"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Race C is Catalunya. Awesome. Pretty Challenging circuit. You need to be in rhythm here or you are gonna be a tortoise.

Started with AMG. Absymal 1:48:4 :( Had one race. Started 13th and finished 7th coz i didnt pit while some did. I finished 31 secs behind the leader :( R8 is the car to go seeing the leader boards but i dont like that car. Lets how i do in AMG :P

The R8 is only the car to go for qualifying tho, too weak on fuel for the race

Cones - Check
Corner Markers - Check
Racing Line - Check
ABS - Check
Traction Control - Mostly Check

Though these days that's it. None of that stability management or countersteering guff anymore. I'm a big boy now...
I have dropped the racing line, I found it more a hindrance than a help. Cones will soon go too, as they tend to fly as soon as the race starts and then I frantically looks for brake markers. Better off finding those that stays. But the rest I have too.

Anyway on today's daily races... No entries because of technical issues with the game and partially because I felt humiliated by being a victim of carnages. It was kind of disheartening to give up halfway there.

Either way I didn't manage to get a timed lap as I was busy learning the power curves of a turbo/supercharged Gr.3 car. Have been practicing hard on cars up to 300bhp without any traction control. It was bloody fun mess and interesting to learn various types of engines.

Currently I'm naturally rated up to 400bhp turbo and Gr.4 NA at my best, but only in certain circuits. Street and time attacks are still my weakness to cover on.

Have to cover up more of my throttle skills with Gr.4 SC and above. And perhaps learn some Gr.B crazy turbos.

hahahahaha the bouncing cones. Yes, they are fantastic. I love when a cone is hit about 200 meters in front of me and comes bouncing right at me and hits the windshield. I also love how some cars will actually go air born if you run over a cone.

Corner Markers, ABS and Cones for me. The Racing line I find distracting. I feel like I'm watching the line instead of keeping my eyes up at what's in front of me. TCS? depends on the car, but for the most part, I have it off.

Speaking of black screens and fluky things, I've had 2 weird things happen to me in the last 2 weeks.

1st was 2 weeks ago, we sat on the starting grid, for no joke, 5 mins. Half the grid dropped off because they thought the game was broken.

2nd, and this references the black screen, but during the "warm up" last week, at one point, the screen was black except for the HUD. I can hear the cars and see my HUD, but the screen was black.
Same here, almost all the grid got kicked out of servers because they had errors.

I had the same issue as you on the 2nd case, where my screen went black but I could use the HUD and drive blindly around the circuit. I had to withdraw my race entries because of this stupid issue.
Another issue is that the camera was stuck at one position when in lobby spectator mode, in which I had to delete temp data and it was resolved for now.

I wonder if the game updates does patches things up, or it just opened another can of worms for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Racing line I find distracting. I feel like I'm watching the line instead of keeping my eyes up at what's in front of me.

I find the last thing I need when I'm braking from 200mph with 4 cars around is more visual information. Less is more.

Yes and no. Most of the tracks I race I probably don't need it. But there's been a few recently that I had or still have no idea about, i.e. the Sardegnas, Willows, Nordschleife etc. There I found it useful for reference.

But its just a faff to go through the options and turn it off. So I leave it on. I'm pretty good at focussing through it when I don't need to. I grew up with enough second hand cars in my youth where the windscreen wipers were pretty ineffective!

Traction Control - If it's not a prototype hypersupercar, you're not trying to save tyres in a race car, it's not the kart or it's not the start of a grid start race, Turn. It. Off. I suppose I could forgive you if it's group 3, I think TCS 1 can be a bit of a hack in certain situations.

Yes, but we all know that your version of a good race is one where 90% is completed sideways :lol:

In fairness I only use TCS 2 on the Gr.3 Vantage and last time out in Gr.4 at Big Willy we were driving the Evo and the Jag vanilla. I don't drive a lot else. So we're getting there!

I'm a B/C driver, ran one race on this one in a Lexus with no regard to fuel/tyres. Picked up about 3 places despite a pit stop....
I've only seen people lose out by stopping in the races I've done. Tyre drop off seems to be low and the pitlane takes a long time. I saw somebody pit from 3rd and end up fighting to get back into the top 10. If you can make it work for you though I bet it's a lot more fun.

