"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't race much this week. But did work on my lap time for Interlagos. It's weird how I couldn't break 1:40 until Thursday. And now my slow laps are under 1:40. :D

Definitely learned something this week. I got much better at the 1st and last turns which where I found most of my time. After watching one of @Pigems videos I started shifting down a lot more than I usually do. Got me coming out of turns a lot more aggressively. That helped in both laps and in races.

Tracks look good for next week too. I'll suck at them. But the variety keeps me entertained and forces me to learn stuff.

Since we were talking about incidents before, I put together this clip from my last entry at Lagos daily.
I get divebombed, and my mistake is instead of cutting the track to take him out right away, I lunge and miss, giving myself a track cut pen. Anyhow, then I outbrake myself on the uphill left which is a bad mistake and am forced to go defensive into t1. Serving my pen...maybe a touch of gamesmanship there, with regards to my cars position, but I was pissed off. I was proud of myself for not taking out my outrage on other innocent drivers.
The Huracan and Merc drivers were both fair but tough. I showed it from my and their perspective.
The dadgum bomb at t1 is standard operating procedure for some drivers, and if you do that just know you may give your fellow countrymen a bad rep that’s not deserved.

Stay thirsty, my friends

After seeing @sturk0167 ’s list of Fastest Gr3 cars I decided to do a little testing myself this afternoon to see if top speed will be king or not. It seems it will be, the McLaren is the fastest and the wildest of the bunch, it’s Max risk/reward with this car. The SLS feels like the safest of the faster Cars, it was very stable and in control, the Peugeot wasn’t bad either, this was my first time using it, I actually had to go buy it to test lol. I’ve got the videos saved for each of anyone wants them. Hope this helps for tomorrow. All testing was done with Medium tires, with TCS 2 and BoP on. :)
AEE249DC-E1CF-44DC-8023-54C3209CE367.jpeg

Last edited:
Just tried RCZ at Interlagos- it’s like a scalded cat down the straights!!! Great fun.
SR taken a beating though. Did 4 races, won the first, started pole and ran away with it (2nd ever win). Next two races got rammed and dragged into midfield scrum including someone slowing down to ram me into the wall after they’d been tussling with someone else. A case of mistaken identity or just a #%@£. Obviously I got a 5 second penalty....
Last race, had a really good battle with leader, very respectful. Last corner I nailed it and in drag for line as I’m going past he turn me into wall. Thankfully this time he got penalty and I kept in straight to pick up the win. I don’t know why some players bother but cracking fun none the less!!

Nice times. 👍
Did you try it with the penalties on?
I was thinking I'd need to get around 57 to win that race.

Thanks. I just went into TT mode, I didn’t turn them on but I was consciously trying to keep within the limits. 57 should be a decent race lap, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone go Sub 55 by the end of the week. I could see people Q’ing with the McLaren and then racing the SLS a lot. :)

Thanks. I just went into TT mode, I didn’t turn them on but I was consciously trying to keep within the limits. 57 should be a decent race lap, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone go Sub 55 by the end of the week. I could see people Q’ing with the McLaren and then racing the SLS a lot. :)
I got penalties for stuff that I've done hundreds of times before. Nevertheless, 3:57 is outstanding! I'm still not sure which car I'll use. I need to do some actual qualifying tomorrow morning, to find the exact limits. Not sure if time trial track limits are really the same.

After seeing @sturk0167 ’s list of Fastest Gr3 cars I decided to do a little testing myself this afternoon to see if top speed will be king or not. It seems it will be, the McLaren is the fastest and the wildest of the bunch, it’s Max risk/reward with this car. The SLS feels like the safest of the faster Caracas very stable and in control, the Peugeot wasn’t bad either, this was my first time using it, I actually had to go buy it to test lol. I’ve got the videos saved for each of anyone wants them. Hope this helps for tomorrow. All testing was done with Medium tires, with TCS 2 and BoP on. :)
View attachment 820518

Nice, but I don't really like any of those cars. Guess I'll be in the vette hoping slipstream will compensate. Go through the Porsche and Corvette curves in a McLaren BMW, never.

I got penalties for stuff that I've done hundreds of times before. Nevertheless, 3:57 is outstanding! I'm still not sure which car I'll use. I need to do some actual qualifying tomorrow morning, to find the exact limits. Not sure if time trial track limits are really the same.

Thanks Man, I’m curious to see how low the top guys get it by the time I wake up tomorrow :lol: It’s gonna be a fun week. I’m curious to see how the penalties play out as well, this track is infamous for inconsistent penalties/limits. :)

Nice, but I don't really like any of those cars. Guess I'll be in the vette hoping slipstream will compensate. Go through the Porsche and Corvette curves in a McLaren BMW, never.

Go for the SLS, it was by far the most stable and easy to drive while still being plenty fast. :cheers:

Thanks Man, I’m curious to see how low the top guys get it by the time I wake up tomorrow :lol: It’s gonna be a fun week. I’m curious to see how the penalties play out as well, this track is infamous for inconsistent penalties/limits. :)

Go for the SLS, it was by far the most stable and easy to drive while still being plenty fast. :cheers:
I'm just hoping nobody hits my cones. :lol: I rely on them for braking points more than at any other track. If I recall correctly, the ones before the first chicane usually do get run over pretty often.

