December Car of the Month - McLaren MP4-12C '10 - COME JOIN THE FUN!

@brian wolf

McLaren MP4-12C '10 600PP/SS & RM - 625PP/SS

To be fair some of the tracks I tested it on are at the opposite of what this cars yearns to do, on SH with this kind of power and no front aero you may be asking (or praying) that the laws :scared: of physics will bend. And sometimes they do, a bit.

On tracks 1 & 2 everything was up to par 👍, no major issues, all scratches will be removed with the new paint job I put on :ouch:( Volcano Orange), For people reading this, this is not a road hugger, you have to drive it with precision.

On track #3, I have to admit it was hell, skid hell would be more appropriate, did you know you can drift with this car? Yup, slows you down but so cool :cool:. On technical sharp turning tracks you will need a lot of control to accelerate, especially on 1st and 2nd gear. On a fast track it becomes addicting, high speed curves are taken easily and with gusto. Mid speed curves, you’ll get some tire spin but controllable, low speed curves maybe put a sign for “Not For Novice”, especially with a DS3.

Track 4, was special :odd:, I had to go get a new paint job again, fix the bumpers, replace the passenger’s door, oh, did you have a wing on this :embarrassed:? Can’t remember if or when I lost it. Yeah this was difficult, but the funny thing is I hardly notice the laps pass by because I was so concentrated at finding the right driving lines, went well over the 12 laps allowed, but I was sometimes wishing you would have put SS tires on it, it would have helped my ego in believing I could actually drive.

On the last track I tried it on, I had trouble getting some speed out of it :grumpy:, that track is all curves and has only two small straightaways. I couldn’t get the throttle at the right amount to fully utilize its capacities. My best time on this track was 1:32.891 , after the session I tried it with SS, brought it down to 1:29.265 ;) on one lap with cold tires, and most of the control issues I was having were resolved. This is just an idea but maybe you could add in your post SH for pro drivers, SM for intermediate drivers, and SS for novice.

Just noticed on your post :eek:: "This tune will require some throttle control! Don`t bother with 1st or 2nd gear. Will do standing starts in 3rd. Only go back down to 3rd in the slowest of corners, and then be gentle on the power! Don`t give it the full beans until your into 4th. A very rewarding tune, its not as difficult as you think its gonna be! Have fun!!"
Well that might have been hard for me since I use AT, as for the fun part, that was easy.
:cheers: The best way I can describe your work is: Nerves of steel, drives at the edge.👍
Good fun tuning.

Last edited:
@brian wolf

McLaren MP4-12C '10 600PP/SS & RM - 625PP/SS

To be fair some of the tracks I tested it on are at the opposite of what this cars yearns to do, on SH with this kind of power and no front aero you may be asking (or praying) that the laws :scared: of physics will bend. And sometimes they do, a bit.

On tracks 1 & 2 everything was up to par 👍, no major issues, all scratches will be removed with the new paint job I put on :ouch:( Volcano Orange), For people reading this, this is not a road hugger, you have to drive it with precision.

On track #3, I have to admit it was hell, skid hell would be more appropriate, did you know you can drift with this car? Yup, slows you down but so cool :cool:. On technical sharp turning tracks you will need a lot of control to accelerate, especially on 1st and 2nd gear. On a fast track it becomes addicting, high speed curves are taken easily and with gusto. Mid speed curves, you’ll get some tire spin but controllable, low speed curves maybe put a sign for “Not For Novice”, especially with a DS3.

Track 4, was special :odd:, I had to go get a new paint job again, fix the bumpers, replace the passenger’s door, oh, did you have a wing on this :embarrassed:? Can’t remember if or when I lost it. Yeah this was difficult, but the funny thing is I hardly notice the laps pass by because I was so concentrated at finding the right driving lines, went well over the 12 laps allowed, but I was sometimes wishing you would have put SS tires on it, it would have helped my ego in believing I could actually drive.

On the last track I tried it on, I had trouble getting some speed out of it :grumpy:, that track is all curves and has only two small straightaways. I couldn’t get the throttle at the right amount to fully utilize its capacities. My best time on this track was 1:32.891 , after the session I tried it with SS, brought it down to 1:29.265 ;) on one lap with cold tires, and most of the control issues I was having were resolved. This is just an idea but maybe you could add in your post SH for pro drivers, SM for intermediate drivers, and SS for novice.

