Deltawing just went missing! UPDATE: Reappeared, but got a child.

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by dr_slump, Nov 5, 2013.

?

What's your emotional status now?

1. I'm crying and lying in a lake of tears.

20.3%
  2. I don't care, nope, not at all.

24.0%
  3. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

35.6%
  4. Tss, tss, PD as usual...

20.1%
  1. FT-1

FT-1

You may not see 'over-the-top' as real cars because they aren't conventional designs. However, with greater scope for innovation nowadays, there are more opportunities for car manufacturers to think outside of the box and come up with new ways to design cars.

Lets use the DeltaWing as an example. Aesthetically, it's arguably unattractive, but its shape does have benefits in terms of weight, handling and efficiency, and these discoveries are finding their way into (future) road cars. Sooner or later we will start accepting this sort of design to be normal.
    [​IMG]

iainoflo85 and JDMsk8r like this.
  2. jonjwlee

jonjwlee

Well, think of it this way: can you imagine someone who, in 1886, witnessed the birth of the Benz Patent Motorwagen, then looked at the Cadillac Type 53 (the first car with a modern control layout with the gearlever and handbrake in the middle and three pedals for clutch, brake and throttle) 31 years later and say, "This doesn't look like a car I'm used to anymore"? Would you like to drive a modern car with a tiller for a steering wheel and levers to operate the brakes and the throttle?

Cars should always be evolving. If they didn't, we would not have all the amazing cars we've been lucky to have in the past (and request to be added to GT6 :D). It seems like these days we're stuck looking at the past to figure out what we should be doing, instead of putting our foot down and creating something for our generation that is truly memorable. All these highly-talented, highly-trained engineers and designers standing around in a corner going, "We need to make something we know people will want to buy. I know, let's make more crossovers and 500 new variations of the Mini!" As a lifelong car nut and an aspiring designer, I hate this. I hate this so much.

We're so caught up in the past, in the great history of the car that we feel forced to design our cars the way we know it is. We forget what made all the icons of the car so great -- that single spark of creativity. We forget that once in a while we need to toss that car encyclopedia aside and make something that actually changes something for the better.

That's why I look up to the DeltaWing. Ben Bowlby, the designer of the car, just tore up the race car engineering rulebook the entire racing community held dear and found an entirely new way to look at how to deal with the physics of cornering and acceleration. And yet, despite the success the car found on the track, people still find the need to go around laughing at the damn thing. I feel that there's no use for us car enthusiasts to go, "Look at it, it isn't even a proper car," because sooner or later the whole world is going to pass us by and we'll have not a leg to stand on.

In my opinion, if we want our ailing automotive industry to get back up on its own two feet and return to its heyday, we should at the very least give the DeltaWing (and other similarly "far-out" ideas on how our cars should be like in the future) the attention and respect it deserves.

EDIT: Sorry for rant. Got a little too emotional there.

3. indiota

indiota

OMG, it is back! and the ugly closed panoz version is coming as well.

4. grashopper

grashopper

Anyone know if they will be the same performance wise between the two years?

5. Youngun

Youngun

Im glad the nissan sponsored one and the panoz lone version is also in game (open roof only i think).

Well with redbull being a part of GT, maybe redbull gives you "delta"wings.

Edit: isnt it time to change to title.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    mcalva98 likes this.
  6. Turismo.M.G!

Turismo.M.G!

Don't be saying that, it could disappear again any time!

7. dr_slump

dr_slump Premium

Done

I was at work, had late shift.

8. Bounkazz

Bounkazz

That's what I was looking for too, conventional design. And yeah, you have a good point there. Might have to start accepting them. :p

FastTech likes this.
  9. Youngun

Youngun

Hope i havent jinxd it :nervous:

10. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bounkazz likes this.
  11. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

A lot of you don't realize that we are getting both a car owned by Mr. Panoz, and the original that went missing, which is owned by Mr. Panoz.. Mr. Panoz owns the "shiny one" as many of you call it, and a group of four I believe co-own (ed) the original 2012 model. Mr. Panoz owns the rights to the original black Deltawing that we've all originally thought wad gone...

Funny how I've heard nothing from the press about the actual legal dispute, but we not only get the original Deltawing, but a new livery as well..

I wanna see if @GTPLANET finds anymore info in Ronda, and reply soon!!

12. Bounkazz

Bounkazz

What does he mean with "cloned"?

13. Youngun

Youngun

So is it the closed roof Panoz or or the open top deltawing design.

14. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

Probably the original and the Panoz created one ..... Ughh or the "shiny one" as many call it

There are two different cars apparently we will get.. The original, and the Panoz created one

Both will be the open top... The 2012 was nicked out last year by an r18, and the 2013 Panoz Deltawing is the open... Otherwise, if any mention is made about a coupe Deltawing, that is the closed bubble monocoque racer..

15. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

There's a user called GTPLANET?! :odd:

16. Motominded

Motominded

Since you don't know what a modern grand prix made from? How can you say you know what is and what isn't a car?
    Second, street cars construction has no place on a race track as a survival cell must now exist in all form of competition. If you ran a basic street car on the road with a basic roll cage, it will not satisfy any FIA rule book for protection.

Think for a sec why competition cars are the way they are. I've seen all the generations of DeltaWing in person and its pretty clear to me it is a car.

17. Youngun

Youngun

So not this one then
    [​IMG]

18. Wiegert

Wiegert Premium

Nice to see Mr Panoz gave them permission to take the DeltaWing to their in-house cloning facility.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  19. OriginalCheezIt

OriginalCheezIt

Can I ask you one question?

Would you like to start a design firm with me? Please?

But really though, this is a spot-post. Many kudos to you. Consider that offer a real one if we ever do meet. :tup::tup::tup:

20. dr_slump

dr_slump Premium

Ok, ok, I'm going to change that in a sec.

21. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

STAHP messing around with the title! lol

22. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

Nerp.... That's the coupe (nice pic... New background )

23. dr_slump

dr_slump Premium

Ha! Did it again!

Swagger897 likes this.
  24. QuattroDelta

QuattroDelta

Yes.

25. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

26. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

Yeah... Meant for the @ to be for twitter but I forgot.... This ain't twitter

27. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

[​IMG]

Edit: whopse, didn't realize the size of this lol

Bounkazz and Swagger897 like this.
  28. GTboyz

GTboyz

lol the title

Swagger897 likes this.
  29. Youngun

Youngun

30. RACECAR