"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend opposite

Run hard first plus burning fuel, so when you have mediums you will be faster. The other thing though is you might catch traffic
Eh, which way to go depends a lot on the circumstances. Start position, your pace, the opponents pace, your car, their cars, the track, etc.

Sometimes it's better to start softer and finish harder, sometimes the other way around. There's no one size fits all solution here.

Morning from the UK,

Debut posting here, seems like a good community so thought I would join after playing various Gran Turismo titles for many years (missed out on GT6 however).

Have enjoyed this weeks daily races immensely, have had good clean racing in all of them which is good as my SR tanked last week!
My DR has pretty much plateaued at the low to mid B mark for a while, seems to be my level so I am enjoying the racing a lot!

Have just seen next weeks daily race A and B are:

A - N200 at Big Willow (5 laps - seems long for a race A?!)
B - Gr 4 at Suzuka (3 laps)

Race A seems a little bit out of the ordinary to me so I am mildly looking forward to the carnage in that!

Glad to be here and look forward to chatting to you all!

You have to consider all the factors.

Typically you run Medium/Hard in that order, right? And you rarely refuel in group 4.

So on the second stint on hards:

You have less fuel (weight).

You're warmed up to the track so you're hitting your reference points better.

You're likely in less traffic than during the first stint, meaning you focus on speed and not racecraft.

All that stuff matters too during a race. The difference between meds and hards is less in gr4 than gr3 for sure, but it's not like hards are faster in and of themselves.
No, I always run hards first. Gets them out of the way whilst the car is heavier with fuel, meaning I get better use out of the mediums - their main advantage for me is that they hang onto their grip longer (hence more consistent), not necessarily that they're faster.

Also doesn't matter whether it's gr3 or 4, for me my fastest race lap is usually on the hards. However, I always run faster on the mediums in qualifying - weird isn't it!

No, I always run hards first. Gets them out of the way whilst the car is heavier with fuel, meaning I get better use out of the mediums - their main advantage for me is that they hang onto their grip longer (hence more consistent), not necessarily that they're faster.

Also doesn't matter whether it's gr3 or 4, for me my fastest race lap is usually on the hards. However, I always run faster on the mediums in qualifying - weird isn't it!
Plus the first couple of laps you're usually in traffic so no point using up your mediums when you're being held up. Use the slipstream to hold onto the back of the medium runners and you should be golden in the second half of the race. Obviously if you're at the front then go medium and try and get a gap.

Thanks everyone for helping out with my starts at Seaside. Maybe a weird question, but how do I figure out which car should be short shifted and which car shouldn't? Is there any logic behind this, some car specs I can look at and get that? Or should I just try each car and figure it out myself?

Try having full gas as the auto-drive kick in. It also pays to burn fuel here

agree there is no need to be feathering throttle in auto drive. Keep that right foot planted during auto drive

That's what I usually do, just full gas waiting for the auto drive to end.

Thanks everyone for helping out with my starts at Seaside. Maybe a weird question, but how do I figure out which car should be short shifted and which car shouldn't? Is there any logic behind this, some car specs I can look at and get that? Or should I just try each car and figure it out myself?

If you go under car settings and move the cursor to quick tune there is a graph with the power and torque curves for that car in the top right. The top of the blue line is peak power and where you want to shift. Then if you move to the transmission section it shows you the ideal rpm to change. It's then a case of working out where that is on the horizontal rev bar on the HUD. Sorry for the rubbish pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_102248.jpg
    IMG_20201002_102248.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201002_102647.jpg
    IMG_20201002_102647.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

I mean full gas before the auto-drive kick in if you are holding your engine revs at max torque you get a little closer as auto-drive start.

If you go under car settings and move the cursor to quick tune there is a graph with the power and torque curves for that car in the top right. The top of the blue line is peak power and where you want to shift. Then if you move to the transmission section it shows you the ideal rpm to change. It's then a case of working out where that is on the horizontal rev bar on the HUD. Sorry for the rubbish pictures.

It not at peak power you want to change. Power/HP is torque times revolutions. Ideally you want the maximum torque in the middle of your rev pattern under race. So you change X amount of revs above the max torque and it falls to the same amount of revs below max torque.
In top gear the speed keeps building because the gearing won't let you hit the rev limiter. If you hit it, like with the Gr C at Le Sartre No chicane you are not utilizing the engines power.
If you rev above the torque max and the revs needed to land the right place you might still gain speed, but not at the ultimate speed.
As an example, if you run the Viper Gr 3 in AT from standstill to max speed and then do it again in MT while shortshifting you gain 3 seconds..

