"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having a go at race B this week and its very clear that there are many players who know exactly how to barge and push a rival out of the way and not get a penalty. I've been sideswiped in to pit wall, smacked from the rear into T1, lap 1 by someone who clearly did not attempt to brake at all, pushed in to a gravel trap at T9 and some others i can't recall, no penalties in any case.

So as much as the penalty system is (imho) not right, one race did highlight the problem - I was close behind another car who would brake in the middle of some corners, worst of all he did it in the middle of T8, which is flat - I had nowhere to go so hit him, not enough to send him off or cause him a problem, but still, it caused me to have a lack of momentum which meant my exit was screwed and couldn't pass him, then we'd get to another corner and he'd do the same thing. If I created a gap he was still in the wrong place on exit, so couldn't pass. If the penalty system was strict I'd have ended up with penalties all over the place, due to his braking - people would soon learn this and be braking in the middle of a corner unecessarily causing a chasing car to get a penalty. I don't know if there's an answer really...

I did manage to get one win and now C/S, my biggest problem is I'm low 2:05s, fastest laps are 2:01, where the heck 4 seconds is I honestly don't know. I've noticed you can sacrifice some entry speed for a better exit but how I gain roughly 1 sec per sector I've no idea.

Last edited:
Been having a go at race B this week and its very clear that there are many players who know exactly how to barge and push a rival out of the way and not get a penalty. I've been sideswiped in to pit wall, smacked from the rear into T1, lap 1 by someone who clearly did not attempt to brake at all, pushed in to a gravel trap at T9 and some others i can't recall, no penalties in any case.

So as much as the penalty system is (imho) not right, one race did highlight the problem - I was close behind another car who would brake in the middle of some corners, worst of all he did it in the middle of T8, which is flat - I had nowhere to go so hit him, not enough to send him off or cause him a problem, but still, it caused me to have a lack of momentum which meant my exit was screwed and couldn't pass him, then we'd get to another corner and he'd do the same thing. If I created a gap he was still in the wrong place on exit, so couldn't pass. If the penalty system was strict I'd have ended up with penalties all over the place, due to his braking - people would soon learn this and be braking in the middle of a corner unecessarily causing a chasing car to get a penalty. I don't know if there's an answer really...

I did manage to get one win and now C/S, my biggest problem is I'm low 2:05s, fastest laps are 2:01, where the heck 4 seconds is I honestly don't know. I've noticed you can sacrifice some entry speed for a better exit but how I gain rought 1 sec per sector I've no idea.
Yep. Watched a Scirocco not even brake into T1. It was a couple cars ahead of me. Behind a WRX. As the WRX releases the throttle and stays a bit left, the Scirocco releases the throttle, moves a bit right and accelerates and steers for a F-Type, to use as a brake, at the apex. After it T-boned the F-Type, it accelerates gingerly and keeps going. No penalty.

I got a one second penalty before the final corner, because I side tapped a TT, that was blocking me for the last lap. It over ran the exit of the final chicane and nearly squeezes me to the pit entry. I side tapped it, to move it from punting me.

A different TT in a different race, did the old rear bumper tap in the braking zone. Good thing I released the brake a bit and made the final chicane. No penalty for the TT.

Monza might be crazy for the parabolica. Of course T1, but maybe diving at T5&6. Someone goes into the kitty litter there and the perp will be long gone. Probably no penalty.

Every single corner at Monza could be a problem if you are up against a punt to pass driver.
All 3 chicanes will get you a shortcut penalty for being punted.
Curva grande you will have to back off loads if you are run wide.
Lesmos and parabolica will put you in the sand after light contact.

All I see is potential for nothing but barge passes into T1 all race, there will be no penalties so people will throw it in, miss the apex, push you wide and keep on their merry way.

Game is broken.

And punts in to the first gear corners, you'll end up off track and take a good 10 seconds to rejoin, meantime they'll be down the road ready to do it again next time.

There must be something that PD can do - they wrote the physics model, if a car ends up slowing or off track due to contact surely thats a penalty? Unless the changes and the result is deliberate? Surely it must be easy to detect that two cars are making contact and one is steering in to the other, just waiting for a corner to push the other car off ?

I'm going to assume it won't change until GT7 at best..

Last edited:
I've never understood why they can't do a better job with penalties. Brake deeper that usual, contact someone in front and send them wide or off, penalty. Side by side with another car on the straight, steer into them so they go off, penalty. Bump a car mid corner so they go wide, take the position, don't give it back on the next straight, penalty. Look, I've solved it!

Maybe so, but I'll still be throwing in laps and trying to make the most of what is on offer, regardless of the state of the penalty system.

Same here

s, you need to always, always,always hold the inside line or you just get pushed off.

9682741D-4E8C-4B47-ACD2-2B31A8018342.gif

Imo we must race according to the rules of the series, or game. If it’s gonna be tough you gotta be tough too.

I like Interlagos because often you can escape the mess.