Just noticed on your post :eek:: "This tune will require some throttle control! Don`t bother with 1st or 2nd gear. Will do standing starts in 3rd. Only go back down to 3rd in the slowest of corners, and then be gentle on the power! Don`t give it the full beans until your into 4th. A very rewarding tune, its not as difficult as you think its gonna be! Have fun!!"
Well that might have been hard for me since I use AT, as for the fun part, that was easy.
:cheers: The best way I can describe your work is: Nerves of steel, drives at the edge.👍
Good fun tuning.
Thanks for the review! 👍 Your contributions to this thread have become invaluable! :bowdown:
Much appreciated! :cheers:

@brian wolf

Bowties Games.png

I was crazy :crazy: once with @praiano63 and challenged him, but I think I won't push my luck a second time with you :lol:. Still have a challenge for you, but a lot less, uh, stressing.

Picture 2.png

The Picture says it all

Rules: just take 6 pictures of your car going on two wheels, I tried seven different tracks before resorting to this infamous one. As for the judge of the best shots, what do you think of @Bowtie-muscle, I think he's very impartial and I can't threaten him anymore since I already did his review :mad:.

Here are my pictures
Trial Mountain Circuit_2.jpg
Trial Mountain Circuit_4.jpg
Trial Mountain Circuit_6.jpg
Trial Mountain Circuit_8.jpg
Trial Mountain Circuit_12.jpg
Trial Mountain Circuit_18.jpg

:cheers: oh almost forgot the most important.

Advice: Shutter speed at 1/1sec, F = 1.0, EV at -5.0, the subject is never as important as the background, that should give you a memorable photo.:lol:

Last edited:
@Otaliema, I decided to finish this one because after today no days off until the 25th.

McLaren MP4-12C '10 650PP/SS

Let’s be brief and get this over with.

Track 1: Bla ..bla .. bla .. bla .. bla ... oversteers like a ... bla .. bla .. bla ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. brakes are ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. out of apex ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. could have ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. compared to a mule .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. but overall this one needs ... bla .. bla .... bla .. bla .. bla ... bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. bla .. , so good effort. Seriously I’m jealous :ouch:. Love the sound as it accelerates, but that’s not really important right?

Track 2: Aha .... top speed 383 kmh kind of slow, no? Might be more but it was dangerous to take my eyes of the road, actually handled quite well at high speeds 👍, I thought I would struggle more with this one, but no, ah wait ..., maybe it’s because I’ve done over 200 laps :eek: here with the other cars and I’m finally get the hang of it :rolleyes:, maybe it’s not that good after all :lol:.

Track 3: Even the best fighters one day have their Waterloo. Yes the car handled well, yes it was fun to drive, but, being beaten by @DaBomm4‘s 600PP/SS by 0:00.050 is kind of humiliating no? :embarrassed: ( No offence to you DaBomm4, you were number one on this track as off this date), 50PP less, 282 HP less, it’s like if a light weight boxer would knock down Muhammed Ali, wow. But like I said, everybody has their Waterloo. Mark this day, Monday, December 15, 2014.:(

Track 4: This has been a cemetery for a lot of cars :confused:, for almost all the other tunings I’ve always adjusted the final gear to get all the gears used on the tracks, for yours I’ve left it as it was, figured that if you bothered turning a 6 speed transmission to a 5 speed there must have been a reason, also those transmission numbers looked kind of fragile :eek: so I didn’t want to get blamed for breaking them, my insurance won’t cover me anymore for car abuse. The TC=3 helped a lot here, there are mountains of rumble strips to trip on, and you did have the overall fastest lap, but there may be someone who will bring in a tune that may rival you, we will have to wait and see.

Track 5: If track 4 was the cemetery, this one was the crematory. It handled really well but lost time on the chicane, seems you can’t rush this one in tight corners. the car is steady but lacks turn in or I think that's what you people call rotation. Maybe it could help with TC=0 , but that will be for another story, or as would say one famous babysitter, “fairy tale”.

