"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit, I was thinking that race B was going to be up my alley, but after having to use race A for my new 3rd account, I got a wonderful surprise. If someone was curious, here's my fastest lap...somehow still a full second behind some of my other friends. Damn @suprajef, how did you cut a 1.27.9xx? :dunce:

Qualifying efforts have led to some solid results though. I even qualified bad for a race B & had a fun, fair race.

49543007256_50fb87054f_c.jpg

49542508273_fcd7ebde6b_z.jpg
49543006971_e986d162a1_z.jpg

49543231237_de70efb03d_z.jpg
49543007131_cb8606e249_z.jpg

And I was able to get a win on all three accounts this week. 👍

49543231397_324f96820d_z.jpg
49543006736_2c11ede120_z.jpg

49543230992_a5a3577fd0_z.jpg

That 5th win was a real dogfight.....literally.

A tale of two races...

Tried many times to get a no-qualy win at Goodwood this week and never pulled it off. This first one is how almost every race went. Fought my way up near the front in the first few laps, only to be pushed wide by overzealous drivers taking advantage of the ridiculous slipstream. This was a really crazy first couple laps that saw me go from last to 2nd. Could’ve fought for the win if I didn’t mess up and give the drafters the inside heading into Woodcote. Lesson learned, don’t give anyone the inside. Early carnage is fun to watch though.

PoopsMcPants was his name, and yes, he was the cleanest driver I encountered this week at Goodwood, and seemingly the only guy I could trust. What a battle we had for the entire race! Lost this one in the end but him and I traded wins for several races and they were all great fun. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'll admit, I was thinking that race B was going to be up my alley, but after having to use race A for my new 3rd account, I got a wonderful surprise. If someone was curious, here's my fastest lap...somehow still a full second behind some of my other friends.

This weeks race A combo is one of my favourites. It's so much fun throwing that Clio around Goodwood. It's difficult to tell from the camera angle you've used for the replay but you can really abuse the track limits through St Mary's (the right left flick on the back straight). Two weels on the curb, two on the grass and you're good and can carry a lot more speed. You can really abuse the track limits on the exit of the chicane too. While you can put all 4 wheels on the grass without being penalised it is possible to get a track limit penalty there, so who knows where the track limit is! Don't get too close to the wall and you should be okay.

That said, it's possible to be fast without using all the grass at the chicane exit. It's just about getting the line right to get on the power as early as possible.

Last edited:
This weeks race A combo is one of my favourites. It's so much fun throwing that Clio around Goodwood. It's difficult to tell from the camera angle you've used for the replay but you can really abuse the track limits through St Mary's (the right left flick on the back straight). Two weels on the curb, two on the grass and you're good and can carry a lot more speed. You can really abuse the track limits on the exit of the chicane too. While you can put all 4 wheels on the grass without being penalised it is possible to get a track limit penalty there, so who knows where the track limit is! Don't get too close to the wall and you should be okay.

That said, it's possible to be fast without using all the grass at the chicane exit. It's just about getting the line right to get on the power as early as possible.
I've been enjoying Goodwood too - I've been climbing up B ranking as the week has progressed, and it's been reasonably clean until today when I got into a few rooms with A DR drivers in them! Boy, do they get dirty when they fall out with one another!

Managed to keep my SR up too - the only SR downs I've had all week came from 1) being rammed into the wall from behind at the final chicane (7 seconds penalty!?), 2) being pushed off onto the grass at Lavant (2 seconds penalty for pushing another car off track - despite the fact that he stayed on track!?)...

I've been testing it for the last couple of days. It's a razor's edge to find the turn in there at St. Mary's, mostly the left. The right I can hit almost every time. I've gotten 4 wheels on the grass many times, grazed the wall more times than I care to, & only gotten 1 track limit penalty at the final chicane. Either way, I've been chasing more of the people on my top 10 list, rather than trying to get a better time for a higher spot on the grid. Every time I get a better time, I get put in a room with faster drivers. I've only gotten about half the number of pole positions as races I've entered.

Since we're going on about some decent races this week, let me show you 2 of the solid, clean (by current standards) racing I've encountered. First, a race B. Gr. 3 cars at Yamagiwa is a recipe for disaster. Yet, with me at DR B/SR S & various other rated drivers, I didn't see any malicious driving. This is surprising considering I was in my R4M account, a veritable target for aggression. But, I luckily didn't hit anyone & nobody decided to hit me. I was pretty proud of one or 2 moves in this race.

And now for something that made my eyes practically bug out of my head. This race A had myself & 7 other cars in range of the lead for nearly a full lap before the serious shuffling began. When cars started bumping, I expected some full-on NASCAR style "big one" crash action. But, it turned out to be several small incidents & somehow I got through it. The whole race was fun & thrilling, even down to the last lap.

