"Daily" Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 7,163 comments
Cruising down Mulsanne Straight at 200+mph, all by myself, my mind wandered back to the last time I actually drove along it.
It was the mid 1980's, we were heading south and we did the whole thing flat out .... In our fully loaded 2CV6.
70 miles per hour all the way 😀🤘🏻🐌🐌🐌
Perhaps 80 mph if you had slipstream 😅

Race C in pole (nice change, but I'm sitting with a 1:34.234) Bumped to 4th at 1st chicane and rammed a couple more times. Apart from hitting one guy who braked half way down the straight, I'm exaggerating but not that much as I braked well early because of slip and still had no chance of avoiding him, I never hit anyone. So I was fairly clean and yet lost 30 SR and some who had deliberately hit me were blue, such a great and fair system. Still managed to crawl back to 4th for a decent finish.

Cruising down Mulsanne Straight at 200+mph, all by myself, my mind wandered back to the last time I actually drove along it.
It was the mid 1980's, we were heading south and we did the whole thing flat out .... In our fully loaded 2CV6.
70 miles per hour all the way 😀🤘🏻🐌🐌🐌
College Accuse GIF

You can't reach 70 in that rustbucket.
Whatever car you're using, I need that!
Same. I thought the Tommo was GrX.

Last night had some unexpected high quality racing at Sarthe. Fast rooms as well. I managed to get 3:04.9 lap in once, yet the leaders do 3:03 and even a 3:02 lap. On my own (no draft) I get 3:06s on softs. I feel my car doesn't steer in as fast compare to I suspect people on wheels. I'm losing time at Tetre rouge where I often see the car in front whip it into the turn while my car is much slower to get to max steering angle. Same thing going into the Porsche corners.

Racing was great and 3:06 laps are more than enough to do well from the back. The grids are very much spread out yet at least everyone knows the track. The last time I played (been a while) some people were still unsure where to brake causing problems in these fast cars. What also helps is that it's all GR.C and mostly R92CPs. Same cars, less trouble.

Of course there are still some trouble makers and they get away with everything. Shoving, pushing from the side and into corners happens plenty. The only advantage of no penalties, and thus no faulty penalties, is that you don't get pulled back in the penalty zone to get stuck behind the troublemakers again. Yet most people seem to want a fair race, bump drafting doesn't trigger penalties (it does deduct SR) and the mandatory pit stops help to keep everyone at the same ish pace.

It's a shame that to get decent racing all the strategies have to leave the game. One make, no fuel saving, no no stop option, everyone same tires, hardly any gain from drafting. (274 kph instead of 272 kph top speed) But fun to race on Sarthe again and the R92CP handles the Porsche curves and Maison Blanche amazingly well on medium and softs. Feels so nice to power through there.

Btw, 'clean' racing is from 9pm EST to midnight EST. In the morning is good as well (during school hours) but the grids are very random spread out. After the schools go out it becomes chaos and later at night fast bad apples show up. It all depends on what time you try to race.

Last edited:
I just cannot race with A drivers at seaside. I start p10 to 15 and only gain spots if guys bin it at the chicane. I don't feel slow but....I'm slow. Qualy 37.7, just not fast enough but optimal is 37.4 and i don't have more in me.
I think there are 3-4 tenths just in a hail mary thru the CoD, so that's driving the qualifying times down. I've had to work by @&$ off just to get close to that 37.4, which coincidentally is my K' target myself. (and my K' targets usually put me at >70% of A drivers, for a decent qualifying spot in top splits... so I'm beholden to that if I don't want to start in the back). Still haven't gotten there, though I've got a 37.0 as optimal... not sure I'll get there, it's just on the razor's edge and I have a hard time to put all three segments together, including that hail mary drive through the chicane.

@Sven Jurgens ...interesting you note that initial steering action... I've often wondered how people are getting that 'bite' on replays, when my car won't turn like that. I'm on G29...

I am convinced that I'm missing something. Part of it may be that I'm too gentle on entry, but the game should allow that, where it seems to favor big inputs early (think JPM and Alonso hands). It's all part of my belief that while the game tries hard to be a 'sim', it's really a game that makes you target defined inputs, meeting limit windows, instead of actually modeling what you do.

Last edited:
Next week's dailies:

Race A: N400 @ Bathurst | 2 laps | RH
Race B: Gr.4 @ Suzuka East | 7 laps | RM
Race C: Gr.3 @ Fuji | 12 laps | RS/RM | Tyres x7 | Fuel x2
Race A at Bathurst is very rare. I can't even recall a previous A race there.
Gr.4 at Suzuka East seems kind of odd, too.
My first instinct is that they mixed up the tracks for A and B. Reverse those and it looks like a normal week. Oh well, we asked for variety, we got variety. I'm not going to complain.

