"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear I am working hard to race clean and fast, but man, turn 1 at Monza is a killer. I can have a clean race with only maybe a 0.5 track limit penalty and the bump into turn 1 lap 1 cancels all my SR gain.
Hell, I just lost 10 SR tonight for the penalty for hitting the ghosted car

That's because a lot of players try the most impossible overtakes ever, especially in the first lap where almost any tentative of overtake is extremely dangerous.

Anyway i managed to get a good race a while ago, started 2nd and ended 2nd.

Got promoted to D/S. SR of 89. All of this racing only in Monza. Lol.

Ok gave the merc a whirl, basically qualified at same pace as the mustang and raced a similar pace too. I dont think it is quite as fast but it is more consistent. As expected, rotation into the second chicane is poor but she nails the lesmos.

Had a great night with both cars, gained 2000 points which unfortunately puts me back to SR S and DR A. I just cannot hang with those guys, tend to start lower mid pack and finish inside top 10 but it's tough sledding.

I do race well at monza though, avoid contact even if it means yielding and switch to mediums on lap 5, gain a few spots lap 5 to 7 usually.

Second race went loads better, went from 11th to 5th nice clean race apart from a slight nudge T1 lap 8 nothing major or deliberate but they managed to spin in progress which is karma?

As usual, I had a brain fart and blew my no qualify in race A. Accidentally went over the finish line and put up a 2:00.7. I was having fun racing from the back...even had one win in an A/B room with top qualifiers in the low to mid 58's. Switched to my main account and had 2 races where I started 2nd to my region's #5 qualifier (1:57.270) managed to hang on to his bumper on L1, made a clean pass on L2 and we were side by side through the tunnel. He got the inside into the chicane so I braked early and grabbed a tow again. I smoked through T1 and was closing through the esses with my highest MPH ever through there (98mph!) But couldn't hold the line coming out at the end of the first sector and tapped the wall. I was .1 second back at that point, and had a 28.2 sector even with the tap. That was the end of my race. I went wide in the hairpin and almost lost the draft, I tapped the right side wall through the high speed esses in the tunnel coming out, I tapped the wall coming out of the right hander before the chicane, then to finish it off, I launched over the entrace to the chicane, slammed the wall, with 5 second penalty, was totally sideways around the final corner trying to get on the gas and regain control, but did still get 2nd by 5 seconds, about 10 down on the leader. He got FL on that lap with a 58.1. I fell apart at the end, but up to the first wall tap (lost my crb there), it was a great race. I'm gonna miss racing from the back there. Might have to pull over and start last anyway.

As usual, I had a brain fart and blew my no qualify in race A. Accidentally went over the finish line and put up a 2:00.7. I was having fun racing from the back...even had one win in an A/B room with top qualifiers in the low to mid 58's.
I did the same thing in Race C last night...fortunately I set the time on the Hard tires so I still start last or nearly last in most races unless an SR drop puts me with slower drivers, in which case I start mid field.

It's been a long time since I've driven this. It feels better than I remember.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I had a good day of racing yesterday at the Nordschleife without qualifying. Well good and bad. I had 10 victories from the back, but also 2 DR resets :lol: I started at SR 40 after a disastrous race the day before and it is impossible to get SR past SR.B from the back at race B. A clean race is worth at most 5 SR, one SR Down (penalty or not) is -10 SR, thus at least -5 for the race. Two is at least 15 SR lost for that race. At SR.C and lower you get more SR for races (up to 2.5x at SR.E) so there one SR Down still gives you some blue SR. From 50 SR that boost is all gone, hence SR.B is a dead end at race B. SR.B is also a lot more dirty than SR.C and lower.

It's weird, up to SR.C I usually have no problem at the start, everyone follows closely but carefully through the first few turns. Get back in SR.B and someone comes bowling through before the start, every damn time. It was the same when I was going between SR.A and SR.S. SR.A good start, get matched with SR.S in the back, bowling alley. There seem to be two plateaus where people like to be. SR.S, we're at max SR. time to drive dirty to gain DR. SR.B, well can't get beyond this anyway let's go rumble. SR.A, I want to get back to SR.S to rumble, better be careful. SR.C, DR reset looming better be careful. Thus the yoyo SR ride continues.

It doesn't matter for fun anyway. There are still plenty clean fast racers to have contact free races with in the second part of the race. I had some awesome close chases, bumper to bumper, side by side through twisty bits all contact free (SR.C) But also idiots that go out of their way to ruin it at the end with brake checks and deliberate ramming (SR.B) That happened in SR.S as well when I was there on Monday and Tuesday so might as well race in low SR where the chances at close victories are much higher.

The thing with Monza is a lack of racing nous hurts people, and i say that as a motorsport tragic. There are, realistically, only 2 passing areas, into T1 and the Parabolica.

The LEsmos are an absolute no-go, strictly one line, it never ever comes off into either of them.

