Difference from Project Cars?

Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
USMCinfinity
I own Project Cars and I enjoy it, but aside the mostly different car collection why would I buy this game when I already own Project Cars?

I've owned and enjoyed Project CARS since May 2015 and one of the reasons I'm getting Assetto Corsa is that I've owned and enjoyed pCARS since May 2015 :P

It's time to put it to one side, try another racer, one that I'm sure will offer me enhanced driving sensations; the FFB, the physics for each car, the laser scanned tracks, the engine sounds and the car brands that pCARS doesn't offer. And that's not even mentioning the silly niggling been-there-since-day-one bugs. I love pCARS, but am really looking forward to AC. If you've only recently bought pCARS then I guess it's a more difficult decision and you could always wait, I've had a year and a half of fun with pCARS, but we can never have too many racing games, right?

Last edited:
Well, many racing games are converging into trying to do essentially the same thing which is simulating race cars as realistically as possible. So you won't find a very different game indeed. What Assetto Corsa does have, in my opinion, is better car physics, especially on low-medium speed corners. If your priority is realism I promise you it's worth it.

I actually stopped playing PCARS because of AC at the beginning of 2016. I was tired of fiddling with tons of sliders for the FFB to work, the AI being inconsistent, having an unfair advantage and passing me over the grass, bugs, and having to overhaul some of the crappy default setups.

Never looked back. I enjoyed PCARS for its strong points and features, but in the end the overall experience of AC seems more polished and qualitative.

I actually stopped playing PCARS because of AC at the beginning of 2016. I was tired of fiddling with tons of sliders for the FFB to work, the AI being inconsistent, having an unfair advantage and passing me over the grass, bugs, and having to overhaul some of the crappy default setups.

Never looked back. I enjoyed PCARS for its strong points and features, but in the end the overall experience of AC seems more polished and qualitative.

I gave it about two to three month, also got tired of the nightmare FFB settings, bugs, inconsistent AI, sometimes off physics/car behavior. It may do more things than AC but it doesn't really do any of them better or even as well as AC (except night and rain). Plus, AC has had very few bugs since I've been playing it, can't even remember the last time I encountered one. I never even bothered reinstalling PCARS after I upgraded to Win10.

I also found there was too much grip in the rain with PCARS. At some moments you'd think the car would start to slide (like accelerating hard out of corners, or turning in too wildly), and the car didn't lose much traction.
Maybe it's me or the settings i used, but i expected more from driving in the wet.

I also found there was too much grip in the rain with PCARS. At some moments you'd think the car would start to slide (like accelerating hard out of corners, or turning in too wildly), and the car didn't lose much traction.
Maybe it's me or the settings i used, but i expected more from driving in the wet.

AI wasnt affected by rain. (at least for most of the time) so it may have been their "fix".

AI wasnt affected by rain. (at least for most of the time) so it may have been their "fix".
Yeah they patched that as at launch it was like the AI was driving in the dry, made them slower but like you say there was always the downside that they didn't have the same physics as you. But my point was more about grip in the wet though, if i recall correctly that was never altered?

Yeah they patched that as at launch it was like the AI was driving in the dry, made them slower but like you say there was always the downside that they didn't have the same physics as you. But my point was more about grip in the wet though, if i recall correctly that was never altered?
I think they mixed up their wet tyre physics with the cold tyre physics as I found some cars ridiculous on colds.

I own Project Cars and I enjoy it, but aside the mostly different car collection why would I buy this game when I already own Project Cars?

According to the PC players, AC does nearly everything it does really well. Things that deserve improvement are nearly always being addressed as far the current engine allows. AC also looks like a good choice if you like Porsche and have nothing against DLC. Looking to buy on console? Time will tell whether you should get it or not.

Last edited:
In my experience the basic cpu/gpu engine in AC is superior to that in PCars. This give more fps at a given resolution providing AC with a smoother more satisfying experience.

I drove in PCars a lot because I liked it's more developed and encompassing career mode but I finally quit as AC continued to improve the driving experience to the point it was no longer very rewarding to drive in PCars.

I also haven't reloaded it following a rebuild of my PC in preparation for VR. I have no plans to reload PCars or try it with my Oculus Rift setup.

To me the difference is what they are passionate about. Kunos is passionate about cars and SMS are passionate about money. What I mean is SMS crammed everything they could think of in the game regardless how well it was implemented. Just put it in so we can put it on a list. You can see it everywhere in the game. A whole lot of half-assed features. Kunos on the other hand only put in what they know they can get right, even though people are screaming everywhere that they must add this or that or your not a real sim. They listen, but continue on the course that they set for themselves. If they can implement what fans are screaming for they do if not they say upfront that it isn't coming.

Ywah, truthfully I could care less about driving with rain(though I do hope we get night stages, that cant be too complicated?).

Can I at least pick and save the livery I want?And how is the tuning process(also saving it)compared to PC?

Ywah, truthfully I could care less about driving with rain(though I do hope we get night stages, that cant be too complicated?).

Can I at least pick and save the livery I want?And how is the tuning process(also saving it)compared to PC?
Night racing is one of those things that wont be in AC. Maybe 2, but not this one.

To me the difference is what they are passionate about. Kunos is passionate about cars and SMS are passionate about money. What I mean is SMS crammed everything they could think of in the game regardless how well it was implemented. Just put it in so we can put it on a list. You can see it everywhere in the game. A whole lot of half-assed features. Kunos on the other hand only put in what they know they can get right, even though people are screaming everywhere that they must add this or that or your not a real sim. They listen, but continue on the course that they set for themselves. If they can implement what fans are screaming for they do if not they say upfront that it isn't coming.

