Deltawing just went missing! UPDATE: Reappeared, but got a child.

• Thread starter dr_slump
  • 609 comments

What's your emotional status now?

• Total voters
You may not see 'over-the-top' as real cars because they aren't conventional designs. However, with greater scope for innovation nowadays, there are more opportunities for car manufacturers to think outside of the box and come up with new ways to design cars.

Lets use the DeltaWing as an example. Aesthetically, it's arguably unattractive, but its shape does have benefits in terms of weight, handling and efficiency, and these discoveries are finding their way into (future) road cars. Sooner or later we will start accepting this sort of design to be normal.
NissanBladeGlider.jpg

Perhaps. I just thought of something, the shapes, forms and looks too. They don't look like cars we're all used to anymore either.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd like to test the Deltawing, and drive with the F1 cars, sure, no problem, but they're still not proper cars in my opinion, haha. I guess it's just me or my gut feeling towards these over-the-top cars. I'm a great fan of JDM cars, maybe that's what's changing my opinion on the over-the-top cars. :P

Well, think of it this way: can you imagine someone who, in 1886, witnessed the birth of the Benz Patent Motorwagen, then looked at the Cadillac Type 53 (the first car with a modern control layout with the gearlever and handbrake in the middle and three pedals for clutch, brake and throttle) 31 years later and say, "This doesn't look like a car I'm used to anymore"? Would you like to drive a modern car with a tiller for a steering wheel and levers to operate the brakes and the throttle?

Cars should always be evolving. If they didn't, we would not have all the amazing cars we've been lucky to have in the past (and request to be added to GT6 :D). It seems like these days we're stuck looking at the past to figure out what we should be doing, instead of putting our foot down and creating something for our generation that is truly memorable. All these highly-talented, highly-trained engineers and designers standing around in a corner going, "We need to make something we know people will want to buy. I know, let's make more crossovers and 500 new variations of the Mini!" As a lifelong car nut and an aspiring designer, I hate this. I hate this so much.

We're so caught up in the past, in the great history of the car that we feel forced to design our cars the way we know it is. We forget what made all the icons of the car so great -- that single spark of creativity. We forget that once in a while we need to toss that car encyclopedia aside and make something that actually changes something for the better.

That's why I look up to the DeltaWing. Ben Bowlby, the designer of the car, just tore up the race car engineering rulebook the entire racing community held dear and found an entirely new way to look at how to deal with the physics of cornering and acceleration. And yet, despite the success the car found on the track, people still find the need to go around laughing at the damn thing. I feel that there's no use for us car enthusiasts to go, "Look at it, it isn't even a proper car," because sooner or later the whole world is going to pass us by and we'll have not a leg to stand on.

In my opinion, if we want our ailing automotive industry to get back up on its own two feet and return to its heyday, we should at the very least give the DeltaWing (and other similarly "far-out" ideas on how our cars should be like in the future) the attention and respect it deserves.

EDIT: Sorry for rant. Got a little too emotional there.

Im glad the nissan sponsored one and the panoz lone version is also in game (open roof only i think).

Well with redbull being a part of GT, maybe redbull gives you "delta"wings.

Edit: isnt it time to change to title.

Last edited:
You may not see 'over-the-top' as real cars because they aren't conventional designs. However, with greater scope for innovation nowadays, there are more opportunities for car manufacturers to think outside of the box and come up with new ways to design cars.

Lets use the DeltaWing as an example. Aesthetically, it's arguably unattractive, but its shape does have benefits in terms of weight, handling and efficiency, and these discoveries are finding their way into (future) road cars. Sooner or later we will start accepting this sort of design to be normal.
NissanBladeGlider.jpg

That's what I was looking for too, conventional design. And yeah, you have a good point there. Might have to start accepting them. :P

A lot of you don't realize that we are getting both a car owned by Mr. Panoz, and the original that went missing, which is owned by Mr. Panoz.. Mr. Panoz owns the "shiny one" as many of you call it, and a group of four I believe co-own (ed) the original 2012 model. Mr. Panoz owns the rights to the original black Deltawing that we've all originally thought wad gone...

