"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why my DR is such that I keep getting a low door number, insofar it’s incredibly unlikely for me to get that position, let alone score better than it. I’m currently in the top 300 for the Americas for Race A, so I don’t really get why I’m not qualifying higher despite now only having a little over 30k DR. At this rate, I’ll drop out of DR A, but perhaps I shouldn’t worry too much about DR...

EDIT: My qualifying time for Race A at the moment is 2:12.774, for what it’s worth. I’m also using 0 TCS and -3 BB.

The door numbers were badly implemented by PD. Explanations by @Sven Jurgens here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/daily-race-discussion-archive.386265/page-2503#post-13355079
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/daily-race-discussion-archive.386265/page-2218#post-13188025

... along with the oft asked sister topic of DR point gain/loss.

Just had a bizarre situation in race A. My 2:12.7 put me on pole, which not too weird. Second on the grid had a 2:19, 3rd was 2:20 and the only other guy was a 2:21. My nearest challenger didn't even get off the grid and my standing lap would have been good enough for the fastest lap of the race.

Started a new account last week just for fun. At first I wasn't too sure what the objective was going to be, but I decided that I would never qualify for any race on this new account and see how many wins I can get and how high I can get the DR starting from the back of the pack.

It's been fun so far, only 22 races in, but let me tell ya.....there are some insanely desperate and dirty drivers out there. I know they are everywhere in all ranks, but WOW. I have now seen some stuff.

Honestly the dirtiest moves I've seen have been from the people who are starting near the front of these races. I typically have no problem racing up through the pack. Of course there is the occasional dirty guy mid-pack but usually they are just struggling with car control and not intentionally doing anything wrong, and once you get alongside or in front of them they concede the position (some exceptions aside). But when I catch the leaders, typically the top 2 or 3 who have pulled away from the chaos...things tend to get ugly. It's amazing that you can catch somebody by 2s in less than a lap and they will still try to wreck you just for attempting to get by them.

Needless to say, I've gotten pretty good at defending against punts and pit maneuvers. A couple of the guys I've encountered in Race C were skilled at drawing the penalty. Slowing down in just the right places and positioning their cars in just the right way to put me into the wall and give me the penalty. Most of them failed miserably after I caught on to their games, but I did get bested a time or two....not outpaced, just successfully taken out and robbed of the win.

So far so good though. I was initially on a pretty good run, winning my first 13 races. On my 14th race, I actually won it, but my internet went out while the rest of the drivers were finishing their final lap. So I didn't get the credit. After that, the streak of luck was broken and as my DR got higher I started encountering more of the dirty drivers who definitely did not want to give up their positions. These guys were willing to do ANYTHING to keep their spots. Some of their attempts made for some hilarious clips that I'll have to put together when I have some time.

Right now my new account stands at 22.4k DR and 99 SR. 22 races with 16 wins all from the back. All the non-wins were P2 except for one, which was a P3. I think I would have had wins in all of them if it weren't for people intentionally taking me out, but I guess that's expected.

Cheers everyone, I'll try not to yeet you if I see you out there...as long as you don't yeet me first.

That's a great way to keep the game fresh.

A few suggestions for anyone else trying this. Please be considerate for the legitimate C/D drivers as you are passing through the ranks.
  • Don't win any of the first five races since they don't help your DR.
  • Maybe don't challenge for the win until you see a B-level player entered.
  • Set a goal that helps protect those players, say, how may wins you can get after you reach DR.10000.
Leave those wins for the C/D types who are fighting hard.

I found myself in a C/D lobby after an SR hit - gave up the win and gained a friend.

Cool you have the phone mods? ;)

R6364dfa4ad1ec0f0dee8dc3777ce75cc
:lol: Want! Joke.

Don't worry. I have done 1100+races and are still not as high up as @Winnie847 is after 22. Nor do I have that many wins, only 20. But I'm not hanging up my DS4.
Don't worry was just a bit of traditional British self deprecating humour. No intention of stopping playing. Love GT too much.

Right now my new account stands at 22.4k DR and 99 SR. 22 races with 16 wins all from the back. All the non-wins were P2 except for one, which was a P3. I think I would have had wins in all of them if it weren't for people intentionally taking me out, but I guess that's expected.

Guy has 22 races on a new account & has more DR than I have in 2 years. Sheesh! :lol:

My last Race A of the week and it was totally dirty. People were getting knocked into the wall before turn 1, I started in 8th and passed them up into 5th after T1, then got targeted and blown off the track into 11th. I caught back up to 5th and got knocked out again into 11th. Not worth my time, exited on lap 3.

Started a new account last week just for fun. At first I wasn't too sure what the objective was going to be, but I decided that I would never qualify for any race on this new account and see how many wins I can get and how high I can get the DR starting from the back of the pack.

It's been fun so far, only 22 races in, but let me tell ya.....there are some insanely desperate and dirty drivers out there. I know they are everywhere in all ranks, but WOW. I have now seen some stuff.

