Daily, weekly and monthly rivals

Rivals 488 Challenge at Silverstone GP.

Overcast weather conditions at Silverstone. My friend @Toblerone I see you on the front page again. Nice job buddy!

I got down to 6 attempts remaining to get this video run where I got down to the 2:00.513 time.

This Rivals mode is one of the most fun multiplayer events in PC3. Racing against 3 Rivals ghost cars and it changes after you improve each time is something PC3 deserves some credit for implementing for multiplayer.
Also with the limited attempts leaderboard, this to me is what real life competition is like, contestants only get a limited amount of runs so make it count and feel the pressure when you're almost out of attempts.

I wanted to share two videos here.

Below is my outside view doing Rivals with my best time. The second one is when I started off experimenting with the Helment Look to Apex cockpit camera.

Helmet Look To Apex turned to MEDIUM.
FOV is set to 82
CAMERA SHAKE is set to OFF When I first tried Helmet Look To Apex in PC3 it was disorienting because I had the FOV up to like 90+ values. Then I used values much lower and it was much more playable, even with HIGH setting. I found this setting to provide a good FOV and Apex look.

Last edited:
@BreakerOhio Great run bud... I was so annoyed with myself not getting into the 2:00 times. I didn't get on with the 488 at all, such a lack of grip at the front... she really needs her nose forced into the apexes for a good exit. I failed miserably and let my frustration get the better of me tbh... very disappointed with my time in this event.

@BreakerOhio Great run bud... I was so annoyed with myself not getting into the 2:00 times. I didn't get on with the 488 at all, such a lack of grip at the front... she really needs her nose forced into the apexes for a good exit. I failed miserably and let my frustration get the better of me tbh... very disappointed with my time in this event.

I agree on the front nose, this car needs a little help with tossing the weight forward under braking, and then timing the throttle to get that nice balanced rotation through the apex and exit.

I agree on the front nose, this car needs a little help with tossing the weight forward under braking, and then timing the throttle to get that nice balanced rotation through the apex and exit.

My time sucked on PC. I was 11th hours ago with a 2:02.xxx. I was really too tired to make a run after working last night. Then, I get a nap in and back tonight.

Edit: I kept running wide at Turn 5. I just couldn't get it right on a good run after the first 4 turns.

Last edited:
That 488 was all about very, very fine balance. As Breaker says, it needed to be forcibly rotated under aggressive braking into most apexes and then followed by either an absolutely perfect line or a slight lift to stop her from washing out on fast exits. That was a proper drivers' car, it needed real skill and knowledge to get the best out of it.. I just ran out of talent.

Next!

Today is a Hot Lap at Road America in the Porsche 917/10 Can-Am. Crazy fast car on all the long, long straights, but it can be hard to keep the tail under it when accelerating off the corners (and where the rear goes, the front will follow shortly and you'll be off in the grass somewhere before you know it...). Master the kink and time your acceleration out of the long sweeper just right for a good lap time here.

Damn, I missed the 488. I should have hopefully been quite good in it because I've had a few races. :)

experimenting with the Helmet Look to Apex cockpit camera.
I quite like look to apex, but mainly for immersion when racing against the AI. Some of the helmet options are a bit annoying though in obscuring your vision. I use FOV at 82 as well. 👍

If you have an attached keyboard you can adjust your view and position at any time.
If it helps anyone, click below.
project cars how to adjust view ps4.jpeg
[No Input]
Standard Mode:
Numpad 2,4,6,8: Look around (similar effect of using the right stick).

[Press Ctrl+k once] Speed sensitive depth of field switched off.
MODE 1:
Numpad 5: Reset
Numpad 8/2: Pitch Up/Down
Numpad 4/6: Yaw Left/Right
Q/E: Pan Left/Right
W/S: Pan Up/Down
A/D: Zoom In/Out
Numpad +/-: Adjust FOV

[Press Ctrl+k a second time]
MODE 2:
Numpad +/-: Adjust FOV Faster
W/S: Move Forward/Backward
A/D: Move Left/Right
Z/C: Roll Left/Right

[Press Ctrl+k a third time]
Standard Mode: Speed sensitive DoF back on.

[NOTES]
-SHIFT key in combination with any of the above: slow down camera movement
-Numpad 5: reset to original settings for current camera
-Controls may be inverted based on camera orientation.
-This can be used while paused or while driving.
-Camera positions are saved for each individual view for the race, but are reset when leaving the race.

I found the 917 a better drive than the 488 yesterday.

It's definitely balanced a lot better, and is a lot more nimble. As long as you take it easy on the gas until you've got it pointed in the right direction (especially in the lower gears), it handles the corners very nicely. Just gotta respect that speed and brake in good time, because at the end of those loooong straights, you are going a lot faster than you think, and while the thing stops really well, it still takes a while to slow it down from 320+ km/h.

