Dear Sony...... I'm thinking of selling my PS3

  • Thread starter Thread starter machschnel
  • 123 comments
  • 10,023 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
926
Messages
machschnel
I've reached the point now were I am giving up on Sony/Polyphony. Gran Turismo 5 is the sole reason I chose PS3 over XBOX. Despite their flaws, I loved the previous GT games, so the announcement of GT5 sealed the deal for me. But the thing is I put up with those flaws because I had too - Forza was still developing, didnt know about GTR and even if I did I doubt my PC would have run it, RFactor etc hadn't come around yet..... but now things have changed. I played Forza 2 and was shocked - it was actually good, very good. Different to GT but still a very playable racing game. And from what I have heard, Forza 3 is even better again. Now onto the PC sims....... when these first came out I doubt many peoples regular home computer could run them, now however I think things have changed, PC sims have become easier to run, not to mention the fact that they are amazing games, GTR 2 blew me away.

And that's the point really - it's no longer the 90's where 90% of people had PS2 and no one had heard of PC sims. GT no longer has a monopoly on car games and should act accordingly. Giving fans no information, delays (acceptable though), changing stories (Prologue will be updated to be a large percent of GT5), taking the Gt Academy Demo down (still do not understand this) and more do nothing positive.

Yes I know Polyphony/Sony owe us nothing. But guess what? We don't owe them anything
 
Well, while were are playing GT5 you will be the one missing out.
 
Dont you think youre over-reacting a bit? I mean it "should" be out this year... Next to this there's a lot of other games too... Or are you just into sims? Im not trying to talk you out of your decision and I agree we should have gotten more info and such, but thats just how large corporations like Sony operate... I can go into detail as to why that is, but I dont want to bore you with that. All I'm actually saying is think it through very well before you make the definite decision... You dont want to regret selling your PS3 afterwards when GT5 DOES hit the shelf.
 
Gran Turismo 5 is the sole reason I chose PS3 over XBOX.

Seems rather odd to me to buy a console just for one game, much less one game that is not only not yet out but doesn't even have a release date...

Are there no other games you can play? Could you not, perhaps, rent some from your local media rental store to tide you over? I have twelve PS3 games that don't even contain the word "Turismo" in the title...


On the plus side, with GT5 anticipated shortly and the PS3 being the only current BD player capable of meeting 3DBD standards, demand should be high and you'll get a good price for it.
 
Dont you think youre over-reacting a bit? I mean it "should" be out this year... Next to this there's a lot of other games too... Or are you just into sims? Im not trying to talk you out of your decision and I agree we should have gotten more info and such, but thats just how large corporations like Sony operate... I can go into detail as to why that is, but I dont want to bore you with that. All I'm actually saying is think it through very well before you make the definite decision... You dont want to regret selling your PS3 afterwards when GT5 DOES hit the shelf.

It is a hard decision, but it shouldn't be. I mean, midway through last year we were basically told we'd be playing in right now, so surely their is some information they could give us?
 
Seems rather odd to me to buy a console just for one game, much less one game that is not only not yet out but doesn't even have a release date...

Are there no other games you can play? Could you not, perhaps, rent some from your local media rental store to tide you over? I have twelve PS3 games that don't even contain the word "Turismo" in the title...


On the plus side, with GT5 anticipated shortly and the PS3 being the only current BD player capable of meeting 3DBD standards, demand should be high and you'll get a good price for it.

I have played/own many PS3 games, just not much of a gamer, more into racing but I can't be at the track every weekend. It shows you though, Sony sold at least one PS3 because of Gran Turismo 5 alone
 
And it will sell many more regardless of your decision.
 
I've reached the point now were I am giving up on Sony/Polyphony. Gran Turismo 5 is the sole reason I chose PS3 over XBOX. Despite their flaws, I loved the previous GT games, so the announcement of GT5 sealed the deal for me. But the thing is I put up with those flaws because I had too - Forza was still developing, didnt know about GTR and even if I did I doubt my PC would have run it, RFactor etc hadn't come around yet..... but now things have changed. I played Forza 2 and was shocked - it was actually good, very good. Different to GT but still a very playable racing game. And from what I have heard, Forza 3 is even better again. Now onto the PC sims....... when these first came out I doubt many peoples regular home computer could run them, now however I think things have changed, PC sims have become easier to run, not to mention the fact that they are amazing games, GTR 2 blew me away.

