"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
We may have veered of topic similar to the way cars veer off at Oulton Park...
But it would be an absolute blast to have that course in the game.
Thruxton as well. And throw in the late '90s cars.
Ahhh, I remember that Primera.

I welcome any track in the game, and there isn't one in the game that I hate or despise. I like all of them, pretty much. However, there is one track with which I have a serious issue, and the issue is that it's not in the game.

Daytona

We used to have all four of the most important endurance courses in the world - Sarthe, Nurb', Bathurst, and Daytona.

Is there any official reason stated as to WHY it is not in GTSport?
What thinking? What factors?

My second vote? I don't really know... Indy? COTA? Silverstone? Monaco?

Wow, that Autoolis race sent me down to A/A. Anyway, went 3 seconds faster than my first qualy at Catalunya.
EB2TgHWXoAEYHyd

Edit: That was ridiculous. Don't know which 911 it was, but was bumping people off becasue it was getting passed. As if all other makes aren't competitive.

I got bumped down to a couple spots, but got them back from one of the 911s going off. Then, a 911 wants to pit after ghost rejoining. It slammed into the pit wall after pushing me towards pit entrance.
From there, cars were pitting mid-race. Look at how much fuel I finished with this time. Starting up the front, netted me 1.2 laps more of fuel, than starting from 12th. Atenza ain't the fastest down the straight, but it's got endurance.
EB2YxUXXsAApzg-

Last edited:
IMSA is the sanctioning body for most if not all of our endurance racing in North America .IMSA is owned and controlled by NASCAR . NASCAR has a license agreement with Forza/Microsoft .(Willow Springs is one of the few tracks not controlled by NASCAR) .When PD released GTS without any NASCAR content ,the results are crystal clear. :irked:

Last edited:
Ahhh, I remember that Primera.

Oh, I've gone all gooey inside!

On a track note - I'm just a big fan of real places I've been to or seen. Helps with the whole immersion thing. Part of the reason I dislike the Japanese tracks (oh the blasphemy, please don't disconnect me PD) is because I've never been there and I don't follow any Super GT or Super Formula stuff. So I just don't get them. I only 'like' Autopolis because I'm historically competitive, relatively speaking, but when I first drove it I got lost and had no idea where I was through featureless corner after corner, I have no affinty towards it - talking of boring, does anyone actually like driving around Tokyo's ring roads and highways? I mean, they are just the worst pile of grey.

On the flip side. Whilst I'm like a snail around Catalunya and have every reason to hate it, because I've been there, I really enjoy driving it in game. Same for Le Mans.

I'm not particularly well travelled outside of Europe. So most stuff Stateside or Downunder is also a bit alien to me for the most part unless I've spent a good amount of time watching stuff on TV, and having grown up with F1, for my sins, my view is tarnished. I have watched the odd Bathurst race granted, but I'd much rather do Albert Park, even if its a 'worse' track, because I 'know' it better. Americas-wise, I'd rather race around Montreal or Indy than Laguna Seca. And if we're honest... I didn't actually realise Willow Springs was real until it got featured on Top Gear once upon a time.

They could bring back that really crap Paris City Rally TT track where you bombed up and down the Champs-Élysées for all I care. Possibly the worst track for actually racing on, but I'd sit there in front of the Arc d'Triomph quite happily stewing in nostalgia and memory...

So I guess to some extent we're all going to enjoy stuff differently based on how we approach the game, right? :scared:

Lots of play on words here. It's something I've thought about with this game.

Does time of day have an effect on tyre temperature and road surface? I notice in Race C tyre wear is 7x at 19:30 Sunny. In the NAtions race at the same track, tyre wear is 15x at 10:30 Fine weather. In the Manufacturers race at St Croix, it's 13x at 15:10 Fine weather.
I haven't noticed it myself but it wouldn't surprise me, I think PD simulate lots more than we know about. If there is a track temperature in game I would assume it effects grip/wear, maybe even engine power.

I haven't noticed it myself but it wouldn't surprise me, I think PD simulate lots more than we know about. If there is a track temperature in game I would assume it effects grip/wear, maybe even engine power.

I’ve gone into different tracks on different time settings with cars that have a temp gauge on the dash and it always reads 20*, even though it shows different temps during loading screens. So either all times of day are the same temps or the dash temp gauges don’t work. In WRS they let us run any time of day as well, that tells
Me there is no grip/temp difference between different times of day. :)

Does time of day have an effect on tire temperature and road surface?
I tested that theory a couple of weeks ago in Time Trial mode. It seems like time of day and temperature certainly should be factored into handling and performance.

It would take a while to explain the methodology I used in my test, but I was able to conclude that time/temp don't have any affect in the game. So, when practicing you won't have to worry about using the same time of day as the race.

I tested that theory a couple of weeks ago in Time Trial mode. It seems like time of day and temperature certainly should be factored into handling and performance.

It would take a while to explain the methodology I used in my test, but I was able to conclude that time/temp don't have any affect in the game. So, when practicing you won't have to worry about using the same time of day as the race.
Though it is useful if you end up using shadows for some of your braking points

That corkscrew with the current penalty system :eek:

It'd be utter chaos. In the other hand, would be a pretty useful way for thinning out the field, since it would get most people off guard regularly.