Stupid question: The cones are a driving assist. If somebody runs over a cone it will be gone for every player who has them activated. But: to they tumble the same way for every player and also land in the same position?

Stupid question: The cones are a driving assist. If somebody runs over a cone it will be gone for every player who has them activated. But: to they tumble the same way for every player and also land in the same position?
Cones are client side, aka only for the play that they are activated for. Other cars can interact with those cones just as they would a wall or curb. This doesn't mean that the other cars are affected by those cones though as they only exist for you, and could be in other positions for the other players (client side) or not there at all if they have them turned off.

This is why a car in front of you impact a cone if its in the middle of the circuit and not be affected while you will drive over the same cone and get bumped up. On their screen that cone didn't exist there.

Short answer: No

Cones are client side, aka only for the play that they are activated for. Other cars can interact with those cones just as they would a wall or curb. This doesn't mean that the other cars are affected by those cones though as they only exist for you, and could be in other positions for the other players (client side) or not there at all if they have them turned off.

This is why a car in front of you impact a cone if its in the middle of the circuit and not be affected while you will drive over the same cone and get bumped up. On their screen that cone didn't exist there.

Short answer: No

So basically this means: if two players (say A and B) have them activated and somebody runs over them it may be possible that A‘s cone is flying somewhere into the gravel while B‘s cone lands in the middle of a chicane.

I was just wondering because I know when hitting or even driving on/over an „orphaned“ cone on the track may seriously affect traction and control of the car.

So basically this means: if two players (say A and B) have them activated and somebody runs over them it may be possible that A‘s cone is flying somewhere into the gravel while B‘s cone lands in the middle of a chicane.

I was just wondering because I know when hitting or even driving on/over an „orphaned“ cone on the track may seriously affect traction and control of the car.
Correct. This is why it's advisable to use the cones to find permanent braking markers and then turn them off.

This is not how to pass entering a corner.

If you are the behind, throwing yourself to the inside and forcing outside car to slam on brakes or get pushed off track is not correct. It slows both cars down, causes crashes and pissed people off.

There is 3 zones.
-zone 1 - too far behind to even attempt a pass
-zone 2 - close enough that extreme late braking gets you along side the other car but you fly to the outside cutting off other driver
-zone 3 - close enough to attempt a pass to the inside while leaving room to outside car exiting the corner

I hate when I have a driver behind me that is not close enough to make a proper pass but keeps trying to dive the inside in every corner, forcing me to cover the inside and drastically slows both us down, loosing any chance for either of us to catch cars in front.

Attachments

• 202002161204372ebc2b6e12942615.jpg
    202002161204372ebc2b6e12942615.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 13
Couple of interesting clips from Goodwood.

Look at Houdini going off the track, then teleporting back in front of me. Good thing I wasn't further ahead, or I probably would have got a penalty when he reappeared.

I wonder how many people think I should've backed off before the chicane. I didn't really consider it.

Here's one that made me curse out loud. This penalty rarely pops up, but of course it does, when I'm on on pace to shatter my personal best time.

Last edited:
Be prepared for another round of the Slophy Cup tomorrow. I'm sure a measure of 4C iced tea users, will join the party.

I didn't understand this comment as someone brand new to the game, until tonight when I dropped 5 seconds to the Mégane in the pits to my SLS.

I tried to use the Corvette but fuel is even worse for no real gain making it impossible to win (it's barely possible in the SLS) as I approach my true skill bracket. I was only using the SLS as it was the first car that I won.

Anyone have any recommendations for other FR cars which are viable on fuel/pace ideally as good or better than the SLS? Or relatively stable MR for a pad user.

I didn't understand this comment as someone brand new to the game, until tonight when I dropped 5 seconds to the Mégane in the pits to my SLS.

I tried to use the Corvette but fuel is even worse for no real gain making it impossible to win (it's barely possible in the SLS) as I approach my true skill bracket. I was only using the SLS as it was the first car that I won.

Anyone have any recommendations for other FR cars which are viable on fuel/pace ideally as good or better than the SLS? Or relatively stable MR for a pad user.
The Megane Trophy '11 is the most effective car to use in high fuel and tyre wear races. It is also a car that does extremely well in hard braking and cornering.

The real life race car, performs above the real life GT4 category which GR.4 is based. Due to its drivetrain(MR), it is not based on the production Megane(FF) nor like production cars built to GT4 regulations.

At Brands Hatch, it has exceptional cornering speed and very late braking. Making it the best choice for that track.

About an alternate car to use at Nurburgring, the Alfa 4C, Citroen, NSX, 86 and RC F have shown good speed and fuel economy.

About an alternate car to use at Nurburgring, the Alfa 4C, Citroen, NSX, 86 and RC F have shown good speed and fuel economy.

Giving the NSX a go if for style reasons over the others, already dropped my quali time to 2:05.6 which is half a second better than previous so here's hoping the race goes just as well in a few moments. Thanks.

