"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had just two and a half hours to play and spent nearly all of if fiddling with the liery editor:

6206062543793848324_0.jpg

Here's the link.

In the end, I did one race and found two things:

- I can manage to finish the Barcelona race without stops
- But doing so ruins my pace because I focus so much on short-shifting which makes me error prone, driving like an idiot missing apexes and breaking points that I wouldn't otherwise. Starting from eight, I could have won, I reckon.

So, tips? Which is best short shifting with the engine mapping set to maximum power, or starve the engine so you don't have to be so aggresive with the gear changes? Or should I just drop this economic run altogheter and go full banzai?
My above post, a couple pages back, saw me no stop and finish 4th from 12th in the Atenza. Full throttle from start to finish, with good tyre wear. TCS 2, Max power, BB 0, DS4.

I don't want to be that guy, but in my opinion the daily races this week are no fun.

Race A: These Oldtimers or normal cars in general with comfort sofort tires and all are just not my cup of tea, no fun to drive for me.

Race B: Absolutely hate the track

Race C: Don't really like the track tho it is kind of OK, but the settings already make 90% of cars unviable against equally skilled opponents. You can't just turn up Tirewear or Fuel consumption x 10 and act like a 10 lap race becomes a 100 lap race. If you want to drive a car that has to pit, you are simply not going to make up that time in 10 laps and we have these kind of settings so often, it really really annoys me. They should either put in a mandatory Pit or make the race long enough to make up the time if you have to pit because right now it is not about strategizing or making a car you want to drive work, just finding a car that is good on fuel consumption to make it through without a stop.
What are other peoples opinions on this?

I don't want to be that guy, but in my opinion the daily races this week are no fun.

Race A: These Oldtimers or normal cars in general with comfort sofort tires and all are just not my cup of tea, no fun to drive for me.

Race C: Don't really like the track tho it is kind of OK, but the settings already make 90% of cars unviable against equally skilled opponents. You can't just turn up Tirewear or Fuel consumption x 10 and act like a 10 lap race becomes a 100 lap race. If you want to drive a car that has to pit, you are simply not going to make up that time in 10 laps and we have these kind of settings so often, it really really annoys me. They should either put in a mandatory Pit or make the race long enough to make up the time if you have to pit because right now it is not about strategizing or making a car you want to drive work, just finding a car that is good on fuel consumption to make it through without a stop.

I agree with the old time cars. I grew up learning to drive on these things and trying to take them around a track I've been practicing with Group 3 or faster just seems frustrating. I appreciate the need to make 100% smooth laps but not something I'm there with yet. As for Race B, just grumpy with the idea of the META cars. 4C killed me a few times last time and I just seem to be one of those guys who can never make the car of choice work and end up managing my results with oddball mixes. I know I need to smooth my inputs a bit more, but when it's a week where I'll only get about 3-4 hours racing and practice combined all week I don't have that kind of patience. Race C isn't too bad, but I absolutely hate that track, to my way of thinking I feel it flows worse than Autopolis. Oh well.

For Race B I went and looked back, my best lap with the 4C this morning was 2.5 sec slower than me in the Scirocco months ago, but I know that won't work the way things are sitting this week. Time for hopes that my experimentation will work, otherwise I'll be lapping Catalunya and cussing a fit every time I work for my pace through the last chicane.

Keeps it interesting though. If it was always my favourite types of races I wouldn't improve. I know that from when I started online racing I have drastically improved. Went back to circuit experience and Mission challenges where I struggled to max at all silver about 5 months ago and blasted most to easy gold rankings on first try. Rarely had to try a second time. So despite the ugly tracks I find putting in the time on them does end up helping me overall.

Probably going to be Race C for me this week. I hate Autopolis with passion no matter the car. Terrible track.