I never complain about the penalty system, it is what it is, there is only so much you can do in software to handle such things that are subject to different points of view in a extremely short amount of time. But the track limit nonsense in Catalunya is straight up 🤬. I've been hit by those 0.5sec for pretty mundane curb clippings that I'm absolutely sure didn't gave me any advantage whatsoever, specially on the run down to that disgusting last chicane.

But no Silverstone, Oulton Park, Thruxton, Donnington, TopGear Test track, Brooklands, Wales Rally Great Orne stage, Canteen road from my house to Wroxall, and basically this game is trash and they should take Bathurst out in favour of a Portsmouth street circuit ;)
Mantorp Park, Anderstorp Speedway, Sviestad Motor Stadion, Karlskoga Motor Stadion, Kinnekulle Ring, Ring Knutstorp are also missing

I don't want to be that guy, but in my opinion the daily races this week are no fun.

Race A: These Oldtimers or normal cars in general with comfort sofort tires and all are just not my cup of tea, no fun to drive for me.

Race B: Absolutely hate the track

Race C: Don't really like the track tho it is kind of OK, but the settings already make 90% of cars unviable against equally skilled opponents. You can't just turn up Tirewear or Fuel consumption x 10 and act like a 10 lap race becomes a 100 lap race. If you want to drive a car that has to pit, you are simply not going to make up that time in 10 laps and we have these kind of settings so often, it really really annoys me. They should either put in a mandatory Pit or make the race long enough to make up the time if you have to pit because right now it is not about strategizing or making a car you want to drive work, just finding a car that is good on fuel consumption to make it through without a stop.
What are other peoples opinions on this?

1. I actually like using older cars on a short track, such as Suzuka East. I recall a Mini Cooper daily on Monza and it was a disaster. @sturk0167 do you remember this?

2. Autopolis, I was meh at first, but as I keep doing Qualifying laps, the more and more I like it. I think it's the kind of track that keeps really fast drivers in check with all of the corners, can make the race more competitive up and down the grid.

3. I've always thought Race C was a bit contrived with the idea of a pit stop and using a high multiplier for Tire wear and fuel consumption. Just make the race 20 laps, lessen the multipliers and then we'll have some real strategy involved. IMO.

Spa is literally one corner. I don't get what's so great about it, I would much rather have Silverstone, but that might just be patriotism talking.

Watkins Glen, Indianapolis, Road Atlanta, Circuit of The Americas and of course Laguna Seca. However, that could be my patriotism talking :D

Same here, mate. I find Catalunya extremely boring and no fun at all. It's hands down the worst track in the game for me (maybe even in the world, who knows). Just endless corners over and over. Did about 15 laps when it came out on GTS and haven't touched it since. Combined with the high tyre wear and fuel saving, this race is just a big "NO THANKS" for me. I'd much rather watch paint dry.

Worse than Stage X?

I dropped a GT-R there at 111mph.

On my good lap a couple of laps before I also blew through 140mph running up through Brooklands, which had the instructors (and pro driver Ricardo Sanchez, of GT Academy-winning fame) looking at the telemetry because, according to them, it was about the same top speed there as a GT-R GT3:

That track looks like a longer version of Goodwind.

Understood. But I use these things. :lol:
12incone.jpg

z28 would call you a scrub for using those :lol: but I also use them and the Markers, so I'm an even bigger scrub :gtpflag:

Race C is a strange one this week in that there isn't a lot of racing going on. Everybody is saving fuel to make it so the pace is not hot, the tyres have to be cared for because of all the long corners (I think temps are a bigger issue than wear). The tightness of the track doesn't help overtaking either, you need a big pace advantage to make places.

I've had a couple of podiums in the Huracan but it feels like everybody is just driving to their own race plan.
I'm a B/C driver, ran one race on this one in a Lexus with no regard to fuel/tyres. Picked up about 3 places despite a pit stop....

I'm finding this type of behavior all too common in the daily races. It just makes me not want to race. The other night I entered a 7:30 pm Race B and it was nothing but constant ramming. I went from SR 99 to 77 and received a 4 sec penalty for being used as a ping pong ball. Maybe lobbies are the answer. Really wanted to join @Pigems lobby but had to work late last night.

So reading about everyone making alternate accounts for carefree racing I decided to join the party. I guess I'll use this one to do most of my racing until I find a combo I feel comfortable using my main account on. I do enjoy wringing the most out of a car in qual though. Of course this is the added side effect of starting over. :D

View attachment 842475

Feel free to add me, PSN is Chevy_SpeedKing
Well, that's the unfortunate thing that is happening and no one gets punished except for the victim.

To add matters worse, my game actually crashed while in lobby selecting cars. Now I'm left with a non-functional lobby where I get a total black screen when entering courses.

Utterly disgusting.

I'm glad *someone* has a handle on the 'vette. I just couldn't keep it on the track long enough to make any gains :crazy:.
The grunty FR cars are my favourites... 'vette, RC F, 'Stang, M4.... they suit my driving style and age induced slow reflexes.