Last edited:
Other impact of the thunderdome rules is a good handling car thats abit low on power is useless. You get bombed, side swiped etc and as you recover you are slower tobthr next corner than the guy that bombed you in an rcz, so you are within bombing range of the next rcz. Before you know it you are last.

I’ve been having good luck in Mustang tcs3. RCZ just bounce off.
The thing to do is shove by one and THEN the next one, so then if you get ahead a bit they fight each other.
Sometimes though they hang up. One race last turn they went 3 wide behind me and simultaneously hit me, shoving me off track...

Discovered a new twist to dailies that is my now favorite way to play.
Racing at NGP a guy that was just full on dirty (A S class racing) I passed him when he took a guy out in hairpin & went wide, he punted me at chicane.
He was in next race so I called him out with a warning to everyone he was dirty & to beware, he started 4th & I started 12th he slowed down so I caught up to him in corner 3 he tried to take me out.
I ended up spinning him & finished in front of him.

This has gone on all week I've raced him several times a day & I call him out every race & he waits to try to crash me, He is one of those fast but dirty guys & I guess calling him out really made him mad but even though I've finished next to last in every race with him he's finished last, he'll be gone for a bit after losing SR but I've had over 15 races with him this week so far & it's been the most fun I've had in months!

From now on if someone is dirty I'll call them out in pre race, makes it a lot more fun making dirty drivers angry!

Found a new way to play!
Got him in a race this morning & called him out & of course he waited for me to crash me but I tried something different.
Since he was slow to wait for me this time I kept it full gas & as I came up beside him I paused the game which ghosts my car & when he swerved in to me in turn 1 instead of crashing me he passed thru me in to the sand trap LOL! I never saw him again that race.
I hope I get to race him more this is fun!

It makes it more fun when you get a rival, and you don’t like them and they don’t like you and there’s no penalties. It really feels more like racing, albeit with indestructible cars and no rules...Fun, in a brutal way, but it will make you a better racer if you embrace the fight, and know how to end it when needed.

Found a new way to play!
Got him in a race this morning & called him out & of course he waited for me to crash me but I tried something different.
Since he was slow to wait for me this time I kept it full gas & as I came up beside him I paused the game which ghosts my car & when he swerved in to me in turn 1 instead of crashing me he passed thru me in to the sand trap LOL! I never saw him again that race.
I hope I get to race him more this is fun!
Let me see if I got this right...I can pause during the game, the computer takes over and ghosts me until I un-pause? Can I pause when I'm on the brakes, and will my car make the corner? Why didn't I know this? So next time I'm about to get punted, I can hit pause, and he'll go right through me, and I can continue on? Damn, that's awesome!

As to the current state of penalties, I am of the opinion that it's MUCH better this way, than the way it was before the change. I try to be clean, and have almost never gotten reset. This way a dirty driver can ruin races, but if you try to race clean, you can have some great races, and try to avoid the jerks. The way it was, you could be in a room with guys trying to race clean, and multiple people could have their race ruined because someone made an innocent mistake, like spinning out or catching the grass on exit, and the penalties, even if you didn't touch anyone, would put you in last place AND kill your SR.

I gotta try the pause trick. If it works in the brake zone, or while trail braking, I'll never be a berm again!

makes it more fun when you get a rival, and you don’t like them and they don’t like you and there’s no penalties. It really feels more like racing, albeit with indestructible cars and no rules...Fun, in a brutal way, but it will make you a better racer if you embrace the fight, and know how to end it when needed.
Oooooooh yeah brother :mischievous: Could not have said it better :gtpflag:

Last edited:
After an encouraging night yesterday, I am at the point of shelving this game under the current penalty system. Here are my 4 races ronight;

1) seemingly every driver dirty, complete fiasco. Barged back from 5th to last.

2) matched in a brutal room, not bad racing wise

3) fighting for 1st but 3rd RELENTLESSLY hitting me. Every damn corner he would dive in and try the push pass. Absolutely ridiculous. Eventually I retaliated and ran myself off too, down to 13th

4) tough room, settles into a battle for 7th. Guy passes me, a little rubbing but I give him benefit of doubt. I get alongside through turn 2, pushes me wide, I thought, sometimes that happens on outside as a driver turns hard the other way. I get another run up the outside of final turn, we are neck and neck entering the main straight and he runs me off clearly on purpose.

I'm seriously over it. Does anyone here want to race weeknights 9pm ton11pm EST? We need to start a league because this is utter BS.

I went online last night and looked for a "lobby with Friends" - 1AM EST. Happily raced there for a bit. @OutsiderC was there too.

The "Push Pass", "inside with contact", the "run wide" and the "constant tapping" always brought a risk of a penalty so folks tended to be careful. Now, some drivers routinely use it and it is hard to tell who is going to run fair or not.

Last edited:
As to the current state of penalties, I am of the opinion that it's MUCH better this way, than the way it was before the change. I try to be clean, and have almost never gotten reset. This way a dirty driver can ruin races, but if you try to race clean, you can have some great races, and try to avoid the jerks. The way it was, you could be in a room with guys trying to race clean, and multiple people could have their race ruined because someone made an innocent mistake, like spinning out or catching the grass on exit, and the penalties, even if you didn't touch anyone, would put you in last place AND kill your SR.

