: Degrees of rotation

• Thread starter FinnZevo
  • 26 comments
United States
Tour Bus
DKGuitarstar
Finn Zevo
Ive been messing around with this for so long on my DFGT,im using 540 degrees now,i was using 900,Please post what degrees you are using for your DFGT...Does anyone know what a real cars degree of rotation is?

Finn,

I am using the DFGT and have been happy with 360 rotation and 50% Sensitivity so far. I might mess around with 450, and maybe up the sens.

I tried 900 and was having issues keeping a car on the track.

thanks for the info everyone,ive been using the default setting now after the patches,its seems to be pretty good now...

The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Its much easier to drive a D or C class car with 900° but it gets trickier on pure racing cars.
I Agree that the best is to keep 900° and change the steering lock from the car settings.
I do it the other way and change from 900° to 540° (G27, Ps3), depending on the car.

Last edited:
Real life steering degrees.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202903

900* or more. (2.5 or more full turns lock to lock) Usually anything from average road cars to sports cars.

720* + or - (2.0 more or less turns lock to lock) Drift cars. Multiple classes of Rally cars (group N)

540* + or - (1.5 more or less turns lock to lock) GT1 and 3 spec race cars, and WRC Rally cars.

360* + or - (1.0 more or less turns lock to lock) Formula 1 cars.

Last edited:
Real life steering degrees.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202903

900* or more. (2.5 or more full turns lock to lock) Usually anything from average road cars to sports cars.

720* + or - (2.0 more or less turns lock to lock) Drift cars. Multiple classes of Rally cars (group N)

540* + or - (1.5 more or less turns lock to lock) GT1 and 3 spec race cars, and WRC Rally cars.

360* + or - (1.0 more or less turns lock to lock) Formula 1 cars.

Please dont take this the hard way but I think you are wrong about the GT1/GT3 steering lock check this video you can clearly see him turn the wheel up to the lock and it is definitly 360º

Skip to 1 minute (at 1.07 you can see him hitting the steering lock around 360º)

F1 is usually 360º except for monaco (and maybe elsewere) were the steering lock goes around 450º

Skip to 30 seconds (at 35s you can see him turn the wheel way past 360º)

And most cars (common city cars) use 1080º Ive been investigating it...

Last edited:
Can anyone point me to a good description of what each of the wheel settings actually do? So far I have not seen anything from EA/SMS on this.

Also - what is the relationship between the on-wheel rotation setting on a Fanatec and the in-game rotation setting?

Thanks for any insight.....

For some reason, the game only feels right to me with 540º and fine tuning the steering lock for each car/track in the tuning menu.

I tried other settings but... Its like speed and steering sensitivity. They must be set to 100 or else it feels weird to me.

For a description of what the settings do see the G27 thread.

Family cars often have around 1200 degrees rotation. Performance roads cars often have far less than 900 degrees - even my daily driver, an estate, has only 630 degrees.

I'm currently using 450 with S2U, reduced from an initial 540. Steering settings are linear with no dead zone.

DJ
--

Last edited:
... Its like speed and steering sensitivity. They must be set to 100 or else it feels weird to me.
With that you have non linearities sort of working against each other, going from a log response at low speed towards an exp response at high speeds. It's about as far as you can come from a realistic steering response in a race car. Each to his own, of course, but I'd really try a sens=50/speedsens=0 setting - that's the one setting that there's actually nothing weird about :)

DJ
--

Last edited:
Steering sens 50, for linear
Speed sens 0, so same at sens regardless of speed ( ie no PAS)
540 rot... Though I did use 450 for a long time... It's just what you get used to.

At the moment, I'm not tuning in cars, as there are so many loaner races... so I just get used to whatever I'm given :)

For OP, I read an 8% quick rack, on a Caterham given around 650 rot.
But for racing you use a 22% rack, unfortunately not quite sure what it's 22% of.
I can tell you though, with a 22 rack it's tricky manuerving it around a paddock.