....and they should take Bathurst out in favour of a Portsmouth street circuit ;)
Keep Bathurst and add Phillip Island...(since we seem to be allowed to be partisan ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be utter chaos. In the other hand, would be a pretty useful way for thinning out the field, since it would get most people off guard regularly.

I never complain about the penalty system, it is what it is, there is only so much you can do in software to handle such things that are subject to different points of view in a extremely short amount of time. But the track limit nonsense in Catalunya is straight up 🤬. I've been hit by those 0.5sec for pretty mundane curb clippings that I'm absolutely sure didn't gave me any advantage whatsoever, specially on the run down to that disgusting last chicane.

Hmm, I have no problem with track limits on Catalunya, I find them pretty loose actually. The lines are clearly marked on the road :)

I do have a problem with the penalty system. A car in front of me went wide on the run up to the final chicane, lost control to get back on the road and slid sideways over the track into me knocking me into the grass on the right. I get 3 sec penalty for forcing another car off the road. I had already lost the clean bonus from a bumping Argentinian earlier who rammed me off twice after. (And others as well, he left with a red C)

So yes you can fix that in software. A brake check involves actual braking, if on the gas and bumped from behind it's not a 🤬 brake check. Bumping a car that is sliding out of control, coming from outside track limits, while you on the brakes trying to avoid it, how can that be a 3 sec penalty for forcing a car off road? (The driver responsible apologized and didn't pass at the penalty zone, at least he was a gentleman about it) Clean streak of 8 reset thanks to the BS penalty system.

Let the track limits be strict so people stay on the track and in control of their car. 0.5 sec is too little imo. It should go back to the strict 2 or 3 sec short cut penalties like Monza had. Step one of clean driving, stay on the track. That 0.5 sec is no deterrent as you hardly lose time at the penalty zone, it's only a warning that the next cut will up it to 1.0 sec which does slow you down. Of course punting a car into the sand which loses 10 sec and falls back to last, should not only be a 3 sec penalty either. That Argentinian still placed high up from punting multiple people into the sand traps. Penalties are too low nowadays.

Cones - Check
Corner Markers - Check
Racing Line - Check
ABS - Check
Traction Control - Mostly Check

Though these days that's it. None of that stability management or countersteering guff anymore. I'm a big boy now...
Cones - Turn them off for the actual race
Corner Markers - Fairly harmless I guess
Racing Line - Turn it off
ABS - Don't turn it off.
Traction Control - If it's not a prototype hypersupercar, you're not trying to save tyres in a race car, it's not the kart or it's not the start of a grid start race, Turn. It. Off. I suppose I could forgive you if it's group 3, I think TCS 1 can be a bit of a hack in certain situations.

c'mon Joey m'lad, you'd thank me eventually. I find the last thing I need when I'm braking from 200mph with 4 cars around is more visual information. Less is more.

Race C is Catalunya. Awesome. Pretty Challenging circuit. You need to be in rhythm here or you are gonna be a tortoise.

Started with AMG. Absymal 1:48:4 :( Had one race. Started 13th and finished 7th coz i didnt pit while some did. I finished 31 secs behind the leader :( R8 is the car to go seeing the leader boards but i dont like that car. Lets how i do in AMG :P

There's no shame on it. I use cones as well and I don't care, it helps specially earlier on in the week.

Plus, the cone bouncing physics of this game are amazing.

hahahahaha the bouncing cones. Yes, they are fantastic. I love when a cone is hit about 200 meters in front of me and comes bouncing right at me and hits the windshield. I also love how some cars will actually go air born if you run over a cone.

Cones - Check
Corner Markers - Check
Racing Line - Check
ABS - Check
Traction Control - Mostly Check

Though these days that's it. None of that stability management or countersteering guff anymore. I'm a big boy now...

Corner Markers, ABS and Cones for me. The Racing line I find distracting. I feel like I'm watching the line instead of keeping my eyes up at what's in front of me. TCS? depends on the car, but for the most part, I have it off.

Well, that's the unfortunate thing that is happening and no one gets punished except for the victim.

To add matters worse, my game actually crashed while in lobby selecting cars. Now I'm left with a non-functional lobby where I get a total black screen when entering courses.

Utterly disgusting.

Speaking of black screens and fluky things, I've had 2 weird things happen to me in the last 2 weeks.

1st was 2 weeks ago, we sat on the starting grid, for no joke, 5 mins. Half the grid dropped off because they thought the game was broken.

2nd, and this references the black screen, but during the "warm up" last week, at one point, the screen was black except for the HUD. I can hear the cars and see my HUD, but the screen was black.

Matt_Jones_e86 is usually in the top 10 of every race and he does it on a DS4.

Haven't set a lap on Autopolis yet, it's a track i still have to learn, but i find ~1% Region Gap to be achievable on all tracks with the DS4. There's definitely a difference, based on watching wheel replays, on how smooth you can take a corner and transition into the next one with the controller (which will hurt on Autopolis for sure), but it's not a deal-breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back