Difference from Project Cars?

Brake gamma has been shown on screenshots in the other thread, that's the closest we get to brake pressure in AC. Works similar to a brake pressure adjustment but it's global instead of just per car. Not ideal, but it works ok and as of recent updates it seems most cars have pretty good brake pressure out of the box.
Pissed off Stefano when i said my brakes tend to lock as soon as i touched them in the 'brake pressure thread' :D
That was quite the exaggeration from my part of course, but i'm still not able to stamp on the pedal 100% at the beginning of braking zones. I adjusted my gamma settings and that seemed to have worked for me to be able to use most of the pedal travel now.

He told me it's a conscious decision by Kunos to not have the slider, but that they would talk about the subject with engineers at Vallelunga to look at what is realistically possible:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-sensitivity-needed.25684/page-10#post-655690

For those of you that haven't followed this, the reasons for not adding such a slider are the following:

- Exploits:
This has been discussed ad nauseam. The problem with some sort of brake force pedal adjustment is that it will be used by some to set threshold braking at 100% brake pedal travel to give an ABS like effect. That's what happens in other sims and it can remove all the skill from braking in cars without ABS. If it could be included without becoming an exploit then fine, include it but I really don't see how that's possible.

- Real life:
Never I think, Aris said that he find brake pressure regulation not realistic. In effect he is right, usually where this is possible, it's done by directly changing brake discs (WRC)...

Pissed off Stefano when i said my brakes tend to lock as soon as i touched them in the 'brake pressure thread' :D
That was quite the exaggeration from my part of course, but i'm still not able to stamp on the pedal 100% at the beginning of braking zones. I adjusted my gamma settings and that seemed to have worked for me to be able to use most of the pedal travel now.

I used to have that problem too but I revisited it recently and I guess some of the updates have mostly taken care of it because cars that used to lock up really easily on me don't anymore. It's nice to finally be able to drive the E30 without it spinning on me every time I hit the binders. :D

I used to have that problem too but I revisited it recently and I guess some of the updates have mostly taken care of it because cars that used to lock up really easily on me don't anymore. It's nice to finally be able to drive the E30 without it spinning on me every time I hit the binders. :D
I thought i noticed that too in recent months :), but didn't pay enough attention to it. Next time i boot it up i'll check it again as back when we were discussing it in the AC forum, my brakes locked up at about 80%.

Everything worked out nicely for me. You can also switch the steering wheel radius on the fly when you switch cars, for example a GT3 Cars runs mostly 360°, but Road Cars up to 900° and there is no issues with that.

Then you can adjust FFB for things like overall FFB, Road FFB etc and you definitely feel the bumps in the tracks, it's not a plain flat surface.

I use the TX Wheel, which has the same motor as all other current Thrust master wheels.
Thanks! All sounds good. One thing I thought when seeing the 2 wheel button preset screens is a lack of a KERS button. Where do you think that will be once we get the Ferrari F1 cars? Think they'll just change the turbo control button to KERS on/off?

Thanks! All sounds good. One thing I thought when seeing the 2 wheel button preset screens is a lack of a KERS button. Where do you think that will be once we get the Ferrari F1 cars? Think they'll just change the turbo control button to KERS on/off?
On the FXX K the Kers is limitless, therefore I haven't found a button, but you have a DRS button on the P1 for example. And still keep in mind I'm playing basically a Beta without the final patch. So who knows what's coming

Im still very undecided about this - i love the thought of the realistic physics and hardcore approach but i just think Pcars still has more to offer me and is it worth buying AC. What is the actual AI and the racing like? Is there custom championships? (That was Pcars achilles heel) Ive got a feeling this is more of a 'hot lapping' kind of game.

People talk so much about FFB and laser scanned tracks,but that is not high on my list at all when deciding to get this game. The track selection and dynamic weather of Pcars is a much bigger draw to me.

Im still very undecided about this - i love the thought of the realistic physics and hardcore approach but i just think Pcars still has more to offer me and is it worth buying AC. What is the actual AI and the racing like? Is there custom championships? (That was Pcars achilles heel) Ive got a feeling this is more of a 'hot lapping' kind of game.