Damn, I missed the 488. I should have hopefully been quite good in it because I've had a few races. :)

I quite like look to apex, but mainly for immersion when racing against the AI. Some of the helmet options are a bit annoying though in obscuring your vision. I use FOV at 82 as well. 👍

If you have an attached keyboard you can adjust your view and position at any time.
If it helps anyone, click below.
View attachment 994460[No Input]
Standard Mode:
Numpad 2,4,6,8: Look around (similar effect of using the right stick).

[Press Ctrl+k once] Speed sensitive depth of field switched off.
MODE 1:
Numpad 8/2: Pitch Up/Down
Numpad 4/6: Yaw Left/Right
Q/E: Pan Left/Right
W/S: Pan Up/Down
A/D: Zoom In/Out
Numpad +/-: Adjust FOV

[Press Ctrl+k a second time]
MODE 2:
Numpad +/-: Adjust FOV Faster
W/S: Move Forward/Backward
A/D: Move Left/Right
Z/C: Roll Left/Right

[Press Ctrl+k a third time]
Standard Mode: Speed sensitive DoF back on.

[NOTES]
-SHIFT key in combination with any of the above: slow down camera movement
-Numpad 5: reset to original settings for current camera
-Controls may be inverted based on camera orientation.
-This can be used while paused or while driving.
-Camera positions are saved for each individual view for the race, but are reset when leaving the race.

Yes I like it for the immersion too. I have to get used to it more. I tried it in online racing last night and it was very fun. We had a lobby with 8-9 racers last night!

I do have a keyboard. I will have to try that out. Good tip thanks

Today is a Sunday night Hot Lap on the Green Hell in an Acura NSX GT3. This car isn't terribly fast, and it's very stable, with rather neutral handling, so it's pretty sedate; just keep off the curbs, hit your marks, and don't make any silly mistakes.

Just started playing in the Rivals yesterday. Didn't do too bad, got Silver in the Porsche and Lotus events and golded Shanghai with the 190 Evo!

Is it the Nordschleife or 24h layout? I'm assuming the former since I doubt anyone can get a 7:00 on the combined course.

Just started playing in the Rivals yesterday. Didn't do too bad, got Silver in the Porsche and Lotus events and golded Shanghai with the 190 Evo!

Is it the Nordschleife or 24h layout? I'm assuming the former since I doubt anyone can get a 7:00 on the combined course.

Just Nordschleife on its own.

Today is a Sunday night Hot Lap on the Green Hell in an Acura NSX GT3. This car isn't terribly fast, and it's very stable, with rather neutral handling, so it's pretty sedate; just keep off the curbs, hit your marks, and don't make any silly mistakes.

This car is very stable and doesn't get out of hand. Must be the downforce for the GT3 class. Sedate is a good word for it. It's uneventful and very balanced, very smooth to drive clean. Not like the Nissan Siloiette we had a couple events back.

I think the NSX GT3 downshifts sound really good at the Ring!?
I wonder if it is the from the weather being winter and night that the sounds echo so good on the downshifts.

This event is a nice drive as I can see the stars in the background.

Hell of a lap @Toblerone with a time in the 6:30s putting you currently in ninth!

Edit: After doing more attempts and pushing it's limits more. It can get loose.

Last edited:
This car is very stable and doesn't get out of hand. Must be the downforce for the GT3 class. Sedate is a good word for it. It's uneventful and very balanced, very smooth to drive clean. Not like the Nissan Siloiette we had a couple events back.

I think the NSX GT3 downshifts sound really good at the Ring!?
I wonder if it is the from the weather being winter and night that the sounds echo so good on the downshifts.

This event is a nice drive as I can see the stars in the background.

Hell of a lap @Toblerone with a time in the 6:30s putting you currently in ninth!

I pulled a conservative platinum. I didn't have much time and after 2 runs of my rear stepping out on the last half of the track. I was just trying to get a time.

I pulled a conservative platinum. I didn't have much time and after 2 runs of my rear stepping out on the last half of the track. I was just trying to get a time.

The Nurburgring Nordschleife was quite the challenge. I wrecked a few times pushing the limits more and more as I ran through my limited attempts. I got down to a 6:43.5. this Rivals event was fun. In the PS4 rankings we have most flags from Germany in the top ranks this Rivals, for their home track.

The Nurburgring Nordschleife was quite the challenge. I wrecked a few times pushing the limits more and more as I ran through my limited attempts. I got down to a 6:43.5. this Rivals event was fun. In the PS4 rankings we have most flags from Germany in the top ranks this Rivals, for their home track.

If, you noticed. I still had 15 attempts. I ran two quick stints to Aremberg to get a feel of the vehicle. Then 2 failed runs at the back half. I didn't really want to screw that last run, since it was my last attempt.