C is much more flowy and feels a lot better to lap. Quali'd at 1:49.7xx so far, and hoping to shave another second off that time. Should be good enough for this week.
Did you run a race with that Q time? If yes where were you with it on the grid?

feels like an eternity since i 'daily raced'... so last night i did a couple of qualy laps at Autopsy and thought sod this, let's race! QT was poor at 1:55.xxx so started 14th ish in the Megane (not the trophy). Mayhem ensued obviously and Moses greeted me with open arms as people battled to the death on the track ahead. I think that one finished 7th or 8th with some scrappy but penalty free laps.
Improved my QT to mid 54's and jumped in the TT, this time starting 3rd behind a couple of Trophy's.. that was a breeze with top 3 finishing as we started about 5 seconds ahead of the pack.
Final race and i'm down to 1:53.3xx and still not touched a meta, so thrown to the lions amongst a mix of A+/A/B/C/D... don't you just love the sound of cars hitting each other around you? Music to my ears. Can't even remember where i finished in that race.. it was about 1am :crazy:
I was just about to call it a night, when i noticed Race A was starting in a few minutes... what could possibly go wrong? First lap of QT saw me post a lightning 1:58.xxx as i ate some fruit and took in the sights of Suzuka... scraped together a low 1:05 before the start and away we go! Held on for dear life for 2 laps before Starsky & Hutch took over and sent me on a powerslide into turn 1 which lasted about a week. Came last. :gtpflag:

Race C is a strange one this week in that there isn't a lot of racing going on. Everybody is saving fuel to make it so the pace is not hot, the tyres have to be cared for because of all the long corners (I think temps are a bigger issue than wear). The tightness of the track doesn't help overtaking either, you need a big pace advantage to make places.

I've had a couple of podiums in the Huracan but it feels like everybody is just driving to their own race plan.

Don't like the Catalunya track at all. Every time I try it, I get bored within 5 minutes. It's pan flat with a series of similar second gear corners, and that that final chicane is awful. I cant get motivated to put in a decent qualifying effort.

Race A is kind of fun, but I need to master the last corner. Losing a lot of time there. I am still in the 1:05's, which puts me at the back of the grid in most races.

Current qualifying efforts:

Race B: 1:52.363 (Using the Trophy, no I'm not proud of myself). Currently 130th.
Race C: 1:47.707. Currently 1738th.

I am, if nothing else, horribly inconsistent :lol:

Just need to put some more laps into Catalunya, but as like @Steer I'm really not enjoying the track.

Funny no love for catalunya but everyone would be creaming themselves for spa.
Spa is literally one corner. I don't get what's so great about it, I would much rather have Silverstone, but that might just be patriotism talking.

Catalunya is alright. I like the middle sector after the lefty hairpin, nice fast corners and then that difficult acute left, try to exit in a straight line and get up the hill, drop it into the chicanes and swing it through. It's a nice track to drive IMO. I think a lot of people don't like it because it isn't very easy to go side by side and overtake. I also think a lot of people don't like it because F1 drivers and pundits always complain that it's a bad track, but that's just for F1. It's a great circuit for other categories especially bikes.

The only thing keeping me away from race C is that it's a fuel saver.

Don't like the Catalunya track at all. Every time I try it, I get bored within 5 minutes. It's pan flat with a series of similar second gear corners, and that that final chicane is awful. I cant get motivated to put in a decent qualifying effort.

Race A is kind of fun, but I need to master the last corner. Losing a lot of time there. I am still in the 1:05's, which puts me at the back of the grid in most races.
Same here, mate. I find Catalunya extremely boring and no fun at all. It's hands down the worst track in the game for me (maybe even in the world, who knows). Just endless corners over and over. Did about 15 laps when it came out on GTS and haven't touched it since. Combined with the high tyre wear and fuel saving, this race is just a big "NO THANKS" for me. I'd much rather watch paint dry.

Last edited:
I really like race C, sensible settings that have an effect but don't dominate, no obvious meta, and a track that keeps you busy...I'm doing them on my second account, starting at the back and have had some great races, finishing in the top ten is a real challenge! There's some really fast people in this combo.

Spa is literally one corner. I don't get what's so great about it
That one corner is two - Eau Rouge and Raidillon - and it isn't. Aside from the Campus chicane, which could be any chicane anywhere on any track, every bit of Spa is brilliant. 170mph down Kemmel, huge braking at Les Combes, off camber at Bruxelles, the run down to the double-apex, off-camber Pouhon, full throttle from Stavelot through the sweeping corners at Blanchimont, huge braking again at Bus Stop... it's a great circuit.

Also I drove it in real life in a Nissan GT-R, for the launch of the 2017MY car. We got red-flagged for noise, and after solving it (driving past the track mic on the pit straight in 6th gear at part throttle at 50mph) I boiled the brake fluid.