Great job on this, you might have a couple of people ringing at your garage doors for some Transmission Setting lessons after the holidays. Oh yes, on track 1 it basically says : great but don't brag about it.
:cheers:

Advice: Shutter speed at 1/1sec, F = 1.0, EV at -5.0, the subject is never as important as the background, that should give you a memorable photo.:lol:
That depends on your goal for the photo. ;) I would think a shutter of 1/250 FStop of 4.0 and panning mode 2 would give a great "high speed" look to them. Filter of partial color adds some nice contrast and brings the car to the attention of the shot without distracting from the scene.

@Otaliema, almost done, have to run out and fix an issue with my car port, it seems that it's allergic to snow.

Bowties Games.png

guess what were doing .....................

camembert2.png

I figured that since @DolHaus is running some tests on this, we could contribute a little data to help him out.

Rules:

1. I choose the track, conditions, and time trial regulations.
2. Tuner and reviewer use the reviewed car for the time trial.
3. Times are posted by each of the drivers, there is a gentleman’s agreement that each person will put down the true time.
4. You must have fun doing this, this is not an option

1. Track: High Speed Ring
2. Car tuned as is with Sports Soft.
3. Course Settings: Real
4. No driving aids, none, no abs either. NO - TC
5. Set Camber Front and Rear to 10.0
6. 5 laps, best time wins. Laps invalid don’t count. Good Luck.

Advice: Bring some wine to go with the cheese, drink before driving :P.

TurnLeft's Time To Beat is 1:07.674
:cheers: Funny how bicycle wheels don't brake that well on a 900HP car.:lol:

I’ve always adjusted the final gear to get all the gears used on the tracks, for yours I’ve left it as it was, figured that if you bothered turning a 6 speed transmission to a 5 speed there must have been a reason, also those transmission numbers looked kind of fragile :eek: so I didn’t want to get blamed for breaking them, my insurance won’t cover me anymore for car abuse.
For the record its a 7 gear transmission that can hit 400km/h I think it caps out on willow springs at 383 shifting at 7k and I still have most of 7th to go;)
Thank you for the review there I did tune it for manual users to use a higher gear for the tight turns to utlize the torque over the raw power to get you through and rotated around.
Challenge accepted sir I'll work it out tomorrow sometime have some testing for the fitt challenge to do first.

For the record its a 7 gear transmission that can hit 400km/h I think it caps out on willow springs at 383 shifting at 7k and I still have most of 7th to go;)
Thank you for the review there I did tune it for manual users to use a higher gear for the tight turns to utlize the torque over the raw power to get you through and rotated around.
Challenge accepted sir I'll work it out tomorrow sometime have some testing for the fitt challenge to do first.
1...2....3...4...5...6... ah yes there it is ... 7 ... FG at 2.000 hid it, oops :embarrassed: :rolleyes:

Track 3: Even the best fighters one day have their Waterloo. Yes the car handled well, yes it was fun to drive, but, being beaten by @DaBomm4‘s 600PP/SS by 0:00.050 is kind of humiliating no? :embarrassed: ( No offence to you DaBomm4, you were number one on this track as off this date), 50PP less, 282 HP less, it’s like if a light weight boxer would knock down Muhammed Ali, wow.
That tiny little like button isn't big enough for the laugh I got out of it. I'm glad my drive is over though, 4 hours through foggy rain on a 3 hour trip. Tis the season of driving all over and working harder in the time between each drive. Hope you guys all can enjoy your holidays. :)

16006439726_f8334590a0.jpg

16006442566_134af2962f.jpg

15846179169_05b0a87207.jpg

16006450856_28112e94b4.jpg

15412599323_cd388e64d7.jpg

16032237425_d2fee666f7.jpg

16032242095_789f15d632.jpg

16031559632_e5511c323e.jpg

To quote a movie (bonus points to anyone knowing the referrence), "He's gonna kill us, my brother is gonna kill us!"
"Nah, my Dad is a TV repair man, he has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it."
"You can't fix that, he's gonna kill us!"

Not likely the winning photo shoot but, I did it.:sly:

Thought I'd join the fun. Here's my tune.
Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_5.jpg

This one has been limited a bit. It's not been tuned to go fast as possible, because let me tell you now, I couldn't set a car up competitively if my life depended on it! My tune is purely for driving pleasure.
493BHP
1,150kg
576PP
Sports Hard Tyres
Tested at Brands Hatch
Here it is!
Feedback appreciated.