Last edited:

Same for me. In Race C if I run softs first they’re getting very second hand by the end of 3 laps. If I run them laps 3-5 they’re still ok at the end.

Had a lot of fun at St. Croix yesterday, and hope to do the same today after work. Took me most of the week to get comfortable with the track, but now that i have, and started racing, it's glorious. Not that competitive in the race cars, but really enjoying the racing here.

And of course next while i am away we get big willow again. I won't be able to even run one lap.... :(

Last edited:
However, I always run faster on the mediums in qualifying - weird isn't it!
It's not weird. Mediums have more grip. More grip lets you go faster.

It's like weighing less or having more power, it's never a bad thing.

Plus in qualification for dailies you have no other considerations than going fast around the track. You're always going to be quicker then versus in race, plus you rarely have fuel consumption turned on for quali sessions (even in FIA) which means the game will remove the fuel weight so the car is lighter.

Hards in quali will be faster than hards in race too :)

Had a lot of fun at St. Croix yesterday, and hope to do the same today after work. Took me most of the week to get comfortable with the track, but now that i have, and started racing, it's glorious. Not that competitive in the race cars, but really enjoying the racing here.

And of course next while i am away we get goodwood. I won't be able to even run one lap.... :(
I've had some great close racing in race c. Maybe its because I'm in EMEA top split most of the time and everyone is evenly matched. Goodwood isn't a race next week it's Willow springs, suzuka and spa.

Finally got a 2nd place on Race B but all this idea of tanking my SR made me enjoy the races more I guess. I mean, before I was afraid of the slightest touch now I just don't care, of course I don't go around punting people into oblivion.

However, if someone is dirty with me I give it back, which something I never did before. Am I proud? No, but part of this is the game's fault because one can punt you which will cause you to lose 10, 15 seconds and probably put you in last while they get a 4-second penalty. They should try something more radical like if you take someone out you're out too, or you get at least a 30-second penalty. 4 seconds is NOTHING compared to what you did to the other racer.

It's Big Willow, Suzuka and Spa next week.

Edit:
I've had some great close racing in race c. Maybe its because I'm in EMEA top split most of the time and everyone is evenly matched. Goodwood isn't a race next week it's Willow springs, suzuka and spa.

The operative words here are top split.
You all know and trust each other, it's like a big party of friends racing and then the system we have now works pretty good.

Now below there are murky waters with bottom feeders and bags of dicks...

Last edited:
Generally I stick to race B (for time reasons) and I love both Gr3 & Seaside so I'm amazed that I didn't race it once yet this week. I tried Race C instead and I think Croix in the Gr4's has been the best week of racing for fair, close and fun sport that I've ever had on this game. There's been a decent mix of cars on the grid (low DR B) and just as much a mix of strategy. Generally racing has been fair and while there's always idiots the track is big enough to give them room too. Having done 2 races a night this week I reckon I've had just one orange SR sector in total.

Race C next week though already has my brain racing; Gr2 at Spa - Nice! I don't personally have enough experience on Spa but then I also had none on Croix so I reckon just Monday & Tuesday next week learning the track a little better.

Had some good races last night. I tried the McLaren for the first time and won the race.

Started P8. I was P7 by the long straight with P6 barely ahead. I managed to have a better exit and slowly pass him to P6. There was trouble ahead with one car serving a penalty. Pass that guy for 5th, 3rd and 4th was bumping back and forth. Made a quick move to avoid them as they seemed slower, cut 7th and bumped his front passenger as I thought I had more room. Nothing I could do in that moment. (He was ok). I was in 3rd before the left turn.

After that. I just kept pace until 1st and 2nd pitted.

Ever have one of those dreams where you try to run but you can only move in super slow motion? I had a racing version of that dream in the Megane Trophy, Evo and 4C yesterday.:dopey:

Gotta say they were a lot of fun though as I had to constantly try and compromise people's lines to keep their slipstream longer on the exits. The long left before the back straight was perfect for doing it as everyone was going for the wide line while I lunged and took it narrow to spoil their run every chance I got.:sly:

I'm going to be a pain in the arse in the same 3 cars again today.:lol:

Good morning friends.
Late yesterday I made the mistake...One mistake....I was sitting b on sr. I entered my no qual c. Five more no qual behind.
Normally I let everyone go, but yesterday I decided to just race, in a b b room.