That one corner is two - Eau Rouge and Raidillon - and it isn't. Aside from the Campus chicane, which could be any chicane anywhere on any track, every bit of Spa is brilliant. 170mph down Kemmel, huge braking at Les Combes, off camber at Bruxelles, the run down to the double-apex, off-camber Pouhon, full throttle from Stavelot through the sweeping corners at Blanchimont, huge braking again at Bus Stop... it's a great circuit.

Also I drove it in real life in a Nissan GT-R, for the launch of the 2017MY car. We got red-flagged for noise, and after solving it (driving past the track mic on the pit straight in 6th gear at part throttle at 50mph) I boiled the brake fluid.
I don't necessarily think it's a bad circuit, but those two corners are really its only unique feature to my mind, and even then I've never really understood what's so great about those two bends. From my experience (gaming only) I always hated the last chicane and the hairpin. From what I've seen on TV Spa looks like a great place to go as a spectator, I definitely intend to check out the real deal one day.

I do feel like Spa is put on a serious pedestal around these parts, though. I'm pretty sure if it were added to GTS we'd soon end up with threads full of posts complaining about people not going through Eau Rouge properly, people getting shunted off at the Bus Stop, same as any other circuit. Spa wouldn't just automatically deliver the best racing we've ever had in the dailies.

I don't mean to come across as contrarian or whatever, I think Spa is a good track, but I don't understand what makes it so much better than other great real world circuits we don't have yet, like Silverstone or Laguna Seca, or even somewhere lesser known like Oulton Park. I wouldn't begrudge it being added and people being happy about it, but it wouldn't interest me more than any other circuit.

the pace is not hot, the tyres have to be cared for because of all the long corners (I think temps are a bigger issue than wear).
Lots of play on words here. It's something I've thought about with this game.

Does time of day have an effect on tyre temperature and road surface? I notice in Race C tyre wear is 7x at 19:30 Sunny. In the NAtions race at the same track, tyre wear is 15x at 10:30 Fine weather. In the Manufacturers race at St Croix, it's 13x at 15:10 Fine weather.

Another thing is about Autopolis. It's a fantastic equaliser. Many fast players I've raced against, it brings them back to me. I enjoy it just for that reason. The corners throw some players for a loop. The same way Dragon Trail Gardens throws many off. I love the "unorthodox" tracks.

I'm pretty sure if it were added to GTS we'd soon end up with threads full of posts complaining about people not going through Eau Rouge properly, people getting shunted off at the Bus Stop, same as any other circuit.
The last five words are key there; it doesn't matter what track is added, people will be asshats at it online.

Of course the current Spa layout, made friendly for fragile F1 cars which throw themselves about if there isn't tarmac on their tyres, might be poorer for that. The huge run-offs at Pouhon and Blanchimont would enable some cockery, people would bitch about not being able to take the Vettel line through Raidillon (although they would call it Eau Rouge), and the Bus Stop would be Ground Zero for revenge poleaxing.

I think Spa is a good track, but I don't understand what makes it so much better than other great real world circuits we don't have yet, like Silverstone
Elevation changes :D
or Laguna Seca
Laguna Seca is pretty much a hairpin, then the same corner three times (right, right, left), CORKSCREW, that same corner again (right) and then a 90-degree left onto the straight. It does have one similar feature to Spa though, with one of the worst pitlane entries and exits in the entire universe.
or even somewhere lesser known like Oulton Park.
Again, Oulton Park is the same corner four times (right at Old Hall, left at Cascades, right at Druids, right - albeit tighter - at Lodge), with a technical chicane to square it off on the short course, or a hairpin with straights either side on the full course. It's a square or a saucepan. Good bike track, good classics track, but likely no less poor in online play as idiots send you so far into the fields you might as well become a scarecrow.

My above post, a couple pages back, saw me no stop and finish 4th from 12th in the Atenza. Full throttle from start to finish, with good tyre wear. TCS 2, Max power, BB 0, DS4.

Interesting, I remember getting good first impressions from the Atenza in the circuit experience bit, seemed extremely stable. I'll try it later for sure.

The hard thing will be leaving the 911 on the garage.

I like Race A this week and anything with Autopolis on is just a waste of time.