And that's the point really - it's no longer the 90's where 90% of people had PS2 and no one had heard of PC sims. GT no longer has a monopoly on car games and should act accordingly. Giving fans no information, delays (acceptable though), changing stories (Prologue will be updated to be a large percent of GT5), taking the Gt Academy Demo down (still do not understand this) and more do nothing positive.

Yes I know Polyphony/Sony owe us nothing. But guess what? We don't owe them anything

Don't think about it. Sell it.
(to me. For 10 AUS)

:D
 
And it will sell many more regardless of your decision.

It's attitudes like that that make Sony feel fine with what their doing - It's ok to question the effectiveness of their current "strategy" or ask for information.... I have never seen a game create so little hype for itself.... leaving the game a mystery is not an effective marketing technique and I know you'll say just wait, but every day we wait, fans are leaving and finding arguably better car games
 
I know it feels really depressing but you've waited up until this point, since we know GT5 will be released in 2010, I suggest you put up with it a while longer and you won't regret your decision then.

I'd say wait 2 months until E3 is over and if you don't get any concrete informations or a release date then sell if you really can't take it anymore ;)
 
Yes but every fan that leaves will come back when the game Comes out.
 
I have played/own many PS3 games, just not much of a gamer, more into racing but I can't be at the track every weekend.

Well, aside from Prologue - which with 78 cars and 6 tracks comes within 50% of the content of the original GT - there's myriad racing games available to you. None quite the same as GT, to varying degrees, I'll agree. NFS, Burnout and Motorstorm (and sequels), for example.

Sure, they may have less than realistic physics engines but, ultimately, so do GT and Forza! Each has nuances you must learn, but they are consistent - once you've learned how the engine behaves, you're set. I own one copy of every GT game ever released in any region (except Korean GT Concept, Korean GT4 and US GT5P) - so I'm pretty hardcore GT enthusiast - and yet I still found considerable amusement to be had in Burnout Paradise, for example, or Cars: Race-O-Rama. Moreso than in Forza and its sequels (which I also own).


It shows you though, Sony sold at least one PS3 because of Gran Turismo 5 alone

Honestly, that's something I've never understood. GT5 will be, what, £45? Buying a console for one game makes that £45 purchase a £300 purchase - and the game doesn't even have a release date! That's a lot of money to hurl on an ethereal game...

I've got two PS3s. The upstairs one, hooked into my gaming rig of doom, is used for gaming. You'll find me on Modern Warfare 2 most nights. The downstairs one is so the small child can play level 1 of LittleBigPlanet again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and, when she's in bed or at school, as a media centre. I couldn't exist without my BluRay copies of The Dark Knight and Star Trek (and Ratatouille which is breathtakingly beautiful in HD).

I bought my first one on launch day. Not for GT, but because "it only does everything".
 
I bet when gt5 comes out we will see the OP back here talking about how great it is.
 
I bet when gt5 comes out we will see the OP back here talking about how great it is.

I will say this - without any information, I'd bet my car it will be great, amazingly great, a 5 year development cycle tends to do that. I'm not saying the game will be crap, I'd just like some information, especially after the delay

Well, aside from Prologue - which with 78 cars and 6 tracks comes within 50% of the content of the original GT - there's myriad racing games available to you. None quite the same as GT, to varying degrees, I'll agree. NFS, Burnout and Motorstorm (and sequels), for example.

Sure, they may have less than realistic physics engines but, ultimately, so do GT and Forza! Each has nuances you must learn, but they are consistent - once you've learned how the engine behaves, you're set. I own one copy of every GT game ever released in any region (except Korean GT Concept, Korean GT4 and US GT5P) - so I'm pretty hardcore GT enthusiast - and yet I still found considerable amusement to be had in Burnout Paradise, for example, or Cars: Race-O-Rama. Moreso than in Forza and its sequels (which I also own).




Honestly, that's something I've never understood. GT5 will be, what, £45? Buying a console for one game makes that £45 purchase a £300 purchase - and the game doesn't even have a release date! That's a lot of money to hurl on an ethereal game...