People talk so much about FFB and laser scanned tracks,but that is not high on my list at all when deciding to get this game. The track selection and dynamic weather of Pcars is a much bigger draw to me.
Caveat here is that I have only played for an hour so take my impressions on that basis. Project cars graphics are much better than AC. Sounds - AC sounds better to me. Realism - I don't know as I have never raced a car, but AC feels great. Selection of vehicles isn't broad in AC (I have the prestige pack so if you don't then yours will be even smaller), same for tracks - but that will grow with DLC. Am I looking forward to getting home from work and lapping Mugello in my Ferrari 458? Damn right.

If you're still spending a lot of time in another game and don't feel like switching, then by all means don't. If you're worried about content/gameplay, just wait a couple of days and check a few streams/reviews/videos to see if it has what you want. There's no rush, it's going to be around for a long time. :)

As someone who has a few hundred hours on both games on PC, I'll chuck my two cents in.

I'm not sure that the games are so different. The single player and career in pCARS is better, but I still enjoy trying to get medals on the AC challenges. I'm slowly working my way through the career in AC.

AC has better physics, pCARS has better AI and races. Still, I find myself both hotlapping and racing in both. Classic Caterham on California Road at sunrise is my favourite thing in the whole world.

I think if you enjoy pCARS you'll enjoy AC. If you only play a few hours a week then maybe you won't get value out of having two quite similar games. But if you're big on your racing, then definitely give it a try.

To me it's like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport, if you like one you'll probably enjoy the other.

pCARS has better AI

Have you tried the recently improved AI in AC It took a pretty big leap with the last update and it's quite good now. And it looks like it's about to improve more when 1.8 drops today. They used to be not that good but I don't think that's the case anymore, and I've never seen one cut through the grass to pass me, so there's that. :)

I just hope someday Assetto Corsa becomes as polished and fluid as Project Cars.

And damn, I miss that Helmet cam.

When I read that someone puts PCars and AC in the same league as far as driving sensation, it makes me wonder what those gamer are experiencing, as to me there is a world of difference. That difference is what makes one worth driving and not the other. The rest, once you have experienced driving in AC is irrelevant, AI, game play, career, trophies etc... Without the driving experience of AC it is just gaming.

That some kind of joke? That is the very last word I'd ever use to describe PCars.
I should have seen this coming.

I mean graphically, and I mean on PS4.

For example, the way the shadows fall on the windscreen on Assetto Corsa (that looks like they're throwing big, black pixels at you) or, conversely, the detail that goes into making the helmet camera on Project Cars. That sort of thing.

No need to get all fired up and jump into conclusions.

Good physics are somewhere hidden inside that SMS code though. It's just that no one ever seems to find the correct FFB settings to match it. And even if you do get it right, it doesn't apply to all cars and you are still left wondering which of the 256 sliders is causing the problem :D

In any case i'm looking forward to PCARS 2 in a couple of years, see if they manage to equal Kunos this time with regards to the driving experience.

Well... I've got 200+ hours of gameplay on project cars and I'm playing assetto corsa since 2 days now with the day one patch.

Physics, FFB and sounds.

I really liked the sounds of Pcars, but those of Assetto are a step above for me,and in online you don't hear the sound cuts like in Pcars.

Physics and FFB... It's more natural driving on assetto, catch-up a Drift is more natural and easy than in Pcars.
And FFB, yes,Pcars have a huge amount of options..but it isn't on the level of detail that the FFB hives in assetto, and the best off all that you don't need hours to configure it.

Tracks...

In quantity it's a win for project cars, it have a lot of good an nice tracks! But on the quality site those of Assetto are top thanks to the laser scan..it's just amazing how much detail they have and the FFB you receive from them.
They are also lot more accurate than those of project C.A.R.S..monza and nurburgring specially!

IU

For me another win for assetto... His IU is simple, intuitive and fast! The one of project is more complex.. But that's just an personal opinion.

AI

Till today i really liked the AI of project C.A.R.S (not in open wheel) they are fast and agresif.
But they cut the track limits to often.
The AI of Assetto isn't so agresif than those of Pcars, but they defend position and are also fighting back.. They don't cut the track and are really fast, but the should have some more mistakes in my opinion.
I realy like the AI of both games.