It was a bloodbath, full of mirth tho. My M4 left many a smoking pile of dirty tt and rcz behind on my way to the podium, but it wasn’t the best sr wise.

St Croix is a stunner. I’m still using all aids, but gettin more comfortable there.
Today is a new day, a new existence, a new battle, today I begin again...
Time to face the enemy...

20201002_163820.jpg
I had two race C this morning. The first a CRB.
The second, well, not so much. SR99 to SR 82 in one race.
First the pole sitters greeting was "100%perfect-2800wins". That was a clear indication of staying out of his way....

I started 11 so that should be resonably easy....
Well, unfortunately on lap 3 I was right behind a very clean guy in a TT and another in a McLaren, they where batteling hard and I was waiting behind for a chance.
Then they braked earlier than I anticipated for T1 and I tapped the TT, unfortunately resulting in him hitting the Armco exactly where the hole is so dead stopping. I got 4 seconds and then I waited for him so it was likely more like 8-10.
Then we get going again and in the left hander before the straight our pole sitters comes as p15. Runs me clean off in the corner, I come to a dead stop and gets 2 seconds more... So now I serve 6 seconds on the 3d lap and lost my will to race...
I just coasted as p13 to finish line.

Here is the pole sitters, this is not the first time I meet him, and unfortunately probably not the last. If he is so fantastic why don't he become S/S and participate in world tour??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-162534_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-162534_Chrome.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29
Race C is up now as well and looks good, Gr.2 at Spa, 9 laps, 2x fuel and 8x tyres with mediums available and mandatory, plus grid start with false start check, T1 is going to be a mess!!
1st few i will start shot gun

View attachment 962115 I had two race C this morning. The first a CRB.
First the pole sitters greeting was "100%perfect-2800wins". That was a clear indication of staying out of his way....

Well, unfortunately on lap 3 I was right behind a very clean guy in a TT and another in a McLaren, they where batteling hard and I was waiting behind for a chance.
Then they braked earlier than I anticipated for T1 and I tapped the TT, unfortunately resulting in him hitting the Armco exactly where the hole is so dead stopping. I got 4 seconds and then I waited for him so it was likely more like 8-10.
Then we get going again and in the left hander before the straight our pole sitters comes as p15. Runs me clean off in the corner, I come to a dead stop and gets 2 seconds more... So now I serve 6 seconds on the 3d lap and lost my will to race...

Here is the pole sitters, this is not the first time I meet him, and unfortunately probably not the last. If he is so fantastic why don't he become S/S and participate in world tour??

That's up there with one of the worst Kudosprime stats sheet I've ever looked at :lol:

They are by far the most ludicrous stats I've seen in kudos lol. He's like a yoyo lol

Managed to finally beat my quali time on race c that I set days ago. Went from a 3:42.041 to a 3:41.568 which is 96th in EMEA and 127th in the WORLD currently. I've never been this high on the timing sheets ever. Usually I'm around the 200 mark on a good week and 500 on an average one lol

Edit just done a 3:41.2. Dunno what's going on this week

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't beat a 39.5!!!! Optimal 39 flat ... a 37 .. WHERE?

So i looked at that lap and decided to change my approach on 2 corners. Turn 2/3 the uphill corkscrew, I used the Aston and hit the brakes earlier. Also braked and turned in far earlier for the left hander entry onto the esses to giv eme a better line and a better top speed.

I managed to beat my Beetle time by 3/10ths to a 39.2, I reakon I left maybe 2/10ths out there at best so where the additional, i dunno, 1 second comes from IS BEYOND ME. Cannot fathom how you do a 37, my lap looks bang on.

Racing with the Aston is very different to the beetle. It's so strong in a straight line that holding people off is far easier.

Not the first time this guy has been mentioned either. Filthy driver. If he can't win clean, he takes people out. Come across him before and know to keep my distance.

Add to that a willingness to tank his SR/DR to claim "easy" wins at lower ranks. No wonder he's got so many wins to his name.

Not the first time this guy has been mentioned either. Filthy driver. If he can't win clean, he takes people out. Come across him before and know to keep my distance.

Add to that a willingness to tank his SR/DR to claim "easy" wins at lower ranks. No wonder he's got so many wins to his name.
In my opinion he is the Scum of the GT Sport community, him and people like him is what drags the online standards in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back