Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,115 comments
Don't believe I have ever posted in here as I don't open up about this type of stuff very often. Something has been weighing on me lately, and I don't feel like my privacy is particularly invaded by opening up about it.

Spontaneity drives my anxiety through the roof in my everyday life.

Typically I am the type of person who will plan my errands and gatherings with friends/family days to weeks in advance. I know this isn't really strange, it's pretty common. But if the occasion arises where a friend invites me to an event on the day of it happening (within and hour or two), I may decline. Especially if it requires a 30+ minute drive. I don't know why, but my mind goes bonkers. I feel like I'm not mentally prepared. It could be a place I've been to a hundred times, so it not like axiety of trying something new or going somewhere I've never been.

Another occasion the anxiety gets to me is going off schedule. Suppose I'm already out at an event with a friend and near the end they ask if I'd like to go to place xyz before heading home. No, I wasn't prepared to go to xyz, in my mind I am mentally prepared to be home at roughly 6:45. This xyz added event will take an hour longer.

I was on SnapChat this morning and saw a friend a few hours North in Chicago when looking through stories. I replied to the story to comment on the trip and picture, and they replied saying they were with a friend and ended up making a spontaneous adventure up to Chicago for no reason other than to do something. All I could think of was how stressful it would be for me to take a spontaneous 3-4 hour road trip.

I understand, it's difficult to suddenly go out and see people with no preparation and be the you they expect to see. But would you have the same anxiety if you were to say, spontaneously go to the shop, or go for a drive somewhere on your own? Or is it only when there's friends or family involved?

Last edited:
Never been much of a talker anyway. :P
I'm the opposite. When I'm amongst friends and I feel good, I can't stop talking. In the gym, for instance, I was known for talking to friends more than working out. :lol:
Luckily, I can keep my mouth shut for a longer period of time as well and listen to what people have to say. One of my exes was very pleased with that, I think. :D

EDIT: I just read @kolio's post and I'm also the opposite. :D
I like to be spontaneous. I don't like to plan things ahead but it is not a problem to do so.
Some years ago during the summer, I suddenly had a plan to go to France and celebrate their national holiday. I was with two neighbours, and one of the two was half French half Belgian, and told them that I suddenly came up with this idea. It was already evening. We jumped in my car and drove to France.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. When I'm amongst friends and I feel good, I can't stop talking. In the gym, for instance, I was known for talking to friends more than working out. :lol:
Luckily, I can keep my mouth shut for a longer period of time as well and listen to what people have to say. One of my exes was very pleased with that, I think. :D
LOL true, being able to listen makes you so much more attractive to women.

I don't talk very much because, honestly, I very rarely feel the need to share my thoughts and information, I just don't see the point most of the time.
I only talk when I feel like I absolutely can't hold back and it makes logical sense to consult another person for their opinion.

Also, whenever people want to talk to me I happen to be deep in thoughts or daydreaming and they interrupt me, I'm not rude but I'm thinking ''Get ON with it, I want to get back to my thoughts!''. That makes me a bad listener as well.

Those things probably make people think I'm just a super grumpy, dismissive person - which I am not! :scared:

Last edited:
I understand, it's difficult to suddenly go out and see people with no preparation and be the you they expect to see. But would you have the same anxiety if you were to say, spontaneously go to the shop, or go for a drive somewhere on your own? Or is it only when there's friends or family involved?
I did some more thinking on this last night and it ultimately comes down to fear of judgement in some cases.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no?

If I have a relatively free day (not very uncommon) and I'm doing projects around the house with dad I kind of expect at some point I'll have to run to the hardware store. I may have some dried paint on the jeans. Hardware stores it is normal to walk in a little rough. That's socially acceptable. I won't feel judged.

I am the type of person who has to wake up early, be ready for work early, be to work 15 minutes early. Early, early, and early. If I'm on time, I feel late. I need to mentally settle in to my environment.

