Dark souls

I decided to head towards The Depths & save the Tomb Of Giants for later on. I just defeated the Gaping Dragon. I'm now wearing & wielding the pretty nice looking, but heavy Armor of the Glorious & Gravelord Sword +1. Currently traversing my way back to the Firelink Shrine to upgrade my Pyromancy Flame.

As I hinted at before, The Tomb of the Giants is somewhere you don't want to be before you have finished just past The Depths in another area or 2. Put simply, you literally cannot finish ToG for a while and it's a nasty place to get stuck or back out of. Beyond that I will say no more, though I can give as much or as little advice as you like 👍.

Defeated the butterfly boss, Havel, picked up an enchanted ember, got the wolf ring & I just now defeated Sif, I didn't want to finish him once he started limping, but I gave him honorable death for the 2 times that he defeated me.

Sidenote: Artorias The Abysswalker is one of the most awesome names I've heard of. If I'm fortunate enough to have another son, Artorias is getting thrown on the naming table hahaha.

Haha. Don't tell her the truth about where the name came from. I told my friend to name her daughter Sophitia Alexandra then she googled it it and took it off her suggestion list.

Defeated Queelag & the Iron Golem. Just arrived at Anor Lando. For the Iron Golem I summoned Tarkus & we got the boss down to 1/3 of his life gauge, but I was locked on to it while moving, lost my awareness on positioning & fell off the edge(shook my head with fist in the air, darn you Dark Souls! Hahaha!). No Humanity left, so I defeated the Golem on my own.

Quick tip, summoning help increases boss health. This essentially means that depending on your ability and playstyle a summon can actually hinder you more then help. Summons can take the heat for you for a bit or do a significant amount of damage and give you important time to cast or heal, but if they die you're left with a tougher foe to fight alone. It's a bit of a coin toss, but something to be mindful of.

Yes, Do not summon for Smough and Ornstein unless you are a bad ass. At least don't do it on NG+ like i did.

That wasn't the example I was thinking of.

Four Kings, worst boss to summon an NPC on by far. She dies near every time early on and makes the fight longer in what is effectively a DPS race.

What I will say is summoning another real player can make the game easy mode, if they are competent in their role and understand their duty to protect the host at all cost, including death. I really enjoy co-op in DS, though I am always the phantom as I prefer to face my challenges alone then once I've completed an area I may hang around to help others.

Ah, I see, interesting, thanks for the tips gentlemen.👍 Just made it passed the arrow knights in Anor Londo, died 3 times, thankfully I was able to regain my souls from my first death. I really like this level (not the arrow part hahaha!) the enemies give lots of souls. 👍

Anor Londo is definitely one of my favourite areas, I used to love PvPing in the main hall outside of the fog gate. I would wait in plan sight right by the gate if invading (invading the guilty via Darkmoon) and I'd let the player(s) take the other enemies out before taking a bow and charging in to battle, I thought I was much cooler then anyone else did with my mismatched elite and normal knight armor, claymore in hand and crest shield in the other I liked to think of myself as an honorable knight be it white phantom or blue.

The main reason I loved the area though is the boss fight, one of my favourite in all my gaming career. The first true challenge.

GameTrailers is teasing an update on Namco Bandai and From Software’s action RPG sequel Dark Souls II next week.

Gametrailers
Come back to GameTrailers Thursday, April 11 for Dark Souls II.

👍

Defeated Smough & Ornstein. Fantastic battle! They got me 4 times.....4! Ornsteins unblockable grab move is a thing of beauty. My most favorite battle, topping Sifs.

Small update to the official website.
vinrif.jpg

Go Beyond Death.

Defeated Smough & Ornstein. Fantastic battle! They got me 4 times.....4! Ornsteins unblockable grab move is a thing of beauty. My most favorite battle, topping Sifs.

4 is pretty good from what I heard when the game was new. I found this fight extremely dynamic with the 2 of them at once and it really keeps you on your toes. Beating them, especially on my first attempt, was incredibly satisfying even if I did chug quite alot of Estus to do so. There's no gimmick about O&S, it's just a pure test of skill and awareness which is why I love it. Though there are certainly other fights without any special tricks the combination of 2 bosses makes for an exponentially larger number of potential combinations to be thrown at you in different timings. I think it's an easier fight for Dex builds though which is my usual preference. I couldn't imagine doing it as a heavy Strength build.

