"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

  • Thread starter Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,452 comments
  • 1,644,616 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I'm trying to learn and enjoy the red bull ring this week for race B and I'm struggling.

Can someone please give me some pointers regarding a decent car and brake balance combo that won't make every braking zone and subsequent turn-in feel like I'm driving on ice?

I don't need the best of the best, I'd just really like to be able to enjoy the track and lap consistently.
 
Guys, I'm trying to learn and enjoy the red bull ring this week for race B and I'm struggling.

Can someone please give me some pointers regarding a decent car and brake balance combo that won't make every braking zone and subsequent turn-in feel like I'm driving on ice?

I don't need the best of the best, I'd just really like to be able to enjoy the track and lap consistently.

Use the Viper with BB -3. Very stable car to drive.
 
I can't believe they all went into the pit!
XQ5lEK5.jpg

I was 2.5 sec ahead after #2 came out of the pit. He pushed hard to close the gap and took the fastest lap from me in the final lap. (I was doing 3:29 laps at the end) He couldn't catch me though, close finish. No CRB unfortunately, I had to go wide at Indianapolis to avoid 2 cars tangled together but slowed down enough not to get a penalty. Great race!

I went from 12K to 25K DR today, should be back to DR.A tomorrow. Sarthe rocks.
even the guy in TS50 pitted ...........boy that was a gift Is it Christmas already
 
Welcome to the circus. Leave your brain outside. Sit back, relax, as we feed you lies.... yes, the psycho circus that is le mo returns, and the Monday Madness gives way to Terminator Tuesday. Decided to give that old chestnut, the 23 a go. During prequaly I put in a lap that was looking to be almost 2s faster than my time with the big cat, but on the second half of the final chicane, bloody red lights start flashing, slow 🤬 down, and the lap isn't counted... 🤬!! Slow the 🤬 down? This is 🤬 racing, why the 🤬 would I wanna slow the 🤬 down?? Moron!! :mad:

So, I enter the race, and i have just enough qualifying time before the race for one sodding lap :crazy:. 2s off my Jag time, and my target time for yesterday. Sorry @The_Tullster , I'm pullin away from ya mate :O. Match fixing kinda blew goats this time, with 6 of the 17 As or Bs. I started P9.
despite the As and Bs, who are more inclined to "METAism", there was a reasonable mix, including 5 group Cs, one of which was a DR/A in P3. There was sadly however, 7xTS050s :yuck:.

P9 had me starting still turning out of the Ford chicane :banghead:. I trundled up to Dunlop, only to be rudely pushed out of the way by a couple of Mazdas and a Toyota. It wasn't so much dirty as just really 🤬 racecraft. I swear some of these people are so used to hot lapping they have no idea what to do with other cars :crazy:. So with all the pushing and shoving going on, I'm slowly dropping down the field. I had a LM55 rear end a a few times because he couldn't deal with being behind me after I passed them...my opening pre-race comment did warn everyone that I would be braking early :rolleyes:.

I circulated as best as I could, picked up a couple of 0.5s penalties, but my old nemesis, Tertre Rouge, was penalty free for the race 👍. I managed to pick up places when people pitted. I was so close to finishing P8, but a little slippage on worn tyres had the 2s gap behind me get sucked up and I was passed just after Porsche. I finished P9 in the same spot as last night... timed out just meters from the finish line :odd:. Did not run outta fuel 👍. Same as last time, no messing with fuel mapping, short shifting. Wasn't taking corners in taller gears, but changing up as soon as the car was settled.

Blue SR, DR went up by 160, which came as a surprise, I thought I might have lost some points. Not too bad a finish considering I was P15 at one point. Day 3 travelling through the post apocalyptic landscape that is DR/C :odd:.
 
I'm getting closer to my finish time with the no stop 982C.
yNwpteR.jpg

Tough competition in the morning! Mazda definitely wins sound wise and the extra speed to pass on the straight helps when starting from the back. The faster to pass trouble the better. However still a second slower than the race I won with the 962C.

Edit: I matched my 962C race time in the next race. I feel I can still push it further. Best lap of 2:27, passing a R92CP in the last lap through Indianapolis (who pitted as well).
 
Last edited:
Looks like Laguna Seca is coming Thursday, which would make it a reasonable candidate for a daily race next week.

Not sure what the best combo would be (Gr.4 possibly?), but I might come out of my cave for some races if it looks good. Just praying it's not Race C.
 
Just read your findings of the Gr.3 @ RBR. I'm a true Lexus '16 Prototype driver at almost every Gr.3 event. The turn 3 @ RBR is always my weakest point with that car over there. I use tcs 2 in that corner and most of the time i lose traction for a bit or i sometimes go sideways. Now, i've put my stuburn a side and took the AMG. Well, for me it's the most stable car under tcs 2 in that corner that i've used now. Very happy with it. My best with the Lexus is a .30.0. With the AMG it's a .29.8.