I am convinced that I'm missing something. Part of it may be that I'm too gentle on entry, but the game should allow that, where it seems to favor big inputs early (think JPM and Alonso hands). It's all part of my belief that while the game tries hard to be a 'sim', it's really a game that makes you target defined inputs, meeting limit windows, instead of actually modeling what you do.
I felt this way too. So I started doing the Driving School again. Aiming for faster times is kind of like testing/calibrating your set up. I figure if anything is possible on one turn, then it should be for more.

And yes it's noticeable once you get to your peak, it starts to feel like hitting windows set up by the game.

On my main account I have 1375 races. 22 wins.
Do you know why I am still racing? Because for me the satisfaction is in the racing, the battle for position, be it #1 0r #16.
The really good races are at least as often in midpack as in the front.

When you are being matched with all A+ it's because you are getting better and the game puts you up against better racers.
I believe we grow facing competition.
No one grows from seal clubbing.
I don't want to be clubbing seals at all, that's no fun hence i don't tank my DR on purpose. Thing is, I am the seal right now, which is fine but not all the time.

I felt this way too. So I started doing the Driving School again. Aiming for faster times is kind of like testing/calibrating your set up. I figure if anything is possible on one turn, then it should be for more.

And yes it's noticeable once you get to your peak, it starts to feel like hitting windows set up by the game.
EXACTLY. And as one who has been at the limit in real cars and done enough karting, I know there are different ways to move a car through a turn... but the game seems to think there is only one.

I probably should do the Driving School challenges again, I'm sure I can still learn. I've recently made some good improvements just in changing my approach a bit, and I bet I'd learn more again this time around.

EXACTLY. And as one who has been at the limit in real cars and done enough karting, I know there are different ways to move a car through a turn... but the game seems to think there is only one.

I probably should do the Driving School challenges again, I'm sure I can still learn. I've recently made some good improvements just in changing my approach a bit, and I bet I'd learn more again this time around.
I get what you mean, but a seal you are not. You say you struggle to reach top 10, but the fact that you reach it is a sign that you are in the lobbies you should be in.

Strange, wrong quote.. was for @NevilleNobody

Last edited:
Turns 2 and 3, the uphill cork at seaside, gives you a pretty good idea of what you need to do. Combination of the highest mid corner speed you can manage as well as an early exit generate the low times. Easier said than done.

A good road car race ruined by racing tyres.... :(
That would imply that they are giving us one of the faster N400 cars that is otherwise a bit of a handful on SS tyres. Not that I'm cheering for the RH tyres though - I just finished the offline MR series in a 650S with SS tyres.

That would imply that they are giving us one of the faster N400 cars that is otherwise a bit of a handful on SS tyres. Not that I'm cheering for the RH tyres though - I just finished the offline MR series in a 650S with SS tyres.
I wouldn't mind these tyres if they didn't feel so unnatural. I don't know if it's a mistake in simulation, or a real thing, but they just feel so strange. But I guess for most players, especially beginners, these tyres will be better.

Lol 2 races (C) to go from SR.S (96) to SR.D (11) and reset to 7K DR. That's what racing at dirty hour gets you...

First race, lot of rammers, lot of contact. Coming from the back through the field makes you the one that gets hit the most when people drive like that. To SR.B in that race (44).

Second race in SR.B, straight from the start people started fighting. I made it to first in that race despite all the side swaps and ramming, but got disconnected in the last lap. To SR.D

Seems to work as intended 💩

Last edited:
Two more races tonight with one dirty lobby and a clean lobby.

Race 1 I’m starting P14 with a few A rank racers on the starting grid. I can’t get by a Beetle, and that held me up and that slows me down. I finally get by in the “snorkel” on lap 2 and get a good run out of the CoD. But the driver in front of me throws a block as I try to pass on the “inside” of the slight curve leading to the final hairpin. I’ve pulled this move tons of times and never had a problem with drivers leaving space. I attempt to get by them in the front straight next lap, and they shove me off track on the apex of turn 1. Race is basically over but, P13 at the time brakes way early and I accidentally get into the back of them before the turn before the esses. So naturally they try to shove me off track as the esses start. I back off and finish P14 as I’m sure they would pull off the same dirty stuff as soon as I got beside them. I manage to lose 6 SR points thanks to all the dummies in the lobby.

Race 2 I start P9 and the driver who threw the block is in the lobby, so I keep an eye out for them (spoiler, it won’t matter). Like yesterday, I gain a few spots after some lap 1 CoD visits from others. Lap 2, I gain a spot when P5 goes too deep on the uphill chicane. Next lap, I gain another spot when P2 visits the CoD and I’m up to P4. Final lap, P1 forgets to turn or gets a bad bounce off the kerb on the quick right-hander before the turn before the esses and resets and I finish with a nice P3 in the end.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210924182133.jpg

And with that I’m done for the week. I don’t want to risk any more SR if any of the races were like the first one I did. I couldn’t get a feel for Le Mans with the older Group C cars. Well, the Nissan was the only one I drove, but the others would be the same for me. I did try the Mazda LM55 at one point, it was easier to control but I was easily 2-3 seconds off my normal lap times. I would be way off pace with everyone else and that's no fun. I gave it an honest shot but it wasn't to be this time.