Last edited:
Rules:

1. I choose the track, conditions, and time trial regulations.
2. Tuner and reviewer use the reviewed car for the time trial.
3. Times are posted by each of the drivers, there is a gentleman’s agreement that each person will put down the true time.
4. You must have fun doing this, this is not an option

1. Track: High Speed Ring
2. Car tuned as is with Sports Soft.
3. Course Settings: Real
4. No driving aids, none, no abs either. NO - TC
5. Set Camber Front and Rear to 10.0
6. 5 laps, best time wins. Laps invalid don’t count. Good Luck.

TurnLeft's Time To Beat is 1:07.674
:cheers: Funny how bicycle wheels don't brake that well on a 900HP car.:lol:
Man Sport soft tires DO NOT LIKE 10.0 camber, and yeah 903 hp on 10% of the tire and 300+ kmh is just bad. 18 laps 5 clean and I managed a 1:07.240 had several 1:06 but I managed to tail slap the wall in the last turn.
[s]@DaBomm4[/s] @DolHaus replay saved if you want the g-force data.

Last edited:
Forgo to mention I'm allergic to wine and red is worse than white for me, and red is best with cheese, so uh who wants my glass? I'll get some nice hard cheese that I can eat while you drink the wine :cheers:

"He's gonna kill us, my brother is gonna kill us!"
Ferris Belluers Day off. After they got back with his friends dads Ferrari and tried and roll back the OD by driving it in revers on jacks and it went out the window after the jacks fell.. :)

Forgo to mention I'm allergic to wine and red is worse than white for me, and red is best with cheese, so uh who wants my glass? I'll get some nice hard cheese that I can eat while you drink the wine :cheers:

Ferris Belluers Day off. After they got back with his friends dads Ferrari and tried and roll back the OD by driving it in revers on jacks and it went out the window after the jacks fell.. :)
Close but, nope, need to back up a few more years still.

To quote a movie (bonus points to anyone knowing the referrence), "He's gonna kill us, my brother is gonna kill us!"

Ok Spicoli. Showing our age now. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. "Hey bud. What's your problem?"

Just curious. Did this car have flat floors or is the McLaren naturally like that?

16031559632_e5511c323e.jpg

First of all, nice shot 👍, but same question as @Motor City Hami, I don't remember you specifying to use a flat floor on your spec sheet , what's up :mad: ?

Second, can you see if our venerable judge is available? 👍👍👍

Third, never saw that film :odd:, from looking at the preview pictures I guess this was a teeny movie, from 1982, so in the 40's (your age :eek:), grey side burns, small pot belly, half moon on the forehead. Amazing how we can make a visual picture of someone just from a movie they've watched :lol:. (No Bonus points for me. :grumpy:)

Thought I'd join the fun. Here's my tune.
View attachment 274843
This one has been limited a bit. It's not been tuned to go fast as possible, because let me tell you now, I couldn't set a car up competitively if my life depended on it! My tune is purely for driving pleasure.
493BHP
1,150kg
576PP
Here it is!
Feedback appreciated.

I will get to it, but I'm just a bit limited in playing time, only have sunday off until the 25th, than next day off is january 1, but when I can find time before going to work I'll surely try it. You did read the engagement terms for participating on this thread, if not, just make a post to Bowtie-muscle and ask for a copy. Also very important;don't believe everything I write. ( So what is true and what is false here? :sly:)

Man Sport soft tires DO NOT LIKE 10.0 camber, and yeah 903 hp on 10% of the tire and 300+ kmh is just bad. 18 laps 5 clean and I managed a 1:07.240 had several 1:06 but I managed to tail slap the wall in the last turn.
[S]@DaBomm4[/S] @DolHaus replay saved if you want the g-force data.
ok, i'll give you the win :bowdown::bowdown::P, and it sincerely doesn't bother me at all :indiff:, I'm still celebrating from my victory over @Thorin Cain 👍:cheers::D:tup::):lol::lol::cheers::mischievous::cheers:, the two bows are for your excellent time, the tongue out is because I did it in only 5 laps, only two were valid, so you win but :P:P:P. So if it's not the wine (since you didn't take any) that makes you make a mistake like mixing up the names of @DolHaus and @DaBomm4, it must be that their avatars are so similar, they both have vehicles :lol:.