Preach.

Actually they say night racing is impossible on the current engine because it's only designed to have one light source, the sun, meaning your headlights wouldn't light up the track in front of you.

You can pick and save liveries, most street cars have several base colors available and race cars have several liveries available (varies from car to car). For tuning you can adjust whatever can be adjusted on the real car, so race cars have more options than street cars. You can save each setup to the specific track (and you can have multiple setups per track) or as a default setting.

Okay, I'll bite from a PC perspective.

I have both games on PC, 1508 hours on PCARS and 8 hours on AC.
Why, you might ask?

For me, driving in AC feels awesome, but the game is sterile. It is good for time trials, not for racing.

I love endurance racing and only PCARS offers me that.
I love having to make a race strategy for long races and then having to adapt to changing track temps and weather.
I love online racing, but creating an online lobby in AC to race with friends is a nightmare.
The immersion in PCARS is unrivaled for me, it's the only game that makes me really feel like I'm in a car in a race.

I've heard that the PS4 version of AC has great enhancements over the PC version (UI and online lobbies) while the PS4 version of PCARS was full of bugs, so from a PS4 perspective AC may be better, but I don't own a PS4 so I can't really comment.

I love online racing, but creating an online lobby in AC to race with friends is a nightmare.

Why's that? I do it all the time and it's very simple. Takes less than a minute usually to select cars, track, laps, race conditions, then start the server.

Well, main reason I'm buying AC is for the Lotus Evora, which is not present in PC.

edit: So what is the proposed total car count by the end of life?

Well, main reason I'm buying AC is for the Lotus Evora, which is not present in PC.

edit: So what is the proposed total car count by the end of life?
About fifty cars per year, 24 porsches and two mazdas by the end of this year and the four cars in the triple pack. so at least 80 are coming at a guess 15-20 of those will be free

Last edited:
Per year? They'll support this game for how long? What's the current list right now? I saw a few conflicting list, most of them put it around 100.

I agree. Plus, from what ive seen, read, and found out on inside sim racing, the console version of Assetto corsa seems to be like a basic arcade style simplified version of the game, with many settings and options missing from it that appear in the pc version.

In the pc version of assetto there are things like being able to adjust the cockpit camera, and add g force effects, All missing from the console version of the game. There were other settings and options missing too. Its as though they made a simplified arcade style version to also be accessible to casual gamers.

Project cars had absolutely everything from the pc version, every little setting and option. Assetto corsa doesn't. Changing track surfaces and other stuff was also said tio be missing and altering brake pressure resistance. There was also no option to remove the virtual steering wheel and drivers hands. Its basically forza with better physics. All the cool sim like set up options and features from the pc version were not added to the console version. Even the field of view options in the console version video being shown were said to be limited next to the pc version, according to someone who plays the pc version. The FOV was about the only option they added from the pc version, but in a limited way. I cancelled my pre order of assetto corsa. I will get it if the developers start taking us seriously and patch in ALL the features of the full pc version.

I agree. Plus, from what ive seen, read, and found out on inside sim racing, the console version of Assetto corsa seems to be like a basic arcade style simplified version of the game, with many settings and options missing from it that appear in the pc version.

In the pc version of assetto there are things like being able to adjust the cockpit camera, and add g force effects, All missing from the console version of the game. There were other settings and options missing too. Its as though they made a simplified arcade style version to also be accessible to casual gamers.

Project cars had absolutely everything from the pc version, every little setting and option. Assetto corsa doesn't. Changing track surfaces and other stuff was also said tio be missing and altering brake pressure resistance. There was also no option to remove the virtual steering wheel and drivers hands. Its basically forza with better physics. All the cool sim like set up options and features from the pc version were not added to the console version. Even the field of view options in the console version video being shown were said to be limited next to the pc version, according to someone who plays the pc version. The FOV was about the only option they added from the pc version, but in a limited way. I cancelled my pre order of assetto corsa. I will get it if the developers start taking us seriously and patch in ALL the features of the full pc version.
You will be sadly missed..........

Per year? They'll support this game for how long? What's the current list right now? I saw a few conflicting list, most of them put it around 100.
Its about 100 on console about 120 on pc.

Generally proper sims are out for a very long time and consider that a second game means getting the licenses all over again, its money that doesnt need to be spent for the sack of it

Kunos arent like SMS having a set path of 12 months of patches and then second game boom. They have had the mentality of a long time that they havent even thought about it. jokingly said in a few streams that he will post a number of when the folder for AC2 is made.

Also consider that there is ACPRO for the professional drivers, a lot of the VLN, Huracan Super Trofeo, Formula SAE, Porsche, Honda and Ferrari have the professional tier version of AC available(uses same physics but bespoke apps to make the software compatible with their setup and cars).

Minimum AC will have full on support to the end of 2018, with all the licenses they have right now they are set until 2018 and thats not including whatever they announce at the end of this year which tends to get more and more crazy.

As with anything wait until its out and then make a decision you , there isnt enough solid information yet which tends to happen with indie devs not having enough experience with launches. As there is a day one patch wait to see what is including in that, there might be bugs included with that patch or bugs solved not enough is known sadly.

Last edited:
Back