If I wake up late (not late, but late to me), I feel rushed in getting ready and showered for work. Next thing I know I feel like I have rushed through my morning routine and then I have itching (mentally, not physically) feeling that I'm dirty and not properly bathed. And then it's a giant snowball. Then I'm early to work by 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes and I feel late. Oh yeah, did I remember to put deodorant on? Of course I did. But I keep falling back in my mind about how I woke up later than I had wanted to and felt rushed. And it throws my whole day off. My body feels tense, I get hot flashes, I feel gross.

Now, it's not the same feeling when say a friend invites out to something on the day of. I'm already showered earlier in the day, I already have clothes on etc. That turns more into whether or not I'm hanging out with a loud friend, chill friend, whatever. I change who I am depending on who I am around. Can I pep myself up today to go hang with this loud friend? Maybe if I knew the day before. Then the spontaneity of maybe that friend wanting to randomly drive an hour to visit a nature center. I signed up to go out for lunch spontaneously, not take away the rest of my day. Which, I had nothing planned to do anyways! Oh no, don't take away my free time I had nothing planned to do with! Sometimes I can't find the energy. I go home, and sleep.

-------

It sounds really silly typing it out. But it really does get to me and eats at me in different ways.

Last edited:
I did some more thinking on this last night and it ultimately comes down to fear of judgement in some cases.

If I have a relatively free day (not very uncommon) and I'm doing projects around the house with dad I kind of expect at some point I'll have to run to the hardware store. I may have some dried paint on the jeans. Hardware stores it is normal to walk in a little rough. That's socially acceptable. I won't feel judged.

I am the type of person who has to wake up early, be ready for work early, be to work 15 minutes early. Early, early, and early. If I'm on time, I feel late. I need to mentally settle in to my environment.

If I wake up late (not late, but late to me), I feel rushed in getting ready and showered for work. Next thing I know I feel like I have rushed through my morning routine and then I have itching (mentally, not physically) feeling that I'm dirty and not properly bathed. And then it's a giant snowball. Then I'm early to work by 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes and I feel late. Oh yeah, did I remember to put deodorant on? Of course I did. But I keep falling back in my mind about how I woke up later than I had wanted to and felt rushed. And it throws my whole day off. My body feels tense, I get hot flashes, I feel gross.

Now, it's not the same feeling when say a friend invites out to something on the day of. I'm already showered earlier in the day, I already have clothes on etc. That turns more into whether or not I'm hanging out with a loud friend, chill friend, whatever. I change who I am depending on who I am around. Can I pep myself up today to go hang with this loud friend?

This is why I mentioned the 'you they expect to see' before. It's quite draining when you modify yourself for those around you, looks to me (and you've probably thought about it to) that you just have a fear of failing people's expectation. I'm going on a limb here, but adapting yourself for other people usually just means being more agreeable and making them feel understood. It sounds great and unselfish but it's not healthy for you, especially if you don't have any means in which to express your true self.

I'm sure this point could be construed to be relevant for your trip to work in the morning too, I don't know. Could alternatively be a fear of leaving your comfort zone, which if so I'd recommend quickly avoiding so it doesn't become a habit. Habitually sitting in your comfort zone is a very hard wall to break. And it gets quite dismal.

Last edited:
It's quite draining when you modify yourself for those around you...
Can confirm.

...adapting yourself for other people usually just means being more agreeable and making them feel understood. It sounds great and unselfish but it's not healthy for you, especially if you don't have any means in which to express your true self.
Yes, no... not sure.

I'm sure this point could be construed to be relevant for your trip to work in the morning too, I don't know. Could alternatively be a fear of leaving your comfort zone, which if so I'd recommend quickly avoiding so it doesn't become a habit. Habitually sitting in your comfort zone is a very hard wall to break. And it gets quite dismal.
I certainly don't like getting far out of my comfort zone. I need to try new things in life before I get stuck.

EDIT: Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Last edited:
LOL true, being able to listen makes you so much more attractive to women.