Carreer mode

The Carreer mode of project C.A.R.S try to replicate lot of real championships, and it's great! I really love the endurance races.
And it's a huge amount of hours to complete it.
Assetto's one is different.. With a medal system to unlock other races.. It's fun and then the special events are also challenging.
But i still have some preference on the Pcars Carreer.

Graphics..

Mmmmmm.. Yes,Assetto hasn't got the same level of graphics than Pcars.
But it have less motion blur making them more sharper, i find them good and in illumination i find assetto more realistic in day time.
Pcars is eye-catching and globally is better than assetto but those two points i put above i find them better in assetto.

Climate...

No doubts...here Pcars wins,assetto is only on dry surfaces.

Options...

In That point Pcars is better, it have the same of the PC version, UDP apps, seat and FoV settings, button mapping and go on.
In assetto the buttons are presets and FoV option are limited, not a real good HUD, no UDP apps..but it's just the beginning of the game, so sure there will things implanted and improved.

Damage...

Visual damage is a win for Pcars..
Mechanical damage... Mmmmmm i liked a bit more those of Assetto corsa.. It's less forgiving in 100% damage.. A very little touch already affects your aero.

Controller..
Mmmmmm, Best play the 2 games with a wheel, but the controller on assetto is lots better implemented..and easy to go fast on track with it.
The one of project C.A.R.S is way more complicated to find a global setting to enjoy driving with all the different types of cars.

Final thoughts...

For me the 2 games have good and bad things. But they combine well.
I realy recomend have the 2 games..
You want simulate a race with rain.. In the night and feeling a racing weekend.. You put Pcars on.

You want to Drift,enjoy driving, find track limits,improve your skills... And have also great races..All that with the best FFB i ever tried than you put assetto corsa on.

For the rest.... Assetto got les bugs and issues on day one than Pcars... No landmines, crashes, FFB issues..and go on.
The support in Pcars is on his end,and assetto just started on console with great things to come yet..

But.. If i really have to stay with one of the 2 games... I prefer assetto for his driving physics and FFB... They are really amazing.
And on controller it is also better.

Have you tried the recently improved AI in AC It took a pretty big leap with the last update and it's quite good now. And it looks like it's about to improve more when 1.8 drops today. They used to be not that good but I don't think that's the case anymore, and I've never seen one cut through the grass to pass me, so there's that. :)

I've tried it in 1.7. It's pretty good now. I don't think that there's massive differences between the two games in any department. Other than weather and time I guess.

I understand that the differences on console are bigger, but a lot of the "problems" with pCARS weren't really problems for me on PC. In fact, I'd learned how to deal with most of them myself through the alpha process, modifying the FFB and graphics settings and so on.

BMW Z4 GT3 comparison.

Enjoy and discuss nicely.

I much prefer the lighting of AC. That track in particular in pCARS has always been too heavy on the shadows, especially down the start/finish straight; they're just too black.

Also find the different replay cameras quite interesting. Some angles are better in one game, some in the other. However the more solid performance and lack of tearing is a big plus on the pCARS side. If Kunos improve that then AC will certainly look even better.

8 days and counting for me... :crazy:

I should have seen this coming.

I mean graphically, and I mean on PS4.

For example, the way the shadows fall on the windscreen on Assetto Corsa (that looks like they're throwing big, black pixels at you) or, conversely, the detail that goes into making the helmet camera on Project Cars. That sort of thing.

No need to get all fired up and jump into conclusions.
I'm not fired up and I didn't jump to conclusions. I commented on the word you used. It is up to you to clarify what you mean. I agree with you that PCars does look better but polish isn't about graphics. It's about the whole thing and I stand by what I said. Polished isn't the word I'd use.

Don't get me wrong, I've got PCars and I think it's very good at what it does but I prefer AC. I will pay attention to PCars 2 though.

One of the biggest differences between the 2 games that I've not seen being talked about is the surround sound. My PS4 is plugged in to a 5.1 setup and AC makes full use of the back speakers, which Project CARS doesn't. PC sounds like the engine in the R8 (just one example) is in the front of the car while in AC, you can clearly hear it behind you. For the immersion, it's a massive thumbs up for the newcomer.

Oh and also, the sounds in AC are more violent and natural (can't say organic...). The TheFerrari is incredible in that area.