If, you noticed. I still had 15 attempts. I ran two quick stints to Aremberg to get a feel of the vehicle. Then 2 failed runs at the back half. I didn't really want to screw that last run, since it was my last attempt.

I've done 17 attempts. This track isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I can pull a hero lap with the 3 remaining laps.

Those are great times, gentlemen, well done. I did a few attempts (maybe 5 or 6, of which 2 or 3 had to be abandoned...) and got to just under 6:50, which at the time was good enough for 50th and platinum, but by one or two places. The 7-minute focus at a time is a bit much for a Sunday afternoon, so I stopped after that. Will check later where the chips fell at the end.
The car was very stable indeed; it made it more enjoyable than the usual wrestling match around there, but still hard work. I don't think I concentrate as much at any other track!

It was Blue Hell for me. I didn't get a go because my blu ray player seems to have failed and wouldn't access the disc. It's a technical problem for sure! I'll have to get my pit crew to look into it. Oops, shush don't mention pits. :)

Finished up with a 6:58.xxx at the 'ring; not good at all compared to people who are actually good at this game, but I was happy enough to break 7', and it was barely good enough for Gold 2 on the PC. Went back to Shanghai in the Skyline to take another crack at it and came away with a 1:36.7 flat, good enough for a rare (for me) Platinum, so I was quite pleased with that.

New month starts today!

Daily is a Pace Setter at the Texas roval in the BMW V12 LMR LMP GT car. Really don't like the tune on this thing; way too soft in the front, so that the rears practically leave the ground when braking. Don't try to brake and turn or you'll break the rear tyres loose and they'll never hook back up again; it's difficult enough to keep 'em from sliding when accelerating in general. The roval is rather dull, as rovals tend to be, and that last turn back onto the oval backstretch is a nasty one; there's just no grip at all to be had anywhere. Don't think I got through there once without doing a four-wheel drift. At least it's a fairly short event, with sub-1:10 lap times.

Weekly is a Pace Setter at one of the short versions of Not-Suzuka-Please-Don't-Sue, in a stock LMP GT car of your choice, so you can at least pick something besides that skittish Bimmer (and actually the eponymous Bentley works quite well). This track is tricky, though, with those really bumpy sharp cut-throughs and that one utterly evil completely blind corner at the end of the stretch after the Not-Spoon Curve (which is never comfortable no matter how many times you've been through it).

For the Monthly, it's back to Shanghai Wusong Chase again for another Hot Lap, this time in a slightly tamer ride than last week's event: a GT C car of your choice (including tuned cars from your garage). Should be a fun one to try out all the various options in that class, with the whole month and unlimited retries.

I pulled a 1:07.403 with the BMW V12 LMR in Pace Setter tonight.
The rear end in this car can easily get loose and swing around under some heavy braking. This car and course really tests your brake modulation as there are a four hairpin corners per lap.

I had a couple spins, the car starts getting sideways and there is a limit to balance the brake release smoothly and back to throttle to dance it on the limit. Feels great when you get it. Not too much otherwise you get too much angle and scrub speed and it's slow, but enough to get some rotation into the hairpin turns. Very challenging to drive on the limit. I did some donuts out there.

Good trail braking is crucial to controlling the car's pitch and yaw angling into the corners without spinning out and then the throttle application has to added carefully too. It's very fast and rewarding to drive a clean lap with.

I enjoyed this event and car combo.

Last edited:
Still getting a handle on this game but having a good time with these Rival events so far!
I pulled a 1:07.403 with the BMW V12 LMR in Pace Setter tonight.
The rear end in this car can easily get loose and swing around under some heavy braking. This car and course really tests your brake modulation as there are a four hairpin corners per lap.

I had a couple spins, the car starts getting sideways and there is a limit to balance the brake release smoothly and back to throttle to dance it on the limit. Feels great when you get it. Not too much otherwise you get too much angle and scrub speed and it's slow, but enough to get some rotation into the hairpin turns. Very challenging to drive on the limit. I did some donuts out there.

Good trail braking is crucial to controlling the car's pitch and yaw angling into the corners without spinning out and then the throttle application has to added carefully too. It's very fast and rewarding to drive a clean lap with.

I enjoyed this event and car combo.

How late you can brake and the trail braking in this game, even moreso with this car/track combo, is something I'm still coming to grips with, but as you mention it's rewarding when you get it right (or even close to right :P).

It looks like I'll be chasing your ghost if I decide to have another crack 👍 (I think that's how it works, I'm still a novice at this game :embarrassed:)
20210302_163019.jpg

Today's event is a Hot Lap at Monza in the Lamborghini Veneno. Being a Lambo, it's got gobs of grip, of course, and being Monza, the key to a fast lap is getting all your corner exits perfect to maximise your speed on all those long, long straights. Don't be afraid to use those curbs; the Veneno ain't scared of 'em.

Back