I don't talk very much because, honestly, I very rarely feel the need to share my thoughts and information, I just don't see the point most of the time.
I only talk when I feel like I absolutely can't hold back and it makes logical sense to consult another person for their opinion.

Also, whenever people want to talk to me I happen to be deep in thoughts or daydreaming and they interrupt me, I'm not rude but I'm thinking ''Get ON with it, I want to get back to my thoughts!''. That makes me a bad listener as well.

Those things probably make people think I'm just a super grumpy, dismissive person - which I am not! :scared:

I am with you on this...
I am so the type of person who can't bear listening to bs, and non essential conversation...
I have limited patience for waste of time filler and for that reason, I am rarely interested in making small talk, which in turn makes me lack those skills, which in turn makes me having lack confidence without myself to go out and talk to anyone, and thus being in public among other "normal" people, I have no interest ...

It is a vicious circle, which makes me much more comfortable being alone with myself and in my own thoughts...

I like my own peace and quiet and do not need to have people around me to be able to feel happy...

Refer to the HAPPINESS thread.

The point I am trying to make:
Being the way you are, I do not think there is anything wrong with you and see for yourself, you are not the only one, there is at least me with you in the same situation.
And more importantly, this is no reason be be stressed or depressed about.

There is no rule that obligate you or me to be social with other, nothing wrong in wanting to be alone most of the time.

I highly suggest you to go to the HAPPINESS thread and share your thoughts on what makes you happy, it would seem you may have learned a few things since the last time you posted. Rather than focusing on the negative or unpleasant part of life, life is too short, it's better if you focus on what makes YOU (not others) happy, honestly.

Now, it's not the same feeling when say a friend invites out to something on the day of. I'm already showered earlier in the day, I already have clothes on etc. That turns more into whether or not I'm hanging out with a loud friend, chill friend, whatever. I change who I am depending on who I am around. Can I pep myself up today to go hang with this loud friend? Maybe if I knew the day before. Then the spontaneity of maybe that friend wanting to randomly drive an hour to visit a nature center. I signed up to go out for lunch spontaneously, not take away the rest of my day. Which, I had nothing planned to do anyways! Oh no, don't take away my free time I had nothing planned to do with! Sometimes I can't find the energy. I go home, and sleep.

-------

It sounds really silly typing it out. But it really does get to me and eats at me in different ways.

Life is too short, why are you trying to make every single moment a perfect moment....

Life is not perfect, you have margins, learn to let yourself more loose and try to step outside of your beaten path....

You seems to be a creature of perfect habits...

It's ok to not be perfect.
Who cares, and even if they do... Stop making harder on yourself...

Just be reasonable with yourself. You are a human, not a robot..

I can never be like you... I am a total opposite.
I need a bit of your skills lol...
But I don't care... I like being "rogue"....

Well, I'm happy to report I found a way to decrease the severity of my illness. I found scientific papers about the effect of nicotine on chronic inflamed bowel diseases and in most cases its surprisingly effective even though nobody has a clue why. Smoking tobacco, experimental oral drugs containing nicotine, nicotine patches used to treat nicotine addictions and even enemas were effective in experiments, and interestingly the time between relapses was DRAMATICALLY increased compared to the usual treatments with anti-inflammatory drugs.

So I smoked 1 strong cigar every day for 5 days and on day 2 I already felt significantly better. Of course that's only a short time treatment during flare-ups, but compared to the other anti-inflammatory drugs nicotine is very mild. I just ordered nicotine patches for further experiments. Luckily I'm used to nicotine from smoking strong cigars every now and then so high dosages of nicotine do not make me feel dizzy or nauseous.

Having a functioning body again and no debilitating cramps with bloodloss every day helps combat my depression, for the first time in months I feel the tiniest glimpse of hope. I just hope it wont get crushed. But even if it eventually turns out unsuccessful, I will keep on fighting with the sheer power of defiance.

Last edited:
Finally some good press for smoking. You could always snus if price or health concerns are an issue. Those little chews pack a lot of nicotine.