Steering sens 50, for linear
Speed sens 0, so same at sens regardless of speed ( ie no PAS)
540 rot... Though I did use 450 for a long time... It's just what you get used to.

At the moment, I'm not tuning in cars, as there are so many loaner races... so I just get used to whatever I'm given :)

For OP, I read an 8% quick rack, on a Caterham given around 650 rot.
But for racing you use a 22% rack, unfortunately not quite sure what it's 22% of.
I can tell you though, with a 22 rack it's tricky manuerving it around a paddock.

Yeap

Steering sens - 50 - linear response
Speed sens - 0 - same response regardless the speed

this settings are pretty much what GT5 uses and they are what I use also

Last edited:
The speed sensitivity works the other way around. At 0, steering will be completely lineair, regardless of speed. This means that if you have a low steering angle (like 360 degrees), you will suffer from the weaving effect on high speed straights (e.g. too sensitive).

But if you put it at any non-zero value, the game will decrease sensitivity as speed increases, not increase it (that would be stupid ;)). This works in the same way as real life steering assists/power steering. The effect will be greater with greater numbers (so setting it to 100 results in nearly no response at all at high speeds while running at 900 degrees)

That's why it makes sense to increase the speed sensitivity if you are using a low steering angle. At higher angles, reduce it or set to zero, so steering will remain lineair.

Oh, found the info i was looking for about Caterhams.

A Caterham standard rack is 1.93 lock to lock ( superlight r500)
I.e. 695
You can get a 8% or 22% rack which are % reductions
Which gives you
8% = 639
22% = 542

8% is good for the road,but 22% is a bit fast from memory, e,g, if road surface is not as good as a race track, it can dart around abit , but improves handling no end on track :)

On speed sensitivity I've found since 1.02 it's not needed, the weaving was more an oscillating effect than due to movement, of course if you you used really low rot with a wheel then it may come into play ... E.g. Using say 180?

Last edited:
@DrJustice,

OK, I'll try those, but I've been fast enough in autolog and I have a few regional records with those settings. If those work and I beat ONE world record I'll buy you several beers :D
Only because I know I won't beat nothing :D

^ You beat them any way you can, RomKnight! :lol: I'll just have to get my own beer :cheers:

On a more serious note, I would think most of us are after a realistic/convincing racing experience with all the challenges it presents. Steering a race car on the edge is demanding, and overcoming that challenge is part of what makes racing fun and interesting(?)

DJ
--

I must give you credit those settings with 450º lock are just awesome.

I never have driven a GT car but the MC12 I just tested with these settings is more planted now and easier to drive (I don't use any assists so it shows :D)

Just to confirm those settings were as good as they feel I had another shot to regain top of the speedwall at Shangai Yan'an. Where I previously struggled to do 2:44, I did 2:42 in just about 15m :D

I might have a world record after all :D

Do you have to reset the wheel options in order for new ones to take effect? I have been changing degree of rotation all the way from 900 down to the lowest setting and it doesn't seem to change much ... the damn Impreza you drive for the first time doesn't want to turn. I have the steering locks set at 25 I believe.

After the patch I had to reset the settings and still only got 900º steering no matter how I put it.. I had to restart the game and it was fine then...

What really frustrates me a lot is that you cant tune loaner cars. The 911RS and the Caterham in the One Maker Championships for example got waaaaay too low steering lock for my wheel settings but you cant do jack about it. So your Caterham which should be nimble and agile feels like a garbage truck in the tight corners... sigh.

Btw, am I the only one having an incredibly hard time to even keep that damn Corvette in those events straight when stepping on the throttle... on the straights?!? Its completely in balance, I accelerate (not even full throttle) and it breaks completely loose and drifts off to the side uncontrollably. :crazy:

You have to use snickers instead of boots for those kind of vehicles :D

The 'vette is actually one of the few american cars *I* can drive if I do the above or better yet, use only socks :D

Back