I've got two PS3s. The upstairs one, hooked into my gaming rig of doom, is used for gaming. You'll find me on Modern Warfare 2 most nights. The downstairs one is so the small child can play level 1 of LittleBigPlanet again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and, when she's in bed or at school, as a media centre. I couldn't exist without my BluRay copies of The Dark Knight and Star Trek (and Ratatouille which is breathtakingly beautiful in HD).

I bought my first one on launch day. Not for GT, but because "it only does everything".

To be honest, it was 90 % for GT5, I figured I'd use it for Blu-ray and other games. But now I don't really need it for that so it's waiting for GT basically
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We feel your pain, we are all very hungry for some news.
 
I have never seen a game create so little hype for itself....
Man, do you ever have that backwards. No game will have the net flooded with chatter over a new video showing something never seen before.

Hey, I did buy a console just for one game, my 360. Right now, I have two... Forza 2 and Forza 3. I think the system is a crap design rushed to market like the Forza games are. I think of selling it, and then I think of how fun it is to paint a car. Ehh...

But then, I am a gamer. The PS3 library is incredible, just like the PS2 library is. If you want to sell your PS3, go ahead. No one will care, and you'll be doing everyone a favor, especially the guy who buys the PS3. 👍
 
Yes I know Polyphony/Sony owe us nothing. But guess what? We don't owe them anything
Polyphony and Sony don't owe you anything. And you don't owe them anything, either. If that's the case, wouldn't you agree that your incessant whinging is a case of throwing your toys out of the pram?

Do you honestly think that Sony are sitting on warehouses full of GT5 discs and have been doing so for months, laughing at you while you anguish over the release date? Every GT game to date has been delayed because Kazunori Yamauchi is a notorious perfectionist. He wants to deliver the ultimate racing game, and if that means you have to wait, well, you'd better take a number. It won't be released until Kaz is happy with it, and Kaz won't be happy with it until it's perfect. Or would you rather that they short-change everyone and release an unfinished game just so that you can have it a few weeks sooner?

I sense a very big - and completely warranted - padlock clasping itself around this thread in the very immediate future.
 
I've reached the point now were I am giving up on Sony/Polyphony. Gran Turismo 5 is the sole reason I chose PS3 over XBOX. Despite their flaws, I loved the previous GT games, so the announcement of GT5 sealed the deal for me. But the thing is I put up with those flaws because I had too - Forza was still developing, didnt know about GTR and even if I did I doubt my PC would have run it, RFactor etc hadn't come around yet..... but now things have changed. I played Forza 2 and was shocked - it was actually good, very good. Different to GT but still a very playable racing game. And from what I have heard, Forza 3 is even better again. Now onto the PC sims....... when these first came out I doubt many peoples regular home computer could run them, now however I think things have changed, PC sims have become easier to run, not to mention the fact that they are amazing games, GTR 2 blew me away.

And that's the point really - it's no longer the 90's where 90% of people had PS2 and no one had heard of PC sims. GT no longer has a monopoly on car games and should act accordingly. Giving fans no information, delays (acceptable though), changing stories (Prologue will be updated to be a large percent of GT5), taking the Gt Academy Demo down (still do not understand this) and more do nothing positive.

Yes I know Polyphony/Sony owe us nothing. But guess what? We don't owe them anything

So, you already own a PS3 and obviously really want GT5. But because you no longer have the patience to wait for GT5, you are willing to sell your PS3, making a loss, and then spend more money on an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza 3 just to spite Sony?
 
Polyphony and Sony don't owe you anything. And you don't owe them anything, either. If that's the case, wouldn't you agree that your incessant whinging is a case of throwing your toys out of the pram?

Do you honestly think that Sony are sitting on warehouses full of GT5 discs and have been doing so for months, laughing at you while you anguish over the release date? Every GT game to date has been delayed because Kazunori Yamauchi is a notorious perfectionist. He wants to deliver the ultimate racing game, and if that means you have to wait, well, you'd better take a number. It won't be released until Kaz is happy with it, and Kaz won't be happy with it until it's perfect. Or would you rather that they short-change everyone and release an unfinished game just so that you can have it a few weeks sooner?

I sense a very big - and completely warranted - padlock clasping itself around this thread in the very immediate future.

