Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,115 comments
Thanks for the comments @W3HS @HenrySwanson @Imari

but annoyingly ADHD symptoms are so broad that it's basically impossible to diagnose on symptoms alone. But in that case you would probably expect the ADHD-like compulsions to go away when the anxiety is treated I guess, but I'm no psychiatrist.

Hmm, this gets down to it I suppose. What ever the condition or diagnosis is, nothings going to change without treatment. That's perhaps what I need to get in to my head.

I brought it up this past weekend on a call with my father and he’s not sure how they factor into each other, only that his anxiety didn’t kick in until later in life, early 20s, but the ADHD and Tourette’s were both there for a young age.
It could be that as hyperactive state of youth subsided or became more under control with maturity, the anxiety become stronger.

One of the explanations that I've seen is that the anxiety comes when your ADHD starts seriously restricting your ability to live your life as you want to. For most teenagers you're largely guaranteed food and shelter and if stuff doesn't get done then the worst that happens is that parents and teachers maybe yell at you. It's impairing but not in a way that necessarily impacts your safety or relationships.

As an adult suddenly there are real consequences if you can't control your symptoms enough to regularly turn up and do your job, get the bills paid, maintain your house, buy food, etc. Whether you recognise it consciously or not, having to fight your own brain in order to accomplish what other people find to be relatively trivial with major costs for failing is very stressful, and that often comes in as anxiety. And rightly so, anxiety seems to me like a completely rational and sensible response to that situation.

I don't know much about Tourette's but I could see how a similar sort of logic could apply.

Hmm, this gets down to it I suppose. What ever the condition or diagnosis is, nothings going to change without treatment. That's perhaps what I need to get in to my head.

You asked the right question. It's very hard to see that something is not right from the inside. It took me 35 years of struggling before I finally realised that actually something wasn't right and that I was just lazy, nervous and oversensitive like I'd been told my whole life. And honestly, being able to look at it in the same way as a cold or a broken leg is actually pretty refreshing. It's an adversity to overcome but one that you had absolutely no part in creating, you just got unlucky.

You don't have to go straight for treatment if that feels uncomfortable. It is completely okay to go and talk to someone about your concerns with no immediate expectation of treatment options - feel out the ground and gather information if that's what you want to do. Or if you want treatment then by all means go for it, in my experience even trying something that doesn't ultimately work out feels better because you're taking control and starting to push back against something that's making your life difficult.

Neurotypicals make a big fuss about "if you're gonna do something, do it right". It's BS. For people with ADHD the whole problem is getting started, and so that's just putting barriers to entry. "If you're gonna do something, don't be afraid to half-ass it" is what works for me. I convince myself to do the absolute minimum, because it's better than nothing. My recommendation would be whatever is the easiest and least confronting way for your to start engaging with someone who might lead to a diagnosis or treatment, do that.

Or at least I guess the next step up from talking to friends on GTPlanet. :cheers:

I had another cold shower. I always start at around max. 30°C but today, 30°C was too warm. There must be something wrong with the thermostat faucet (don't know the correct English word) because the water started to feel colder a little bit below 25°C. I went to 18°C and after a while it was an amazing pleasant feeling.

Important note: don't use cold water on your head. Only your face and the rest of your body, never on your head.

I do admire Wim Hof’s tolerance skills but I’m not sure if your average joe can expect to attain superhuman powers without years of practice, if ever.

I had another cold shower. I always start at around max. 30°C but today, 30°C was too warm. There must be something wrong with the thermostat faucet (don't know the correct English word) because the water started to feel colder a little bit below 25°C. I went to 18°C and after a while it was an amazing pleasant feeling.

Important note: don't use cold water on your head. Only your face and the rest of your body, never on your head.
How long do the effects last, in your experience?

How long do the effects last, in your experience?
A couple of hours. Max. 3 hours. I mean the extra energy I get immediately during the cold shower. If you mean the adjustment to the t° I can't say because I only started taking cold showers.

I really need these songs lately. It doesn't actually help or accomplish anything because that's how my case goes, but they're great songs to share. Big fan of Porter Robinson.

With any luck these might improve someone else's day.

Yesterday I took a cold shower again and my energy went up 100%. Also, I feel much better when I woke up this morning.

In the beginning, I had to start at 30°C and lower the temperature gradually to around 21°C. Now I can start at 25°C and it still feels like it's too warm. I ended at 18°C and it feels so good after a while.

This link was posted by @Jordan somewhere in this thread about cold water on your body to fight anxiety.

Last evening I took my last "natural" Melatonin supplement. My reasoning was; melatonin is derived from Serotonin, a neurotransmitter you need in abundance to be depression and anxiety free (it is much more complicated than this). That is why depressed people can't sleep properly or even fall asleep and wake up even more depressed. Because the body uses Serotonin to make this melatonin sleep hormone resulting in even less Serotonin in the morning.
My reasoning was that if I take this Melatonin supplement, I probably have more Serotonin in the morning when I wake up and be less depressed. And ... it worked. When I told my doctor about this he said that my reasoning is correct.