Honestly the dirtiest moves I've seen have been from the people who are starting near the front of these races. I typically have no problem racing up through the pack. Of course there is the occasional dirty guy mid-pack but usually they are just struggling with car control and not intentionally doing anything wrong, and once you get alongside or in front of them they concede the position (some exceptions aside). But when I catch the leaders, typically the top 2 or 3 who have pulled away from the chaos...things tend to get ugly. It's amazing that you can catch somebody by 2s in less than a lap and they will still try to wreck you just for attempting to get by them.

Needless to say, I've gotten pretty good at defending against punts and pit maneuvers. A couple of the guys I've encountered in Race C were skilled at drawing the penalty. Slowing down in just the right places and positioning their cars in just the right way to put me into the wall and give me the penalty. Most of them failed miserably after I caught on to their games, but I did get bested a time or two....not outpaced, just successfully taken out and robbed of the win.

So far so good though. I was initially on a pretty good run, winning my first 13 races. On my 14th race, I actually won it, but my internet went out while the rest of the drivers were finishing their final lap. So I didn't get the credit. After that, the streak of luck was broken and as my DR got higher I started encountering more of the dirty drivers who definitely did not want to give up their positions. These guys were willing to do ANYTHING to keep their spots. Some of their attempts made for some hilarious clips that I'll have to put together when I have some time.

Cheers everyone, I'll try not to yeet you if I see you out there...as long as you don't yeet me first.
Interesting, that. I’ve been thinking for quite some time of doing the same but I still don’t have an alt account. Been resisting that.

However, just thinking about how my gaming hours would look like if I were to create an alt I’m doubting yet again. GT may be my main game but I do have quite the backlog of games that I should take care of during weeks of poor daily races. An alt would slow the backlog completion process down a lot and it’s already slow.

:boggled::confused::boggled:

That's a great way to keep the game fresh.

A few suggestions for anyone else trying this. Please be considerate for the legitimate C/D drivers as you are passing through the ranks.
  • Don't win any of the first five races since they don't help your DR.
  • Maybe don't challenge for the win until you see a B-level player entered.
  • Set a goal that helps protect those players, say, how may wins you can get after you reach DR.10000.
Leave those wins for the C/D types who are fighting hard.

I found myself in a C/D lobby after an SR hit - gave up the win and gained a friend.

But, but....that would mess up my stats! :D

Honestly though, I get what you're saying, I just disagree with that approach.

I'm trying to be a considerate driver to them, but not going to hand over wins. Especially considering the abysmal on-track behavior of most of the drivers who would have won if I hadn't.

To look at it from another perspective, the more I win, the sooner I'm gone from their races and will never see them again. The longer it takes me to accumulate DR, the more they have to race me. The DR range is pretty small down at C and D. When winning those lobbies yields around 1500DR, you can gain quickly and see a fresh batch of drivers every 1 or 2 races. Once you graduate to D-rank, you are gifted 2000DR. So by winning every race, it only takes about 4-5 more races after reaching D to reach 10k, which is DR-B. So the goal is that I move up as quickly as possible and be out of their way.

Interesting, that. I’ve been thinking for quite some time of doing the same but I still don’t have an alt account. Been resisting that.

However, just thinking about how my gaming hours would look like if I were to create an alt I’m doubting yet again. GT may be my main game but I do have quite the backlog of games that I should take care of during weeks of poor daily races. An alt would slow the backlog completion process down a lot and it’s already slow.

:boggled::confused::boggled:

or you could be like me and only play one game! I probably don't get tired of it because I don't have much time to play. 1 or 2 days a week is usually all I get, if that. Sometimes just the evening.

Last edited:
But, but....that would mess up my stats! :D

Honestly though, I get what you're saying, I just disagree with that approach.

I'm trying to be a considerate driver to them, but not going to hand over wins. Especially considering the abysmal on-track behavior of most of the drivers who would have won if I hadn't.

To look at it from another perspective, the more I win, the sooner I'm gone from their races and will never see them again. The longer it takes me to accumulate DR, the more they have to race me. The DR range is pretty small down at C and D. When winning those lobbies yields around 1500DR, you can gain quickly and see a fresh batch of drivers every 1 or 2 races. Once you graduate to D-rank, you are gifted 2000DR. So by winning every race, it only takes about 4-5 more races after reaching D to reach 10k, which is DR-B. So the goal is that I move up as quickly as possible and be out of their way.

or you could be like me and only play one game! I probably don't get tired of it because I don't have much time to play. 1 or 2 days a week is usually all I get, if that. Sometimes just the evening.
I agree the first few rounds of races are a bit like seal clubbing, but you tend to end up near your 'actual' skill range fairly quickly. I set up an alt and got a few easy quick wins. But it wasnt long until I was pretty much at my more current pace groups. I usually just race from the back on that account and really work on racecraft, or tracks I am not good on. It provides a different variety of things and I find myself learning how to race around people I wouldnt normally see. It has taught me a lot about passing and proper skill for racing rather than just raw qualifying speed.