Agree it was way too harsh before, I always try to be clean and was reset 5 times in 130 races, just bonkers. But now, it's no fun, all you need is one lunatic and it's game on. There is also distrust building, maybe you and I plan to race clean but one of us makes a small error and we nudge, now the other guy is nervous you're a dirty player and he starts ramming because i tis dog eat dog, if you don't push the other guy off first he will take you out so you cannot be second guessing. Look up, race 4 last night exactly what happened, i gave benefit of the doubt and ended up last.

Joyless.

Let me see if I got this right...I can pause during the game, the computer takes over and ghosts me until I un-pause? Can I pause when I'm on the brakes, and will my car make the corner? Why didn't I know this? So next time I'm about to get punted, I can hit pause, and he'll go right through me, and I can continue on? Damn, that's awesome!

I gotta try the pause trick. If it works in the brake zone, or while trail braking, I'll never be a berm again!

I thought the PAUSE thing was a joke. No, it is real. Folks use it on the straight to rest their fingers, silence the phone, reset cones or whatever. It loses time though and is worse in the corners and is tolerable on the straights.

Reading the comments and we are in the same boat. Race A and B are a disgrace. Sprint races, dirty SR.S and half the field in the same second give no time to settle in the race. It's just pure madness from the beginning to the end.

In one race I ended up bumping a guy in a braking zone and I get a penalty (honest mistake), fair enough, but I don't get how the rest of the field didn't have a penalty for what I saw during the race.:yuck:

Also, I saw some people cutting the last part of the chicane at Nurburgring. It was not the "contact with a car and then cut" no penalty but proper cut. I think you have to do the first left normally and then cut far enough to the right and not touch the pole.

I jumped in Race C and have lonely races at the back against myself, trying to be consistent and gain some places.

Yes but the AI will be lot slower than your pace. I guess it may not affect your lap time much if it just paused for short period of time.

<...snip...> There is also distrust building, maybe you and I plan to race clean but one of us makes a small error and we nudge, now the other guy is nervous you're a dirty player and he starts ramming because i tis dog eat dog, if you don't push the other guy off first he will take you out so you cannot be second guessing. <...snip...>

Distrust- case in point. I purposely pushed a guy wide today. I watched the replay. He did nothing wrong and made a good pass and good subsequent defense - he kept the spot. Sent him a PS4 regret-note afterwards.

I had never done that in the old system.

I know that we have rehashed this many times. The problem in the old system was the DR resets. There are dirty drivers and we need to live with them. It is certainly not fair to shovel them off into the C/D lobbies where the racers are even less equipped to combat them. Better that they be penalized in-race even if the cost is some bad penalty calls. Yeah, I hate the 4 second penalty for hitting the car returning to the track but I prefer that to the current state.

Last edited:
Agree it was way too harsh before, I always try to be clean and was reset 5 times in 130 races, just bonkers. But now, it's no fun, all you need is one lunatic and it's game on. There is also distrust building, maybe you and I plan to race clean but one of us makes a small error and we nudge, now the other guy is nervous you're a dirty player and he starts ramming because i tis dog eat dog, if you don't push the other guy off first he will take you out so you cannot be second guessing. Look up, race 4 last night exactly what happened, i gave benefit of the doubt and ended up last.

Joyless.
exactly the other night at susuka going thru the right hander on the run up to spoon had a guy on my outside that I had problems with earlier in the race shoving me wide in turn 1 I was able to keep it going so FF to later in the race i caught him was on the inside on the run up to spoon and i just ran him wide into the grass it is a shame it has to be this way but was not going to let him run me wide( for the 2nd time) at spoon like he had done earlier in the race ........WELCOME TO THE OCTAGON SON.........LOL thats going to be my new entry message

Last edited:
Reading the comments and we are in the same boat. Race A and B are a disgrace. Sprint races, dirty SR.S and half the field in the same second give no time to settle in the race. It's just pure madness from the beginning to the end.

In one race I ended up bumping a guy in a braking zone and I get a penalty (honest mistake), fair enough, but I don't get how the rest of the field didn't have a penalty for what I saw during the race.:yuck:

Also, I saw some people cutting the last part of the chicane at Nurburgring. It was not the "contact with a car and then cut" no penalty but proper cut. I think you have to do the first left normally and then cut far enough to the right and not touch the pole.

I jumped in Race C and have lonely races at the back against myself, trying to be consistent and gain some places.

Yes but the AI will be lot slower than your pace. I guess it may not affect your lap time much if it just paused for short period of time.
So just before contact in a hairpin, I hit pause, he flies through me, unpause in time to drive out, and I only lost a couple 10ths, vs getting hit or trying to dodge. Both take more time, so I'm gonna try it. Would be great when they try to bump you off the outside of a sweeper, too (@jad866 )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back