The other massive difference is that I only had to play with about 3 sliders to get the FFB to my liking once for all (I confirm 100% FFB is too much).

I wasted far too much time in PC trying to figure out how to set it up. And after a while of fiddling back and forth, I would get lost and no longer know where I was going. This (and the UI altogether) is so refreshing.

I won't talk about the FFB/road feel etc as everyone already has...

When I read that someone puts PCars and AC in the same league as far as driving sensation, it makes me wonder what those gamer are experiencing, as to me there is a world of difference. That difference is what makes one worth driving and not the other.
Your own personal experience is not a measure for the rest of the world. Plenty of people on both sides of the fence. There's people that love PCARS and hate AC, people who hate PCARS and love AC, people who love both and people who hate both. Just pick whatever works best for you.

I for one am really happy that there's finally choice on the consoles, competition is a great thing and will only lead to better sims for us in the future. :)

Your own personal experience is not a measure for the rest of the world. Plenty of people on both sides of the fence. There's people that love PCARS and hate AC, people who hate PCARS and love AC, people who love both and people who hate both. Just pick whatever works best for you.

I for one am really happy that there's finally choice on the consoles, competition is a great thing and will only lead to better sims for us in the future. :)

I agree with all your points, depending on what you are most interested in one will prefer one title over the other, just expressing than from my view point I cannot understand placing PCars And AC on the same level when referring to the immersive feeling of driving a car. I never pretended that my point of view was to be a reference for the rest of the world, is anybody's point of view supposed to be ?
I for one am really happy the people on console who place driving above winning when racing in a SIM can finally enjoy AC in all its glory

I agree with you that PCars does look better but polish isn't about graphics. It's about the whole thing and I stand by what I said. Polished isn't the word I'd use.
"Refined", "sophisticated", "accomplished"... These are all words I'd use to describe the visual experience in Project Cars over the one in Assetto Corsa. Incidentally, they're all words used to define "polished".

Why can't I used them related to graphics?

Waxed is the word id use to describe Pcars graphics. At stock levels i think pcars looks way worse then ac but thats because i dislike overly done glossy stuff a ton, the flatness of ac is great as its rare to have that. great graphics is subjective for me for me. That being said though a few people created some ENB reshade mods for pcars to remove the gloss and holy crap it looks fantastic after that

"Refined", "sophisticated", "accomplished"... These are all words I'd use to describe the visual experience in Project Cars over the one in Assetto Corsa. Incidentally, they're all words used to define "polished".

Why can't I used them related to graphics?
You can, but because you didn't mention the word graphics in your original post, it reads as an overall thing not a graphic thing. 👍

Waxed is the word id use to describe Pcars graphics. At stock levels i think pcars looks way worse then ac but thats because i dislike overly done glossy stuff a ton, the flatness of ac is great as its rare to have that. great graphics is subjective for me for me. That being said though a few people created some ENB reshade mods for pcars to remove the gloss and holy crap it looks fantastic after that
Linkie? I must check that out.

I'm very interested to try AC. The last few years of sim racing on the PS system have been very disappointing - particularly the crushing failure of the PS's flagship racing title, GT, to address its basic shortcomings. F1CE, GT5 & 6, Ferrari Challenge & Supercar Challenge, the F1 series & finally PCars - all had some positive things to bring to the table, but none of them presented the total package. PCars is an impressive game in many ways, but the physics are just too compromised to offer a convincing sim experience. Basic physics & FFB remain the most important elements in a sim & no amount of fancy graphics, light effects & weather can compensate for shortcomings in these two areas.

I'm very interested to try AC. The last few years of sim racing on the PS system have been very disappointing - particularly the crushing failure of the PS's flagship racing title, GT, to address its basic shortcomings. F1CE, GT5 & 6, Ferrari Challenge & Supercar Challenge, the F1 series & finally PCars - all had some positive things to bring to the table, but none of them presented the total package. PCars is an impressive game in many ways, but the physics are just too compromised to offer a convincing sim experience. Basic physics & FFB remain the most important elements in a sim & no amount of fancy graphics, light effects & weather can compensate for shortcomings in these two areas.
So what are you waiting for? :P

Back