But I'm with you about the Race C. I'm fairly new at this game and daily racing and seems to me that all races are way too short, maybe as a way to entice a more casual audience. But in any case, specially in the C race, this forces people to go in the economic run route because the other option - going at the limit for making up the time you are gonna loose on the stops - isn't viable.

It's fun race with your feet right up most of the time so you won't need to stop? Off course it is, just not all the time. They should rethink things and start to make at least Race C a bit longer so people could actually plan and strategize.

Longer Cs would work even as a way to redirect the more casual audience to the shorter events. Short races also play a role in making the guy who wants to win at any cost - the type who thinks fun is winning in multiplayer games after more than a decade of Call of Duty - to drive you off of track, since he wants to get ahead early because there isn't that much time to wait around for the race to develop.

Last edited:
Started oin pole in the Atenza. Dudes couldn't even give me a clean first few corners! Tapping me, bumping me and I decided to hit back. Just unruly stuff. Mainly a Slophy show, but for real? I knew the Atenza can't match the MR cars. Didn't get a chance to be easy. Pure stupidity. Hope I'm pole again.
EB1-r1JUcAE_KjI

Famine
Again, Oulton Park is the same corner four times (right at Old Hall, left at Cascades, right at Druids, right - albeit tighter - at Lodge), with a technical chicane to square it off on the short course, or a hairpin with straights either side on the full course. It's a square or a saucepan. Good bike track, good classics track, but likely no less poor in online play as idiots send you so far into the fields you might as well become a scarecrow.

Elevation changes, though :D

All in all I agree, Spa would be welcome, I just dunno how healthy it is to obsess as much over one track as this forum does (although I get that a lot of it is pure memery at this point.) Perhaps if I, like you, had driven around it, I might be more enamoured with it, makes sense. Thanks for pitching in as it's always nice to hear that first-hand experience. I myself will try to remain excited for any and all new content for GTS - it's free after all and that is a blessed thing in today's world. I don't see us getting Spa personally, it's too much money in licensing to spend on a DLC so long after the game launched. I would tuck it away and renegotiate with the track owners to get it put in on release for the next game, guaranteed pre-orders and sales if they can market GT20XX (or whatever they call it) with a big fat shiny Spa advert.

I'll try and find a way to enjoy what we get, whatever it is. I love the Sardegna tracks, particularly B, and Goodwood is a blast in the Stratos, so I'm sure whatever they add, I'll find a use for. Thanks for chiming in, but for argument's sake, Oulton Park would be a top notch addition for Gr. 4 if you ask me, but I agree if you compare the BTCC and BSB races there, it's easy to see why it's thought of as a bike track. Catalunya too. Maybe just.. Give us bikes?

Loving the Gr 3 race at Barcelona in the Hamster 'Vette..........2 wins out of 2 races so far........

I'm glad *someone* has a handle on the 'vette. I just couldn't keep it on the track long enough to make any gains :crazy:.

Spa is literally one corner. I don't get what's so great about it, I would much rather have Silverstone, but that might just be patriotism talking.

You have Brands Hatch and Goodwood.... don't be greedy! :rolleyes:

I'm glad *someone* has a handle on the 'vette. I just couldn't keep it on the track long enough to make any gains :crazy:.

You have Brands Hatch and Goodwood.... don't be greedy! :rolleyes:
But no Silverstone, Oulton Park, Thruxton, Donnington, TopGear Test track, Brooklands, Wales Rally Great Orne stage, Canteen road from my house to Wroxall, and basically this game is trash and they should take Bathurst out in favour of a Portsmouth street circuit ;)

I dropped a GT-R there at 111mph.

On my good lap a couple of laps before I also blew through 140mph running up through Brooklands, which had the instructors (and pro driver Ricardo Sanchez, of GT Academy-winning fame) looking at the telemetry because, according to them, it was about the same top speed there as a GT-R GT3:

upload_2019-8-13_11-54-31.png

I dropped a GT-R there at 111mph.

On my good lap a couple of laps before I also blew through 140mph running up through Brooklands, which had the instructors (and pro driver Ricardo Sanchez, of GT Academy-winning fame) looking at the telemetry because, according to them, it was about the same top speed there as a GT-R GT3:

Trying to click on the play button, "Why is it not working?" :lol:

Time to go back to Specsavers me thinks. :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back