Daily Race “B”

1st Race
Started 4th; finished 7th.I moved up to 2nd on the 1st lap thanks to the driver in 1st getting passed by #2 from the slipstream. Then, 2nd place grazed the wall coming out of the chicane, and that was enough for me to pass him, as well. Cool, I’m in 2nd with a pretty good lead on the rest of the field. Then lap 2 happened. At the top of the hill, I totally missed the braking point and proceeded to go straight off the track and into the wall. I reset back on the track, in ghost, with the next 5 drivers all passing me. I was majorly pissed; obviously at myself for making yet another idiotic mistake. I drove a flawless 1st lap. And laps 3 and 4 were pretty dang good, too. But lap? That lap can suck it…..’cause I sure did.
I was even more happy because I’d set a new personal best for qualifying with a time of 1:39.896 (1st time under 1:40 for this race).

2nd Race
Started 4, again; finished 2nd. Finally got ALL the good laps in a single race. At the start, 3rd place did…..something. I don’t know what it was, but it wasn’t start the race. When the timer hit 0, he just kind of rolled slowly along while everyone else took off. So up to 3rd I went before the 1st turn. I stayed there for a bit, then 2nd place decided to hit the wall after the chicane hard enough to go ghost and slow down a good bit. That allowed me to cruise by easily. Up to 2nd I went. And there I stayed to the end. I kept 1st place in sight at all times. We were pretty evenly matched for the most part. I’d get close in the turns; he’d pull away on the straights. I caught up to him on lap 2 and ALMOST passed him in the final turn. I was on the outside and had the speed. He moved over to defend (good move, I would’ve done the same), and I lifted ever so slightly so as not to cause both of us to go off the track and probably spin out. If I’d have moved right to try and nudge him over and make the pass, I was afraid I would’ve been too quick to do it and lost control for a bit and do more harm than good. So I let it be and carried on. 3rd place was coming on strong, too. He was in the Viper and was tearing it up along the straights. I was thinking he was going to get in the slipstream and pass me coming across the line (on lap 2), but I guess he ran a bit wide on that final turn and lost a lot of speed. Because coming up the hill to the Start/Finish line, it wasn’t him behind me anymore. But that’s OK, because it meant they were further back and not a real threat to pass me at that point. So I made it my mission to drive as clean as I could, make no mistakes, and come home in 2nd; which I did. I didn’t get the clean race award because I hit the wall on the left coming out of the chicane. It wasn't enough to make me slow down a lot or even enough for anyone to get close enough to try a pass (they were still pretty far back). But I’m OK with that, too as I’d rather have a good race, maybe make a couple very small mistakes, and finish in 2nd than run a completely clean race and finish further down the list. Or worse, keep eating the chicane on each lap and finished dead last. Trust me, I know exactly how that feels.

I'm done for the night, too. I got a late start so I could only do 2 races. But I'm good with how I finished so I'll end it on a higher-than-usual note.

Last edited:
I think there are 3-4 tenths just in a hail mary thru the CoD, so that's driving the qualifying times down. I've had to work by @&$ off just to get close to that 37.4, which coincidentally is my K' target myself. (and my K' targets usually put me at >70% of A drivers, for a decent qualifying spot in top splits... so I'm beholden to that if I don't want to start in the back). Still haven't gotten there, though I've got a 37.0 as optimal... not sure I'll get there, it's just on the razor's edge and I have a hard time to put all three segments together, including that hail mary drive through the chicane.

@Sven Jurgens ...interesting you note that initial steering action... I've often wondered how people are getting that 'bite' on replays, when my car won't turn like that. I'm on G29...

If you get your first sector under 32.8 and brake a little early on the last turn to maximize exit speed you'll get there. Once I started breaking at the cone and made sure to hit the apex, straighten the wheel and get on the throttle early it was .4 over my norm.

You can also try going -1 on BB and coast in to the apex a bit if your using the Supra. For my style I do better with less trail braking in that car i'm at 36.7 still lifting a touch in the cod.

And I totally agree on the steering input. It gives me fits because it's that much different than what I've done in real cars.

If you get your first sector under 32.8 and brake a little early on the last turn to maximize exit speed you'll get there. Once I started breaking at the cone and made sure to hit the apex, straighten the wheel and get on the throttle early it was .4 over my norm.

You can also try going -1 on BB and coast in to the apex a bit if your using the Supra. For my style I do better with less trail braking in that car i'm at 36.7 still lifting a touch in the cod.

And I totally agree on the steering input. It gives me fits because it's that much different than what I've done in real cars.
Yeah on steering input: IRL I like to ease in the front end, feel it load up then power on through the apex balancing how much I’m putting on the fronts while pushing the rear through. But the game simply doesn’t allow that. One: the steering input is not modeled accurately to the tire load in that transition and Two: there is a weird interaction between power-on and braking loads where it kind of nullifies the transfer to the front end during braking/throttle transitions or it simply flips the whole car weight in a binary way instead of allowing you to work the front and rear independently.

Back