If it is Winter for you and Winter makes you feel down, at least Spring is on the way to hopefully uplift your spirits. I love cold weather times, but even I admit it can be pretty depressing. Spring just seems to uplift me. Other than this, I hope all of you are doing well. Just remember to keep that smile on your face and in your heart as best as you can. If you need medication or therapy, get it. Don't let depression run your life to where you feel you stand no chance in life. And most importantly...

Don't let depression (or anxiety) win.

Saw this on Reddit and it really got me thinking...
61173E2E-5150-42F0-B848-CDEC4AE77237.jpeg

Saw this on Reddit and it really got me thinking...
View attachment 995440
Not true.
When I'm depressed there is a mental mechanism that makes me want to get out of a depression ASAP. I'm almost always doing the right things (known by medical science and my own gut) when I'm depressed. Except staying away from benzos which are the main reason for getting very severely depressed with constant anxieties in the first place. If I knew this years ago, I wouldn't have had all the very severe depressions I had since 2006.

Put this on Reddit. :mischievous:

Each to their own. It resonated with me because if I’m totally depressed I can’t even will myself to want to recover.

Each to their own. It resonated with me because if I’m totally depressed I can’t even will myself to want to recover.
That is not good. :guilty:

Like my father. He makes himself even more depressed by doing nothing and have self pity, negative and pessimistic thoughts.

It is now Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. To me, there is a certain magic to Spring even for someone who loves cold weather like I do. I would say Spring sort of lifts your spirits. Always look for any sort of time that can elevate your spirits when you're down.

And as always... don't let depression or anxiety win.

It is now Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. To me, there is a certain magic to Spring even for someone who loves cold weather like I do. I would say Spring sort of lifts your spirits. Always look for any sort of time that can elevate your spirits when you're down.

And as always... don't let depression or anxiety win.
These things are not always possible. It is a fact that many people on this planet say that they are depressed but they just feel very bad. Being depressed is, like I always am when I relapse, is really and truly being depressed. Last year I lost between 18 and 20 kg in two months just by being depressed and having anxiety attacks all the time.

Trying to do some computer work or watch TV isn't even possible. The concentration makes me even more depressed, anxious and I can literally feel the stress coming up. So, what do I do, I lay down on the couch with my earplugs, put an eye mask on and try to relax through breathing exercises. Problems is that I fall asleep and wake up half an hour or one hour later feeling even more depressed.

Even getting up to go to the bathroom (WC) is too much. In my case I'm still able to think rationally but the irrational thoughts and pure anxiety takes over and messes everything up.

Last edited:
Social media can make some people depressed. That was the case when Chrissy Teigen (who I know NOTHING about) quit Twitter recently. I deleted my Instagram recently because of general dissatisfaction with the service along with a loss of interest in trying to make content for my IG. I almost felt like making one last post before I officially wanted to delete my account. However, I simply left without warning. I did tell my Facebook friends and Twitter friends that I left IG.

I guess I have reached a point where I've lost interest in a few things. A loss of interest is a sign of depression, and you don't have to be properly diagnosed with depression to have these symptoms. The clinical term for a loss of interest is called anhedonia. I guess certain feelings from the past have helped contribute to me not feeling as productive. You know, this even pertains to my time on Twitch. I found myself recently unfollowing channels I either don't really watch much anymore or don't feel I as important or loved anymore. This even includes being around people elsewhere whom I thought I was cool with. So maybe I am facing a manifestation of various depressing thoughts.

I always say, GTPlanet... we are all fighting the same battle. We must try to work together to help us all battle depression, anxiety, and any other mental health issues we have. It is best to have other people look out for you instead of be alone in dealing with mental health. You can go through life alone, but it is better having a support system of some kind.

Don't let depression and/or anxiety win.

What I'm curious to know, is if rampant, untreated anxiety can eventually lead to ADHD like symptoms.

Interesting. I’ll have a discussion with him over the weekend and see what he can tell me about those two things and I’ll report back if I get anything useful.