4 is pretty good from what I heard when the game was new. I found this fight extremely dynamic with the 2 of them at once and it really keeps you on your toes. Beating them, especially on my first attempt, was incredibly satisfying even if I did chug quite alot of Estus to do so. There's no gimmick about O&S, it's just a pure test of skill and awareness which is why I love it. Though there are certainly other fights without any special tricks the combination of 2 bosses makes for an exponentially larger number of potential combinations to be thrown at you in different timings. I think it's an easier fight for Dex builds though which is my usual preference. I couldn't imagine doing it as a heavy Strength build.

Much skill & patience for a 1st try on these two gentlemen, super nice!!👍

My main focus is melee as a Knight with my endurance at 34 & strength at 37, Gravelord Sword+4. My main focus during the battle was to try & keep them both in front of me while chipping away at the one directly in front of me, which was usually Smough, as he is a much bigger & slower moving target. After those deaths, dodging Ornsteins attacks became so much easier for me. I had to use about 6 estus flasks though, which I wasn't happy about, but oh well hahaha! Ornstein was a real pain once Smough was gone. I used the pillars as much as I could, the fact that Ornstein's spear goes through pillars bothered me though haha! While behind a pillar, I'd wait for his swing & roll towards & under him, then attack, this would cause the camera to space out at times & this is when he'd catch me with the unblockable skewering grab hahaha!

Decades of gaming & it ranks up there as one of my top battles in my gaming history.👍

I found myself on first attempt using Ornstein and my own speed to pull ourselves away from Smough using the pillars to seperate the 2 which I believe is why they're there. I was using an Iaito at the time as I did for most of the game combined with knight/elite knight armor mix but Havels ring and the Ring of Favor of Protection with enough endurance to fast roll (not just medium) combined with fast slashes for quick attacks and getaway if Smough charged in. I did get caught out a few times early in the fight before I had it worked out, which is where I chugged Estus, but found a rhythm fairly quickly.

Super Orns is generally perceived as the harder fight (killing Smough first as you did) but I find them about equal either way though that grab attack can be difficult to dodge until you notice the tell (I think it's a small leg movement perhaps). The first part fighting both is the real difficulty, managing them both is key as you obviously realised quick you don't want one of them out of sight!

I feel awful for watching the 12 minute video, It reveals gameplay Spoilers....... definitely not going to watch any more gameplay videos.

BE WARNED

After watching I will probably get both PC and PS3 versions. The frame rate was inconsistent.

Last edited:
New engine runs at 60fps on PC, 30fps on console with no drops

OnlySP
Great news for Dark Souls PC fans awaiting the sequel, though. A number of foreign language sites are reporting that Dark Souls 2 is being developed on an entirely new engine with PC as the lead platform. As a result, Dark Souls 2 will allegedly run at 60fps on PC. The gameplay footage that was released the other day was also running on PC, and it looked fantastic, which is very promising.

Hahaha, good ol' Blightown.👍

I'm probably a complete noob asking this, but I'm a knight but can't use any pyromancer spells. How do I use these. Especially now that I clear Anor Londo and the Painted World Of Ariamis I got some serious spells. Is there some level you need to reach in order to do this?

On youyube I see a lot of guys trowing fire from there hand. Please help me.

You need to buy a specific weapon, the Pyromancy Flame. There's a Pyromancer in the Depths (forgot his name). He's your first opportunity to buy such a Pyromancy Flame if you're not a Pyromancer to begin with.

Aside from him, there's also a Witch of Chaos at the bottom of Blightown, at the swamp you'll cross to reach Queelag's domain. She's sitting besides one of the huge pillars in the swamp (don't remember which one exactly). I do know that you can upgrade the Pyromancy Flame in Queelag's domain after defeating her, once you can talk to her sister. I'm not sure whether she's actually selling Pyromancy Flames too, though.

The box art looks nice, by the way. Thanks, Ddrizle 👍

I can't wait for second game, first gives me so much hard time it's so real. Anyone can kill you, not just boss but even single simple soldier run across somewhere along the way.

Back