I personally love the flow of Catalunya. It’s a fantastic track imo. I’ve had excellent racing on that circuit in the past.
Today was coffee and RACING, not hotlaps.
I made a switch to the AMG, I like certain aspects of it better than the vette here. I can run tcs and be almost as fast as vette no tcs. TCS can save your butt! If you get into contact, or just are really into trying to squeeze that throttle to get a run on a guy and overlook it a touch, you are not frying tires and sliding semi out of control. You can always turn it off if you need to...
Anyways took a while to warm up and get the pace. This track for me is like Suzuka in that way for me. I need 10-12 laps to find the pace...
Race 1. Strong room, starting in the fifth position and I am PUNTED turn 1, like wtf. It was not a mistake either, so I ended up using a lot of fuel trying to claw my way back, then had a spin and track cut pen as well, more from getting used to the car in race...Never have entered up in the AMG. Had some choice words for the perp after the race...25 minutes, and you punt me turn 1? What a maroon!
Another entry was inevitable after that debacle.
Again start five. This one was a gem...I learned from race 1 it was a no stop. Let’s do this...
To me this is racing. The tires and machinery have limits, and you have a o use fuel strategically, to both avoid being caugh, and if you are gonna make a move you better make it stick the first time...
Tires are not just at their peak of stickiness at all times, and you can’t banzai.
I held fifth solid until the beginning of lap five where I made a move on a 911 on the front straight. However he made a strong challenge at the end of the lap and I conceded into the hairpin. See that’s what I love about this race you have to be smart. Had I fought, it would have brought the fellas behind into the mix...As it was lap six I had a moment, going sideways around turn five and lost a bit of time. It gave the AMG behind me hope...Lap seven passes and the 911 in fifth spun sitting four... fairly tight top six...
The AMG behind me is pushing hard and I am fourth behind a Dodge.
Into lap nine...12345 all together but spaced enough ...
Again turn five...I almost got even with the Dodge trying to squeeze his line tight into turn five...He’s defending well, but the rears lock a bit, the slight slowing is the opening the S American behind was waiting for and he dives past me sideswiping me, so I shove him into the sand turn six, taking my four seconds happily.
I get by the Dodge on the front straight, knowing full well I have a pen to serve so I push hard...
I’m able to pull a 2 sec or so gap, serve it up and barely hold fourth, the 911 is back within striking distance...
Lap ten finishes...Final lap....
I’m in a good place, tires pretty good, plenty of fuel to rev out a bit...
I want that podium!
I’m within a car length of the Dodge, brakes failed him on that last left hairpin with a smokin lockup! I take third, finished 2.5 behind the winner...
Great race.
I like these races whee you can’t just banzai. I’m consistent, but lack that extra 1.5 to 2 seconds qual place needed to start at the front on most tracks...I appreciate a race like this where the tension slowly builds, and making a move is a big deal...
To me it’s way more fun than banzai and bump by sprint races.
Have a good day gentlemen!

Hey guys,

I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks to check on general tips and strategies for the daily races and decided to finally create an account here.

I got GTS at launch and played mostly offline, tried Sport mode for a bit, but didn't fall in love with it. After a long time off the game, decided to try the "new" League mode, almost finishing it now. But, since I had also created a second PSN account, chose to focus that one on Sport mode. After some careful initial races to escape SR B purgatorium, I'm having a great time, enjoying both my quali sessions and the races.

Usually I stick to race B, since I prefer Gr4/Gr3 racecars and I'm not too fond of the usual fuel-saving effort race C demands.

Managed to climb in 20 races or so to B/S, which seems to be my ideal habitat. But maaaybe A DR is within reach, with some help :)

This week, just had a quick qualifying session for the B race, so far 1:53:4XX with the 4C. I quite like the little thing, so nimble. First race was kinda boring though, started and finished 2nd. Pole was way above my league, lost 1.5s a lap to him, while some chaos or mistakes from 3rd made my race a lonely affair.

Understood. But I use these things. :lol:
12incone.jpg
Oh I remember when I used these little orange devils and all the times they sent my car flying.

Hey guys,

I've been lurking this thread for a few weeks to check on general tips and strategies for the daily races and decided to finally create an account here.

I got GTS at launch and played mostly offline, tried Sport mode for a bit, but didn't fall in love with it. After a long time off the game, decided to try the "new" League mode, almost finishing it now. But, since I had also created a second PSN account, chose to focus that one on Sport mode. After some careful initial races to escape SR B purgatorium, I'm having a great time, enjoying both my quali sessions and the races.

Usually I stick to race B, since I prefer Gr4/Gr3 racecars and I'm not too fond of the usual fuel-saving effort race C demands.