Funny how I've heard nothing from the press about the actual legal dispute, but we not only get the original Deltawing, but a new livery as well..

I wanna see if @GTPLANET finds anymore info in Ronda, and reply soon!!

What does he mean with "cloned"?
Probably the original and the Panoz created one ..... Ughh or the "shiny one" as many call it

There are two different cars apparently we will get.. The original, and the Panoz created one

So is it the closed roof Panoz or or the open top deltawing design.

Both will be the open top... The 2012 was nicked out last year by an r18, and the 2013 Panoz Deltawing is the open... Otherwise, if any mention is made about a coupe Deltawing, that is the closed bubble monocoque racer..

In my opinion it's not a real car anymore. Just like the X2010 and newer. In my opinion F1 "cars" are pushing the right to be labeld a car too. They are glass-fiber bodies with upside-down down aircraft wings and a fast engine. Well, great. Same as a NASCAR car, steeltube frame with a steel body and a pretty fast engine. Marvellous.

And don't come at me with: "Do you even know the definition of a car?", yes I do. But still. :P

Since you don't know what a modern grand prix made from? How can you say you know what is and what isn't a car?
Second, street cars construction has no place on a race track as a survival cell must now exist in all form of competition. If you ran a basic street car on the road with a basic roll cage, it will not satisfy any FIA rule book for protection.

Think for a sec why competition cars are the way they are. I've seen all the generations of DeltaWing in person and its pretty clear to me it is a car.

Probably the original and the Panoz created one ..... Ughh or the "shiny one" as many call it

There are two different cars apparently we will get.. The original, and the Panoz created one

Both will be the open top... The 2012 was nicked out last year by an r18, and the 2013 Panoz Deltawing is the open... Otherwise, if any mention is made about a coupe Deltawing, that is the closed bubble monocoque racer..
So not this one then
rd44113.jpg

Nice to see Mr Panoz gave them permission to take the DeltaWing to their in-house cloning facility.

Last edited:
I wouldent've cared, it's a dumbass "car" anyway...
Well, think of it this way: can you imagine someone who, in 1886, witnessed the birth of the Benz Patent Motorwagen, then looked at the Cadillac Type 53 (the first car with a modern control layout with the gearlever and handbrake in the middle and three pedals for clutch, brake and throttle) 31 years later and say, "This doesn't look like a car I'm used to anymore"? Would you like to drive a modern car with a tiller for a steering wheel and levers to operate the brakes and the throttle?

Cars should always be evolving. If they didn't, we would not have all the amazing cars we've been lucky to have in the past (and request to be added to GT6 :D). It seems like these days we're stuck looking at the past to figure out what we should be doing, instead of putting our foot down and creating something for our generation that is truly memorable. All these highly-talented, highly-trained engineers and designers standing around in a corner going, "We need to make something we know people will want to buy. I know, let's make more crossovers and 500 new variations of the Mini!" As a lifelong car nut and an aspiring designer, I hate this. I hate this so much.

We're so caught up in the past, in the great history of the car that we feel forced to design our cars the way we know it is. We forget what made all the icons of the car so great -- that single spark of creativity. We forget that once in a while we need to toss that car encyclopedia aside and make something that actually changes something for the better.

That's why I look up to the DeltaWing. Ben Bowlby, the designer of the car, just tore up the race car engineering rulebook the entire racing community held dear and found an entirely new way to look at how to deal with the physics of cornering and acceleration. And yet, despite the success the car found on the track, people still find the need to go around laughing at the damn thing. I feel that there's no use for us car enthusiasts to go, "Look at it, it isn't even a proper car," because sooner or later the whole world is going to pass us by and we'll have not a leg to stand on.

In my opinion, if we want our ailing automotive industry to get back up on its own two feet and return to its heyday, we should at the very least give the DeltaWing (and other similarly "far-out" ideas on how our cars should be like in the future) the attention and respect it deserves.

EDIT: Sorry for rant. Got a little too emotional there.

Can I ask you one question?

Would you like to start a design firm with me? Please?

But really though, this is a spot-post. Many kudos to you. Consider that offer a real one if we ever do meet. 👍👍👍

Ok, ok, I'm going to change that in a sec.

Back