What toys? We have been given nothing, unless you count the very-old Prologue or the timed Academy demo

So, you already own a PS3 and obviously really want GT5. But because you no longer have the patience to wait for GT5, you are willing to sell your PS3, making a loss, and then spend more money on an Xbox 360 and a copy of Forza 3 just to spite Sony?

No, no, no.... I have zero interest in XBOX. I will wait till next year even for GT5, I'd just like to know what I am waiting for
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be released until Kaz is happy with it, and Kaz won't be happy with it until it's perfect. Or would you rather that they short-change everyone and release an unfinished game just so that you can have it a few weeks sooner?

Now we all know it's not going to be perfect.

On-topic, I'm not sure where people get the impression Sony care if they sell their PS3. I'm even less sure why they think posting this on a Gran Turismo fan site is going to make Sony take notice.
 
Do you know what I find funny in all of this, a game is a game, I will love it the day it comes out, but I gurantee you no matter how feature packed it is within a year I will barely be playing it. I got Gt4 for my birthday on the 4th of May 2005 loved the day :) It was a Wednesday I can still remember walking into the shop for it and carrying it out :P Im so nostalgic about the moment. Yet May 2006 came and I was busy playing Black, F1 2006, Splinter cell Chaos Theory.
 
You should of waited for a release date and got it much cheaper really. Plus I hear forza 3 is worse than 2 since it's is online oriented. But then I have never played it.
 
I may as well have sold my PS3. I made the mistake of moving it into the living room after I got bored of Prologue and left the G25 with the PC in the backroom. Unfortunately the wife has now taken over the ps3 to use a streaming media centre. I've started buying all my games on 360 now as I'll never get free tv time otherwise!
 
I bought the PS3 in December 2007 expecting Gt5 out late 2008.... but so far I don't regret it. Its like a more advanced Ps2 :) on that note the Ps2 without Gran turismo 3 & 4 would have still had one of the greatest if not the greatest console games libraries of all time.
I love my brain for liking any type of game :), I can play Gran turismo, Need for speed, Mario, Zelda, Kingdom hearts, Final fantasy, Cod, Battlefield, Fifa, Fallout , Uncharted, Killzone and any other game without any issues.
 
I've reached the point now were I am giving up on Sony/Polyphony. Gran Turismo 5 is the sole reason I chose PS3 over XBOX. Despite their flaws, I loved the previous GT games, so the announcement of GT5 sealed the deal for me. But the thing is I put up with those flaws because I had too - Forza was still developing, didnt know about GTR and even if I did I doubt my PC would have run it, RFactor etc hadn't come around yet..... but now things have changed. I played Forza 2 and was shocked - it was actually good, very good. Different to GT but still a very playable racing game. And from what I have heard, Forza 3 is even better again. Now onto the PC sims....... when these first came out I doubt many peoples regular home computer could run them, now however I think things have changed, PC sims have become easier to run, not to mention the fact that they are amazing games, GTR 2 blew me away.

And that's the point really - it's no longer the 90's where 90% of people had PS2 and no one had heard of PC sims. GT no longer has a monopoly on car games and should act accordingly. Giving fans no information, delays (acceptable though), changing stories (Prologue will be updated to be a large percent of GT5), taking the Gt Academy Demo down (still do not understand this) and more do nothing positive.

Yes I know Polyphony/Sony owe us nothing. But guess what? We don't owe them anything
So, what are you waiting for? Sell your PS3 and quit crying about the situation. If you are fed up of waiting for GT5 and/or believe that there are better alternatives on Xbox 360 or PC, you know exactly what to do. What's stopping you? Sellers remorse once GT5 does launch and you no longer have the means to play what will arguably be one of, if not the best console racers this generation? Your choice, no need to spit your dummy out in a paddy over it.

Going back to your point about PC sims and people being more aware of them. Yep, I know of their existence, but I, like many people gave up on PC gaming years ago due to all of the requisite software and hardware hassles you had. Yep, I know, things have gotten a lot more powerful and stable these days, but something else also turns me off PC sim racers, and that is the heavy on-line focus of them. Not interested, but I am interested in Gran Turismo, so I'll wait, with all of my toys still in my pram.
 
Go ahead, sell your PS3. We won't miss you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back