2nd chicane is NOT like T1. Into T1 the chicane comes to a near dead stop and almost circles back on itself, it's wider too. The 2nd one, it's faster but narrower, there is NO SPACE for 2 wide, full stop.

The fast chicane, forget it, just slows you boh down, wait for the parabolica.

It amazes me that people will try to shove past at Lesmo 2 when the parabolica is coming in 30 seconds, like really? Imbecile.

The thing with Monza is a lack of racing nous hurts people, and i say that as a motorsport tragic. There are, realistically, only 2 passing areas, into T1 and the Parabolica.

The LEsmos are an absolute no-go, strictly one line, it never ever comes off into either of them.

2nd chicane is NOT like T1. Into T1 the chicane comes to a near dead stop and almost circles back on itself, it's wider too. The 2nd one, it's faster but narrower, there is NO SPACE for 2 wide, full stop.

The fast chicane, forget it, just slows you boh down, wait for the parabolica.

It amazes me that people will try to shove past at Lesmo 2 when the parabolica is coming in 30 seconds, like really? Imbecile.
I don't think you should ever overtake in a corner, unless you are vastly faster and can go around.
The overtaking should be done on the straights, coming out of a corner. The key is getting a better run out.
If you out take someone going in to the corner and have corner rights that will work too, but the other way is the safest.

I don't think you should ever overtake in a corner, unless you are vastly faster and can go around.
The overtaking should be done on the straights, coming out of a corner. The key is getting a better run out.
If you out take someone going in to the corner and have corner rights that will work too, but the other way is the safest.

Into T1, if you are past the C-Pillar you can make a legit clean pass. Into the second chicane, you can be at the A-pillar and still, it's over, you can't go through 2 wide unless you both come to a near stop.

I think I'm done with Monza for the week. I was well and truly Monza'd at Monza. I think I was rear ended at every chicane on every lap. I started P6, got bashed black and blue, pitted at the end of lap 6 for mediums, came out of the pits P5, then found the mediums had less grip than the hards!!!! In the end I finished P9.

SR dropped 15, DR went up a bit over 200. I guess tomorrow it will be the green hell...it's better than brown trousers :crazy:.

Into T1, if you are past the C-Pillar you can make a legit clean pass. Into the second chicane, you can be at the A-pillar and still, it's over, you can't go through 2 wide unless you both come to a near stop.
What do you mean by past the A-pillar/C-pillar? If you are not past the front of the car with your front you are forcing your way through. In real racing you would be given a penalty or having the door closed on you.

The only way to overtake safely in Monza is Slipstream-Late Brake-Overtake entering the turn.

T1, T2 (Roggia), T5 (Ascari) are the best and most common turns in which you can overtake, but must be a well made overtake because (since the road is really narrow) a single mistake like too late braking, too early accelleration and wrong racing line can cause a contact.

Parabolica is same as above but overtaking is much simpler and safer and incidents are rare.

Lesmos? Forget it.

Trying to overtake someone there is basically like gifting them and / or yourself a trip in the gravel. If you ever succeed, the other player just needs to sit back, relax and wait till the straight to take the slipstream and take his position back in T5.

I think I'm done with Monza for the week. I was well and truly Monza'd at Monza. I think I was rear ended at every chicane on every lap. I started P6, got bashed black and blue, pitted at the end of lap 6 for mediums, came out of the pits P5, then found the mediums had less grip than the hards!!!! In the end I finished P9.

SR dropped 15, DR went up a bit over 200. I guess tomorrow it will be the green hell...it's better than brown trousers :crazy:.

You may see me around the Green Hell then as will be going racing tomorrow so if you see any R4M accounts say hello!

I don't like to be a sheep and follow the META car so whoever recommended the Mustang for Race C earlier this week, why thank you! Was a very good shout indeed.

I'm down to 1:46.9 at the moment but want to get an idea of how others are going faster in the same car. Top ten is nothing but GTR. Anybody here have a replay in the Mustang that could help?

Give the Corvette a go too. Just as rapid as the Mustang on the straights, but appears to get out of corners quicker and can hunt the GT-R's down on the straights. Out brakes them, too!!

No you wouldn't, in V8SC for example the stewards rule on the B-pillar.

Yes you must be halfway alongside (B-pillar) before turn in and be able to beat the other car to the apex without going wide at exit to have a right to that piece of track. C-pillar, no right, penalty. A-pillar before turn in, you have a right to go side by side, but you risk getting turned in on.

A penalty or having the door closed on you, exactly what @RacingGrandpa said.

I had a good day of racing yesterday at the Nordschleife without qualifying. Well good and bad. I had 10 victories from the back, but also 2 DR resets :lol: I started at SR 40 after a disastrous race the day before and it is impossible to get SR past SR.B from the back at race B. A clean race is worth at most 5 SR, one SR Down (penalty or not) is -10 SR, thus at least -5 for the race. Two is at least 15 SR lost for that race. At SR.C and lower you get more SR for races (up to 2.5x at SR.E) so there one SR Down still gives you some blue SR. From 50 SR that boost is all gone, hence SR.B is a dead end at race B. SR.B is also a lot more dirty than SR.C and lower.