Edit: The Lambo and Nismo are way to nervous in general for me.
The WRX is awesome in braking but misses a lot of top end.
The RSR is too slow in general but has awesome brake and turn in.
The Aston is also too nevous on exit and the Jag is the one i gonna try later.
Grtz

Had used my break and started the V(irtual)8 of the Lexus Prototype.

Believe it or not, I had a good feeling with the RCF. Exactly the opposite happened: Was able to cut 0.2 down from my AMG Time. And it was more predictable what the tail of the Lexus will do next at the exit of T3
 
Had another couple of goes with Race B this morning....Bad and good.......



Great penalty system in action as ever!! :cheers: And the one that started it all, didn't even get DR down I imagine....:banghead:

Made up for it in the 2nd one, with a lights to flag win!

78047022_817716452010965_8488732389273501696_n.jpg


But not satisfied with it, as I take 1 step forward, and go two steps back each batch of races I do, thanks to others driving like ends of bells.........Currently on B/B ratings, "ollocks!

Hamster Rant over! :dopey:
 
Last edited:
Not sure what the best combo would be (Gr.4 possibly?)

Gr.4 is a possibility. I didn't watch all of the Monaco Championship but from what I did see: Gr.4 was used for the Manufacturer's event along with a Pro-Am Mazda Roadster one-make race.

Just praying it's not Race C.

I'm the opposite and hoping it's a Race C. I'd prefer that to a 6 minute/3 lap race.

E: There was also a Gr.B Nations race. However PD bringing rally cars back to daily races is unlikely.
 
Last edited:
I'm getting closer to my finish time with the no stop 982C.
yNwpteR.jpg

Tough competition in the morning! Mazda definitely wins sound wise and the extra speed to pass on the straight helps when starting from the back. The faster to pass trouble the better. However still a second slower than the race I won with the 962C.
are you stopping just for splash or can the 787 make it. Think I will give that a go tonight for a bit of a challenge.
 
In cockpit you see more than bumper.
The mirrors, I find them super intuitive and functionally quite effective.

On most cars, I can't even SEE the mirrors, so I don't know how they can be effective. For the ones where the mirrors are visible, the display is in the way. Maybe if I turn off the HUD it can work, but that seems like it's, again, self defeating.

To each his own, but I am not looking to "feel" like I am really racing. If I wanted that, I would go to a real race track. I am virtual racing and I want all the benefits that come with it.

After a while you notice peripherally/subconsciously where the car behind is.
I dunno, like I said for me it works best of all views.
I’d love triple screen most, but even if offered I wouldn’t go there. Too much investment.
I do use a 55 tv and sit right up close so ymmv.
There are buttons you can do to look to side, but seems unneeded to me.
I’ve never had trouble racing closely and clean. Anymore the other views are quite disorienting.

Jmo

It would be nice if they offered a panoramic view of the screen. For those of us with large TV's. The sideview works terrible because there is no soft return to center. You are either viewing to the side or viewing forward, and it snaps. I wanted to put the camera on the right stick so I could look around, but it kind of sucked.

I can't imagine being enclosed in a cockpit and not looking out the side to come extent.

I would love to know how you are seeing the mirrors in the cars. The only rear view I can rely on is the rear facing camera that is some cars. In almost every car I have tried, I can't see the mirrors even if I move the camera as far back in the cockpit as possible.
 
Managed to raise my SR and add some DR at the RBR. Not easy as many people miss their brake markers. key to this race is if you see two folks battling, stay clear, just sit and wait and you will get them both most likely.

It is disappointing that in 5 races i was intentionally punted off, no torpedoed off, twice.

having a frustrating time in qualifying, posted a 31.1 but THREE TIMES butchered a 30.4 by cocking up the last turn dammit. So annoying.
 
I understand your view but Race C was never (or shouldn't had been) intended to be a one-make. If a race turns out that way, that suggests balance issues to me.

I prefer to race against a diverse grid because each car is different: excelling at areas and lacking in others. While also running a different strategy which in turn, makes a race a lot more interesting. When every car is the same and follows the same strategy, that's uninteresting to me.
The chicanes change everything. I remember a while back when we had a no-chicane race at Lemans. The Hybrids were terrible cars to use at that race. Group C cars were dominant.
 
There's gonna be lots of frustration with Laguna, and the run offs........I wonder how the penalty system will work there with track limits? :lol:

I will go out on a limb and say it is the most over rated track in the world. There is almost nowhere to pass, it's basically Brands without the charm.

Why PD isn't doing it's best to get Road America in the game i dunno, it's a wonderful track for actual racing.
 
are you stopping just for splash or can the 787 make it. Think I will give that a go tonight for a bit of a challenge.

Stopping in lap 3 to top up to 2.0 laps, takes about 7.5 seconds compared to not stopping. The 787B can only make it with a lot of short shifting which I don't think is faster over all. The ability to catch up and draft pass early is what gives the 787B the advantage. You don't save that much fuel in the Mazda since you're on the rev limit in 5th most of the time on the straights. FM2 would work but then it loses its speed advantage.