Black wheels

Don't know why you're going with the Dunlop tires, though. The Toyos have way better grip.

It's the least unlikeable for sure. It drives like a tank though, too stable is no fun either. Same for the GT-R. It won't really matter to have the fastest car anyway, I predict to be SR.B by tomorrow night :lol: Driving in the backfield on Sarthe, with only 3 SR per race. I need a car that can evade quickly and snap back in line without trouble.

Since there is no tire wear, perhaps it's time for some Italia fun!

I'm just hoping nobody hits my cones. :lol: I rely on them for braking points more than at any other track. If I recall correctly, the ones before the first chicane usually do get run over pretty often.

Black wheels

Don't know why you're going with the Dunlop tires, though. The Toyos have way better grip.

It doesn’t even matter on this track, the straights are long enough that you can just pause while at full throttle on the straight, turn you’re cones off, then turns them back on and they all reset for you. :cheers:

It's the least unlikeable for sure. It drives like a tank though, too stable is no fun either. Same for the GT-R. It won't really matter to have the fastest car anyway, I predict to be SR.B by tomorrow night :lol: Driving in the backfield on Sarthe, with only 3 SR per race. I need a car that can evade quickly and snap back in line without trouble.

Since there is no tire wear, perhaps it's time for some Italia fun!

You might like the Peugeot then, it’s a nice middle ground of fast and nimble while being pretty unique looking. But the Nissan GTR probably had the most room left in 6th gear for drafting, it spins easier at slower speeds though. :)

Last edited:
It doesn’t even matter on this track, the straights are long enough that you can just pause while at full throttle on the straight, turn you’re cones off, then turns them back on and they all reset for you. :cheers:

You might like the Peugeot then, it’s a nice middle ground of fast and nimble while being pretty unique looking. But the Nissan GTR probably had the most room last in 6th gear for drafting, it spins easier at slower speeds though. :)
Didn't know that.
I need a car that can evade quickly and snap back in line without trouble.
That's exactly why I was not wanting to use the Mclaren in the race. I need something nimble enough for quick improvisations.

Didn't know that.

That's exactly I was not wanting to use the Mclaren in the race. I need something nimble enough for quick improvisations.

I figured it out while ago while doing qually laps, I hated having to reset the session and lose the time I was chasing on the ticker just to reset my cones. But in a lobby or in a race the game doesn’t “pause” like it does offline, the car keeps driving(and drives very slowly if it has to take a corner) so you need a big straight to have enough time to pull it off, La Sarthe has many of those luckily. Once you turn them off you have to press circle once and then go back in to turn them back on for it to work, test it a couple times before trying it in a race to make sure you’ve got it down quickly. It’s a great trick to have up your sleeve, and if you ever wanted to be a dink you could plow over all the braking cones on the first lap(for everyone else too) and then reset your own. :lol: ;)

I figured it out while ago while doing qually laps, I hated having to reset the session and lose the time I was chasing on the ticker just to reset my cones. But in a lobby or in a race the game doesn’t “pause” like it does offline, the car keeps driving(and drives very slowly if it has to take a corner) so you need a big straight to have enough time to pull it off, La Sarthe has many of those luckily. Once you turn them off you have to press circle once and then go back in to turn them back on for it to work, test it a couple times before trying it in a race to make sure you’ve got it down quickly. It’s a great trick to have up your sleeve, and if you ever wanted to be a dink you could plow over all the braking cones on the first lap(for everyone else too) and then reset your own. :lol: ;)
Ha ha. That's a good one. 👍

One time at the East Outer Loop in an SR B or C race, I got smashed by 4 or 5 guys on the first lap, and was about 30 seconds behind the field. I was extremely unhappy by the time i got to the final turn of lap 1, so I used my bumper to push all the barrels into the middle of the track. :lol:
Screw those guys.

Last edited:
Ha ha. That's a good one. 👍

One time at the East Outer Loop in an SR C race, I got smashed by 4 or 5 guys on the first lap, and was about 30 seconds behind the field. I was extremely unhappy by the time i got to the final turn of lap 1, so I used my bumper to push all the barrels into the middle of the track. :lol:
Screw those guys.

Haha. Another nice one is take out the distance markers on Mount Panorama and watch the cars fly off at the bottom of the chase. Immediately taking out the markers at Murray's corner when starting last is a good strategy as well ;)

Haha. Another nice one is take out the distance markers on Mount Panorama and watch the cars fly off at the bottom of the chase. Immediately taking out the markers at Murray's corner when starting last is a good strategy as well ;)

The markers at the end of Fuji’s and NGP’s big straits are good ones to nudge as well, there’s really not much else around there to use on either. :lol:

@sturk0167 I always go with Dunlop because the letters are yellow, and they used to make Golf Clubs. There’s a Michelin sticker on the front bumper if that helps any. :lol:

Looks like Black wheels it is then, maybe I’ll try white tire letters then. Thanks guys! :cheers:

Edit: The tires don’t really matter right? lol

Is anyone racing tonight? I’m probably gonna do some Race A’s here shortly. :)

Last edited:
What do you guys think, Black or Yellow wheels? I can’t decide.