I never think people are fake, and I never question if some people are real or not. I know even people who only post positive material online or always seem happy have their own lives and issues. I was reminded of this when I saw one Twitch streamer this past weekend, who is usually smiling and laughing in her streams, broke down into tears because of some personal issue that impacted her life recently. It is why I hope for the best for everyone. Hopefully someone does not have to experience such problems, but I always hope people can remain happy and positive regardless of what is going on in the world. And if you do need help, talk to someone and hope that someone can be understanding and work to help return you to a state of happiness. We are all fighting the same mental health battles. Let's try to help ease the tensions in our lives if we can. And if you do need some help with your mental health, you are not a disgrace to society; you just need help. We should help issues rather than exasperate them. As the motto of my life issues blog goes, "life happens."

As for me, I haven't really been myself lately. So far this year, I've left a few online services, I have unfollowed Twitch channels I don't really visit anymore, and just overall feel uninterested in a lot of things. Among the online services, I retired from Instagram and will soon retire using Wordpress to try my hand at making a GitHub Page for my online work. I also still feel like people whom I've cared about online (including here on GTPlanet) may no longer care about me. Maybe this is just a lull in my life I'm going through.

Again- don't let depression and/or anxiety win. Get help where you can, when you can.

@JohnBM01, I certainly can’t speak for everyone on GTP, or even for those who post here regularly, but I feel that if any of the members on this site care and take each other’s issues seriously, it’s the posters in this thread.

Having a place to occasionally vent about depression and how tough life is at any current time seems much easier with others who understand and may be going through the same.

In short, we care, and we are cared about, by others in here who understand what it’s like to be a bit down in the dumps.

If your in a bit of a lull, as you say, my own response would be to use it to appreciate how good things have been or will be on the other side. It’s hard to see through the mist of a downer, but having been at rock bottom so many times I’m able appreciate when things aren’t so bad. Hopefully this approach may open up a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for you. Maybe not, who knows, depression in any for is a mother****er.

Take care, and continue to get it off your shoulders here if you need to.

You're right, W3HS. Thank you. It does take courage to admit sharing such issues in your life, but that's the environment I wanted to provide here. I'm glad we all can share our issues and get the needed help.

All of us are going to go through lulls. It's all about how we get through them.

Please read the article, look at the last website. It is important.

I tried it and it works.

Lifts Mood and Eases Depression
Cold showering once or twice a day for 5 minutes may .[2] There’s a high density of cold receptors in the skin. That blast of cold water stimulates your central nervous system. Cold exposure sends a multitude of electrical impulses from the nerve endings to the brain, which can lead to an antidepressant effect.

That blast of cold also helps the brain produce more beta-endorphins, which produce feelings of . If you are feeling down, it certainly can’t hurt to try a cold shower! If you have consistent feelings of depression, please reach out to a healthcare provider or a trusted friend or family member.

Increases Energy
Many people who take cold showers report feeling .[3] Having enough energy is consistently one of people’s top concerns. If you don’t feel you have enough for your day, you may try a cold shower. It may boost your metabolism, helping you burn calories and in the process.

Cold showering or cold bathing may not only help healthy individuals get more energy, but also those with chronic fatigue syndrome.

, a brief cold shower may do the trick for those seeking an energy boost. Disciples of the cold shower technique report a feeling of “alertness” afterward.
https://stillnessinthestorm.com/2020/07/are-cold-showers-good-for-you-an-unlikely-immunity-booster/