Managed to climb in 20 races or so to B/S, which seems to be my ideal habitat. But maaaybe A DR is within reach, with some help :)

This week, just had a quick qualifying session for the B race, so far 1:53:4XX with the 4C. I quite like the little thing, so nimble. First race was kinda boring though, started and finished 2nd. Pole was way above my league, lost 1.5s a lap to him, while some chaos or mistakes from 3rd made my race a lonely affair.
Welcome aboard! :gtpflag:

Ok fellow enthusiasts. Had some time to test the honda at daily A.
This time took the replay from the actual game screen, so you can see better the inputs etc.
Tryes to adjust the BB on fly, and managed to cut .1 sec of my qualy.
But most important thing, was that it was much more easy to keep consistent in T1.
Q time 1:04.270 opt was x:xx.17x

Oh, and Pigems, you can't test this, you are fast enough allready :cheers:

Ok fellow enthusiasts. Had some time to test the honda at daily A.
This time took the replay from the actual game screen, so you can see better the inputs etc.
Tryes to adjust the BB on fly, and managed to cut .1 sec of my qualy.
But most important thing, was that it was much more easy to keep consistent in T1.
Q time 1:04.270 opt was x:xx.17x

Oh, and Pigems, you can't test this, you are fast enough allready :cheers:

Nice Lap man!! :cheers: I’m in the car right now on my way home from work so I can’t watch the clip atm. What and where were you changing the BB to and from?

Reactions: Qyn
Haven't set a lap on Autopolis yet, it's a track i still have to learn, but i find ~1% Region Gap to be achievable on all tracks with the DS4. There's definitely a difference, based on watching wheel replays, on how smooth you can take a corner and transition into the next one with the controller (which will hurt on Autopolis for sure), but it's not a deal-breaker.
I always see you at the top of the leaderboard so well done sir. Had no idea you were on the DS4.
<-- Raises hand

Well done! Guess it's time for me to stop whining and get good like the rest of you.

I tried race C with no-quali a few times. Picked up plenty of places both times the majority of which where players quitting after being punted, punting, or forced slowing for penalties. I don't think fuel saving on a track with limited overtaking spots works well.

I might try race B or lobbys instead this week.

last weeks A race, I noticed some were using TC 1 for the standing start. full throttle and the brake bar nothing (implying no braking), as soon as race starts, car takes off. is this some kind of launch control "trick"? i have used TC 1 for standing starts before, but with full brake/full throttle, brake lift at start, which did not work very well for last weeks race A, as I was getting passed

I did 6 races and never made it through T1 better than last, including a false start, lots of contact in that one, would have been better had the back of the field not gotten by me at the start....

last weeks A race, I noticed some were using TC 1 for the standing start. full throttle and the brake bar nothing (implying no braking), as soon as race starts, car takes off. is this some kind of launch control "trick"? i have used TC 1 for standing starts before, but with full brake/full throttle, brake lift at start, which did not work very well for last weeks race A, as I was getting passed

I did 6 races and never made it through T1 better than last, including a false start, lots of contact in that one, would have been better had the back of the field not gotten by me at the start....

I'm not aware of a trick but they were probably using the handbrake rather than the foot brake. I do this myself as it's easier when using a wheel to just hold and release a button on the wheel rather than hold the foot brake down.

Reaction speed plays into it too and some (I guess) anticipate the lights going out for a flying start. I had one last week too where it felt like I timed it pretty well, yet the car behind got an absolute flyer off the line.

I didn't use TC with the Mazda last week but usually do for grid starts with more powerful cars.

The new round of Time Trial is supposed to happens tomorrow. This mode does not affect the DR.
Prizes? Well, there could be a prize according to the ranking position... 💡

I thought it would affect DR, since everything else does... And I'd hope for some sort of prize or in-game stat tracking at least (like a K' Speed Score equivalent) or else the new mode would feel rather lackluster if there isn't any.

I'm not aware of a trick but they were probably using the handbrake rather than the foot brake. I do this myself as it's easier when using a wheel to just hold and release a button on the wheel rather than hold the foot brake down.

Reaction speed plays into it too and some (I guess) anticipate the lights going out for a flying start. I had one last week too where it felt like I timed it pretty well, yet the car behind got an absolute flyer off the line.

I didn't use TC with the Mazda last week but usually do for grid starts with more powerful cars.

I recall the TC being particularly useful at the recent FF-only Gr.4 race at Nurburgring GP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back