I'm sorry... I can't do cold showers. I don't think I'll be trying that method even if I was knee-deep in depression.
I thought the same thing but I persisted and now cold showers are "almost" as easy as warm showers. The positive effects of cold showers are felt after a few showers. You have to start at your feet with a comfortable but not too warm temperature and gradually lower the temperature of the water. Also, very important is to breathe slowly in and out (stomach breathe, not a chest breath).

Another positive thing is that I don't need to turn on the central heating in the bathroom anymore. :D
Yesterday I went for a brisk walk of more than one hour at the Belse Bossen (where I always go jogging) and there was a cold wind. Almost everyone was dressed not to feel cold and I was wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt. The chilly wind didn't bother me at all anymore, in fact it felt good.

I have to say that when you're very severely depressed, taking cold showers is not going to be on your mind, let alone try it.

I really need these songs lately. It doesn't actually help or accomplish anything because that's how my case goes...
Turns out this was a lie. Since getting the full album to listen to, in tandem with a couple other changes, I think Nurture has been genuinely helping me this past week. 👍 👍 I've been listening to my Porter Robinson collection on repeat since we bought the new files (kudos to Amazon Music for no-nonsense DRM-free service).

I don't know. Let me know if you want me to ask if it works or not.
Ask who?

Be careful, because we don't allow or condone unsubstantiated claims, let alone something that could be construed as medical advice, on these forums.

Feel free to cite the scientific literature, but the internet is awash with nonsense relating to these subjects.

I would suggest that advice on these topics should only be sought via qualified professionals by the individual concerned.

Last edited:
My clinical psychologist who is treating me.

I've seen a lot of "kind of" medical advice on GTP and not once a mod said something about it. After all these years, you have to know by now that I'd be the last person to give unsubstantial medical advice.

Last edited:
Apologies if my reply sounded harsh, but we can't take chances when it comes to something like medical advice, which can and should only be dispensed by professionals to specific people, as you know yourself.

On the general topic of CBT, however, the short answer is that is can potentially help in the treatment of alcoholism, but whether it is recommended or how to go about getting it should be a discussion for the concerned individual and their GP.

Apologies if my reply sounded harsh, but we can't take chances when it comes to something like medical advice, which can and should only be dispensed by professionals to specific people, as you know yourself.

On the general topic of CBT, however, the short answer is that is can potentially help in the treatment of alcoholism, but whether it is recommended or how to go about getting it should be a discussion for the concerned individual and their GP.
I can't get a better medical source. She is a clinical psychologist and a cognitive behavioral therapist. https://act-academie.be/personen/tinne-deboel/

No English available.

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with discussing the merits of CBT, just that I'm sketchy about people asking their doctors for advice on something that they intend to pass on to others, especially when something like CBT is going to be very specific and personal anyway - my guess is that any doctor or psychologist will simply say that it can work, but that it is something you need to discuss with a mental health professional.

Medical advice is specific to the patient. I get that. I can see how it might cause an issue claiming to have a solution for a problems that is multifaceted and requires specific treatment.

I know no harm was intended and that I should have know better than to reach out on a topic that is so very personal from individual to individual.

I was probably a few beers in when I made the post that started this conversation. My bad.

Medical advice is specific to the patient. I get that. I can see how it might cause an issue claiming to have a solution for a problems that is multifaceted and requires specific treatment.

I know no harm was intended and that I should have know better than to reach out on a topic that is so very personal from individual to individual.

I was probably a few beers in when I made the post that started this conversation. My bad.
:cheers:

I see no problem in asking what you asked and getting a general and professional answer from a professional. The way I see it is that when one has to go to the doctor/psychologist for only one question, it could be a waste of time and money.
What if this doctor says, "no it is not possible" then it is all for nothing. If the answer is positive, the better.
So if I should ask this question to my psychologist and she gives a general but professional answer then this person who asked the question can decide to do what he wants to do with this information (if it is a positive answer). And it will cost nothing and no time is wasted. Then this person can look for professional help if needed.

If it is not possible, it is still good information because this person doesn't have to waste money and time to find out.

No harm is done because this person still needs to get professional help if he wants results.

No one but me,
Can save myself
But it’s too late
Now I can’t think
Think why I should even try.

No one but me,
Can save myself
But it’s too late
Now I can’t think
Is there a will to change....

EDIT: I probably should have phrased that better. What I was (rather awkwardly) trying to ask is do you think there is hope that you can "save yourself", and would you be willing to take steps to facilitate that.

Last edited:
No one but me,
Can save myself
But it’s too late
Now I can’t think

You're gonna hit us with Metallica song lyrics? Here are some lyrics right back at ya:

I've seen dark before, but not like this
This is cold, this is empty, this is numb
The life I knew is over, the lights are out
Hello, darkness, I'm ready to succumb
I follow you around, I always have
But you've gone to a place I cannot find
This grief has a gravity, it pulls me down
But a tiny voice whispers in my mind
You are lost, hope is gone
But you must go on
And do the next right thing
Can there be a day beyond this night?