Edit: Win 5 in my 13 race career in the bag on the fastest grid yet first time out in the NSX, good recommendation!

Last edited:
Confirmation that Invisigoth is a ruthless Schumacher type who views the friendly GTP lobbies as "Daily Races For Wins"

Well I *am* a privateer after all... arrrr!

I have run over a lot of cones lately where it has had no effect at all on my car.
I suspect something happened with them when they updated the green dildos on Spa.

Not just Spa, la Sarthe too. If you don't hit them hard enough to shatter you get slowed down, spun out, airborne, or all of the above.

Well well well, what an end to the week. If there's one thing I've learned tonight is know when to stop, ladies and gents...!

After pulling off a flukey 1:33.3 qualifying lap I set about some Race B carnage today. Aside from being murdered on lap 1 in one race and bottling another on the last lap, I was able to win 7 races by starting on pole and finishing first... awesome! But my luck clearly ran out and the next batch of races started going downhill. By the third one and yet another questionable penalty handed out (of which I'm very accustomed to) I decided to leave it at that :indiff:

Overall I earned 7k-ish DR later settling to 6k-ish after the bad races. My DR history looks wild because generally I don't care about results and mess about a lot on this account. I'm sure this spike will be exactly just that, a spike :lol:
8ZaaRai.png

As for my recent SR if I keep this up I can make a nice pattern, doncha think? :rolleyes:
zhsr6E2.png

Anyways here's some last lap shenanigans for your enjoyment. In the first one after the leader bottled it I was able to steal a 2nd place and witnessed a straight up murder, lol. In the other I had a surprise win in the M6 due to some... synchronised spinning? Maybe you could tell how happy I was at the end :P Included some extra angles of it all too, I was worried I'd tapped the GTR but going back through the footage it was just a case of lead foot. Don't feel bad for him though, he clinched a podium after some more weirdness that followed. As for the Porsche well, maybe they should consider joining R4M...

The Megane Trophy '11 is the most effective car to use in high fuel and tyre wear races. It is also a car that does extremely well in hard braking and cornering.

The real life race car, performs above the real life GT4 category which GR.4 is based. Due to its drivetrain(MR), it is not based on the production Megane(FF) nor like production cars built to GT4 regulations.

At Brands Hatch, it has exceptional cornering speed and very late braking. Making it the best choice for that track.

I had some decent success with the WRX at Nurburgring, some 1st and 2nd places. Needed to refuel at 7 for a eficient race, but tire wear and overall rhythm was great.

Very mixed week of racing this time around. I only have time to really learn one of these races every week, so Race B Gr3 Kyoto it was.

First race I spent being hounded by a 911. I wasn't particularly impressed with his choice of corner to stick his nose in. He ended up getting passed me then pushing off the car in front on the second last corner on the final lap. I gained one place due to people crashing but overall wasn't happy with that race since i had No.5 and finished 10th.
Second race, 911 behind again, not changing his driving style, so I got a bit more aggressive and defended a bit harder. Coming into turn 11, I he pulled to the inside, I squeezed him over, slight side to side contact was made (neither car was really effected) so the game decided that I was the worst person to ever exist and handed me a 9 second penalty. Upon seeing this i promptly slammed the throttle on corner exit, spun myself around and made the fatal mistake of quitting. I immediately checked my K' which seemed to indicate that I hadn't lost any SR for that, so I gave up for the night.
Upon return, I watched a Super GT video, went out and improved my qualifying time by a second and entered a race. To my surprise I was starting on pole, something that hasn't happened for a long time. Then i noticed that not everyone in the lobby had an Sr S rating, then i saw myself with an Sr A rating, and realised why I was on pole, and by 1.5 seconds. The next 4 races consisted of me demolishing everyone with a minimum gap to 2nd place of 6 seconds by the end of each race (maximum was 12 seconds in one of the races). After the 4th race it appeared I was back into my normal lobby wih Sr S people.
First race back in Sr S, same corner turn 11, slight contact between me and the car in front ... 5 second time penalty for me. Didn't quit this time but still went all the way back down to SrA which meant another series of races where I demolished everyone.

It was good that I made some progress towards the victory and pole position trophies but it's really not that fun when you essentially end up doing a 4 lap time trial, not seeing anyone after the first 4 corners. its also pretty unfair for anyone who has to line up against me. They basically have to hope I make a mistake to have a chance of winning. Hopefully I'm back in Sr S for the next races so I don't have to steal wins off people in lower lobbies, although I don't mind the extra wins and pole positions I'm receiving from these races.

I wish Brands Hatch would die a death. Honestly, in any GR race, I see it mainly as a procession waiting for a mistake. That or punters everywhere. Not everyone can overtake at Brands Hatch like they did at the World tour. Even still....when I saw that track was being used at the World Tour, I just shook my head. Who selects the track and combinations?

The Gr.X race could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back