So if it's not the wine (since you didn't take any) that makes you make a mistake like mixing up the names of @DolHaus and @DaBomm4, it must be that their avatars are so similar, they both have vehicles :lol:.
Mild dyslexia actually. The flat floor is standard on the MP4-12C can't be removed.
Yeah I was going for 5 valid laps I know there is more time so was going for it hit the time I posted on lap 5 never held it together for entire lap after that. Still well done it was a bear and a greased pig with camber of 10.0 :lol:

@Bowtie-muscle sorry for the double post a bit ago was distracted by munchkins

@TurnLeft just wondering then, how many laps did it take for you to run my challenge? I really liked the fact of all of my fail in my attempt at it. If I tried for another 15 laps I might have gotten under 41 seconds. Also, I agree with @Otaliema about trying for the 5 clean laps, but after I rolled it I didn't feel like trying for the last 2 laps.

@TurnLeft just wondering then, how many laps did it take for you to run my challenge? I really liked the fact of all of my fail in my attempt at it. If I tried for another 15 laps I might have gotten under 41 seconds. Also, I agree with @Otaliema about trying for the 5 clean laps, but after I rolled it I didn't feel like trying for the last 2 laps.
5, I always do just 5 laps, take my best valid and that's it.👍

Sorry, been at the bottom of a bottle for the past few days drowning my sorrows...hic... can't remember anything...hic...Something about bells ringing and...hic....a King...hic...crowing on about something...hic...or other...hic. :boggled: Na just kidding, been busy as...you know what, at work. Guess everyone is at the moment. Hope you are all enjoying the craziness of the season! Life will be back to normal soon enough:lol:
@TurnLeft, you do remember I've got your review still to do. :mischievous: Don't you!?:sly: I don't know if I would be so smug if I was you...Well actually, I probably would yeah :crazy: I'll get to it soon, promise.:guilty: Running short of time here too. Hope to get it done asap and finish off the 600pp version of mine( That I started first), but only had 1 1/2 hour on the game all weekend:(.

Sorry, been at the bottom of a bottle for the past few days drowning my sorrows...hic... can't remember anything...hic...Something about bells ringing and...hic....a King...hic...crowing on about something...hic...or other...hic. :boggled: Na just kidding, been busy as...you know what, at work. Guess everyone is at the moment. Hope you are all enjoying the craziness of the season! Life will be back to normal soon enough:lol:
@TurnLeft, you do remember I've got your review still to do. :mischievous: Don't you!?:sly: I don't know if I would be so smug if I was you...Well actually, I probably would yeah :crazy: I'll get to it soon, promise.:guilty: Running short of time here too. Hope to get it done asap and finish off the 600pp version of mine( That I started first), but only had 1 1/2 hour on the game all weekend:(.
oops, forgot that one... I think I might have been wrongly quoted, yes that's it, you know like those sports stars when they open their mouths they say one thing but the press turns the meaning around to give the story more zest, yah that sounds pretty much what I think happened. I think the 8 paragraphs of me saying how much you were a wonderful, adaptable, adventurous, affable, affectionate, agreeable, ambitious, amiable, amicable, amusing, brave, bright, broad-minded, calm, careful, charming, communicative, compassionate, conscientious, considerate, convivial, courageous, courteous, creative, decisive, determined, diligent, diplomatic, discreet, dynamic, easygoing, motional, energetic, enthusiasic, exuberant, fair-minded, faithful, fearless, forceful, frank, friendly, funny, generous, gentle, good, gregarious, hard-working, helpful, honest, humorous, imaginative, impartial, independent, intellectual,
intelligent, intuitive, inventive, kind, loving, loyal, modest, neat,nice, optimistic, passionate, patient, persistent,
, pioneering, philosophical, placid, plucky, polite, powerful, practical, pro-active, quick-witted, quiet, rational, reliable
, reserved, resourceful, romantic, self-confident, self-disciplined, sensible, sensitive, shy, sincere, sociable, straightforward, sympathetic, thoughtful, tidy, tough, unassuming, understanding, versatile, warmhearted, willing, witty person you are were somehow ignored.
Baby-Seal-animals-35311006-500-461.jpg
Please forgive me for that omission and have the most beautiful fun filled day my dear sir.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited:
Back