View attachment 820524
View attachment 820525
hello for me ... sorry - yellow for me.

And I think its ridiculous that the cones effect you at all in a race. Let alone when they are on the track. They are supposed to be an AID, not a punishment.

In real racing a marshall would remove them. Having cones effect people in races show me that PD is dominated by A-hole programmers who do things for their own gratification, rather than the pursuit of a car racing simulation.

Some of the ridiculous summersaults and spins those cones achieve when hit are waste of programming time and money. Spinning swan dives that go 8 stories tall. Which finish their show off journey laying stationary on the racing line almost every time. Nuts. What a waste of band width. Put them in a kids version of the game. The kids version would be suitable for many of the hit and run drivers' in this game. For instance: if one our silly drivers can hit the marshal removing the cone, then they get double points and red stuff on the front of their car as a mark of a PD reward for excellence ...:dunce:

But maybe this is a kids game after all.

And another change I'd like - if PD sees that the top times are being achieved by a couple of cars - then change the car's handicap straight away. Why force people to race the car that PD has given an in-appropriate handicap to? If >50% of the top times are the one car - then increase its handicap. Straight away ... The early top times are never there at the end of the week. And if those early cheater cars' stay with the week's top times - then good on the early qualifiers. They get a reward for working early on the fastest qualifying cars.

And could Kudos please attach the car driven to their top qualifying times?

And could Kudos also attach the statistics for podium cars from the actual races?

Last edited:
hello for me ... sorry - yellow for me.

And I think its ridiculous that the cones effect you at all in a race. Let alone when they are on the track. They are supposed to be an AID, not a punishment.

In real racing a marshall would remove them. Having cones effect people in races show me that PD is dominated by A-hole programmers who do things for their own gratification, rather than the pursuit of a simulation. And some of the ridiculous summersaults and spins those cones achieve when hit with spinning swan dives that go 8 stories tall and then finish up their show off journey on the racing line every time - how ridiculous. What a waste of band width. Put them in a kids version of the game ...

But maybe this is a kids game after all.

And another change I'd like - if PD sees that the top times are being achieved by a couple of cars - then change the car's handicap straight away. Why force people to race the car that PD has given in appropriate handicaps to? If >50% of the top times are the one car - then increase its handicap. Straight away ... The early top times are never there at the end of the week. And if they stay the top times - good on the early qualifiers.
Good point. Cones should be ghosted.

PIdlw97.jpg

This pretty much exemplifies my week. Me, and my Project 1 Porsche, at Kyoto. I don't know it well enough to set a good Q time. So, I've been starting between 15th, and 20th.

However, I know enough to set fairly consistent low 2:20 laps in the race. Even hit a few 2:19s. So, gaining positions hasn't really been an issue. All bar three, have been between 6th, and 10th place finishes.

Go for the SLS, it was by far the most stable and easy to drive while still being plenty fast. :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Dude. I tried it last night before bed and I beat my time first lap. I was hesitant due to weight, the hard tires hold up quite well

Another point of comparison for controller vs wheel - I took the console and controller to the living room to try it out with the 46" TV in there, so I could see if I preferred the theoretically correct FoV I could achieve there. I also tried it with the same FoV as my wheel setup.

I found with both FoVs that I mostly felt much more in control of the car with the controller, however my times weren't faster. I did race B qualifying, running around 20 laps, and my best was 1:40.1, whereas I've done 1:39.9 with the wheel, so it was very close. The main differences I noticed, going back from the wheel to the controller were:

1. Control of speed is much easier with the controller than the wheel. The short travel of the triggers vs pedals means you can adjust in timescales that simply aren't achievable with pedals. With the wheel, I feel for much of the time like I'm moving at the wrong speed, I'm either going too fast or too slow, but I can't make fast and accurate adjustments with the pedals. You either get it right first time or you live with it with pedals, but with the controller you have fine ultra fast adjustment. For that reason there were parts of the track that I struggle with a lot with the wheel that were much easier to get right with the controller.

2. For the low speed tight corners, which there are plenty of at Interlagos, the controller makes it massively easier to steer, as you just move the stick fully across, you don't have to constantly seek out the right amount of input device movement to maximise turning. So the technique is to keep the stick fully over, and modulate brake and throttle to adjust line. Again, I felt like I was much more accurate in those corners.

3. Physical effort is reduced, and I felt this freed my brainpower up to focus more on the actual driving.

4. Where the wheel totally wins is when you are at full throttle and want to steer by less than full movement of the controller stick. There's no contest there, the wheel is far superior. This is why in the current Forza 7 monthly rivals, which is an IndyCar around an oval, I was top 12% with a controller, then did a lot of moving about of the Xbox and cables to try it with the wheel, and was top <0.1% with the wheel, you just scrub so much less speed off with the wheel, which of course is why people find the wheel better for tyre wear in GT Sport.

BUT, as I said, despite feeling in so many places like I was doing better with the controller, my times weren't faster, they were a touch slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back