It's weird, up to SR.C I usually have no problem at the start, everyone follows closely but carefully through the first few turns. Get back in SR.B and someone comes bowling through before the start, every damn time. It was the same when I was going between SR.A and SR.S. SR.A good start, get matched with SR.S in the back, bowling alley. There seem to be two plateaus where people like to be. SR.S, we're at max SR. time to drive dirty to gain DR. SR.B, well can't get beyond this anyway let's go rumble. SR.A, I want to get back to SR.S to rumble, better be careful. SR.C, DR reset looming better be careful. Thus the yoyo SR ride continues.

It doesn't matter for fun anyway. There are still plenty clean fast racers to have contact free races with in the second part of the race. I had some awesome close chases, bumper to bumper, side by side through twisty bits all contact free (SR.C) But also idiots that go out of their way to ruin it at the end with brake checks and deliberate ramming (SR.B) That happened in SR.S as well when I was there on Monday and Tuesday so might as well race in low SR where the chances at close victories are much higher.

My personal favourite is when they stick their nose up the inside on the final corner before we have even crossed the start line, I WILL turn in and put them into that wall :lol: Or when I'm feathering the throttle because the three cars ahead of me are playing bumper cars, back off until it's sorted, there's nowhere to go except the grass, fool. :cheers:

Give the Corvette a go too. Just as rapid as the Mustang on the straights, but appears to get out of corners quicker and can hunt the GT-R's down on the straights. Out brakes them, too!!
Really? I seem to remember the Mustang destroying the Corvette on the straights, to the point that the last time I bothered racing Monza in the Daily Races (granted this was well over a year ago), I couldn't even overtake the Mustang on the straights with the Corvette, even with a slipstream. Of course I'm sure things have changed, since the Mustang was the META then, not the GT-R. I'll have to give the Corvette a spin tonight.
Capture.JPG

What do you mean by past the A-pillar/C-pillar? If you are not past the front of the car with your front you are forcing your way through. In real racing you would be given a penalty or having the door closed on you.
If a car is alongside you you need to respect that. You can't just turn in on someone when part of their car is alongside and expect them to disappear. This video (and the others in the series) do a good job of explaining how to race with cars around you:

I was initially not at all of the same opinion, having my race craft from bike racing and sim racing.
So i wanted to find the rule set to dispute you. Instead I found the rule set that dispute me.
You where right.

.https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

I have to be more aggressive

To be fair I did forget to say in BIG BOLD LETTERS, if you brake late up the inside it is your responsibility to make the apex. It is the outside drivers' responsibility to leave a touch of space and take a wider line but as the inside driver, you must make the apex.

If a car is alongside you you need to respect that. You can't just turn in on someone when part of their car is alongside and expect them to disappear. This video (and the others in the series) do a good job of explaining how to race with cars around you:

However in GTS you can expect to be turned in on 90% of the time, even when fully alongside or ahead. It's simply a lot safer to brake a bit earlier, slow in fast out, pass at corner exit, instead of racing to the apex and risk a penalty or getting spun out.

I was initially not at all of the same opinion, having my race craft from bike racing and sim racing.
So i wanted to find the rule set to dispute you. Instead I found the rule set that dispute me.
You where right.

.https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

I have to be more aggressive

Slightly off topic, coming from bike racing did you find the racing line is different to that you would use for a bike? I still have trouble with that, when I used to use the games racing line I thought that was way out, probably explains why I'm so slow at some tracks :lol:

HEre's an example. At 10.00 the other driver gets to my B-Pillar, I yield and try for a wider line as i feel he legit has me. He does not get his nose past mine until we brake and tome that is fine.

I think racing at monza is taking years off my life.

I nearly burst a blood vessel in my forehead last night started 3rd and 4th and finished 12th and 18th respectively due to being punted left right and centre by the Spanish armada and the roman empire.

Im s rated and was 99 SR going into both races. Have to give up on the track even though after only having my wheel 2 weeks i have finally got some pace , its very frustrating as my quest for a rated is thwarted by Monza mayhem.

There seem to be two plateaus where people like to be. SR.S, we're at max SR. time to drive dirty to gain DR. SR.B, well can't get beyond this anyway let's go rumble. SR.A, I want to get back to SR.S to rumble, better be careful. SR.C, DR reset looming better be careful. Thus the yoyo SR ride continues.

Yep, this is surprisingly accurate from my experience too. When you have cleaner races at SR C than SR S 99, something is wrong.

If many didn't treat SR S like a bank by withdrawing points for driving dirty and depositing in lower SRs by being clean (how you're expected to at SR S), I think it would be less of a problem.

BMB Infield finally returns next week. :shocked:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back