Depression is a debilitating mood disorder that is among the top causes of disability worldwide. It can be characterized by a set of somatic, emotional, and behavioral symptoms, one of which is a high risk of suicide. This work presents a hypothesis that depression may be caused by the convergence of two factors: (A) A lifestyle that lacks certain physiological stressors that have been experienced by primates through millions of years of evolution, such as brief changes in body temperature (e.g. cold swim), and this lack of "thermal exercise" may cause inadequate functioning of the brain. (B) Genetic makeup that predisposes an individual to be affected by the above condition more seriously than other people. To test the hypothesis, an approach to treating depression is proposed that consists of adapted cold showers (20 degrees C, 2-3 min, preceded by a 5-min gradual adaptation to make the procedure less shocking) performed once or twice daily. The proposed duration of treatment is several weeks to several months. The following evidence appears to support the hypothesis: Exposure to cold is known to activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase the blood level of beta-endorphin and noradrenaline and to increase synaptic release of noradrenaline in the brain as well. Additionally, due to the high density of cold receptors in the skin, a cold shower is expected to send an overwhelming amount of electrical impulses from peripheral nerve endings to the brain, which could result in an anti-depressive effect. Practical testing by a statistically insignificant number of people, who did not have sufficient symptoms to be diagnosed with depression, showed that the cold hydrotherapy can relieve depressive symptoms rather effectively. The therapy was also found to have a significant analgesic effect and it does not appear to have noticeable side effects or cause dependence. In conclusion, wider and more rigorous studies would be needed to test the validity of the hypothesis.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17993252/

https://www.wimhofmethod.com/benefits-of-cold-showers

Last edited:
I take cold showers most days. I can’t really say they provide any benefit other than waking me up faster.

Anybody got any insights into how Anxiety and ADHD interact?
What I'm curious to know, is if rampant, untreated anxiety can eventually lead to ADHD like symptoms.

The other way around. Untreated ADHD tends to look a lot like anxiety, particularly in adults. And also particularly as there's a spectrum of ADHD types and quite a lot of them don't look like what a lot of people assume stereotypical ADHD looks like. There is a strong co-morbidity with a lot of other mental health disorders, including anxiety disorders, so it's entirely possible to just have both from the outset.

My understanding is that ADHD isn't something that grows over time, although it can get worse or at least more damaging in the ways that it impacts your ability to live your life. It's a structural difference in the brain as to how it produces and uses dopamine and ultimately how the whole executive functioning part of the brain works. If you have it you've had it your whole life, and you should be able to see some evidence of it from childhood. It doesn't develop later in life if it wasn't there early, or at least not later in life than your teens.

The problem is it's not that ADHD people can't function and do everything that a neurotypical person can do, it's just that some stuff is harder for them. That's stressful and consumes a lot of mental energy, but they usually just get told to try harder and stop sucking so much. Which leads to burn out, anxiety, depression, and just general stress as they desperately try to cope at doing things in ways that their brains are totally not equipped to handle. Which then looks a whole lot like "normal" mental illness, but it's not and treating it the same way straight up doesn't work.

It's also more common that most people think, about 5% of the population is the number I remember hearing. If you want a starter test you can try this one, but it can be hard to answer in a way that doesn't feel very vague. I've found a more useful thing to be going on Youtube or other social media and listening to experts or other people with ADHD talk about their experiences and see how well they match up to your own. If you have ADHD then meeting or seeing other ADHD people often feels very familiar.

It wouldn't surprise me if untreated anxiety could also lead to ADHD-like symptoms (without actually being ADHD in a clinical sense), but annoyingly ADHD symptoms are so broad that it's basically impossible to diagnose on symptoms alone. But in that case you would probably expect the ADHD-like compulsions to go away when the anxiety is treated I guess, but I'm no psychiatrist.

I just has a realization about the suicidal thoughts I have from time to time.

It's not that I want to kill myself, but actually my old self. I'm so happy to have realized that, and as long as I keep trying to be a better person, I will be happy with who I am, and not who I was.

Anybody got any insights into how Anxiety and ADHD interact?

I brought it up this past weekend on a call with my father and he’s not sure how they factor into each other, only that his anxiety didn’t kick in until later in life, early 20s, but the ADHD and Tourette’s were both there for a young age.
It could be that as hyperactive state of youth subsided or became more under control with maturity, the anxiety become stronger.

Other than speculation, there’s not much either of us can say on the subject that isn’t anecdotal.

Latest Posts

Back