I took out a dirty player and got penalties. Later i had to pause the game(pedal issues again) in the following race and fell down to sr 78. I found myself in c/d grid. It was funny. I was leading 12 seconds at the finish, i stopped, turned the car and passed the finish line in gear r.
I tried that a second time, the game reset me and put way back from the finish line. I finished 3rd. I guess i must be the idiot of the week! :)

Btw i had to quit or lost at least 15 great competitive races last month due to the pedals intermittently disconnecting issue. I will open the wheel base and check this week.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the top ten times for Race C at Tokyo Expressway East is filled with the Peugeot VGT Gr.3. I tried using it and setting the best time I could in qualifying, then when I went into the actual race, I was the only one using it, while almost everyone else was using the F1 GTR. I also not only came in last, but I was slower than the next-to-last guy by over five seconds. What gives?

I don't understand why the top ten times for Race C at Tokyo Expressway East is filled with the Peugeot VGT Gr.3. I tried using it and setting the best time I could in qualifying, then when I went into the actual race, I was the only one using it, while almost everyone else was using the F1 GTR. I also not only came in last, but I was slower than the next-to-last guy by over five seconds. What gives?

Sometimes, the meta car for Time Trial and the actual race are different. Take the incoming Race C (Gr.1 Spa) for example. Most of the top 10 times will be set by the R18 2016, which has an incredible Hybrid boost that gives it rapid one-lap pace, but suffers from poor energy harvesting that makes it difficult to keep the battery charged over a full race. The Toyota TS050 goes the opposite direction, focusing on energy harvesting at the cost of sheer Hybrid power, resulting in a car that favours race pace over qualifying pace.

Another good example would be the Nations Gr.1 at BMB Infield B a few weeks ago. If you looked at the TT leaderboards, most of the top times were set with the Nissan GT-R LM, a car normally considered to be the rock bottom of Gr.1. If you took the Longboi into the actual race itself, you’ll quickly find out why it’s such a joke: understeer will quickly set in as your front tyres go straight to hell in the blink of an eye. Which is a problem because understeering off at turns 1 or 4 means a guaranteed meeting with your old nemesis Barry R.

A third example would be some Gr.4 races with tyre wear. The FFs have the raw power to top the Time Trials, but they can fade away dramatically as tyre wear sets in over the course of a race.

I set my QT in the F1, have been running the (only slightly slower) Jaguar in the race, and spent all week trying to set a faster time with the VGT - couldn't even get it near the Jag's fastest lap.

Finally realised last night that I'd been using the VW GTI VGT instead........:dunce:

Finished where I started.
IMG_20210426_172726.jpg
IMG_20210426_172721.jpg

I think th car in 5th bumped me wide after I passed it serving its penalty. Other than that, no dramas.

Race B. Set FL every lap but Lap 4. Fastest was the last lap. With all those Vantages, thought one of them would have been faster.
The Vantage behind me and been hit at T1 by the car that started last. We got the start glitch and it overtook me. Just did not stop and knocked everyone but me, off track. As the Vantage reentered. It saw me coming and straight blocked me.
It then ran wide into T3. I was going to run it wide and off track. It kept hanging back as I was slowing and slowed for T4, with me ready to serve it. I pressed on and left it behind.
IMG_20210426_174313.jpg

IMG_20210426_174309.jpg

Last edited:
That's a brave choice on the Gr.1 car! I tried to drive it for some practice laps the other day and it was a complete maniac of a thing to drive! Massive levels of understeer under acceleration, but insane steering off throttle.

EDIT: I see you went for the R92CP instead...
Wasn't bad. I'm used to the Group C cars. Drive it 9/10ths and it's fun. The R92CP turns tighter, with lift off in 2nd gear.

Couple cars knew to be patient at a few tight corners. Didn't force me at the apexes. I left them room on exit.

I am really rusty with the hybrids. I was struggling to find the right turning point in both of my races. And I died inside when the game matched me up against Oceania's finest in Race 2:

LRHpHVJ.jpg

My plebian 34k DR butt winding up in the same lobby as Oceania's incumbent Nations Cup champion? Yeah, no. I'm taking my 12th place and +100 DR and calling it a day.

3jk03GZ.jpg
ydnbhnB.jpg

Daily Race A exposed one thing in me and that is not spending enough time around Alsace and despite not having enough time to master Alsace, was able to get a win.

Also when I look back at the track, it's sad considering that it has the right scenery and replay scenes but the track is.....bland.

Is the Fugu Z always the meta for the Z car races?

I just set a quick quali time in it, and my entire A/B lobby is Fugu’s.

I might try one of the others next race!
I might encounter you in the Z festival Daily Race then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back