of nuts that OEMs do it. Using a solid make-your-own-gasket material would be more reliable than this.

Last edited:
And this is why using RV in such a location is almost always a bad idea. It's the garage mechanic method of creating a gasket and it's kind of nuts that OEMs do it. Using a solid make-your-own-gasket material would be more reliable than this.
Wait, so there's no gasket just rtv?

If BMW made the engine, they would design the gaskets before the engine.

So literally the GR Corolla engine. This is great news also because it means the car is successful for Toyota - obviously - to the point where they can use their own drivetrain! Very cool.

But what does this mean for the Subaru version? Subaru continues to sell the car but with all-Toyota engineering? I think it's more likely that Subaru ends it altogether rather than uses their current turbo engine, or hybridizes the turbo engine.

I can honestly see Toyota swallowing up a bit more of Subaru, if not all of it in the near future. They're a big company but nowhere near the scale of the other Japanese giants, and I don't see them having the resources to develop their own EV powertrains without assistance. They're dead set on using Boxer engines and AWD across almost everything (which is weirdly admirable, given the current market), but I don't see it being sustainable long-term. They're having to rebadge one of Toyota's EVs already, since they don't have anything in their line-up to fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no BRZ variant going forward, or if there is, it'll just be a rebadge using the Toyota engine. It would be neat to have a different engine in their version - makes it much more justified to offer both - but I just don't see it happening.

In a thorough investigation, this engineer analyzed the oil pressure on the GR86 and BRZ during a track day and discovers that the oil pressure drops significantly on right hand corners. This appears to be unrelated to the earlier RTV problems

1688059056748.png

BRZ tS

1690249072589.png

1690249082948.png

1690249177148.png

The new trim level offers the best performance and handling capability in a BRZ ever thanks to STI-tuned suspension and a Brembo braking system. For the first time, EyeSight Driver Assist Technology is now standard on a Subaru model equipped with a manual transmission. With 2024 marking the return of the BRZ tS to the model line, this top trim level will be available nationwide at Subaru retailers early next year.

The BRZ tS comes equipped with STI-tuned front and rear Hitachi® dampers to maximize its light weight, ultra-low center of gravity and precision handling, resulting in greater flexibility and better control and stability. A high-performance Brembo braking system, including gold-painted 4-piston front calipers, gold-painted 2-piston rear calipers and larger pads and rotors, enhances stopping power, fade resistance and pedal feel. The BRZ tS also has 18-inch wheels mounted with 215/40 R18 Michelin Pilot® Sport 4 tires for superior grip and quicker turn-in.

Offered for the first time on any Subaru model with manual transmission is EyeSight Driver Assist Technology. The award-winning safety system includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Braking System, Lane Departure and Sway Warning, and Lead Vehicle Start Alert. All 2024 Subaru BRZ models equipped with a manual transmission will include EyeSight as standard equipment.

I can’t wait until Subaru stops selling this thing and starts selling rally cars again.

The GR86 could be replaced by a 3-cylinder hybrid in 2025 due to regulation changes

Toyota may be planning to replace its time-limited GR86 sports car as early as 2025 with a redesigned hybrid version that sits on a new platform and uses the turbocharged three-cylinder engine that already powers the much-admired GR Yaris.

Reports from Japan suggest that the current version of Toyota’s two-door sports coupé, launched early in 2021, will need to be removed from sale within two years because it will no longer comply with forthcoming Japanese fuel consumption and emissions standards.

Another factor is that its windscreen dimensions may no longer suit the advanced European safety systems – believed to be traffic light recognition cameras – that will be required in new cars from next year.

Back