No stop in the 962C, splash and dash in the 787B.
 
Had another couple of goes with Race B this morning....Bad and good.......



Great penalty system in action as ever!! :cheers: And the one that started it all, didn't ever get DR down I imagine....:banghead:

Made up for it in the 2nd one, with a lights to flag win!

View attachment 868850

But not satisfied with it, as I take 1 step forward, and go two steps back each batch of races I do, thanks to others driving like ends of bells.........Currently on B/B ratings, "ollocks!

Hamster Rant over! :dopey:


what did you expect with such reckless driving. Absolute disregard for your fellow drivers :lol::lol:
 
Stopping in lap 3 to top up to 2.0 laps, takes about 7.5 seconds compared to not stopping. The 787B can only make it with a lot of short shifting which I don't think is faster over all. The ability to catch up and draft pass early is what gives the 787B the advantage. You don't save that much fuel in the Mazda since you're on the rev limit in 5th most of the time on the straights. FM2 would work but then it loses its speed advantage.

No stop in the 962C, splash and dash in the 787B.
thx....... definite no stop 962 have done that . see you out there
 
2 races in France last night- finished 3rd and 2nd respectively. I'm really hoping to best my QT record of 3:29. I know a lot of that speed I'm losing is in Porsche/Corvette curves. Finally starting to get a nice, smooth deceleration through them at this point (after about 50 races there). Is there a way to check how many races you've completed at a certain track? I don't see anything on KP.

Edit: I just found it on GT Sport Community. 35 races at Sarthe.
 
Stopping in lap 3 to top up to 2.0 laps, takes about 7.5 seconds compared to not stopping. The 787B can only make it with a lot of short shifting which I don't think is faster over all. The ability to catch up and draft pass early is what gives the 787B the advantage. You don't save that much fuel in the Mazda since you're on the rev limit in 5th most of the time on the straights. FM2 would work but then it loses its speed advantage.

No stop in the 962C, splash and dash in the 787B.
This is why I never conserve in the 787B. I needs that full wail when I pass the youngins. So cool in my replays. ;)
 
Only time for 1 race, this morning. Didn't have the 787B on my alt account, so I had to buy one and jack the livery from my main account.
While the speed is great, it definitely doesn't handle curves as well as the Porsche.
I stopped for gas after 3 laps, because of course I'm not gonna conserve with this car. Full power!
I got pretty good results, but like I said yesterday, all it takes is making fewer mistakes than the other guys.
d3d24bd0-1064-11ea-bee7-022f54652e3a.jpg


After hundreds of Gr.1 races at Lemans, my best advice is when approaching braking zones, if close to another car, hang back and let them screw up, rather than pushing to get a nose on their inside. You'll be so much better off. :sly:
 
It would be nice if they offered a panoramic view of the screen. For those of us with large TV's. The sideview works terrible because there is no soft return to center. You are either viewing to the side or viewing forward, and it snaps. I wanted to put the camera on the right stick so I could look around, but it kind of sucked.

I can't imagine being enclosed in a cockpit and not looking out the side to come extent.

I would love to know how you are seeing the mirrors in the cars. The only rear view I can rely on is the rear facing camera that is some cars. In almost every car I have tried, I can't see the mirrors even if I move the camera as far back in the cockpit as possible.

I mentioned the ability to look via the buttons. However I’ve never used it and don’t see a need for that.
Gr4 Megane, to start with has excellent cockpit view. I just did qual on that Sunday.
Corvette AMG gr3 and 4. I will run through most of the racecars I’ve used when I get home and post pics.
I’ve pretty much run every gr3 and 4 at some point.
Bugatti Veyron gr4 is super goofy check that one out haha.
I dunno if you drive any n cars but those are great.
I actually don’t like the cars with the cameras much because it’s so far out of my eyeline, almost out of peripheral vision. It’s unnatural for me.
You need a bit of the drivers side mirror and interior mirror. Its just so natural. Some of the racecars have more vision than others, but you honestly don’t need much.
All you need is the peripheral ‘alert’ if you will that a car may be in range to make a move and that’s it.
You don’t drive by mirror or rear view camera anyways. All that info is there but subconscious almost as in real driving.
I guess though if you have used chase for a long time it would seem impossible.
I assume you do chase?
The other point is I feel that in say roof view it’s like there’s a built in delay to the cars response from my input. It’s offputting.
In cockpit the effect of the slightest input is immediately noticed visually.
I’m not trying to tell anyone how to do anything, just explaining my preference and reasons.
The only decision that matters is do I need to leave space or not.
For me it’s thinking ahead it could never be mid turn trying to look sideways except maybe on oval.
The focus for me is my line and corner rights and whether I go defensive or initiate an overtake.
In sport mode if a driver dives I usually intentionally turn in. No reason to leave space to someone who has already chosen to breach etiquette. If they piss me off with further bs I will punt them.
If you use roof or bumper you see less to the side than cockpit as can be shown if you do the test I posted earlier.
So that’s my take. Jmo
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back